Skip to content

Aqib Talib: “Definitely a relief” to avoid suspension for self-inflicted gunshot

Getty Images

Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib’s offseason in 2016 was interrupted when he inadvertently shot himself in the leg in June, but he learned recently that the incident won’t lead to an interruption of his 2017 season.

The league looked into the incident, which didn’t lead to any charges in Dallas, as a possible violation of the league’s personal conduct policy, but opted not to suspend or fine the veteran corner. Talib discussed the league’s decision for the first time on Tuesday.

“Definitely a relief, man,” Talib said, via ESPN.com. “Just glad I could put it behind me and move on to the season and worry about what I really need to be worrying about.”

Talib said that he was worried last year about how he would hold up physically after wounding himself, but he only missed time because of a back injury and didn’t report any trouble with the leg over the course of the season. He returned from that back injury to close out the season on the field and is expected to join Chris Harris as the team’s starting corners again this year.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: Browns have spoken to teams about moving up from No. 12

Getty Images

In a column for TheMMQB.com on Monday, Peter King reported that seven teams in the top eight of the draft have interest in talking about a trade that would move them down in the draft order.

The only top-eight team not included in that group is the Browns, who have the first overall pick. They also have the No. 12 pick and could be a partner for one of those other teams.

Mike Silver of NFL Media reports that the Browns have had conversations with three teams in the top eight about a trade that would move them further up in the order. Assuming they take Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett with the No. 1 pick, they would presumably be moving back up to get their choice of the draft’s top quarterbacks.

Of that group, North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky has been mentioned most often as the player the Browns would like to add to their offense.

Silver adds that the completion of any trade is likely to happen once a team is on the clock Thursday night as plans may change based on which players have come off the board.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: Gareon Conley won’t attend draft

Getty Images

Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley was among the players the NFL announced as draft attendees this year, but a report that he’s named in a police report regarding an allegation of sexual assault appears to have changed his plans.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Conley will not be in Philadelphia for this week’s event.

Conley has been widely projected to be a first-round pick over the last couple of months, but the allegation reported by TMZ is likely to have an impact on where he winds up going. Conley’s lawyer has called the allegations “ludicrous and ridiculous” and Conley has not been charged with any crime, but there’s a recent example that doesn’t bode well for Conley.

Offensive lineman La’El Collins was expected to be a high pick a couple of years ago, but went undrafted after he was not cleared of involvement in the murder of an ex-girlfriend. Collins signed with the Cowboys after eventually being cleared.

Conley could be cleared of any wrongdoing between now and Thursday, but anything short of that could lead to a drop that Conley apparently wants to avoid reacting to in front of cameras.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Titans pick up Taylor Lewan’s 2018 option

Getty Images

The list of teams picking up their options for a fifth-year on the contract of their 2014 first-round picks continues to grow.

Titans left tackle Taylor Lewan is the latest addition. Field Yates of ESPN.com reported the move was made on Tuesday afternoon.

Lewan was the 11th overall pick in 2014 and started six games as a rookie before moving into a full-time role on the first team the next year. He’s started 31-of-32 games over the last two seasons and joins 2016 first-round pick Jack Conklin as anchors on either side of an offensive line that helped the team vault from 25th to 3rd in rushing yards last year.

A long-term extension for Lewan would set the Titans up for more of the same for several years to come and would also clear the way for the team to focus on a new deal for quarterback Marcus Mariota after he completes his third NFL season.

UPDATE 2:36 p.m. ET: Titans General Manager Jon Robinson made the option decision official at a Tuesday press conference.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

T.J. Lang expects to be ready for camp after having offseason surgery

Getty Images

The Lions made an early splash in free agency when they signed guard T.J. Lang away from the Packers to assist them in their quest to finish above Green Bay in the NFC North.

Their desire to add Lang wasn’t slowed by the fact that he needed a pair of surgeries after the Packers’ season ended with a playoff loss to the Falcons. Lang had operations on his foot and hip and provided an update on his recovery Tuesday.

