Bobby Jindal is no football historian

As the Saints continue their march toward perfection, the Bayou bandwagon understandably is filling up.

So in the same week that Florida Governor Charlie Crist launched a new hobby as a part-time NFL personnel executive, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal is waving the black and gold (real gold, not yellow) pom poms.

But Jindal doesn’t know much about football history.

Here’s what he recently told WWL radio in New Orleans (via HuggingHaroldReynolds.com:  “I’m predicting we’ll go, not only undefeated, but all the way through the Super Bowl — something that’s never been done before.”

Though there never has been a team that won all 16 regular season games and then the Super Bowl, Jindal worded his prediction in a way that overlooks the accomplishments of the team from the city where this year’s Super Bowl will be played.

The ’72 Dolphins went “undefeated . . . all the way through the Super Bowl.”

In Jindal’s defense, he was born in 1971.  So he likely wasn’t following the NFL in 1972.

And now please allow me to sulk for the rest of the afternoon with the knowledge that the Governor of an American state was born six years after me, making me feel even older than I already am.

79 responses to “Bobby Jindal is no football historian

1. no story here, this is the type of news that makes me physically ill that someone would write about this

2. “…black and gold (real gold, not yellow) pom poms.”
    Awesome observation! Cue the Steelers whiners…the ones who haven’t yet jumped off the black and yellow bandwagon.

3. The ’72 Dolphins went “undefeated . . . all the way through the Super Bowl.” ….. It’s the number one killer of domestic cats.
    Wah-wah — Debbie Downer

4. Jindal is a super smart guy almost to the point of being an uber-nerd. He turned down Harvard and Yale to attend Oxford as a Rhodes scholar and ran Louisiana’s health system at age 25. Unfortunately, public speaking is not his strong suit as we all witnessed several months ago on national television. He probably meant that the Saints had never been to the Super Bowl before.

5. I don’t think Jindal has watched a football game in his life. Now Kasparov vs. the IBM computer? Front row.

6. Don’t feel bad Florio – it’s just Lousiana. It’s not like it is West Virginia or anything.

7. Considering how much publicity the ’72 Dolphins get anytime a team looks poised to run the table, the more probable reason for Jindal’s faux pas is that he’s clueless about football, and like Crist, was just trying to score political points.
    I hear sulking causes wrinkles.

8. Semantics….
    Next you’re going to tell me that emails from scientists that talk about burying data that doesn’t agree with their “findings” so that skeptics can’t find it is part of the “scientific method” and that I should crawl back to the uneducated rock I came from….

9. # rea725 says: December 9, 2009 12:50 PM
    “…black and gold (real gold, not yellow) pom poms.”
    THIS IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND! WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF

10. # RIP__21 says: December 9, 2009 12:56 PM
    They dont play football in India.
    ——————————
    Piyush Jindal was born in the United States of America

11. Wow – when a story like this makes breaking news, one has to wonder the amount of pressure on the decision makers at PFT/NBC. What, exactly, is the line between something being deemed a story and one that is not? There doesn’t really appear to be one, but I’d like there to be one.
    We all love PFT, so we’re confused why anybody would feel the need to post a story like this? Is it a back-handed political attack with the tired premise that Republicans “aren’t cool” and gibberish like that???

12. These right-wing nuts should focus on state political issues and stop trying to impress real football fans with their lack of football knowledge. They did enough damage between 2000-2008.

13. sounds like a someone has a bit of bitterness towards the republicans…this is about football, florihoe, and this is the story you come up with?

14. By the way, to all the Steeler haters. I am still a fan. We have 6 rings. What have you got? Well?

15. Wow, there is no hope for our country. We got a President who doesn’t know how many states we have, a Vice President who doesn’t know how many letters there are in the word jobs, a former Governor who can’t name any newspapers that she reads, and now a current Governor who doesn’t know that the Dolphins were undefeated and won the Super Bowl in ’72.
    Well, that’s okay, at least he didn’t ignore evacuation protocols and let thousands of people languish in the Superdome during a hurricane. No, people like that get elected Senator. Oy vey!

