In keeping with the theme of teams and players hustling to get contract matters resolved before starting their regular seasons, the Bengals and wide receiver A.J. Green have agreed to a four-year extension.
The Cincinnati Enquirer was first to report that the deal was completed Friday, just before a team-imposed deadline to finish it before the Bengals fly to Oakland for Sunday’s season opener.
The Enquirer report said Green will get more money, sooner, and on average make more per year than fellow receivers Dez Bryant, Julio Jones and Demayrius Thomas, all of whom recently signed contracts in the neighborhood of $70 million over five years.
PFT has confirmed that a key negotiating point was the Bengals not guaranteeing money past the first year, making the duration of the deal key to Green’s representatives. He signed a four-year extension worth $60 million that puts his total contract in that five-year, $70 million range; settling on a four-year deal, not five, helped the sides get the contract finalized.
The No. 4 overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, Green has helped the Bengals to four straight playoff appearances and made four consecutive Pro Bowls while catching 329 passes for 4,874 yards and 35 touchdowns.
Eli Manning and the Giants have been talking contract, and Friday morning brought multiple reports that the deal is done.
A major hurdle, per ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, was a no-trade clause for a player who came to the Giants via a draft-day trade back in 2004 and has since won two Super Bowls. PFT confirmed Thursday that the sides were also debating offset language with the guaranteed money.
The deal, as reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, is a four-year extension worth $84 million, $65 million guaranteed, bringing Manning’s five-year total to $101.5 million. The signing bonus on the new deal is $31 million.
Manning said earlier this week he didn’t want to be negotiating during the season, so Manning getting his money and his wishes two days before the season opener means both the player and the team can move forward happily.
What was assumed given the circumstances is now official via Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. Safety Kam Chancellor, whose training camp holdout has continued into this week, won’t play Sunday vs. the Rams.
“He’s not here, so he’s not playing,” Carroll told reporters Wednesday. “That’s it.”
A report earlier this week said some of Chancellor’s teammates believe he’s willing to sit out the entire 2015 season.
Chancellor was subject to a fine of $30,000 per day of camp he missed, and now his absence gets really expensive. During the regular season, Chancellor loses one-seventeenth of his $4.55 million salary each week he misses, more than a quarter of a million dollars a week.
Carroll said “it’s a week to week thing” with the holdout, indicating he believes there’s at least some chance Chancellor’s accountant will convince him to show up soon.
“I am disappointed in this, very much so,” Carroll said. “I think everyone should be.”
Dion Bailey will start Sunday in Chancellor’s place
A four-year contract extension announced Saturday night will keep quarterback Philip Rivers with the Chargers through 2019.
The news was first reported by Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego and then quickly confirmed by the Chargers. The extension was done after a summer of posturing by both sides and rumors that talks would be shelved with the regular season approaching.
Don’t believe everything you hear. Or something.
Acee reported the deal is worth $84 million and $65 million guaranteed. Had the sides not worked out a deal, the exclusive franchise tag for 2016 would have been around $25 million, so it was in the team’s interests to get this deal done now for many reasons.
In addition to a bunch more guaranteed money, the extension gives Rivers, 33, peace of mind and gives the team at least some level of stability with rumors of a move to Los Angeles still swirling.
Rivers posted his fourth career 30-touchdown season in 2014 and went over 4,000 yards passing for the sixth time. He’s started 144 straight games for the Chargers.
A tumultuous offseason for former Saints defensive end Charles Grant will end happily.
Steve Wyche of NFL Network reports that Grant agreed to a two-year deal with the Dolphins. Grant was cut by the Saints back in March and has been recovering from a torn triceps. There were whispers about his desire to play again, while an involuntary manslaughter charge was dropped against him Georgia.
(Oh, and the Starcaps case figures to hang over him until he can collect social security.)
In Grant, Miami adds yet another big body and more flexibility for their defensive line. He doesn’t figure to play every down and may not be a lock for the team, but he’s an intriguing option to help stuff the run if healthy.
One down, three Colts veterans to go.
Indianapolis agreed to terms with safety Antonie Bethea on a four-year, $27 million contract, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Bethea is due $18 million over the next two years.
On one hand, it’s surprising to see Bethea get paid before Peyton Manning. But this was a simpler deal to finish and the Colts clearly placed a priority on Bethea over disgruntled veterans Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne, who both have two years left on their deal.
We are somewhat surprised the Colts are willing to pay another safety so much money after sinking cash in to Bob Sanders. Most teams don’t value the position that much, but Indianapolis identifies core players and isn’t afraid to pay them handsomely.
Next up: Peyton Manning.
All has been quiet on the John Henderson front since he didn’t visit the Chiefs just after April’s draft, but the free agent defensive tackle has finally found a new home.
Notorious collectors of former first-round picks, the Raiders have agreed to terms with Henderson — the No. 9 overall selection in 2002 — on a one-year contract
, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Behind perhaps only O.J. Atogwe, Henderson is the premier defender on the free agent market. Henderson, 31, has lost much of his pass-rush ability, but remains a quality run stopper. He is also capable of playing both defensive end in a 3-4 defense and tackle in a 4-3. The Raiders have hinted that they will be using more 3-4 fronts by trading for outside linebackers Kamerion Wimbley and Quentin Groves, and drafting Nick Saban disciple Rolando McClain with the eighth overall pick.
At 6-foot-7 and 335 pounds, Henderson gives the Raiders an imposing bookend for 6-foot-6, 310-pounder Richard Seymour.
The Raiders, though, will probably still find a way to again rank among the NFL’s worst run defenses.