Lang will be an observer as the Lions go through their offseason workouts and organized team activities, but said that he is a little ahead of the initial recovery schedule. That leaves Lang on track to be ready to go for training camp this summer and for the start of his first season with the team as well.

When Lang is healthy enough to get back on the field, he’ll join an offense that he said is working toward a more consistent running game. Lang and new right tackle Rick Wagner are part of that effort and we’ll see if a new running back is on the draft shopping list this week.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Brian Robison: Opening night against Adrian Peterson will be “electric”

Getty Images

When running back Adrian Peterson was on the Vikings, the defense didn’t tackle him during practices which means defensive end Brian Robison has to reach way back in the memory bank to recall a time when he brought Peterson down.

That came when Robison was playing for the University of Texas against Peterson’s Oklahoma Sooners, but Robison and the rest of the Vikings defenders will get their chance to try their luck against Peterson soon enough. Peterson is joining the Saints and will open the season in Minnesota on a Monday night, which Robison predicts, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press, will be an “electric atmosphere.”

It will also be an opportunity to answer a question that was debated while Peterson still played for the Vikings.

“He always said he could run on us, we say he could never run on us … something has to break,” Robison said, via Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

The first game of the season is always one that generates a lot of interest and nationally televised games get an extra boost, but Peterson’s decision will push his first game with the Saints well beyond the usual levels of anticipation.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Jamaal Charles’ agent reminds teams his client is available

Getty Images

Adrian Peterson has agreed to a deal with the Saints, leaving the free agent market with one less veteran back with the draft getting underway in a couple of days.

One of the remaining unsigned backs is trying to drum up interest in his services as well. Agent David Mulugheta posted a video of client Jamaal Charles doing drills with the caption “its not a matter of “IF” but a matter of “WHEN”! #ComebackSeason.” Charles tore his ACL in October 2015 and returned for three games last year before needing more knee surgery that ended his season.

Charles visited the Seahawks in March, but Seattle opted to sign Eddie Lacy as a free agent instead. There haven’t been any other public expressions of interest in the longtime Chiefs back, which is something that Charles and his agent would obviously like to change.

Showing he’s healthy can’t hurt on that front, but the draft will satisfy the backfield needs of several teams and LeGarrette Blount is another free agent option without Charles’ injury history who could take a job before Charles finds a new home.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Deshaun Watson: Pick Mitchell Trubisky over me and live with the consequences

Getty Images

The suspense will likely end on Thursday night for the top players in this year’s group of draft-eligible quarterbacks as the first round kicks off and teams start adding rookies to their roster ahead of the 2017 season.

Two of the quarterbacks at the top of that list are North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky and Clemson’s Deshaun Watson, neither of whom has established himself as the clear No. 1 choice across the board a couple of days ahead of the draft. Watson was on NFL Network Tuesday and shared his message for any team that might opt for Trubisky over him.

“You’re gonna have to live with the consequences that come with it. That’s how I see it,” Watson said. “I try to stay in my lane. I try not to take the path. I respect Mitch and what he’s done and all the hype he’s getting, but at the same time, my result speaks for itself. I feel like I’ve accomplished everything that I could. I guess if that’s who they’re gonna roll with, so be it.”

Among the biggest differences between the two quarterbacks is experience. Trubisky started for one year in Chapel Hill while Watson led Clemson to two straight national title games to give him a big edge in time as a starter. That is just one of the data points that teams will have to consider and it’s clear what side of the fence Watson believes is the more significant one.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Mike Maccagnan has “no problem” taking players off board due to violence

Getty Images

It won’t be long before we know which team is willing to look past the video of Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon punching a woman in the face to draft him to their roster, but we’re getting some idea about where he won’t be winding up.

Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff suggested Atlanta was not a landing spot and his Jets counterpart Mike Maccagnan did the same during a Monday press conference. Maccagnan wouldn’t reveal whether Mixon is off the board, but said the Jets don’t take domestic violence lightly and referenced his “personal experience” from Houston when a friend was killed by her husband.