16. “…black and gold (real gold, not yellow) pom poms.”
    Saints’ gold is called “old gold.”
    Steelers’ gold is called “goldenrod.”

17. TheVulture:
    “Jindal is a super smart guy almost to the point of being an uber-nerd. He turned down Harvard and Yale to attend Oxford as a Rhodes scholar and ran Louisiana’s health system at age 25. Unfortunately, public speaking is not his strong suit as we all witnessed several months ago on national television. He probably meant that the Saints had never been to the Super Bowl before.”
    I am sure he meant that “The Saints” had never gone undefeated and gone on to a Super Bowl.
    And, I believe he turned down BOTH Harvard and Yale’s Medical Schools AND Law Schools to attend Oxford. The man is one of the smartest and hardest working individuals in the country. Way smarter and harder working than just about any other politician in the country, not that the bar would be set too high on that one.

18. Who cares what he said? We get enough of these politicians every time they bend us over. This is supposed to be about pro-football for pro-football fans.

19. I love how many morons keep calling the Steelers fans Bandwagoners. Sure there are some people on the bandwagon but that is just something that inevitably follows success. I and most of the people that blog on here have been following the Steelers through good times and bad for many years, if your team would win a couple of rings they would probably pick up some non-fan followers as well. My earliest memory is being a Steelers fan and I, like most lifelong Steelers fans, have never wavered, and that includes the first 24 years of my life without a title. So quit acting like your team has the only hardcore following just because they perpetually stink.

20. # Fed up says: December 9, 2009 1:07 PM
    ——————————————————-
    You Sir, are an idiot!!!!!!

21. Hauschild
    Of course it’s an attempt to mock a conservative Republican, Florio’s shown his liberal card hundreds of times before.
    Funny, I’m still waiting for some posters to come in here and complain about political content in their football. Or maybe it just shows their hypocrisy in that they don’t care about politics in their football, so long as the “right” (both figuratively and literally) people are mocked.

22. The last person jumping on the Saints bandwagon can expect twisted speech!
    ….(Being on the back of the bus causes that)

23. The last person jumping on the Saints bandwagon can expect twisted speech!
    ….(Being on the back of the bus causes that)

24. Don’t worry, he’ll claim to know lots about things he has no clue about when he starts pandering for higher office. Can he look any more like Alfred E. Neuman?

25. sevenirongator says:
    December 9, 2009 12:46 PM
    Hey don’t feel bad man, its a really shitty state not like where your from… oh wait
    One city does not make the whole state shitty.

26. Atta boy Florio! NBC has you on the offensive to attack potential Republican Presidential Candidates for 2012. I understand your President has the lowest approval rating of any President at this time in their first term in the history of polling, but isnt it a little early to panic?

27. Hey, Luke? You don’t like it? Do something about it, punk. Want to meet someplace and fight me?

28. PFFFFT says:
    December 9, 2009 12:51 PM
    He’s smarter and wealthier, too.
    ______________
    And I’m sure that BOTH Florio AND Jindal are both smarter and wealthier than YOU, fool. Funny how fools like you keep on coming back here, day after day, to complain though. Florio OWNS your ass…the proof is that you are still posting here. LMFAO!!!

29. TheVulture says:
    December 9, 2009 1:04 PM
    I see the libtard Florio is back to his typical left wing censorship.
    ________
    Yet YOU still come here to read his articles…methinks that Florio is laughing all the way to the bank at your sorry ass and those of your ilk.
    I think that I will join in on the fun.
    LMFAO!!!!

30. Why so serious?
    Whatever his politics, Jindal’s a brilliant man. It doesn’t take away from his brilliance to say he probably isn’t a football fan. He’s like any politician who jumps on the local team’s bandwagon when the team is doing well. Politics 101. I thought his comment about the Saints was kind of cute for an obvious egghead–definitely not to be compared with stupidity spewed by my state’s Gov. Crist. Lighten up, guys. If Florio has an agenda, it’s generating page clicks.
    @Igottz5onit and Spyboots … Well said!!!

31. Stupidity runs through that Republican party! Bobby Jindal, George W. Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Joe Boehner, Michael Steele, oh and I can’t forget our very own governor here in SC, Mark Sanford. The list goes on and on with these braindead repukes.

