Rex Ryan weighs in on Revis-Woodson debate

With the Packers coming to town on Sunday, Jets coach Rex Ryan has decided to weigh in once again about the debate over whether Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson really deserved the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year award over Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Just as he did last season, Ryan is saying now that picking Woodson over Revis is nonsense.

“I know [Woodson is] a great player, but the year that Darrelle Revis had has never been done in the history of the league, and I think that was a once-in-a-lifetime year for any corner.”

Ryan tried to make clear that he wasn’t looking to give the Packers any bulletin-board material by bad-mouthing Woodson. He just thinks Revis was clearly the best defensive player in football in 2009.

“Charles had an unbelievable year,” Ryan said. “You look at him statistically, it was a phenomenal year. As much as I respect Charles Woodson, I just thought the year Darrelle Revis had, I’d never seen anything like it, and I’ve only been around football all my life.”

Revis, however, isn’t angry that he didn’t win the award last season.

“I have no control over Charles Woodson winning the defensive award last year,” Revis said. “I look up to the guy. That’s a guy that you always wanted to be like — be like Charles Woodson and cover like he does. I appreciate everything he did to pave the way for corners to try to play aggressive football like him.”

53 responses to “Rex Ryan weighs in on Revis-Woodson debate

1. Rex Ryan weighs in on a Bariatric Scale for obese people at a cool 965 pounds without a jelly donut in his left hand.

2. Yeah. Woodson had everything going for him. Those New York guys don’t get any breaks with voters or the media.
    Give Rex an Old Milwaukee.

3. Maybe the league saw what we didn`t, and picked the great player instead of the “hyped” one hit wonder.

4. I think the league gave Woodson a lifetime under-achievement award. He finally played how he suppose to play coming in as a defensive Heisman winner. Woodson getting that award was like Cuba Gooding Jr winning an Oscar for Jerry McGuire.

5. How productive has Revis been this year, including how many missed games?
    Last year is old news, but certainly Revis shouldn’t even be considered this year because of so much missed time, which was the direct result of his holdout and not staying in shape.
    I’m not sure if Rex is miffed because he knew last season was the only chance Revis was going to get at that award?!?!?

6. To be fair, Ryan was asked point blank from Green Bay Press Gazette reporter Rob Demovsky whether he still thought Woodson should have won the award. Rex was just reiterating what he said last year and answering the question.

7. Rex should check back on some of the years Chris McAlister had when he was coaching the Ravens….just as good as Revis.
    Jets are a bunch of loud-mouthed punks and so is there coach.

8. Jumping to conclusions and running his mouth are the only forms of excercise Rexy does these days.

9. Who cares….Oakland and Denver have been shut down corners anyways. Revis seldom played one on one, he always had help over the top and Woodson….well this year is a better example of how well he plays. If the officials watch him for the holding and illegal contact, he is but an average corner. He perfected the art of the hold.

10. I’m a Packer fan and don’t see what the problem is. Last year he may have crossed the line in his comments, but there is noting wrong with these. Ryan of course wants his guy to get the award. They were both worthy of the award last year, but in my opinion, (biased? of course, I did say I was a Packer fan), it went to the best defensive player last year because that is what the award stands for. The best corner was Revis. But Woodson meant more and was the bigger play maker last year because of all the different roles he had to play for the defense to be effective.

11. Revis was a shutdown corner last year.
    Woodson was a big play corner.
    It is simply a matter of what you think is more valuable. I think Woodson was more of a game-changer for his team than Revis was, though, and deserved the award.

12. # TomBrady’sHairStylist says: October 28, 2010 7:39 AM
    why is this coming up now
    _____________
    Maybe, just maybe, because the two teams play each other this week. Try to keep up Zohan.

13. Well, now that they are calling the overrated Woodson for his illegal hits and holds, he doesn’t look so good does he? What does it say for him that teams are now shying away from tramon Williams and throwing at Woodson? I do beleive that at the rate players are going down with injury in GB, that his number will be coming up shortly. I cannot say it bothers me much. Packer fans love to talk about “karma” and the dismantiling of this team due to injury is just that. Could not happen to a better fanbase. Hypocritical blowhards that know nothing about football. I don’t wish injuries on the players. it’s just classic that it’s happening to the Packers. What with all the Superbowl preseason braggidiciao.

