Marcus Stroud on his way out of Buffalo

Getty Images

Marcus Stroud’s three-year run in Buffalo is over.

A league source tells PFT that the Bills have released Stroud, only two years after giving him a big new contract.

Stroud started 45 games over the last three years, but never made the impact the Bills hoped for after a solid start.  Their treatment of Stroud symbolizes the continued failures of the Bills front office over the last five years.

They gave up two mid-round picks in 2008 for Stroud, when he was 30 years old coming off injury plagued seasons.  After a good 2008 season with the team, the Bills gave Stroud a two-year extension in 2009 despite the fact his deal already ran through 2010.

That contract paid Stroud $16 million over two seasons.  They got so-so production at best the next two years and poor run defense out of the defensive tackle.

And now the latest regime in Buffalo, led by G.M. Buddy Nix, has to correct the mistakes of the previous regime and cut the organization’s losses.

18 responses to “Marcus Stroud on his way out of Buffalo

  1. They’ve learned their lesson – they only sign injury-plagued, washed-up, overrated defensive players UNDER 30 now.

  2. Being a bills fan what hurts? I’ve been a Bills season tix holder for 10+ years now, and hes set to make 7.5 million in 2011. He’s getting old and always hurt might as well save the money. With the emergance of Kyle Williams the Bills have lost nothing by doing this. Now time to go after Bowers or Fairley in the draft.

  3. Stroud was solid as a 4-3 DT. However, the bills switched to a 3-4 which forced him to play at DE. Its just not his spot.

    I dont fault the bills for trading for him or the contract extention. He was productive in the 4-3 D. If the bills were still using a 4-3 then Stroud would still be on the team.

    Stroud will sign with a 4-3 D team and fit into their rotation.

    I believe this means the bills are even more likley take the best 3-4 DE/DT (M. Dareus) with the 3rd overall pick in the draft this year.

  4. It has been proved time and time again that ORGANIZATIONS win championships.

    Chicago Bulls 1991-1998 6 championships in 8 seasons, and between #1 & #8 there was a 83% turnover in players. it does help if your remaining 17% are named Jordan and Pippen, but ORGANIZATIONS win championships.

    New England Patriots – in the last ten years since the 1st SB and today when they are considered among the pre-season contenders for all the marbles – the ORGANIZATION has done it.

    Pittsburgh Steelers – ORGANIZATION

    Hire the right person, sign the checks and then get the hell out of the way.

    Dallas Cowboys – ego

  5. Cleveland may be able to use him in their new 4-3 scheme. This will give Cleveland more choices in the draft by adding depth at this position.

  6. thelonious says:

    People were stunned when the Jaguars released him and John Henderson. Now we have Knighton and Alualu, two young, outstanding tackles. Right again.
    The Jaguars used the picks gained by trading Stroud to move up and draft Derrick Harvey and Quinten Groves. Wrong again.

  7. tomforprez says:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:10 PM
    being a bills fan hurts.


    yah well im sadly a broncos fan >_<

  8. I do think he is better suited in the 4-3 and probably still has a bit left in the tank in the middle of someone’s rotation. I understand why the Bills have made this move, however, I will say that Stroud has been the consummate pro during his time in Buffalo. Whether it’s learning to play 3-4 DE in his 10 year OR pumping up the crowd at the Ralph, we’ll miss ya Stroud and good luck.

  9. As a UGA/Falcon fan I would like to see him come back home to Georgia. We’re a 4-3 defense, he was coached by Mike Smith in Jacksonville and we need a veteran interior lineman to help groom our young guys.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!