Back in the days when Joe Namath roamed New York, the Jets were known as the unruly upstarts and the Giants were the quiet, classy team.
Some of that perception remains, but Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon has been doing his best to blur those lines one tweet at a time. He regularly mocks the Jets, and took to Twitter Wednesday night to counter the perception from Giants fans the team is falling apart.
Some of our favorite quotes or exchanges:
1. Hanlon: “Seems we should ship the Lombardi trophy to 3-4 training camp sites tomorrow and let em flip to see who keeps it.”
2. From fan: “All teams need to rebuild at one point, I’m not going to panic until the season begin.”
Hanlon’s response: “Re-build my ass! I got your re-build.”
3. Fan: “The Giants are making barely any noise while the Eagles are ‘the dream team.”’
Hanlon: “A lot noisemakers end up in the ditch. . . . Typically we make our noise in Jan-February.”
(Definitely not December the last two years.)
4. Fan: “On paper they ARE worse. No matter who signs your checks.”
Hanlon: “We don’t play on paper. You know what you can do w/ that paper?”
5. Fan: “Can you say definitively the Giants are better than last year?”
Hanlon: “Can you say we’re worse, knucklehead?”
6. Fan: “Giants off-season can be summed up w/ one word: Debacle.”
Response: “Thanks Lombardi. Cause I know you know.”
7. Hanlon: “This is great. We usually get to play two regular season games before people tell us we aren’t worth a s—.”
And finally, this morning . . .
8. Hanlon: “I can’t believe it. The sun is shining.”
We find Hanlon’s salty responses hilarious and actually agree with the sentiment. New York’s defense should be very good in year two of Perry Fewell’s system, and the offense has enough weapons if Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham stay healthy. They can win the division.
In the meantime, the Giants-Eagles rivalry could challenge Packers-Bears, Ravens-Steelers, and Jets-Patriots as the most heated of the upcoming season.