Mad scramble ensues to obtain terms of Revis proposal

On Friday, the agents representing cornerback Darrelle Revis made a new proposal to the Jets.  On Monday, the Jets summarily rejected it.

So the $15.1 million question is this:  What terms did Revis propose?  Multiple members of the media are trying desperately to find out, and so far no one is talking.

If, as many suspect, Revis made what NFL agents call a “moon shot” (a maneuver which we suspect — and hope — has nothing to do with exposure of the anal cleft), it stands to reason that the Jets would leak the terms to someone in the media with an inclination to crow that Revis is being greedy.  If, on the other hand, the offer objectively could be characterized as reasonable, the Revis camp should be singing.

The other question regarding the proposal is whether Jets owner Woody Johnson actually read the thing.  “My impression is no progress,” Johnson said in remarks distributed by the team.  “That’s the way [G.M.] Mike [Tannenbaum]
characterized it to me [is there] was no movement whatsoever.  The proposal was ‘nothing new and different,’ as they say in marketing.”  Those words easily could be construed as meaning that, indeed, Johnson has not analyzed the terms of the proposal.

Either way, the fact that the folks who know the terms of the proposal haven’t leaked them to the media is one of the stranger aspects of the Revis holdout.

43 responses to “Mad scramble ensues to obtain terms of Revis proposal

1. The lack of a leak might be based upon honorable men agreeing to a gag order. It makes sense that a fair negotiation should not utilize the media to manipulate perception.

2. Teams need to understand that they have all the leverage in the world, not the players. We can argue that both sides are probably greedy. Thats fine. but at the end of the day, the players have a contract that they signed and have to honor. they can choose to ignore it and hold out for better, and losing Revis would obviously take the Jets out of Super bowl contention. but what does Revis gain by sitting out? He obviously doesnt get paid a dime. He has 3 years left, and possibly 4 if there is a lockout. Losing 4 years of your prime to rust is a lousy business decision. These arent baseball or basketball players, these guys have a small window to make the money.
    Revis may be underpaid, but shooting for the moon hasnt worked. Im sure the Jets offered something along the lines of $12-$13 million a year. I cant see how you turn that down and then sit out and collect zero. Eventually the onwer needs to step in and say look, heres a good offer. Take it or you get nothing and we do have you under contract for 3 more years at a low salary. Chris Johnson had to deal with it. So did Nick Mangold and various others in the league. Im all for reworking the guys deal, but if he is asking for something in the $100 million range I would tell him to absolutely forget it. enough is enough with these guys

3. Sooner or later someone is going to blink. The JETS need him and Revis I’m sure wants to play, just making a lot of money.
    I’d guess by the third preseason game everything will get worked out. That way he’ll either play in the last 2 games or just the last one. Either way, Revis Island will re-emerge.
    Or, like I saw on TV earlier today, he won’t play a single game at all this season.

4. SeriousRadio says:
    August 9, 2010 9:44 PM
    ————————————————
    I thought the proposals were drafted by Agents and Lawyers?

5. Sorry, but I don’t feel sorry for anyone of them who turn down $10+ mill a year. Yes, the average life span of the NFL player is only 3-4 years. But many of these guys will never have to work another day in their life. God forbid that they “only” earn a few million a year. As far as I’m concerned, Revis can sit his ass for the year & get nothing. If you don’t like it, then be instrumental about having a rookie salary cap so that the big bucks go to those who earn & deserve it, not some highly taughted prospect who has never played a down in the NFL.

6. This guy needs to be on the field asap. Throw him a $12 mil/year offer for 5 or 6 years or so and leak it to the press. If he wants to keep being greedy, let Revis turn that down and sit out for 3 years and try getting that kind of deal in his late 20s having been out of football for 3 years when his current contract is finally up.
    JETS, PLEASE GET A DEAL DONE ASAP.

7. Why would there be a question about whether Woody Johnson actually read the thing? You stated yourself in the article that he has a GM. Presumably it is the GM’s job to handle contract negotiations and to keep the owner informed of the progress. The owner just needs a summary and some financial details that he is committing to. The details and legalese are for agents and GM’s to handle.

8. It’s only a “mad scramble” to the likes of you Florio….This way you can plagiarize the information, and side with either Revis or the Jets, it all depends on what side you think more hits will be generated….

9. Raven Muscle Sucks Dick says:
    August 9, 2010 10:01 PM
    ==========================
    Another fan who for some reason would rather see their money go to a fat cat rich old man who already has billions than to the player they actually pay to see. I’ll never understand that.
    And don’t give me “player salaries are the reason my seats cost so much”. The reason your seats (and jerseys, and hats, etc etc) cost so much is because you buy them. No one has ever sold anything for more than someone was willing to pay for it. Supply and demand, pure and simple.

