Vincent Jackson "not a part of the plan" in San Diego

With any NFL team, it’s hard to know where the B.S. stops and the truth begins.  In San Diego, there’s plenty of B.S. coming from the man known as A.J.  But the Chargers’ General Manager also appears ready to follow through on the protracted poker hand that he has been playing with left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson.

As to Jackson specifically, it appears that the Chargers plan to squat on him indefinitely.

In a mailbag column for the San Diego Union-Tribune, Kevin Acee suggests that McNeill could eventually get a long term deal.  Not so for Jackson.

Vincent Jackson is not a part of the plan,” Acee writes.  ” I don’t see them using the franchise [tag] on Jackson either.  Not now.  This has gotten ugly.”

With Jackson suspended for the first three games of the season and unlikely to show up and sign his dramatically reduced restricted free agency tender before that, the question becomes whether he’ll sign at some point after the suspension ends and before Week 10, after which time he won’t be able to play at all in 2010.

If he doesn’t show up by Week 10, the Chargers will hold the same rights to him in 2011 that they held in 2010.  Jackson’s only path out of San Diego, short of a trade, lies in showing up by Week 10, earning a year of credit toward free agency, and then hoping to get out of town next year.  (Since he’s not under contract, Jackson can show up after August 10 and still earn a year of credit toward free agency.)

So while Acee thinks there’s little chance of Jackson showing up for six weeks and making roughly $200,000, the fact that he’ll be right back where he is right now if he doesn’t show up by Week 10 makes it likely, in our view, that he’ll come in by Week 10, get his year of credit, and hope to be able to get out come next year.

And if the Chargers truly aren’t interested in signing Jackson to a long-term deal, why don’t the Chargers trade him?  For a team that has postseason aspirations and, presumably, a desire to win games once they get there (for a change), it makes sense to get something for him before he shows up in November, goes through the motions for six weeks, and then walks away.

47 responses to “Vincent Jackson "not a part of the plan" in San Diego

1. Of course your not part of the plan you jackass .. your not allowed to play …. why would they sign someone long-term that is suspended …. what happends when you F*ck up again and you have to sit out the whole year ….. try to pick a better time to be a money grubben B*tch then when you get in trouble … be happy you got a job jackass!

2. I agree w/most people in that A.J. is a jerk, but I fail to see how he is doing something wrong in this instance.
    He told the players if they didn’t sign their tenders by a certain date that the offer would be drastically reduced. If he gives more $ or trades them, he is caving to the player.
    I see no problem with showing everyone that he means what he says and he is in charge…not the players.

3. Ya AJ you can be a hard ass my way or the highway type, it’s your prerogative. How far will that go toward locker room bliss, or signing free agents? You’re a real hard ass AJ, a cut off your nose to save your face kinda stupid hard ass.

4. Is there any chance AJ is planning on trading him closer to Week 3-4? At that point any one who needs a WR won’t have that point to make in a potential trade that they should get him for less because they have to eat his suspension.

5. I, being a Raider fan, love that the “drama” is focused elsewhere in the AFC West so far this year!

6. This team will NOT win the division this year. Mark my words. They are an absolute mess. And, their QB is a total mongoloid.

7. Chargers are going to suck almost as bad as the Cincy this year.. Well, maybey not that bad, but …

8. Wow PFT is the worst for knowing stories. Vincent Jackson is gona be a raider in a week.
    Everybody in “the business” knows that.
    Just like when I had to break the news to you smucks campbell was gona sign with oakland on draft day weekend. They didnt want to publish my story then they found out and I got no credit..
    Lets see Ibroke the seymour story here besire they knew anything. They gave me no response and people here told me”seymour would never sign with the raiders” So its about time PFT you admit it. I’am the only one that has any credible sources in the the oakalnd raiders. I must be good if even Adam schefter calls me… Like I told you pay me and I will give you more

9. Florio, V. Jackson would have been an unrestricted agent this past offseason if there was a CBA in place. He doesn’t need to play this year to accrue another season to be UFA in 2011. That’s why he isn’t coming back without a long term deal.

10. Back to the cellar for the dischargers. Bandwagon is gonna get lighter soon. Stay classy whales vagina.

11. Straydogg_0 says:
    “I, being a Raider fan, love that the “drama” is focused elsewhere in the AFC West so far this year! ”
    Amazingly enough you speak the truth.
    With SD and the Den both in emotional and physical disarray the Raiders actually look stable.
    As much as I dislike Oakland, they may make a run this year.

