REPORT: STALLWORTH'S BAC WAS 0.12 PERCENT

Things aren’t looking good for Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth.
According to the Miami Herald, Stallworth’s blood-alcohol concentration was 0.12 percent after the incident that claimed the life of Mario Reyes.
A source with knowledge of the investigation tells us that Stallworth’s blood was taken twice — once after the accident and again an hour later.  It’s not known whether the 0.12 percent result arises from the earlier test or the later one.
We previously have reported that prosecutors are ready to file DUI manslaughter charges against Stallworth, pending the results of the blood test.
A source with knowledge of the investigation told us on Saturday that Stallworth admitted to drinking at least four Patrons and two Margaritas.  Another source said Stallworth claimed that he had his last drink at midnight.
The collision occurred after 7:00 a.m. local time.

70 responses to “REPORT: STALLWORTH'S BAC WAS 0.12 PERCENT

1. And y’all want to grill Ricky Williams for blazing? What’s the frequency of ganja smoker’s and traffic related fatalities?

2. If, and I repeat, If it is true that his BAC was over the limit, they should put him in prison, no bail, as he awaits trial. He has the means to flee, and being a drunk driver at 7 am means that no one is safe if he is roaming the streets. Harsh? Yes, but thats the risk you take when you drive drunk. Before people start with the innocent until proven guilty, lets not forget that a husband/father/son lost his life and doesn’t have the “freedom” he should have. Another athlete that evidently doesn’t think the rules of society apply to him.

3. I know the economy is bad and taxi prices are up but for a professional athlete to not be able to pay for a cab home from the bar is kinda rediculous. All these players have enough money to have drivers, have people carry guns to protect them and so on, USE IT.

4. That’s rough the tough luck thing for him is its definitely gonna be longer than 90 days because Leonard little

5. Why do these idiots do such stupid stuff when they could easily pay for a cab home? I hate to see this cuz you know that they have PLENTY of extra money for a cab or even a limo

6. It is entirely possible to be .12 at 7AM if you had your last drink at midnight. Your body eliminates .015%/hr so that would mean in 7 hours he dropped his BAC by .105%. That would place his BAC at around .23% at midnight.
    Those would be six drinks with far more alcohol than a standard drink to get a 200 lb man to .23 though if that is in fact how many he had.

7. Browns should have never given him reason to celebrate they are half of the blame they should be arrested as well

8. Actually in defense of the browns I believe his 4.8 mill bonus was fully guaranteed so cutting him wouldn’t have kept him from partying

9. phinsfan19 says: ouch, sorry Donte
    sorry donte? dude made a stupid decision and it cost another guy their life. i think the way to phrase this would be that donte is sorry (as in pathetic, a loser who deserves life in prison)

10. Speaking of turds (allegedly). Mike, I have a suggestion for the improvement of Turd Watch. Reduce the points of felony arrest/conviction to 6 pts a piece.. But add in the possibility to get extra points.
    – 1 pt for signing a guy recently arrested/convicted of a misdemeanor
    – 2 pts for signing a guy recently arrested/convicted of a felony
    Then Turd teams could go for the one or two point conversion. What constitutes “recent”? How the hell should I know? That’s your job to figure out. I don’t have all damn day to be posting on some stupid political message board that occassionally covers quasi-pro football stories.

11. Come here Donte…….Big bob has a sandwich for ya!!!!!!
    At least his hamstrings will get the time off they sorely need!!!!

12. At what point in time do people recognize that drinking and driving is a serious offense. Maybe if is BAC was 0, he would have been able to miss this pedestrian regardless of if he was crossing the street correctly or not. To me.., it’s quite amusing when people talk about Ray Lewis being a killer. The only thing he’s killed is a few RB careers. Donte Stallworth is a legitimate killer. He knowingly chose to drive a car, knowing he was intoxicated. Premeditated actions as far as I see it. He made the choice and he F’ed up. Its a shame his self indulgence had to cost a life.

13. Consider this.
    So, he wakes up early in the morning to drive to the beach.
    Now, would this man, a football player, have any reasonable expectation to KNOW that he is legally drunk? I mean, he may have felt a little rough around the edges, but would he have known without a reasonable doubt NOT to get behind the wheel of a car because he was over the limit? How would anyone know?