10. “The worst part about this is that Revis wants to be on the field, but these clowns around him, including his moron uncle, are influencing him in the wrong way. ”
    Is Rex one of those clowns too?

11. TryTheVeal says:
    August 9, 2010 10:25 PM
    “It’s only a “mad scramble” to the likes of you Florio….This way you can plagiarize the information, and side with either Revis or the Jets, it all depends on what side you think more hits will be generated…”
    You mean you haven’t noticed how Florio tends to nuzzle up to the players’ posteriors? He wants the players reading PFT. He feels it will validate him & PFT. Then, maybe he can parlay that into a job as an announcer on MNF. Hey, if they had Dennis Miller…

12. I just don’t care anymore I think our secondary is better now with pool cromartie wilson and leonard than last Year with only revis and leonard being any good we might not shutdown the number one but I don’t think welker will have 200 yards receiving on us again this year. To me if we get him back its just a guarentee we win 12+ games and make a deep playoff run but without him I see 9-10 wins and just haveing to claw our way through any playoff games

13. The terms were relatively simple- Revis gets a modest raise in his salary, and Rex Ryan is no longer allowed at the front of the line during lunch. This was rejected summarily by the organization.

14. I thought the proposals were drafted by Agents and Lawyers?
    ——————————————————————
    Haha, tuche.

15. “Sooner or later someone is going to blink. The JETS need him and Revis I’m sure wants to play, just making a lot of money.”
    Do they? I’m pretty sure come opening day the Jets will be playing a game and bringing in a metric ton of money, while Revis will be making zero. I’m pretty sure Revis needs the Jets more.

16. In the end, someone always blinks. Just wondering, when WAS the last time someone sat out the season in a contract dispute? I don’t know.

17. I for one, am not worried at all. The Jets have all the cards here, and Revis knows it. As the season draws near, I would go to Revis’ agents and say this.
    “Your client can either sign this, or holdout all season if he wants. If he does hold out though, we won’t trade him, and our offers will only get lower. He will in effect rot away for 3 possibly 4 seasons, before he can find a new team. By the way, we want all that money that you owe us for not showing up, and he might not even get to play in 2012 even if he wants to. That’s 2 seasons of no pay, and a large sum of cash that you will owe us. Now, do you think your man wants to sign yet?”

18. When you tell a person to tear up his contract. Tell him he is not only the best corner or player in the NFL but Superman as well. And you promise to have him a deal done before camp making him the highest paid corner in the NFL and when the time comes you low ball him. The people you have running the show are incompetent plain and simple, simple is another words that fit them.
    They only offered Revis 5 million guaranteed for a year and a 12 million salary if reports are to be believed. That is a long, long way from Nnamdi and what he makes and with what the market is for an elite corner is low ball.
    I cannot remember how many Jets players in the past stated the Jets promised them this and when the time came shafted the player. I told you long ago that this was going to get dirty. Cannot blame Revis, someone I trust tells me something I believe them.

19. Ahh, excuse me, he has a current contract that he willingly signed. So he can either play for that or piss away a year of playing time. One year of the all too few most NFL players will get. Then next year we can see if he wants to piss that away too.

20. Do you think that maybe the fact that the Jets are featured on HBO’s Hard Knocks this year has something to do with this?
    Now Revis’ agent can publicize himself, much like the idiot Alvin Keels did last year when representing Andre Smith, Neil Schwartz wants to get his name out there.

21. to realitypolice;
    I in no way shape or form give a hoot about this issue one way or the other. But you just blasted a guy for his post but you obviously didnt read it all. Let me paste what you didnt paste on your post:
    “If you don’t like it, then be instrumental about having a rookie salary cap so that the big bucks go to those who earn & deserve it, not some highly taughted prospect who has never played a down in the NFL. ”
    No where in that post did i see anything about him wanting the “fat cats” to get more money, and no where did i see him complain about prices of anything.

22. I think Florio just wrote this article to throw his Moon Shot joke out there. Really, was that necessary to add? Brings the credibility of you as a writer way down. Stick to the facts, less jokes.

23. ICEWALKER says:
    August 9, 2010 9:50 PM
    ===================================
    The last player to hold out for a year……Sean Gilbert his adviser and uncul

24. jetman says:
    August 9, 2010 11:09 PM
    ===================================
    “guarentee we win 12+ games” you had him last year and you didnt win 12 games. I think Ryans system made him and you wil fine with out him.