12. hey the bengal – mongoloid? please. PR is better than your QB – look at the stats! He is a top 5 QB. I’m not trying to defend AJ. He does what he does, but I’m tired of hearing about how the bolts can’t win playoff games. We have 3 wins in the last 4 years. That’s more than most teams. We’ll dominate the afc west again this year. Keep talking suckers – it’ll stop by week 8.

13. Yay!
    Wvdischarger. We won some playoff games. Yay!
    How many superbowls have you won again?????
    That’s right fool. Empty trophy case punk. Welcome to Los angeles SD Chokers.

14. Raiders stable? Ha ha ha ha!! Since when before Al Gore invented the internet thats when.
    Is Alice Davis still alive?

15. hey Bengal mark my words your two reality tv star wr’s will suck this year like they have the past three years.

16. AJ Smith is a vindictive SOB. This is the same moron who stubbornly stopped talking to his head coach Marty Schottenheimer for a couple of seasons before finally convincing the owner Spanos to fire him after a 14-2 season. AJ alone has made the Chargers a classless organization – although the Spanos family have been nothing but puppets during AJ’s tenure. Rather than trade Jackson, AJ will sit on his career and hope he doesn’t return by week 10 so he can ruin the 2011 season for Jackson as well. I hope Jackson comes back by week 10, gets his year credit tward FA, and leaves in 2011 for absolutely no compensation to to the Chargers.

17. Teams have already made trade offers for VJ, I’d guess they were light b/c they hoped they could get a “holdout discount.” The Raiders weren’t one of them, by the way…they’ve had plenty of recent experience with overpaying for WRs, so logically…oh, wait, right…
    Smith made it clear weeks ago that the team wasn’t going to sign VJ to a long term deal, and the trading deadline is still far away. Obviously he’s looking to trade VJ. I’m not sure what the point of the post is. That he should have done it by now? That it makes AJ look mean and spiteful? ha! Both dudes are just playing the hands they were dealt, as is McNeill…

18. Buck Stallion is correct. GMs and owners cannot allow these overpaid, self-important players to begin thinking that they can run the show. They are EMPLOYEES, and must be made to do what they are told or ELSE. If they don’t like it, that’s tough…they can pony up the money to buy a team themselves. Oh, that’s right, they don’t want to do THAT, they just want more and more of the owners’ money. Screw them, let the holdouts ride pine.

19. WV Charger
    Three QBs were taken in the first round only one does not own a ring
    Would you like to guess which one that is?
    I will make it easy for you since I am guess WV stands for West Virgina your top 5 QB the cry baby PR
    I was thrilled on draft day when we got Eli and you got that whiney little bitch.
    Eli has led his team to the promised land once and has at least two more in him
    Rivers well he is just down stream

20. good to see this! glad that some GM or Owner gets the balls to play hardball with these douche bags

21. What plan? To squeak into the playoffs and get an early exit?
    Maybe Jackson will be better off not being part of that plan.

22. # raidersteve413 says: August 12, 2010 7:45 PM
    Everybody in “the business” knows that.
    ____________________________________
    Dude, STFU no ones going to pay you anything because you don’t know sh*t so do us all a favor and go back to playing with your sack.

23. # TheBengal13 says: August 12, 2010 7:16 PM
    ——————————————————
    LMAO!!! This coming from a Bengals Fan… Good luck to your 7-9 season Bungles!!!
    Our QB maybe a mongoloid, but your QB is horse tooth Jackass…..

24. BRAVO to the Chargers (and Jets) for making a stand. These egomaniacs think they run the show, but they don’t. There were great players before them and there will be great players after they are gone. They are not worth as much as they think they are. Sit out and forfeit any potential money. (in Revis’ case—rack up the fines as well) The same rules will likely apply next year and they will be one year older and another year closer to being out of the league for good

25. Memo to the people who hate AJ Smith’s stance on these holdouts: AJ isn’t the guy who writes the checks.

26. raidersteve413 says:
    August 12, 2010 7:45 PM
    “Wow PFT is the worst for knowing stories. Vincent Jackson is gona be a raider in a week.
    Everybody in “the business” knows that.”
    That is hilarious. Do you know what Al would have to give up to trade in the division for VJ?

27. raidersteve413 says: August 12, 2010 7:45 PM
    Everybody in “the business” knows that.
    Just like when I had to break the news to you smucks….
    We’re sorry, sir. We didn’t realize there was a professional working this side of the room. How much is your newsletter?

