McCarthy says he didn't fire anybody

Earlier today, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Mike Wood, a part-time employee at Lambeau Field for 22 years, was fired on the day of the Vikings-Packers game due to something he supposedly said three days earlier to coach Mike McCarthy.

The team, according to Wood, advised him that he told McCarthy to not “lay an egg.”

Asked about the report during a Friday radio appearance, McCarthy told WTMJ that he “did not fire anybody in the maintenance department,” per Greg Bedard of the Journal Sentinel.

It’s possible that McCarthy is mincing words.  Did he personally fire anyone?  No.  Did he tell  the guy who runs the maintenance department about the asshole who told him not to lay an egg?  Possibly.

Indeed, McCarthy likely had no authority to fire Wood.  But he surely had the ability to make his displeasure known to the person in position to fire Wood.  And then nature takes it own course.

So McCarthy won’t be wiggling off the hook on this one simply by making like Sgt. Schulz.  Though it might take a few macaroons to pry the truth out of McCarthy, he’d be wise to come clean.  Otherwise, the stonewalling will make him look even worse.

58 responses to “McCarthy says he didn't fire anybody

1. So what if someone (allegedly) told him to ‘not lay an egg’. I’m sure much worse than that is shouted from the stands every Sunday!

2. Boy Florio, you are really coming off he wall on this one! Since when did a flat out, uncategorical denial become “stonewalling”? You are quickly moving from internet hack to complete page view whore. Talk about coming clean! And stooping to fat jokes, oh wait a minute, I forgot, you’ve never found a stoop you didn’t like if it got a hundred comments.

3. Could this Guy Be a bigger tool…As a Purple Fan I am loving every minute of it…
    Keep digging Brother…Keep Diggin

4. Getting someone who probably makes right around minimum wage fired, especially in today’s economic climate.
    You stay classy, Coach McCarthy…

5. Dayum Florio you’re not gonna stop busting Coach McFatty’s nards are you ? Why does this please me so much ?
    Best Regards
    Packer Fans in Hiatus..

6. McCarthy you lying bastardo! You’re lucky I have “Mr. Snyder” and Vinny Cerrato to deal with right now. If not, you would be on my list Mister….(right after Jim Zorn, Fatty McButter Pants in Cleveland, and that Snake Oil Salesman in Dallas!!) So count your blessings dirt bag.
    Have a great day!

7. Did someone else fire him? Was the fired person from a different department? Was anyone fired? Anyone forced to “quit,” etc.?

8. Interesting how the only worthwhile news out of Green Bay these days is whether a tightass coach canned a 53 year old maintenance guy. It probably took McCarthy 3 days to consider the situation, review tape, and see if the the matter was correctable, before he could make a decsion on whether to can the guy or not — after he had his afternoon snack of course.

9. Yeah, I’m sure HE didn’t. But if SOMEBODY fired a 22-year employee for making a harmless comment about a team he’s worked for for decades, and McCarthy was the architect of that firing, then McCarthy can join Daniel Snyder as charter members of the Dark Heart Club. Firing a loyal, 22-year employee, IN THIS ECONOMIC CLIMATE, for THAT? McCarthy should be ashamed of himself.

10. Does anyone else find it ironic that he did lay an egg? That was some of the worst first half play calling I’ve seen in a while. The Special Teams preperation was laughable.

11. The real story here is that the employee eat the last dougnut that McCarthy was eyeing up from the other side of the room. Everyone, except the Night Manager at Krispy Kreme, wants MM fired and while it is not likely to happen till the end of the season.

12. So, either the guy said something to the effect of “go out there and kick some butt,” which I find hard to believe anyone could find offense in, or he said something approximating “don’t lay an egg.”
    If it’s the latter, I think we can all agree that this is something you simply don’t say to someone high up in the organization you work for. Is it a reason to fire someone?
    Even if the guy did make the “egg” comment, or something with a little more spice to it, termination is an overreaction. At most, this merited a down-dressing by the guy’s immediate boss, possibly accompanied by a little unpaid time off. It’s not like this guy was a probationary employee — he’d evidently been there for two decades.
    Unless the Packers can provide some compelling evidence — and soon — that this guy was stealing cleaning supplies or in some way doing something to harm the team, they’re going to wind up taking yet another PR hit with the faithful.
    And before somebody replies that this guy was most likely an “at-will” employee and that the team didn’t need to have a reason to let him go — you’re probably correct.
    But in a business which is ultimately driven by the good will of the people who buy the tickets, somebody needs to come up with a better answer than what we’ve seen so far.

13. It’s actually not McCarthy’s fault that the maintenance supervisor had to can the guy. McCarthy sent Rodgers to do the dirty work, but he got sacked on the way over there.

14. McCarthy was probably personally offended by the remark because he actually looks like an egg. A big, stupid fat egg.

15. I see the Lemmings are running with Lord Florio’s innuendo. What a surprise. Ah, I see Vikes fans. And page views. My oh my, I think there is a pattern here. And when Farve fades like the morning dew so will the Vikes fans and so will the page views and so will florio’s interest in anything that happens in Green Bay.