That incident led Maccagnan and his wife to begin working with the One Love foundation to combat domestic violence and Maccagnan explained some of his process for dealing with players with a history of violence.

“We vet this stuff as thoroughly as we can,” Maccagnan said, via the New York Daily News. “We try to make sure we’re accurate in terms of passing our verdict on if we think they’re guilty or bad or whatever. We take that very seriously. In the end, I have no problem whatsoever taking players off the board from that standpoint. I’d rather make sure we focus on players that are good players and ideally good people and good members of our society.”

Some have opined that the Jets would be a good landing spot for Leonard Fournette with the No. 6 overall pick. They may not go that way, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to be because they are waiting to take Mixon later in the process.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Tuesday morning one-liners

Getty Images

Mike Gillislee’s departure opens up a bigger role for RB Jonathan Williams with the Bills.

A look at all the players who visited with the Dolphins in the pre-draft process.

The Patriots’ offseason moves de-emphasized the draft.

The Jets aren’t saying if they will pick up S Calvin Pryor’s option for the 2018 season.

What’s on the line for the Ravens in this year’s draft?

Assessing whether Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon will land with Bengals.

If the Browns don’t draft Myles Garrett with the No. 1 pick, what defensive players could they get at No. 12?

The Steelers could add competition at inside linebacker in the draft.

Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins won’t be watching the draft.

Will the Colts roll the dice on players with character risks?

Five things the Jaguars need for a successful 2017 season.

Said Titans RB DeMarco Murray to the incoming rookie class, “Nothing is going to be given to you, no matter what you did in college, no matter how many yards, records you’ve broken, what kind of guy you were, all of that.”

Broncos G.M. John Elway said it is a deep tight end class in this year’s draft.

A look at the Chiefs’ draft-day trades under G.M. John Dorsey.

Some inside linebacker possibilities for the Raiders.

Said Chargers G.M. Tom Telesco of drafting a quarterback, “We’ve done that same amount of work this year.  Whether it lines up in this draft or not, I don’t really know.  Whether it lines up in next year’s draft in 2018 or 2019, I don’t really know.  But I know we’ll be prepared with the work we’ve done in case that arises.”

Not everyone is buying what the Cowboys are selling regarding LB Jaylon Smith.

Giants WR Odell Beckham responded to the team picking up his 2018 option.

S Malcolm Jenkins would like to see the Eagles add another Ohio State player.

Will the Redskins improve their defense in this year’s draft?

Making 13 cases for the Bears drafting a quarterback at No. 3.

This year’s running back class looks like a good one for the Lions.

The Packers may be adding to the defensive line again.

Running through the biggest draft steals in Vikings history.

Falcons WR Mohamed Sanu got a nice note after a recent flight.

Edge rusher prospects for the Panthers to consider.

A vote for the Saints taking Tennessee DE Derek Barnett in the first round.

Linebacker isn’t a big draft need for the Buccaneers.

With compensatory picks expected in 2018, the Cardinals could use some of next year’s picks to move up this year.

Jackie Slater and Jack Youngblood will be involved with the Rams’ draft festivities.

49ers G.M. John Lynch finds value in mock drafts.

Germain Ifedi is happy to be back at right tackle for the Seahawks.

Permalink 0 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Albert Wilson signs RFA tender with Chiefs

Getty Images

The deadline for restricted free agents to sign with other teams has come and gone, which leaves players yet to sign their tenders with little reason not to do so.

Chiefs wide receiver Albert Wilson is among the latest to come to that conclusion. The NFL’s transaction wire brings word that Wilson has signed his tender, which leaves him set to make $1.797 million in Kansas City this season.

Wilson has spent the last three years with the Chiefs and made five starts last season. He caught 31 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns and also had a 55-yard touchdown run while playing the third-most snaps at wideout behind Jeremy Maclin and Chris Conley.