32. Bobby Jindal is an absolute moron. But I have to say I’m entertained by all the hillbillies here spouting off their memorized lines about him. “Turning down Harvard and Yale to go to Oxford” is a statement that only the truly uneducated would think makes sense.
    EVERY time he opens his mouth he sounds like an idiot. But for some that means he’s “not a good public speaker”. If they didn’t give a Rhodes Scholarship to every state in the union he never would have even gone to Oxford (are you as impressed that Bill Clinton won the Rhodes?). The guy is dumb, and anybody who thinks he’s an “egghead” is dumber.
    Personally, I hope he is nominated to run for President by the Republicans second only to Sarah Palin. They are Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle Dumber.

33. # downsouth49er says: December 9, 2009 1:59 PM
    ====================================
    LOL, how do people not realize that calling someone else stupid requires an additional amount of proofreading on your own part. Most politicians are brain dead by default. Jindal doesn’t happen to share that problem, but he’s no less a politician than any others, including the other side of the aisle that you somehow managed to leave off your list. Wonders of how brain dead people can still find themselves coherent enough to type in a website number and click submit will never cease.

34. ‘GW did some damage but nothing that compares to the last 11 months.’
    you mean “damage” like rescuing the US economy from the brink of total collapse?
    How now brown Mao?
    Very cute. I love it when right wing idiots paint Obama as communist because he’s no friend of the health insurance “industry”. An “industry” which produces nothing of value and richly deserves to be bypassed altogether.
    Obama, like every American president before him and those that will follow him, is more of a corporatist, free-marketeer, friend of big business than any kind of a “socialist”.
    His economic views are to the right of any other leader of a developed nation. Supposedly “conservative” leaders like Germany’s Angela Merkel supports government health care without question, for example.
    Sorry for the non football related rant but such idiocy can’t go unanswered.

35. Why don’t all the losers that think they are funny by attacking the reporters here go find another board if its such poor reporting. This site is the best going for the style content it provides.

36. jrhsd:
    “Turning down Harvard and Yale to go to Oxford” is a statement that only the truly uneducated would think makes sense.”
    No, it is a statement made by the truly educated, that would be me, to the truly uneducated, that would be you, to impress upon you that the man is intelligent.
    You might not like his politics, but to call the man an “absolute moron” is imbecilic.
    I guess you think Joe Biden is “smart”. That would be the man who voted against the First Gulf War (the Liberation of Kuwait) and for the Second Gulf War (the no WMD’s Bush war to “get” Sadam).

37. @jrhsd …
    Excuse me, sport, but I’m a liberal and wouldn’t vote for Bobby Jindal if you put a gun to my head. But the guy is smart even if he doesn’t know how to apply it usefully. And I was trying to be polite. Just because everyone else feels the need to wallow in the political mud doesn’t mean I do. I’ll match my IQ against yours ANY day.

38. Um… nobody has won 19 games in a season… so technically, he’s right: What they’re trying to achieve hasn’t ever happened. He just left out a big part of why New Orleans going undefeated “hasn’t been done before.”

39. Fed up says:
    December 9, 2009 1:34 PM
    ___________________________________
    ^^ You sir, are a Tard.

40. I’m up for your IQ match, Deb. I graduated in the top 5% of my class at Dartmouth College, you probably didn’t match that at your community college.
    Jindal is dumb as rocks. I have listened to SEVERAL of his speeches, and he has never uttered a single sentence that would imply above average intelligence. He has a practically bankrupt state now that the taxes on all the energy layoffs are gone, yet he made a big deal about wanting to refuse federal money for his state because he wants to be president. He is an extremely dumb man.
    And I need to explain further why the comment about Harvard and Yale is stupid, I guess. Both of those graduate schools would have cost him money, but both are more impressive achievements in the real world than the Rhodes Scholarship. You don’t “turn down” an “offer” from grad schools, you apply and are accepted or not. If you don’t want to pay and think the
    Rhodes is an alternative, good luck with the Bar.

