The good news for folks in San Diego? The Chargers will be back in 2011. The bad news? The threat of a move remains very, very real.
According to the Associated Press, the Chargers informed San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders on Wednesday that the team won’t exercise an escape clause that would allow the franchise to leave Qualcomm Stadium as of 2011.
“We decided to make it now, especially given all the rumors that have circulated over the last week or so about Los Angeles,” Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani said. “It seemed to be the right time to do it.”
But it’s meaningless as to whether the team is committed to remaining in San Diego beyond 2011. If the Chargers truly hope to kill rumors regarding a potential move, they should declare that no portion of the team will be sold to Anschutz Entertainment Group. Better yet, they should state unequivocally that the team isn’t moving.
They won’t, and they aren’t bashful about saying they won’t.
“We don’t have a crystal ball, so we cannot predict what will happen beyond the next year, year and a half,” Fabiani said. “We understand that people would love us to make a forever commitment, but we also hope people understand that in their own lives or their own business, no one would reasonably ask someone to make a commitment so far down the road. That’s not how the world works. We also hope people understand we are doing everything we reasonably can do. To say otherwise would not be responsible. It would not be honest.”
In other words, the Chargers are firmly in play to move to Los Angeles.