Speaking to ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky, Texans G.M. Rick Smith made it clear that the team has a deadline for negotiations about a restructured contract for wide receiver Andre Johnson.
“Our policy’s been that we’ll look at deals and we’ll try to get things done during the offseason,” explained Smith. “But once the season starts, our entire focus as an organization goes to football and playing games.”
Smith acknowledged that the Texans have been in discussions with Johnson’s new agent, Kennard McGuire, though no new deal seems imminent.
“It’s pretty well known that he’s hired Kennard and we’ve been in contact,” Smith confirmed. “So I’ll just leave it there.”
Though Johnson has outplayed the eight-year, $60 million extension he signed in 2007 relative to other top NFL receivers, his camp is in a difficult position. The Texans have Johnson under control through the 2014 season, with impending salaries of $5.8 million (2010), $6.8 million (2011), $7.3 million (2012), $7 million (2013), and $7.3 million (2014).
The sides will have to get creative to get something done before Smith’s deadline.
Citing a source with the NFL Players Association, the Denver Post reports that the Broncos have threatened to reduce unsigned restricted free agent Elvis Dumervil’s tender offer if he doesn’t sign the team’s initial one-year proposal by Monday.
Dumervil is currently wearing a first- and third-round tender that would pay him $3.168 million in 2010. He would prefer a long-term contract, and has made a good faith gesture by practicing with the team on an injury waiver during negotiations. Dumervil led the NFL in sacks last season, is only 26 years old, and by all accounts is a quality citizen. He fully intends to participate in Denver’s minicamp this weekend.
The Broncos are still playing hardball.
Second-year coach Josh McDaniels’ team could reduce Dumervil’s tender to as little as $630,000 if he doesn’t sign the $3.168 million offer by next Tuesday.
The Falcons announced the signing of seventh-round pick, safety Shann Schillinger on Thursday morning.
The 200-pound player helped Montana reach the D-1 (formerly 1-AA) National Championship game in back-to-back years. To make room for him, the Falcons waived quarterback Eric Ward.
Shann will try to replace the character from Oz played by the father in Juno as the most famous Schillinger of all time.
Two late-round picks by Buffalo have agreed to terms, according to Scout’s Adam Caplan.
Sixth-round linebacker Arthur Moats from James Madison will earn $1.9 million over the next four years, including $112,000 guaranteed. Moats is making the transition from a college defensive end to inside linebacker, where the new 3-4 Bills defense needs help.
Hopefully he doesn’t fight any teammates for his meeting room chair.
Also coming to terms was seventh-round quarterback Levi Brown. He gets $69,000 guaranteed and $1.86 million if he makes it through four years. First, he has to hope the Bills cut one of their veteran quarterbacks in training camp. Browns looks ticketed for the practice squad otherwise.
Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez says he only failed one drug test in college, despite reports to the contrary.
Whatever the truth is, Hernandez’s off-field problems cost him in terms of 2010 pay. The details of his four-year contract are eye-opening. Albert Breer of the Boston Globe writes that Hernandez only received a $200,000 signing bonus, $308,000 less than Bears defensive end Corey Wooten, taken four spots in front of him.
Hernandez can make that money back and then some in the form of roster bonuses if he makes the team in 2011, 2012, and 2013. So Hernandez will be fine if he stays out of trouble and performs well.
But there’s a reason you don’t see many rookie deals like this. It doesn’t contain a lot of security. It makes us wonder if something like a failed test or placement in the league’s substance abuse program is already at play here. After all, the Patriots knew Hernandez’s history when they drafted him.
He paid for that history once with falling draft stock, and just paid for it again.
Darin Gantt of the Charlotte Observer and Rock Hill Herald reports that Panthers restricted free agents Thomas Davis and Richard Marshall signed their one-year tenders on Tuesday.
Davis, a linebacker, will collect $3.268 million after receiving the highest possible tender (first and third round). The former first-round pick is coming off a torn ACL, but was recently timed at 4.47 in the forty-yard dash
, indicating that his recovery has gone smoothly. The Panthers run a Tampa 2-style defense under second-year coordinator Ron Meeks, and Davis’ role on the weak side is crucial in the scheme.
Marshall, a cornerback, is now slated for a $1.759 million base salary. Though Marshall was initially upset with the restricted free agent tender, he reported to offseason workouts in late May and has been a regular participant ever since.
The Bills announced Tuesday that they have signed seventh-round pick Kyle Calloway to a four-year contract.
Calloway bookended No. 23 overall pick Bryan Bulaga at Iowa as the Hawkeyes’ right tackle. A 37-game starter under Kirk Ferentz, Calloway possesses the build at 6-foot-7, 315 to stay at tackle in the pros. He is considered to lack ideal athleticism, however.
Still, it would be an ominous sign for Calloway if he failed to make the team. The Bills have perhaps the weakest offensive tackle corps in the league.
To make room on the 80-man roster, the Bills waived undrafted rookie cornerback Stephan Virgil.
The Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have come to terms with rookie tight end Aaron Hernandez on a four-year contract.
Though considered in some circles to be a borderline first-round talent, Hernandez fell all the way to round four (No. 113 overall) due to a torn muscle in his back and concern over multiple failed drug tests as a Florida Gator
. Hernandez did pass his drug test at February’s Scouting Combine.
With the Patriots, Hernandez has the look of New England’s “move” tight end
of the future, behind on-the-line tight end Rob Gronkowski. Gronkowski projects as an every-down player because he is a skilled blocker, but Hernandez may wind up with more production because of his catch-first role.