Hopefully you watched some football Sunday night. If not, we’ll let you know what you missed below.
1. So much for Plaxico Burress slowly working into the mix. He caught three passes for 66 yards and a diving touchdown in his Jets debut.
There was one miscommunication between Burress and Sanchez that nearly led to a pick, but this was a very promising start.
2. The Jets missed Shonn Greene, out with an injury. LaDainian Tomlinson rushed for only 16 yards on nine plays.
3. Bengals rookie quarterback Andy Dalton didn’t go full debacle, but it was pretty close.
4. Cincinnati’s defense was actually much better than a week ago. Put on short fields repeatedly, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer’s crew did a decent job limiting damage. They will have to carry this team because the offense has a long way to go.
1. Felix Jones continues to run like he’s ready to be a true No. 1 back. (56 yards on 7 carries.) In the scrum for reserve running back jobs, Phillip Tanner stood out.
2. Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan wasn’t shy showing his blitzes, but his secondary isn’t healthy enough to cover one-on-one right now.
3. Kevin Ogletree caught three passes for 27 yards, helping his chances of winning the Cowboys’ No. 3 receiver job.
4. Philip Rivers and Vincent Jackson look ready for the season to start. Jackson has over 100 yards combined in his two abbreviated preseason outings.
5. Chargers running back Ryan Mathews backed up his training camp improvement with a solid game. (7 carries for 35 yards, including a 15-yard TD.) He could run with a little more decisiveness, but this was a nice step.