Report: More progress being made on revenue split

Getty Images

When the NFL and the NFLPA* burned the midnight oil last Thursday night and then decided to catch essentially the first flight on Friday out of Minnesota, the parties risked squandering the progress that had been made.  One of the big questions as the big players reconvened today in Manhattan after six days off was whether they would pick up where they left off, or whether it would take time to get back to where they were last week.

Apparently, the answer is the former.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports via Twitter that “more progress is being made” on the critical issue of the sharing of the revenues.  Maske cites “several” unnamed people with knowledge of the negotiations in support of the assertion.

Though it doesn’t mean a deal is coming tomorrow or Saturday or even Monday, it’s good news.

As to when a deal is coming, I’ve decided not to predict a new date in the wake of the fact that my original prediction of June 30 was wrong.  Unlike the rapture guy.

But as agent Peter Schaffer pointed out during Wednesday’s PFT Live, if the parties are essentially fighting over $300 million and if money will be lost at the rate of $200 million per week in the preseason, it’s beyond stupid to not work out a new labor deal before the meaningless games start kicking out very meaningful cash.

39 responses to “Report: More progress being made on revenue split

1. Don’t get too excited…don’t get too excited….don’t get too excited….don’t get too excited

2. To be fair, the rapture guy didn’t pick a new date (this time–he did back in the 90’s). He said all along that the rapture would happen on one date, and the world would end 3 months later. He could still be right…the vast majority of us could be judged unworthy.

3. Multiply that $300M times the length of the contract. If it’s a 5 year deal that’s $1.5B vs $200M. Owners will fight it out. They want to get it right this time.

4. I am reporting that a deal between the NFL and the (currently disassembled) NFLPA is in fact imminent. It will happen eventually, which makes it imminent.

5. There must be revenue sharing because if not, you’ll have owners such as Plasticman Jones and Richie Rich Snyder buying all the good players and turning the NFL into the dreadfully boring MLB.

6. I didn’t hear the Schaffer comment but that would only make sense if it was $300 million over the life of the contract not in any given year which would add up to a much higher number. In any case I think they all want the money from the preseason games. My bet is it gets done soon but all the dotting of I’s and crossing of T’s prevent the season from starting until July 19th.

7. The back and forth drives me crazy, yet I keep coming back for updates. I need help.

8. My date is it should have been done a long time ago, the fact it’s not done now only shows that they should end this agreement on July 1st 2035 then they may start on with plenty of time to not have a lockout. if that makes any sense at all

9. With all that cash, you would think dude could afford some fingernail clippers.

10. There must be revenue sharing because if not, you’ll have owners such as Plasticman Jones and Richie Rich Snyder buying all the good players and turning the NFL into the dreadfully boring MLB.

—————————————————————–

The issue is not revenue sharing per se, but what revenue from sources IN ADDITION to that which is already shared should be added to the pool. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

11. turbodog1027 says:

Boring how?

NINE different teams have won the World Series over the past ten years. In comparison, seven NFL teams have won the Super Bowl during that timeframe.

FIFTEEN different teams have played in the World Series over the past ten years. Fourteen NFL teams have been to the Super Bowl in the past ten years despite the NFL having 32 teams compared to MLB’s 30.

Half of the MLB teams have been in the WS over the past ten years. My, what a parity problem!

I know we’re all brainwashed into thinking the NFL has a perfect system while MLB’s is a complete mess but when steps back and looks at the facts a different story is told.

12. This just in…special report.

The fans DO NOT CARE about progress and set backs anymore.

JUST GET A DEAL DONE ALREADY!

13. man they need to get this done.. like im sick and tired of it.. wish i could yell at these mofucas directly that would feel good… wouldnt it?? hate all this “progress is being made… but dont expect a deal anytime soon” blah.. blah.. blah..

14. I’ve found myself watching MLB with a vomit bucket next to me. Please get a deal done NFL…..please……look what you’re doing to me

15. lovesportsandsurfing says:
    Jul 7, 2011 5:53 PM
    Sad to see so many that have had their lives put on hold since the lockout,..and I dont mean the players.

You post crap like this all the time yet your on here too buddy. Why arent you out surfing if you could care less about the lockout??

16. “hedleykow says:
    Jul 7, 2011 5:40 PM
    With all that cash, you would think dude could afford some fingernail clippers”

It’s clearly a picture of a coke dealer.

17. One of the big questions as the big players reconvened today in Manhattan after six days off was whether they would pick up where they left off, or whether it would take time to get back to where they were last week.
    ======================

No, that’s really not a big question.

Why on earth would progress be lost because the sides took a couple of days off?

When you were a lawyer and were negotiating a settlement of a case, did all progress fall apart every Friday afternoon forcing you to start over again every Monday morning?

I mean, really, of all the strange positions you’ve taken during this whole thing, this one mystifies me the most.

You act like this whole thing is some out of control monster that needs to be dealt with on a minute to minute business lest the whole thing come crashing down.

Quite to the contrary, this has actually been a very well controlled process that will come to it’s only logical conclusion right around the time most thought it would.

18. Realitypolice:

His comments are all aligned with the fact that this site is much more profitable when people come here for free agency news. It’s their best time of the year. The longer this drags out, the shorter the free agency window is and shorter his site his at it’s peak. That’s why he wants this done yesterday. While my motivations are not driven by financial gain, I agree with him. Most fans do. In fact it is quite lucky that his business interests perfectly align with that of the fans.

19. @ txhc

Real coke dealers weigh their cash. Didn’t you ever watch Miami Vice?

20. @valman:

I think everyone wants this done as quickly as possible. I was simply commenting on the notion that meeting face to face throughout the weekend would have made this deal happen sooner.

I think that is naive. I believe the parties have determined the completion date and have mapped out the last 2 weeks or so of meetings to arrive at an agreement on that date.

And I was also poking a little fun at his notion that progress could go backwards while the sides weren’t meeting. How would that happen exactly?

21. Mayan Indians predicted 2012 as the end. Their guess was as good as any. Only God knows. The way this country is headed, they could be correct.

22. “hedleykow says:
    Jul 7, 2011 7:25 PM
    @ txhc

Real coke dealers weigh their cash. Didn’t you ever watch Miami Vice?”

This guy is still small time. He’s just trying to make a name for himself.

23. “dewalt2990 says:
    Jul 7, 2011 6:54 PM
    End of the world’s comming next year anyhow..it’s a fact.”

Tell you what, I’ll bet you $1mm that it doesn’t. If it doesn’t, you have to pay up. If it does, well…I guess I lost the bet.

24. This is what happens when you don’t include Al Davis in the negatiations…Say all the funny things you want to about this guy, but when it comes to these types of negotiations the man is brilliant. He fixed the last near lock out in 06.

None of these clowns involed in the current negotiations will be teaching any “negotiations 101” classes anytime soon….

Late…

25. dasmol says:
    Jul 7, 2011 9:11 PM
    @ tommyf15

“boring how?”

It’s baseball. And baseball is boring. Its really that simple.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but the poster I was responding to was insinuating that football would become “boring” like MLB if rich owners bought up all of the good players.

That’s the point I was making 🙂

Dan Snyder has been trying that for over ten years and it still hasn’t worked. Has football become “boring” as a result?