28. Jackson and McNeill can both rot this year AND next year during the lockout. I don’t care anymore. Let’s move forward with the guys we have and let the delusional Raider fans think there is “drama” in Chargerland. There was more “drama” with Jackson in the locker room than there is with him holding out. Gates, Floyd, Naanee, Buster, Reed and the rookie Williams will be just fine. And I wouldn’t put it past AJ to go out and trade for a WR like he did Chris Chambers a few years ago.
    Go Bolts!!!

29. Florio I don’t think you have your facts straight. When the NFLPA agrees to terms with the NFL it will likely have players designated as free agents in the timeframe that VJ has accrured already. I do not envision a scenario that will require VJ log another year of service. He’s essentially a FA now. His days as a Bolt are more likely than not over.

30. PileHiClown: Do Super Bowl victories ensure that teams who win one won’t in the future: a) lose at least Eleven (11) games in Seven (7) consecutive seasons (Raiders), which is an NFL record or b) lose a three game division lead with three games to go, which kept the Broncos from the playoffs (also an NFL record). Seems to me those rusty trophies haven’t done much for either team lately (see Raiders home attendance last year, the worst in the NFL by 5,000, to the runner up Lions no less). I must be missing something because you make it sound as if those trophies keep your team from sucking really, really bad.

31. # BucHater says: August 12, 2010 7:05 PM
    _____________________________________
    To begin with, they could protect themselves from any future off the field issues by writing a clause in his contract that would allow them to void any guarantees if his off the fields issues led to more suspensions. As for him picking the wrong time to try and get paid, he played out his contract. When else is he supposed to try and get a new contract? He didn’t threaten a hold out when he was in the last year of his contract, and he didn’t cause problems in the locker room because of it. Yeah, he’s an idiot for those DUIs (especially when he can certainly afford a taxi or car service), but he was hardly a cancer in the locker room.
    The problem in San Diego is that AJ figured the altered rules of the uncapped year (most years Jackson and McNeill would be unrestricted free agents) to save some money for the team at the expense of two of their pro-bowl players. When Jackson and McNeill held off signing the tenders and tried to get long term deals, AJ cut the tenders down to minimum value, meaning he’s expecting a pro-bowl WR and multiple pro-bowl LT to play for around $600,000 this year. While that’s a lot of money to me, it’s a slap in the face to players of their level and position. If I were either of these players (which I’m obviously not), I wouldn’t sign the tender either. One major injury, and those big contracts they earned on the field are gone. These guys aren’t being greedy, they’re being rational. Revis, on the other hand, is being greedy…and Merriman is just being an idiot stretching things out this long. He’s going to show up, so why give himself even more of a bad rep? That one I just don’t get.

32. # BoltsFan says: August 12, 2010 8:50 PM
    _____________________________________
    Yeah, that’s a great way to convince your players to stick around when their contracts are up or to convince free agents to sign with your team. Just show them all how player unfriendly a place San Diego is and they’ll all be so eager to sign with you. AJ may save some money now, but I guarantee you that every player around the league is completely aware of what is going on in San Diego. Some players don’t have a whole lot of choice about where they go, but the really good ones do. The Chargers are going to have an interesting time keeping their best players and bringing in free agents. They’re likely going to end up having to pay an “I don’t trust you” premium in the near future. They can only franchise so many of their own players. I just really get the feeling this will bite them in the behind eventually. Oh, and they might want to take out an insurance policy on Rivers. His blind side is going to be a swinging door if they don’t give McNeill a new deal real soon. Seriously, this is like buying a mansion and then painting it with gasoline and then lighting up a cigarette when you’re done.

33. I just came on here to post how much I hate and despise the NO-TALENTED, MIKE FLORIO!!
    You don’t like it Mike? Do something about it. HA!!

34. You do not have to like A.J. and he has certainly earned his reputation… However piling on A.J. for the VJack mess just shows bias and a lack of understanding.
    A.J. is doing what 80% of other GM’s would do in this situation and what the other 20% should do. VJack has turned into a malcontent and I for one am glad we are not caving in.
    Here is hoping VJ, Revis and their greedy agent all blow out their knees! 😀

35. I don’t even know why I read from this site anymore, I can dig in the garbage and find more facts than this so called writer, Florio.

36. raidersteve413 says:
    August 12, 2010 7:45 PM
    Everybody in “the business” knows that.
    ————————————————–
    Maybe you haven’t received your lucrative sportswriter contract yet due to your inability to navigate the english language.
    C says:
    August 13, 2010 12:21 PM
    ————————————————–
    Please shut up, stop reading from this site, stop posting on this site, and most importantly, stop consuming our oxygen.