14. Noriega says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 4:53 pm
    Drinking isnt an exact Science as you try and make it out to be..

15. “phinsfan19 says:
    ouch, sorry Donte ”
    really, sorry Donte???????
    How about the family of the dead man?

16. Come here Donte………Big Bob has a sandwich for ya!!!!!!
    This should give his hamstrings the time off they need!!!!!
    DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!!!!

17. Consider this.
    So, he wakes up early in the morning to drive to the beach.
    Ignorance isnt an excuse to break the law………If anyone one of us would have done this we would be in jail now!!!!!!

18. Mike Hunt;
    What the hell are you drinking, you alcoholic addict idiot.
    By the way, do you know if I can find any in Nevada?

19. For those of you who doesnt know who Big Bob is…..He is the guy who hands out the cockmeat sandwiches in jail….

20. “bye bye money, bye bye freedom”-donte stallworth
    hey florio, any objection to skipping the turd watch this season and just awarding the title to the Browns pending conviction?

21. “Let’s just take the man at his word and say that he was drinking up until midnight, when he went to bed.
    So, he wakes up early in the morning to drive to the beach.
    Now, would this man, a football player, have any reasonable expectation to KNOW that he is legally drunk? ”
    Sounds like a good excuse to me, hey i didnt know i was drunk so i shouldnt get punished. maybe albert haynesworth didnt know he had metal spikes in his shoes, oops sorry. plaxico didnt the gun laws, my bad. marshawn lynch didnt mean to get caught, i learned my lesson. matt jones thought he was sniffing powder sugar, they tricked him. none of the 20+ DUIs in the last 2 years meant to drink, they thought it was just water.

22. It’s a terrible situation. I can’t get hypocritical on him and scorn his actions personally. If he was driving at 7AM he probably thought he did the responsible thing and waited it off somewhere, crashing on a couch or getting a piece of arse and not wrecking his Bentley right outside the club… but having been in that position before and thinking I was too doing the right thing, I could also tell that I’d probably blow illegal even though the sun was up on the next morning. What do you do when you’re half way home though? (Insert stupid Christian rhetoric here)
    We sinners should all take notice though and learn from Stallworth’s situation here. But also, the one poster before me is right. Saying “midnight” doesn’t mean 12AM. I’m supposed to believe that Stallworth was getting “gone on Patron” and margaritas and had an alarm on his Rolex go off (which they don’t have) and tell him he had to be home by midnight? Nope, not buyin that timeline at all.

23. VegasChris I agree, and from experience. I was at a house one night with a few girls I had met, we all got really really drunk. In the morning about 5 hours later I woke up, hopped into my car and drove to the beach since the house wasnt more then 10 minutes away. I felt hung over but fine to drive but after I got out and took off my clothes and laid on the beach I really started feeling drunk again, eventually fell asleep for a couple hours laying on beach(sunburn 🙁 ) If someone would have jumped out in front of me while driving and I hit them I would have told the cops I had no clue what the retard was doing.
    They would ask me if i had been drinking I’d say no, then last night I did, they would eventually test me for BAC and I’d be booked for DUI manslaughter unless there was witnessess to specifically say I had no chance of avoiding, or the persons friends said the guy had been talking suicide.
    I personally don’t believe if something like that happened, any man should be jailed. We are so quick to lock people up, with things like this its all about prevention and information. There are plenty of alcoholics who should never drive but I think just as many if not more casual drinkers who don’t abuse end up with DUI manslaughter. It sad situation for both the victim and the person driving.

24. This has not been corroborated by Miami PD. Official toxicology will be released tomorrow. This is UNCONFIRMED.

25. .12 means 12% of what was pumping thru his veins was straight alcohol. Most legal limits are in the .08 range (8% dummies) and that’s not a lot of alcohol imparement. So he had 1.5 times what the legal limit is. If he had 4 shots and 2 margaritas (basically 6 to 8 shots total) and was driving at 7AM, I think that there’s at least symbolically the effort made on his behalf to not have driven smashed, and I can’t fault a person for trying to abide by the laws when there’s no BAL meter handy. This wasn’t malicious law breaking. There are no winners here.

