Vikings quarterback Brett Favre has confirmed on his official website the fact that he recently underwent surgery to repair his injured ankle.
“This is to confirm that I did have a procedure to remove some scar tissue and bone spurs from my ankle which had been bothering me for a period of time,” Favre said in a statement posted at OfficialBrettFavre.com. “I appreciate your concerns.”
News of the possible surgery came three weeks ago. Contrary to initial reports regarding the link between the surgery and the ability of Favre to play in 2010 or beyond, Favre strongly suggested on April 30 that he did not need surgery in order to do the non-football things that he does.
Thus, the fact that he underwent the surgery constitutes an even stronger hint that he’ll be playing this year.
Either way, a decision on his future needs to come sooner rather than later. Last year, he wasn’t under contract. This year, he is. The Vikings will need to move him from the active roster if he fails to show up for training camp, or carry one less player. Also, silence until the middle of August would be more awkward this year, given that he has a contractual obligation to the team.
That said, it’s all semantics. He’s coming back.
And September 9 can’t get here soon enough.