41. jan van flac
    Ummm, Obama is in fact, a very big friend in the health care industry. The “medical industrial complex” overwhelmingly supported him with campaign dollars in the general election. They basically knew that he was going to come in and socialize medicine, so they wanted to be on the gravy train and thus bought their way into his administration to gain favor. Now look, the two health care bills contain tons of subsidies to these companies described as paying them for support, but is essentially paying them for their participation in getting him elected. It’s the Chicago way!
    You’re right, he’s no socialist, but then again, no socialist ever existed. Every man who has ever used a social agenda to gain power had never meant to impose a socialist agenda. They are merely in it for their own gain because they know socialism will never work. Instead, they use the promise of socialism as a means to an end. Thus, the socialist becomes more about consolidating power into a central location, themselves, and forcing out competition to where only the members of their selected oligarchy can be successful. Hence, the bailout of auto industry (unions) and takeover of financial institutions with czars (firing CEO’s). Next up, the health insurance industry, forcing the smaller ones that provide competition to die off and then the takeover of the entire health care industry. It’s as obvious as the day is long, but people who want that end claim to not see it.

42. Did you actually write 7, all be it small, paragraphs on this????? Did I actually waste 30 seconds of my life reading it, 15 seconds commenting on it!!! I’m developing an itch on the roof of my mouth that only the barrel of a gun can scratch.

43. Jindal is a governor that doesn’t know his football… that’s a little embarassing. Can you imagine how Florio feels trying to pass himself off as a football journalist and not knowing anything about football? That is all.

44. Electrogasm says:
    December 9, 2009 1:27 PM
    GW did some damage but nothing that compares to the last 11 months.
    Really? To quote another poster on this board …..You Sir, are an idiot…..

45. If they do go 19-0 then they will have done something that no one has….Dolphins went 17-0 and last time I checked…yep 19 is more than 17…wow…please!!!! I’m so tired of Mercury Morris rapping…Who Dat!!!!
    So he’s a governor that doesn’t know football….

46. Cut Jindal some slack, I’m sure he’s just pandering to his base in Louisiana. Someone on his staff who is clueless slipped him that little tidbit thinking it would help him “bond” with his constituency.

47. “jrhsd says:
    December 9, 2009 3:00 PM
    If nothing else, you’re dong is probably bigger, but save that as a fallback position.

48. jrhsd:
    “I’m up for your IQ match, Deb. I graduated in the top 5% of my class at Dartmouth College, you probably didn’t match that at your community college.”
    Still bitter about being wait-listed at Princeton.

49. @jrhsd …
    Dartmouth … well, that explains the condescension. No, I didn’t go to an Ivy League school though I had a full scholarship to the Ivy League of the South for grad school. And the discussion wasn’t about school placement, it was about IQ, and I’m still confident. On EQ, I have no doubts.
    But …
    The guy hasn’t said anything to impress me, either, so I have no idea why two people who agree are arguing. The Harvard/Yale rationale isn’t lost on me–neither is the fact that he’s got to have a few marbles rattling around up there to have been a Rhodes Scholar. Despite your obvious Northern superiority complex, I’m sure he wasn’t the only viable candidate in the state of Louisiana. Turning down the relief money was a ridiculous act of pandering to his backers. Yes, I expect he would run a nation into the ground even more quickly than he’s run his state into the ground. That’s why I wouldn’t vote for him if you put a gun to my head.
    That said …
    I’ve met many people who have high IQs but are still dumber than dirt in every practical sense. I marvel now at a family friend who is a college freshman planning a medical career. She’s won every academic award imaginable. Yet she is so stupid it amazes me that she can tie her shoes and talk in complete sentences (well, sort of). Jindal is one of those people … someone with a good resume who tests well but can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. On paper, he may be brilliant, but in any real-world sense, he’s the last person you’d want in a management or leadership role.
    Since we fundamentally agree, can we please stop arguing now? We’re just feeding the stereotype that liberals keep shooting themselves in the foot because they can’t get along with one another.