26. Why don’t these athletes call cabs?
    Clearly, it’s not a money issue.
    Is it such an inconvenience to wait for a cab and then have to call another cab the next day to go get your car? It must be or else this wouldn’t be happening so often.

27. @deanezag….. took the words out of my mouth
    OJ just called, he had no idea holding up a bunch of dudes with a gun was wrong. Seriously, the blood tests don’t lie… if he’s admitting 6 drinks, the conventional adjustment (in the medical field) is to double it.
    I do, however, wish there was some other way of knowing what happened. Of course, we’ll never know the truth, but there is the chance that the pedestrian darted out…. Where was that account that he veered around a parked car to run a light? Was that verified?

28. Hey secretd: My son was almost killed by a drunk driver, so I have no sympathy for this type of logic. We were lucky that he survived. Mario Reyes’ family was not. They lost their father to someone else’s stupidity, and you think it is judgemental to call drunk driving stupid? It is stupid, and careless, and since you apparently have done this yourself, I would just ask you, from a Mom who almost lost a child, to JUST NOT DRIVE at all if you’ve been drinking. It’s not that difficult. Just don’t do it.
    I hope for justice, legal and financial, for the Reyes family.

29. Considering he just signed that fat contract why didn’t he get a cab, limo or have someone drive him in his Bentley. I think these athletes need to watch Entourage and then go find their own Turtle to drive them and get their weed and hos.

30. First, everyone thats been to a bar probably has drank a few to many, and made the same call to drive when they shouldn’t… but regular folks that do that face the consequences of their actions… and Donte is no different…. To the guy who posted he was fine after sleeping to drive… you are assuming Donte Stallworth stopped drinking when he claimed too, but he was probably drinking the whole night…. Mario Reyes family should get every damn asset this jag off owns as soon as its confirmed he was drunk…. yank his houses, cars, money, jewerly, and even his clothes, cause thats what the Reyes family has left of their Dad and Husband. The bigger crime is this guy had millions and could’ve easy paid for a driver… my sister was hit by a drunk dentist, where he didnt no what he hit so he back over her head to, and she was in a coma 57 days, she survived, but my parents lost everything in bankrucpy cause of the medical bills…. that dentist got a ticket and a fine thats all.

31. Mike Hunt = Douche Bag
    It’s obvious you don’t know much of what you’re talking about. The car in front of Donte stopped and Donte killed Mr. Reyes while driving around the car in front of him. Don’t blame the victim. Blame the thug who can’t celebrate without alcohol.

32. To: Chattylicker
    So with your way of thinking anyone that ever got a bonus and committed a crime is just as to blame. You are an IDIOT !

33. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if he has already had money withdrawn and has booked passage to a non-extradition country.

34. It’s too bad Vick is just getting out of jail. It looks like his prison team was about to get its receiver.

35. i see the posse is back. with more excuses.
    doesnt matter if the victim was drunk. someone else was drunk and driving fast, and killed him.
    stallworth was drunk. there is no proof he had a nap or that one did any good.
    any of us would already be in the can.
    so… go to jail. do not collect $200. i am sure the browns will go after that bonus anyway.

36. @ VegasChris
    I have two friends who got DUIs the morning after drinking. Both got pulled over for something stupid but smelled like Kerry Collins so they got tested by the officer and ended up over .08.
    Chances are, Stallworth was probably not waking up for an early morning drive to the beach, but it’s def. possible to get popped for DUI the morning after sleeping off a bender.

37. Everyone forgets that waking up after a night of heavy drinking and heading home IS drunk driving. You can sleep for 8 hours and still blow above the legal limit. I’ve had a lot of practice drinking and .12 can and will cause some and decisions.

38. This is really sad for both parties involved.
    “A wise man learns from his mistakes,
    a super wise man learns from the mistakes of others”.

39. Given the roster bonus he received earlier that day Stallworth will be able to hire an attorney who can sell a jury on the positive news that Stallworth’s blood was 99.88% alcohol free.