25. This is great news for the rest of the AFC. Jets fans, let’s be honest, the Jets aren’t a contender with Mark Sanchez at QB and Cromartie as the first CB. This is gonna be a looooong season for the Jets if they don’t fix up their defense.

26. does anyone else think this may all be intentional to draw a storyline throughout HBO’s Hard Knocks?? Think about it, like another poster mentioned no revis takes the jets out of superbowl contention. So why risk him practicing this early on and tearing an ACL…I’m sure that most of this is real to a degree but in this day and age you cant help but wonder perhaps this is being drawn out to draw some better TV ratings. I highly doubt there is any doubt from any of you that Revis isnt playing on opening day…These holdouts always work out in the end….just a thought!

27. I look at it this way, you sign your name on the dotted line saying you will abide by the promise your making for however many years you agreed to. There are plenty players, even some in the Hall of Fame, who had to earn their contract after playing their tail off for very little money. I think Revis is greedy, and every single player in all sports are already way overpaid. There is no way Antonio Bryant is worth 286 teachers in Hillsborough County (Tampa, FL), this makes the world somewhat unfair and disgusting but who am I to say, right?
    Lets get real guys, we love to watch you play a damn GAME! Sign your name on the sheet of paper no matter what the number is, and go out and play the game you “so called” love. Or else you’re just a a new aged golddigger to me. Darrelle Revis, learn from Chris Johnson young man. Shut up and play!!!!!

28. I would say the lack of the details being released means (logically) that the it was a very Revis friendly offer, but wasn’t out of the realm of possibility so the Jets don’t see the need to release the info to paint Revis as greedy.
    I have grown rather fond of the Jets but I feel giving Revis a huge deal isn’t in their best interest and would be bad long term. Like I said in an earlier post related to this subject, great corners don’t make good teams by themselves. But good teams can win without great corners. Look at the 04 Steelers, decent corners (not bad probably close to what the Jets would be without Revis) and they won a Super Bowl. Look at the Bills, Broncos, Raiders, and Redskins at certain times this decade. All those teams had one very good corner but he didn’t make enough of an impact to take a team to the next level.

29. Maybe next time Rex Ryan thinks he has an exceptional player he should think twice about annointing them the best defensive player in the NFL.
    As I see it, the Jets and Ryan are reaping what they have sewn.
    And that’s why having a big mouth can be enteretaining for some and a huge liability for others.
    Go Ravens!

30. Revis is acting like a greedy pig here. I think it’s no different then blackmailing someone! He signed a contract, it has 3 years left and he says ‘if you don’t gimme more money I won’t play’. He shouldn’t legally be allowed to do it!! Jets should stand firm and not cave to ‘greevis’ !!

31. when Was the last time someone sat out a season in a contract dispute ?
    Sean Gilbert, Revis’s uncle and advisor

32. IAVikefan – excellent!!
    So what happens if Revis does sit out? Does he become a free agent after 1 year?

33. IAVikefan – excellent!!

34. @Hype:
    I’ll cut and paste what Raven Muscle said again:
    ==========================
    It seems pretty clear to me that this guy feels like there should be an upper salary limit where players shouldn’t be allowed to complain anymore, regardless of what revenues are, which was my point. What relevance does some arbitrary figure like 10 million compared to overall revenues have except that that is the number where Raven gets offended.
    It doesn’t sound to me that if Revis is somehow “instrumental about having a rookie salary cap” (not sure exactly how Revis personally could do this) that Raven would all of the sudden not begrudge players making more than 10 million per year.
    If you can read lines in this post like “god forbid they only earn a few million a year” and “revis can sit on his ass and make nothing” and don’t see the underlying message that Raven Muscle resents so much money going to the players, then you’re the one who probably needs to read the posts more closely.

35. Revis jets says:
    August 10, 2010 6:56 AM
    ======================
    His contract says that if he plays football for money, it will be with the Jets and no one else. It doesn’t legally require him to do anything. If he doesn’t want to play for the Jets and is willing to give up his salary, he can. If the Jets want to hold him to his contract and not renegotiate, they can. Everyone is acting within their rights. No one’s going to jail here, champ.
    And if you’re OK with your team being inferior to what they could be because your billionaire owner doesn’t want to take care of the best cornerback in football, no one is going to take that right away from you.

36. For all you people thinking this is a ploy to make Hard Knocks more interesting, think about it. Loud mouthed Rex Ryan as the coach and you think they need ANYTHING to add?