The Chiefs didn’t add any free agents to the group, which also includes 2016 rookie standout Tyreek Hill. An addition in the draft this week and a bigger role for Hill could lead to a different one for Wilson come September.

Permalink 5 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Mike Maccagnan: Interest in QBs isn’t referendum on Christian Hackenberg

Getty Images

The Jets used a second-round pick on quarterback Christian Hackenberg last year, but that decision doesn’t appear to have taken quarterbacks off the table for an early pick in this year’s draft.

The Jets have spent time with the top prospects in this year’s class and the sixth pick in the draft leaves them in prime position to add one of them to the roster on Thursday night. General Manager Mike Maccagnan wasn’t tipping his hand in any direction during a press conference on Monday, but he did say that the time the Jets were spending with quarterbacks over the last month was not a sign that they were writing off Hackenberg.

“I know it’s like: If this happens, then this must be the case,” Maccagnan said, via NJ.com. “I don’t think it’s a referendum on one or another player. I think it’s: Until you’re in a position where you feel [good] with where you’re at — and we’re not at that position yet. But we may be. Time will tell.”

Maccagnan’s hardly the first to espouse that philosophy and, as he shared Monday, former Packers G.M. Ron Wolf shared his belief in drafting a quarterback every year while interviewing Maccagnan as a Jets consultant in 2015.

Time will also tell whether the Jets are making the sixth pick or not, of course. They’re reportedly interested in trading down and their spot could move as they try to stockpile picks to reseed a roster that’s in need of help in several spots this offseason.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: Adrian Peterson, Saints closing in on deal

Getty Images

Word came Monday that the Saints and running back Adrian Peterson are still talking about a contract and they reportedly are moving toward doing more than that.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the two sides are “closing in” on a deal that would put Peterson in a Saints uniform for the 2017 season. Per the report, the deal would be for $3 million-plus.

There’s no word on when things may move from closing in to closed, although the draft may provide some impetus to get things done sooner rather than later. The Saints would likely want to know if they need to add a running back at some point this week as they are thin at the spot beyond Mark Ingram and signing a deal now would keep Peterson from losing out on possible landing spots due to how the draft unfolds.

If the Saints do sign Peterson, he’ll see some familiar faces in his first regular season game with his new team as last week’s schedule announcement revealed the Saints and Vikings will square off on the first Monday night of the year.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Chargers plan to exercise Jason Verrett’s 2018 option

Getty Images

Four years from now, we’ll be talking about whether or not teams will exercise their fifth-year options on this year’s first-round picks.

If the Chargers hit on their top pick, they likely won’t be spending much time mulling that question. They feel they hit in the first round in 2014 when they drafted cornerback Jason Verrett and General Manager Tom Telesco said on Monday that the team plans to exercise the 2018 option on his contract.

Any doubt the Chargers might have about exercising the option likely comes from his injury history. Verrett has played at a high level, but has missed 24 games because of injuries. The most recent was a torn ACL in the fourth week of last season and Verrett also missed 10 games as a rookie due to a torn labrum.

His option for 2018 is guaranteed against injury and the Chargers certainly hope that won’t wind up being an issue when the 2017 season comes to an end.

Permalink 1 Comment Feed for comments Back to top

Joey Bosa at Chargers workouts Monday

Getty Images

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco held his pre-draft press conference on Monday and most of the time was spent painting the same broad strokes about the team’s plans for later this week that you hear from every team at this point in the year.

Telesco did provide one newsworthy item about the team’s top pick from last year during the session, however. Telesco said that defensive end Joey Bosa was at the team’s workout on Monday after missing the first few weeks of the voluntary offseason program.

“He was in this morning so I think we’re all good there,” Telesco said.

Bosa was working out on his own the last few weeks and his play last year after missing a much larger period of time while negotiating his contract showed that being away from the team didn’t hold him back too much. That should make his temporary absence this year a distant memory by the time the start of the 2017 season arrives.

Permalink 1 Comment Feed for comments Back to top