14. Maybe Rex can list the corners that are playing better than Revis in 2010. It’s quite a list….

15. So he had 6 ints in a season. What’s so great about that. Ryan is overstating Revis’ performance.
    No one throws at Namdi who is clearly the best DB in the league.
    Woodson? No way. He gets a PI every single game. Same arm bar on the receiver he did from his rookie year. He’s good but not that good.

16. Apparently Rex wasn’t paying attention during the 2006 season when Champ Bailey had more interceptions, less balls thrown in his direction, and more tackles than Revis. Or also last season how Woodson had more INTs, more tackles, and more defensive touchdowns than Revis.
    Not even a comparison.

17. Yeah I think Smith planned this article heading nicely by saying Rex Ryan “weighs in”. Just waiting for the barrage of jokes that were to follow. Both Rex and Rob are fat ass jerk offs and no one would miss them if they died from self induced heart blockage from eating too much gravy. Fat bastards. God I hate those guys.

18. Champ Bailey (who keeps his mouth shut) has been the best CB in the game for the past 10 years. His year in 2006 when only 35 balls were thrown his way and he intercepted 10 of them was the most phenomenal thing I have ever seen in over 35 years of watching football. He gets thrown at less now and while he gives the occassional short pass he does not gamble like Woodson and plays position so his stats don’t show his real value. Plus, he has never played with a D-Line who generates any pressure. In addition he is the best tackling corner in the game. If the media would ever watch anything but NY and Dallas they may see this. I am so sick of hearing about Revis. He couldn’t be Champ’s water boy.

19. It’s fine if someone thinks Revis should have gotten the DPL award over Woodson. Both players are among the best in the league.
    But for the people in here who are saying either player is overrated or average, you’re a dumbass. It’s like someone saying because Adrian Peterson has fumbled a few times, that he’s no better than average. Listen, I love the Packers, but even I can say that Adrian is probably the best RB in the league. Dude’s awesome. So stop being so ignorant and give credit where credit is due.

20. Put Revis in Silver and Black and have him play man coverage and see what he can do without safety help. He’s no Asomugha.

21. What’s really funny is that… not even REX RYAN knows that Darrelle Revis is just a product of REX RYAN’S SYSTEM!
    I figured Ryan would love to be boasting that he made Revis, and nobody knew who Revis was the two years he was in the league before Rex Ryan got to the Jets.
    It really sucks, because they could have traded the guy and got a fortune back in return… then brought in any decent corner and made them look great. They’ve got Cromartie and Kyle Wilson. Trade Revis…. and bring in a guy like Brandon McDonald.

22. What’s funny is that not only is his opinion wrong, but now that he’s proclaiming the greatness of Revis again in public, the Jets can expect another holdout from him for a bigger contract again next year. They deserve that to happen.

23. So the issue really is that teams will pick on Revis more than they will pick on shutdown corners…such as Asomugha….are any teams brave enough to pick on him…naw don’t think so…the only reason Revis had that good of year is b.c teams will try to pick on him…u dont see Asomugha or Bailey get beat deep and then try to grab their hamstring

24. All that Super Bowl talk in August, with Revis holding out, karma, baby.
    Revis won’t be 100% all year, Rex is apparently entertaining but too much is too much. Just like how he got so fat. “Step away from the buffet, sir”. The food and press buffet’s, both.

25. Calistin is right. Tramon Williams is playing like an absolute shutdown corner this year and Cromartie looks pretty good too. Gotta like Woodson and Revis but their play isn’t on the same level through 6/7 games.

26. Revis is the best corner in the game. Last year Woodson got the award because of the numbers he put up. No one shuts down an opposing WR like Revis does. Woodson made plenty of nice plays and grabbed a bunch of INT’s. On paper, Revis’s value to the team will never fully show.
    This year he has gotten off to a slow start because hes a greedy bastard and he held out of camp and didnt stay in shape. Now that the hammy is finally healed, I am sure he will go back to shutting everyone down.
    the scary part of this Jets team is that theyve been one of the top 2 teams in the league so far without Revis and without Pace. Now that both are back, theyre going to be on a steam roll to the AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh

27. Like ALL jetskis, they only look at very short term views.
    I suppose that looking at the franchise history of failure is just too much for them to handle. Expect more of the same.
    Look for yet another holdout from bevis due to a swelled head and ego.

28. jimmySee says:
    October 28, 2010 8:13 AM
    It’s only a “debate” because Rex Ryan keeps bringing it up!
    Maybe he brought it up because the media asked him about it first.