40. He was probably up late drinking hard. A for a guy his size it would take about 3 stiff drinks to get to .08 bac give or take. If he really did quit drinking at midnight that would mean that he would have to have drank about 11 drinks in the from 11pm-12pm as the average body will metabolize 1 drink per hour, that means 7 drinks metabolized in the 7 hrs from 12-7 with the remaining 4 in his system accounting for his .12 bac. I seriously doubt that he could drink 11 drinks in one hour so the odds are that he was drinking very heavily all night until midnight OR he was drinking much later than he claimed.
    And as for people calling others hypocrites, please don’t try and excuse drunk driving. It is never okay to get behind the wheel and endanger the lives of others. Stallworth is about 30 years old. He’s a grown up and needs to accept the consequences of his actions. He has destroyed a family. Just think about how you might feel if a drunk driver took the life of a loved one before defending his behavior.
    I work in the drug and alcohol treatment field and see this type of thing all the time. That family will never be the same. Is that really worth it so Mr. Stallworth can party and get a piece of ass. I don’t think so.

41. DUN DUN DUN
    why is he in trouble when that guy jumped on his bentley?
    i would be like “man that guy jumped on my bentley, HE should be the one apologizing to ME.”

42. smiley says:
    Amen.
    One possible good result of this, with the popularity and publicity the NFL has, is that a few others might learn from his example.
    I’ve woken up drunk and interpreted that as “this hangover’s not as bad as I expected!”. It is easy to fool yourself.

43. For a below 40 year-old healthy man 5:10″ at 160 lbs. we assumed a burn-off rate is 0.01%/hr. to 0.02%/hr. Only by taking at least two samples (timed) can a person’s burn-off rate be established. This of course does not account for medications or medical problems. I suggest one use only the lower figure of .01%/hr. and NOT the 0.015%/hr. suggested by another poster. For the record, an assumption of 1 bottle of beer = 1 drink = 1 glass of wine works out to about a 0.015/per drink ingestion. However, this assumption is strictly academic. In reality, your favorite bartender pours your drinks double or more. For ladies, nature is unfair. One glass of wine can put a 100lb. woman over 0.05%. One other point. Its believed experienced drinkers somehow have a magical immunity to being alcohol-impaired and can drink more–Wrong. Its believed athletes have some additional immunity to being alcohol-impaired and can drink more–Wrong. ANY drinker at .08% is absolutely impaired. No matter his/her physical condition. Anyways, the ingestion process is very complex in distribution and time.

44. It amazes me how clowns on this site hope and pray that athletes get jail time or lose all their money. “take his house. Leave him penniless”. Heres a newsflash, no matter how many of these guys get locked up, or go broke, your ass still has to go to work in the morning, your wife still isnt as hot as she used to be, and your teenager is still smoking kush under the bleachers. Wishing misery on others aint gonna change your life one bit…………

45. Abe Froeman says:
    THAT’S FUNNY!!!

46. GMenbacktoback says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 5:19 pm
    “Drinking isnt an exact Science as you try and make it out to be..”
    Measuring consumption may not be but measuring elimination rate certainly can be figured scientifically. If a liver is functioning normally then .015% is the rate for all people.
    secretd says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 5:41 pm
    “.12 means 12% of what was pumping thru his veins was straight alcohol. Most legal limits are in the .08 range (8% dummies) and that’s not a lot of alcohol imparement. So he had 1.5 times what the legal limit is. If he had 4 shots and 2 margaritas (basically 6 to 8 shots total) and was driving at 7AM, I think that there’s at least symbolically the effort made on his behalf to not have driven smashed, and I can’t fault a person for trying to abide by the laws when there’s no BAL meter handy. This wasn’t malicious law breaking. There are no winners here.”
    Wow. Where to start on this one. BAC is a measure of 1% of your blood; i.e 1 drop of alcohol in 1000 drops of blood = .10%. You might want to be careful about calling people dummies considering you have the numbers way wrong. If the average person reaches .40% (4 drops of alcohol in 1000 drops of blood) it is usually fatal.
    The thought that he was trying to abide by the law but didn’t have a meter is ludicrous. Call a cab. Get a limo. Whether you like it or not .08% is the legal limit. Intoxication is not the standard for OUI. People often make that mistake. “Smashed” is not part of the law.

47. secretd says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 5:41 pm
    *******
    DUMBASS statement of the week award winner – congrats, secretd.
    .08% means .08%, not 8%.
    Generally speaking, .5% is lethal. That is more than 6 times the legal limit in most states.
    If someone had 12% alcohol in their veins, it certainly wouldn’t be flowing.