16. Sorry bluestree, but nobody is forcing you to keep coming back to this site and reading what you call “internet hack”. If you don’t like it, then why do you take the time to not only read, but also post?

17. Fan_Of_ Four says:
    November 13, 2009 2:31 PM
    Best Regards
    Packer Fans in Hiatus..
    ——————————
    For you to even think about referring to yourself as a Packer fan is an insult.

18. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091112/PKR01/311130098/1058/Update–McCarthy-says-he-didn-t-fire-employee
    Here’s the quotes from McCarthy (below). As I said before, I’d like to hear both sides of this story. I just don’t think McCarthy is going to tell his side fully. Too much liability for the organization.
    ———————————–
    When asked about the firing of Mike Wood:
    I was taken back by it, naturally. I walk through that loading dock every day, a comment was made, I comment(ed) back, got in the car and inquired with Alan (Johnson).
    When asked if he heard him say “don’t lay an egg”:
    He made a comment to me, I made a comment to him.
    Did you ask for him to be fired?
    Absolutely not.
    Did you recommend that he be fired?
    It was a one-minute conversation.
    What did he say?
    It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever heard … I wouldn’t say it to a fellow employee.
    Did you play a part in the decision?
    It’s not my responsibility.

19. And the “Greatest Fans in the NFL” are watching their beloved Packers organization come apart at the seams.
    They have a right to bitch, I agree, but it sure is satisfying to learn about things like this. At least the people that used to play for the Vikings didn’t deny their transgressions. Chilly has never claimed to be a genius and has weathered storms of criticism from all sides; there are still plenty of Viking fans that call for his head at every misstep. But, even though he makes questionable moves, like dressing in drag on the team plane, at least he didn’t deny it. I have never ever been a Childress fan and have been vocal about it here, but everyone has to admit that all the machinations and hoopla of getting Favre to Minny has thus far been worth it. If it all gets Chilly a new contract (I’ve heard that there is one in the works but not heard of a final agreement), so be it. It’s the way things work.
    Adios, Moobs. You just moved to a hotter part of the hot seat. Packer Nation is lighting BBQs and making plans to cut a rail for your ride out of town.

20. # sammm says: November 13, 2009 2:25 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Listen here buddy, what McCarthy’s wife says to him is none of our business.

21. If you read the whole story you will see that the dude just said “get the boys ready to go out and kick some butt”. There were others present. MCFatass admits that he spoke to someone and asked what the guys name was. 3 days later the guy is canned…..yea…..you didn’t get him fired asswad.
    The one thing this does is give McLardass some breathing room. Murphy told him he needed to see some changes…….mission accomplished….now we have a different guy pulling up the net for field goals and extra points. As an OWNER, I have already expressed my outrage with the PAckers administration office. I am waiting for Ari Fleischer to give me a call and do some PR damage control!!

22. bluestree fancies himself a literary wit, but he’s merely halfway there.
    A 40-year-old quarter-back in the twilight of his career may indeed fade down the stretch. Not surprising for any player at that age. Or, he may not. It remains to be seen. Either way, it is and will continue to be a fun and interesting season here in Minnesota.
    Let’s just say there are loud-mouthed Goobers on both sides of the Minnesota-Wisconsin border. Always have been and always will be.

23. Just a quick note, the word “coach” is spelled wrong in the title, its C-O-A-C-H, not F-I-R-E-D. Not trying to pick nits here, just being helpful.
    btw, when are they signing this guy to an extension?

24. Green Bay’s season is completely down the drain. Hearts ripped out by Vikes 2x followed by embarrassing loss to Bucs. Now men down vs. surging Cowboys. How about calling out your piece of garbage O-Line and leave the maintenance people alone, idiot.

25. What’s the matter Adam Chris….I am a huge Packer fan and stockholder and feel the same way that fan of four feels. Being a fan is not the same as being a hingehead for management.

26. Uh oh Adam is offended!!
    Who are you adam? The keeper of the Packer fandom flame?
    I don’t agree with it. But who are any of us to tell each other who we can root for and who we can’t?

27. Mmmm…… Macaroons……..
    You know that old children’s tale from the sea. It’s like you’re dreamin’ about Gorgonzola cheese when it’s clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.
    Why?
    Cuz you’re fukkin fired!!

28. Otherwise, the stonewalling will make him look even worse.
    Honestly, how much worse can this guy look? After 2 losses to Favre’s Vikings, and that miserable performance against the Bucs, we’re pretty much at the bottom of the barrel. The guy would physically have to dig a hole and get in it to get any lower, and by the looks of him, manual labor isn’t his forte.

29. The timing of this situation couldn’t be worse. I heard that this week’s promotion at Lambeau Field is a free dozen eggs to the first 50,000 attendees. I hope the Packers win against the Cowboys or we’ll see nature take its course.