29. It’s kinda funny reading the usual ignorant posts here.
    Obviously, y’all didn’t watch much of Revis last season.
    Every once in a while, an athlete has an unreal year, when they play beyond human. Revis had a year like that, last season. He was a great corner, from day one, but last year he was that much better. Whether he can do it again,who knows, but even when he was beat, he was always in position… with no help from anyone. The rest of the D ignored Revis, & focused elsewhere… hence, the whole *Revis Island* thing.

30. BengalsDouche2 says:
    —————————————–
    Ding, ding! We have a winner! There’s one on every story. Thanks for your well-thought out contribution to the Revis vs. Woodson debate.
    Are you twelve years old physically, or just mentally?

31. The Freak 84 says:
    October 28, 2010 8:45 AM
    Spoken like a true Queen fan

32. Kisstherings says:
    October 28, 2010 8:47 AM
    Uh, they didn’t ask him about 2010-they asked him about the award last year.
    Try to stay within the story and stop making things up.

33. Its hard for Revis to assemble the stats Woodson did when NOONE THROWS AT HIM.
    Best season from a cornerback I have ever seen, no questions asked.
    As for this clown – habibfromnewdehli says: October 28, 2010 9:28 AM
    Revis locked down people his rookie season with Mangini. Rex Ryan’s system revolves around a shutdown corner, which allows his blitzes to be so effective. When you have 1 guy take out the #1 WR of the other team, it allows you to bring more pressure on the QB. Revis’s talent is in NO WAY a product of Rex Ryan’s system. Learn football before you make moronic comments like that.

34. Should be interesting to watch Jennings versus Revis and Woodson against Edwards/Holmes.
    Jets have a much better defense but I hope both qb’s try to go after the top guy on each team. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jennings burn Revis so Rex has to eat something other than food.

35. Awesome. Keep making fat jokes. They are ALL awesome. But there’s just a tiny problem. You’re coaches (the guys cracking jokes that are fans of other teams)…are incompetent…and mine is fat. I prefer to have the fat genius who actually can coach….rather than the slim morons some of you have. So good luck with that. I’ll make a fat joke for you guys…anyone know any good restaurants in Dallas ??? The Jets will be there in early February.

36. You haters who go on with your complaints about the Jets being talkers make me laugh out loud! I never read any comments from you when other players shoot off their mouths and trash talk. Where were all the complaints with Rolle, etc.? Nothing but a bunch of jealous haters.

37. MuskyHunter2542 says:
    October 28, 2010 10:00 AM
    The Freak 84 says:
    October 28, 2010 8:45 AM
    Spoken like a true Queen fan
    ===============================
    I guess the truth hurts if that is all you have to say…..

38. Sorry to disagree with you Rexy but the best year for a corner was in 1980 when Lester Hayes had 18 (13 regular season, 5 post season) picks and helped the Raiders win Super Bowl XV as the first wild card to do so.

39. The Freak 84 says:
    October 28, 2010 8:45 AM
    ——————————————–
    “Hyocritical blowhards that know nothing about football” is a perfect way to describe the “fan”base in East Dakota. When’s the first blackout coming this year? I’m guessing the next home game. The number of rats who have jumped off this circling turd of a team since Sunday night has been mind-boggling.

40. habibfromnewdehli says: October 28, 2010 9:28 AM
    _____________________________
    Dude, that’s not correct. I watch the JESTS at least twice a year since I am a Pats fan and Revis was a good player under Mangini’s regime. Now does RR’s scheme maximize Revis’ skill? Sure…but that’s what good coaches do.
    (Goes to take a shower after defending both EM AND the JESTS…ugh)

41. JETS held all team’s number one recievers to an average of 24 yards a game…..that’s not by accident….Revis made some really good plays….his worst play was against Miami and it looked like zone coverage to me in that instance….He had a tough year last year he went against Randy Moss 2x, TO 2x, OCHO 2x, Rowdy Roddy White and Vincent Jackson, not to mention Reggie Wayne did the best overall job against him……Charles Woodson went against Sydney Rice 2x and what happened he got torched look at Ocho against Woodson he grabbed 4 for 91 yds and a TD in one match…..Woodson got MVP because he had a couple of touchdowns and a few sacks….their pass defense who had the defensive MVP gave up 40++ point to the Cardianls and Kurt Warner…..REVIS got Robbed….Woodson wore a mask to collect his award!!!