50. Deb:
    “On paper, he may be brilliant, but in any real-world sense, he’s the last person you’d want in a management or leadership role.”
    Jindal was put in charge of the Louisiana Health Care System (Louisiana basically has a free health care system on the statewide level which is part of the legacy of Huey Long.) at the age of 25. The system was in a complete shambles when he took it over and was on the verge of bankruptcy because of prior mismanagement and fraud. Jindal cleaned up the system, put it on a sound financial footing and completed this task at a very young age.
    It is one thing to say he is, “the last person you’d want in a management or leadership role”, it is quite another for such a statement to be true.
    He does not give a good speech. I know of one other “brilliant” politician who is a complete FAIL when his teleprompter goes out. Without mentioning who it is, I bet you know already…………don’t you?

51. My earlier post was off the top of my head.
    Jindal was actually appointed to head the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH) at the age of 24, not 25. Such a slacker…….
    The DHH, at the time, was the state’s largest department with 12,000 employees and a $4 billion budget. While leading DHH, Jindal turned a $400 million deficit into a multi-year surplus and rooted out corruption, waste and mismanagement.
    I guess that would make him, “the last person you’d want in a management or leadership role.”
    You can disagree with his political position, but doubting his intellect or leadership abilities is asinine.

52. Kasparov vs. IBM….classic. Post of the Year material.
    ———————————————————-
    # jj jones says: December 9, 2009 12:53 PM

53. troll_aikman8:
    “Kasparov vs. IBM….classic. Post of the Year material.
    ———————————————————-
    # jj jones says: December 9, 2009 12:53 PM
    I don’t think Jindal has watched a football game in his life. Now Kasparov vs. the IBM computer? Front row.”
    Funny as hell! Not true, I have seen him at games, but still funny as hell!

54. all this over Bobby Jindal? Hey Florio, work Sarah Palin into a story and we’ll really see some fireworks…

55. A guy who doesn’t know a great deal about football but is still talking about football. Florio, isn’t that how you make your living?

56. @SF Saints Fan …
    It’s just not my day, is it? I try to be polite about Jindal because I thought the comment was kinda cute … and Mr. Ivy League starts calling me stupid. So I try to tell Mr. Ivy League that just because I think Jindal is a smart guy who made a cute but goofy football remark–as politicians sometimes do–doesn’t mean I’m a right-wing hillbilly. And now here you are … sigh.
    I think Jindal is a smart guy. My initial impression was that he was both smart and capable, based on his early record with the Louisiana Health Dept. I am not one of those who thinks everyone with whom I disagree politically is an idiot or morally bankrupt. (I was even more impressed by some of Mike Huckabee’s healthcare strategies as governor of Arkansas–and heaven knows what I’m going to hear about that!) But Jindal does not appear to be an impressive governor. Perhaps he’s simply risen to the level of his own incompetence. I’m not sure what the problem is, but no, I don’t think he would be a capable world leader. However, I never doubted his intellect.
    The current president is a very effective communicator. Most presidents would have trouble completing a speech without the aid of the teleprompter. The only one in recent memory who could give a major address without help was Bill Clinton. Doubting his intellect, management abilities, and superior communication skills is asinine, but that certainly hasn’t stopped folks from your corner of the political spectrum, has it?
    Now, can we please get back to football? If I wanted to talk politics, I’d be on a political blog.

57. # rea725 says: December 9, 2009 12:50 PM
    “…black and gold (real gold, not yellow) pom poms.”
    *********************************************
    Actually, it’s not an “awesome observation,” but thanks for chiming in. They’re both the color “gold.” The difference is between what’s referred to as traditional gold versus the Steelers or Packers color (which bears a greater resemblance to an darker yellow). Regardless, it’s still the color gold, as in “the black and gold” (Steelers) or “the green and gold” (Packers). As for bandwagon behavior, seeing the underdog finally succeed never brings the fairweather folks out of the woodwork, does it? Not sure what the means, but just sayin.
    Oh wait, a Saints Bandwagon Facebook page! Awesome, dude! http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=79666748182&topic=9538
    On an unrelated note, Florio — You’re a West Virginia guy, right? What are the colors for the Mountaineers again? It’s blue and something, but I just can’t remember now. Blue and yellow? No, that doesn’t sound quite right. Either way, awesome observation!

58. I really liked Jindal in “Slumdog Millionaire,”
    Thought he should have won the Oscar instead of Sean Penn.