Shanahan: Albert Haynesworth to play any position Redskins ask him

A. Haynesworth1.jpgRedskins coach Mike Shanahan met with Albert Haynesworth one time, and made him a deal.

“I made it crystal clear to him that if he did take that $21 million dollars, we expected him to play at the position we feels gives us the best chance to win,” Shanahan said on WFAN in New York, via SportsRadioInterviews.com.

In the meantime, Haynesworth skipped all offseason activities, but said he planned to show up to training camp.  Like many fans out there, Shanahan sounded somewhat unsure of what exactly will happen.  But his expectations are clear.

“I’d expect him to play any position that we thought was in the best interest of the Washington Redskins be it nose tackle, defensive end, if we wanted to play him at free safety . . .  So [we] expected him to come in in great shape and do the things we expected of him and that he’s capable of doing. Hopefully he does that,” Shanahan said.

36 responses to “Shanahan: Albert Haynesworth to play any position Redskins ask him

1. Yea, imagine Big Al at free safety. He’d make CC Brown look like an all-pro. But I can’t imagine the pain a WR would feel if he lined one up in the open field going for a pass.

2. WASN’T THIS INTERVIEW QUITE SOME TIME AGO?
    I KNOW THE NFL IS SLOW, BUT WHY ARE THE STORIES BEING RECYCLED?

3. Fat Al is gonna tear that team apart. He will do his best to make sure they dont win this year and that he is released after or during the season.
    Expect alot of grumbling, sitting on the bench alone and phantom injuries out of that guy.

4. “WASN’T THIS INTERVIEW QUITE SOME TIME AGO?
    I KNOW THE NFL IS SLOW, BUT WHY ARE THE STORIES BEING RECYCLED?”
    b/c Rosendork is a HACK!

5. My ‘skins and Shananhan made a mistake leaving it up to someone’s word, especially with 21 big ones riding on it. They should have reworked the contract or cut him then.

6. Shanahan really taking control of the situation.. well if you start out pretending Haynesworth has a choice at least.

7. BleedingSilverAndBlack says:
    July 19, 2010 11:57 AM
    For $21 million, I would play any position they would want me to.
    ——————————————-
    For $1 you would play any position someone asked you to.

8. “if we wanted to play him at free safety…”
    This kind of innovation is what separates Shanahan from mere mortals. Consider the run support the Redskins will get when playing a 350 pounder at free safety. Combine that with Shanny’s decision to make the o-line more athletic by having Clinton Portis play center, and even though they’ll be using last year’s players you’re looking at an entirely revamped team.

9. i’m down with him playing free safety. watching the redskins is funny already, that would make it absolutely hilarious/make watching the reskins worthwhile

10. @ whatdiga
    When the coach says, “Hopefully…” in public, it’s clear that Al is already lame.

11. Someone should expain the definition of LEVERAGE to Shan. The Redskins have none b/c of that ridiculous contract Snyder handed to him. Dummys.

12. time for alex karras to say he should be put out there in a tutu
    then we could call albert “desmond”

13. # BleedingSilverAndBlack says: July 19, 2010 11:57 AM
    For $21 million, I would play any position they would want me to.
    —————————
    You forgot to say “no homo.”

14. sharkattack says:
    July 19, 2010 12:45 PM
    # BleedingSilverAndBla ck says: July 19, 2010 11:57 AM
    For $21 million, I would play any position they would want me to.
    ——————– ——-
    You forgot to say “no homo.”
    —————————-
    $21 mil trumps the “no homo” clause.

15. At this point…how else can you expect Shanahan to handle this?
    What’s going to happen will happen.
    Redskins fans…we’re expecting the worst right now, so there is only upside to look forward to (whether it’s in the form of a 4th round draft pick via a trade, or if the Baconator decides to show up and play some NT).
    I just hope that blurb we heard about Haynesworth possibly even lining up for a play or two at OLB (shortly after the 3-4 defense was announced) isn’t true. Although we do have another former DT lining up there full time (Lorenzo Alexander).
    BTW…what DOESN’T Lorenzo Alexander do?

16. I suspect that if Al comes in and is in shape and get’s to Romo in week one, all will be right with the world, if he has an attitude problem and is a locker room problem then he’ll be traded or cut.

17. numberfour says: July 19, 2010 12:45 PM
    time for alex karras to say he should be put out there in a tutu
    then we could call albert “desmond”
    ————————————————–
    I was going to suggest they have him play Cheerleader, but I like your post much better. Good Stuff.

18. # Pistol says: July 19, 2010 12:59 PM
    sharkattack says:
    July 19, 2010 12:45 PM
    # BleedingSilverAndBla ck says: July 19, 2010 11:57 AM
    For $21 million, I would play any position they would want me to.
    ——————– ——-
    You forgot to say “no homo.”
    —————– ———–
    $21 mil trumps the “no homo” clause.
    —————————
    Lol, very nice.

19. -“BTW…what DOESN’T Lorenzo Alexander do?”
    That’s a pretty good question actually. He can play on the offensive line(and has), he can play tight end(and has), he can play DT (and has), he can play DE (and has), he can be athletic enough to play special teams(and does), now he gets to play linebacker(and will).
    Dude, id rather see Alexander playing free safety over Haynesworth anyday! lol

20. Fat Albert is laughing behind his back…. thinking to himself, sure little elf, whatever floats your boat.
    I smell a fake injury coming real soon.