42. Rex Ryan needs to learn to shut his mouth. In two years when Revis’ front loaded contract pays him significantly less money he will use Ryans’ words again and hold out demanding more money. He basically admitted that he will hold out again in two years. I can’t wait to hear Ryan talk about Cromartie when he is asked if the Jets should resign him at the end of the year.

43. Just another bitter, pathetic Queens “fan” who knows his team sucks and can only find satisfaction in criticizing anything to do with the Packers or their fans.
    ===============================
    I’m not bitter at all actually. I find satisfaction criticizing the Packers no matter what the records. You see I don’t hate the Packers team. I hate the fans. The constant thinking that they will be 12- 4 every year and talking playoffs and super bowl in March and the pre season SB champions every year. It’s good that you are fans, but have some objectivity once in awhil, huh? There will no blackouts, there haven’r been in over 12 years. Nice try though. The smoke and mirror how that has been the Packer season thus far is about to come to a screeching halt. It took 3 favre int’s and 1 bad call and 1 horrible non call for the Packers to beat the Vikings. You were lucky to win and you know it. Will any of you jackasses ever admit that though? Hell no, you still think you have a legitimate chance to be a contender. TT counts on hicks such as yourself to buy into this. GB could be 0-7 right now and you’d be talking about winning the rest of the games to get to the playoffs “where anything can happen”.
    Starting this week, your season id going to go down faster than TT does on his “life partner”. Tough part of your schedule coming. Get used to losing.

44. I love it… every team has roughly the same percentage of fat fans. Every team has roughly the same percentage of stupid fans. Some are included in both.
    Then there are guys who take comments by a couple of idiots, and stereotypes the whole lot.
    The Freak 84 – As a down to earth Packer fan, I’ve met one or two Viking fans worthy of talking/debating with. You sir, are not one of them… Another stereotypical douche raving, ranting, and namecalling… none of it original and most of it hypocritical…
    I seem to remember a certain team west of here that was the paper Super Bowl champion last year. I seem to remember thier fans coming out of the woodwork and finally showing up to games. I seem to remember a cockyness about the fanbase. More Viking fans showing up and trolling in chat rooms. The only problem now is they don’t know when to shut up…
    The Vikings themselves are going through the toughest part of thier schedule and could very well be 2-5 come next week. They should get hot at some point, but they would need to go undefeated in all likelyness to win the division.
    Did the Vikes get screwed Sunday, yeah… partially thier own fault. But the bad calls went both ways… Being as intelligent as you act, you should be very aware of that. That game is typical of the Packers/Vikes rivalry… and I’m sure the same thing will happen at the Humpty Dump with the Vikes getting the lucky call to win.
    BTW… I’d take TT and MM over Wilf and Chilly any day of the week. Say what you want about them, they run a tight ship and don’t let the roosters rule the roost. Once Favre, Hutch, and Pat retire… well, good luck with that…

45. The Freak 84 says:
    ____________
    I think you just described your own fanbase there buddy.. I don’t know any Packers fans that do that.
    Bob Nelson (a Florio plant) and Super Suck (a Vikings fan) have both done so on GB’s behalf, but as stated, they’re not Packers fans. On the contrary, this summer, and even more so the summer before it, we were subjected to such asinine predictions from every part-time Vikings fan ever to grace this site (or the JS Online, God knows why).
    Find a mirror, then you’ll know who to call out for “talking Super Bowl in March”. Hint: it ain’t us. No Packers fan is going to claim 12-4 when Ted is still employed. We simply aren’t that oblivious.
    ___
    The Freak 84 also says:
    _______________
    We already are used to losing, idiot. We haven’t won a damn thing since 1997. As opposed to the mighty Vikings, who.. oh, oh wait.. nevermind that.
    I’ll rephrase: as opposed to the NON-mighty Vikings, who have no right whatsoever to tell ANY other NFC team to “get used to losing”.

46. To all the woodson haters.
    He’s playing injured again this year. But you can tell it’s affected him more this year. He got called for a ton of IC/PI last year. Nothing to do with Refs watching him more this year for his performance decline.
    And honestly, he plays like an old school corner before the NFL went to “We want high scoring games” mode. Gotta respect that.
    Oh, I forgot to mention he’s pretty freaking old by NFL standards now. Might have hit the wall like Farvt did this year.

47. i thought we settled this namdi stuff a while ago. he’s an excellent, even great corner. but noone throws his way because the rest of the team sucks enough that there’s no need.