30. MM keeps digging that hole deeper daily.For you outsiders this really is not a Favre issue or a Viking issue or any other crap.
    Right now we really suck…no maybe or if…..when you lose to a 0-7 club and lead the league in sacks you got issues.
    MM has not been the same coach since the 13-3 season and needs to focus on his team not this garbage.

31. @bluestree: Let me help you out here: I’m a lifetime fan of a club ( Eagles) who treats it’s employees exactly the way the Pack treated this guy. Look above, you see ‘trollaikman8′ knows about this; that’s why he made the comment he made. So here’s how I’m going to help you out: You don’t want to go down this road; you know, the one where you defend whatever the team does, because, after all, it’s your team. For a period of time, we did that,’ hey, it’s not anyone important that got fired, so who cares?” But after a while the constant drip, drip , drip of the people that run the team being portrayed as southern ends of northbound horses, starts to bother you…. I can tell you now that Eagles fans mostly can only root for the players at this point; we’re sick of Lurie, Banner, and Reid. When they win we’re just relieved , as in “Thank God they didn’t piss this one away too”, and when they lose, like last week, we’re angry as hell … Don’t discount the stories the media prints, they are doing it for a reason; they provide insight as to why your organization isn’t meeting all of it’s objectives. It’s been 16 years now since Lurie and Banner came on board, 11 with Reid. We no longer think it’s coincidence or bad luck that keeps the Eagles from a championship, we know now that no matter how many times they make the playoffs, it just isn’t going to happen with this cast of people running the show. Hold your team accountable, in the long run it will be easier to root for them.

32. This is a Viking and Favre issue.
    You see the Packers were 13-3 with Favre, they are 10-14 since. I think Favre is the only reason this chubby dude is still a head coach.

33. Florio’s system puts these stories on every team page based on the simple placement of the team’s name in the story. If he had made one single reference to the Steelers, it would have appeared there, too, and therefore there would have been comments from Steeler fans.
    I rarely visit the Green Bay page because I don’t need to comment on their stories. My own comments here, along with many, many other Viking fans, are here because Florio’s system puts these stories in front of us.
    It’s all about hits, and Mikey Likes ’em.

34. “Jry44 says:
    November 13, 2009 3:11 PM
    Sorry bluestree, but nobody is forcing you to keep coming back to this site and reading what you call “internet hack”. If you don’t like it, then why do you take the time to not only read, but also post?”
    It’s the economy, stupid. (Not really calling you stupid)
    “Norseman says:
    November 13, 2009 3:25 PM
    bluestree fancies himself a literary wit, but he’s merely halfway there”
    Then you are not only reading the writings of a halfwit, but responding.

35. I’m sure Wood said SOMETHING incendiary, but it was probably just STUPID, not malevolent. Unless his stupidity is chronic in his employee history, he shouldn’t have been fired. I cannot see anyone in a maintenance job consciously choosing to “take on” the Top Guy. Maintenance & other support staff in any company usually just want to keep their heads down & NOT BE NOTICED in the presence of execs. This man should have been disciplined but not fired. It’s execrable for Mike, who has all the power, to come down that hard on an employee with NO POWER AT ALL. Mike was being a playground bully, because he COULD.
    I recall Brett saying in his last year at GB how fans used to be so close to the players on occasion, during practice, etc., that when the team was losing, or Brett had had a bad game, some fans would taunt him a lot, from a couple feet away. He said it was hard to keep his temper and not reply in kind, or at all. But he managed it. Maybe Mike should write to Brett for advice on anger management.

36. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren’t there a ton of Packers fans last year saying they were glad chilly decided not to go to an interview in Green Bay and McCarthy was such a better coach? Where are all those fans now? The only thing I see is people saying how badly they want big boy to get fired. Funny, the coach you all thought was great is now, barring a miracle super bowl win, going to be fired the minute the last game ends, and you can’t wait.

37. DePack says:
    November 13, 2009 3:36 PM
    ——————————
    I agree completely. Do you also agree that we’ve only heard one side of the story here? You and I don’t know what Wood actually said. But as I’ve said before, whatever it was, I’ll bet I’d be fired on the spot if I said it to one of my superiors.
    On Friday reporters were hearing that there was more to this story than what Wood was reporting. I find Wood’s version of events hard to believe, to say the least.
    I realize you’re gunning for McCarthy and Thompson’s heads, but step back and look at this report with a more objective eye. Do you think this guy was fired for trying to encourage McCarthy? I don’t.

38. Chickenfoot says:
    November 13, 2009 3:40 PM
    Uh oh Adam is offended!!
    Who are you adam? The keeper of the Packer fandom flame?
    ——————————-
    Give me a break. That guy’s not a Packer fan. He actively roots AGAINST the Packers. By definition, that’s not a fan. He’s a Favre fan and I say good riddance to him.
    And for the record, I’m not telling him who he can root for. I’m simply stating the obvious–pointing out who he DOESN’T root for.

39. GB3Pack4 says:
    November 13, 2009 5:49 PM
    ————————–
    Oh, so you were there. Let us all in the loop. What exactly did Wood say? We’re dying to know.