Orakpo Impresses At Texas Pro Day

Versatile outside linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo headlined the University of Texas’ widely attended Pro Day with a strong workout, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com.
Regarded as a potential target for the Cleveland Browns with the fifth overall pick, Orakpo drew particularly close interest from Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson and Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni.
At 6’3″, 262 pounds and with excellent mobility, Orakpo is considered perhaps the top pass rushing talent available in the draft.  The Packers are converting to a 3-4 primary defense under the direction of new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, and the Dolphins also run a 3-4 alignment.
At the Longhorns’ campus workout, Orakpo registered a 10’10” broad jump, a 4.45 in the short shuttle and a 7.26 in the three-cone drill.
“Thompson would never tip his hand, but I think that Green Bay would probably be interested in someone like him for their new scheme,” Brandt wrote.  “I know Thompson was impressed with Orakpo and expressed surprise at how big his upper body is.
“Of course, the Dolphins use a 3-4 as well and Pasqualoni seemed to like Orakpo too.  I think the consensus on Orakpo is very positive.  The one question mark on him is that he’s one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent.”
At the NFL Scouting Combine, Orakpo ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times and posted an eye-catching 39.5-inch vertical leap.
Meanwhile, running back Chris Ogbonnaya bench pressed 225 pounds 28 times and had a 34.5-inch vertical leap.
Wide receiver Quan Cosby reportedly caught the ball very well from CFL quarterback Drew Tait at the workout.
Offensive tackle Cedric Dockery, the younger brother of Redskins offensive guard Derrick Dockery, pulled his hamstring while running a 5.4 in the 40-yard dash.
Defensive tackle Roy Miller registered an impressive 4.93 in the 40-yard dash at 6-1, 312 pounds.
Plus, defensive end Henry Melton posted a swift 4.64 in the 40-yard dash.  He turned in a 10’1″ broad jump and a 34.5-inch vertical leap.

25 responses to “Orakpo Impresses At Texas Pro Day

  1. Orakpo is a beast. He’s gonna end up being one of these DeMarcus Ware types. Quan Cosby is going to be a steal for someone. He’s a little older and has a ton of playing experience. He’ll hit the ground running.
    Hook ’em!

  2. The QB throwing the ball was Drew Tate. Not Tait. The guy should be starting in the NFL for a playoff team. He rocked at Iowa in college.

  3. Hope the Packers check to make sure he woudl live Green Bay during th e offseason, speak to the local media, and be a good guy in the community before they draft him (or anyone else for that matter).

  4. Yeah I’m gonna be honest.. I ignored most of that article on the basis that you don’t even know the player’s last name and, therefore, probably have little idea as to what you’re talking about.
    I can cite stats and spew quotes too. Doesn’t make me an insightful journalist.

  5. i am a supporter of tt, but you actually want me to believe that thompson would select a player that i’ve heard of? you’ve got to be kidding me. jennings, i liked that pick. same with nelson even though i didn’t think we needed another receiver at the time. i sure hope tt gets off his horse of selecting “he has potential” guys like harrell. i think tt should trade the first for a couple of seconds and actually do something in free agency. he drafts second rounders much better than he does firsts. and he does bring in free agents that do contribute.

  6. Wow mike there’s a shit ton of former spelling bee champions that visit your site! Maybe you should hire them and fire Wilson. Since they can spell they must know alot about football too.

  7. warpaint88-yyou wouldn’tt hhappen too bee tha ultimmate warriorrr wit all dat roid rage wouldja?

  8. and the steelers are interested in jason smith..whats the point in saying the phins run a 3-4 and would like orakpo? who wouldnt

  9. It’s not a typo if it’s consistently misspelled throughout the article. It’s just evidence of someone who doesn’t really know what he’s writing about. It’s cool though, you got enough shit about it lol..

  10. I remember hearing the hype about him and focusing on him during the Fiesta Bowl. He was manhandled by Alex Boone, the Ohio State left tackle not expected to go off the board until the 6th or 7th round. I’ve heard Orakpo was hurt that game, but it’s worth mentioning…

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!