Saints lockout workouts included some out-of-pocket expenses for Brees

AP

In 12 days, the last two Super Bowl winners will kick off the season at Lambeau Field.  And the contest between the Saints and Packers will be more than just another well-hyped Week One encounter.

It’ll also be the first head-to-head test of two teams that approached the lockout in very different ways.

Packers players did very little.  The Saints were at the other extreme, getting together repeatedly in order to get ready to get back to the top of the mountain.

The man at the heart of the effort was quarterback Drew Brees.  He recently shared with Mark Kreigel of FOXSports.com some details on just how much of an effort Brees made.

It started when the Saints lost to the Seahawks in the wild-card round of the playoffs.

“Within two weeks,” Brees told Kreigel, “I had it all planned out — as to where we would be working out, where the guys would be staying, how we would be taking care of them — all the logistical things . . . the rookie draft picks . . . we took care of their breakfasts. We took care of their rooms, free parking, free Internet.”

And free insurance against any lockout-related injuries, courtesy of Brees, linebacker Jonathan Vilma, and defensive end Will Smith.

“I very much took into account what they were risking,” Brees said.  “If somebody gets hurt, they’re not protected by the team.  It’s not like they can just go on IR, miss the season and get paid.”

The goal was to help get the players, especially the new ones, ready to go.

“I can’t imagine our rookies coming in here and having zero knowledge of our offense and defense — and then having to learn that in a 15-day period,” Brees said.  “That would’ve been crazy.”

Other teams have opted for crazy.  The Saints could be poised to soon let the rest of the league know just how uncrazy it was to have such extensive lockout workouts.

52 responses to “Saints lockout workouts included some out-of-pocket expenses for Brees

1. really? i didnt know that, who cares we got our football back and atlanta and the bills are going to the superbowl, the bills will beat new england twice this year you will see, that is coming to reality

2. That’s nothing – Tom Brady did all that stuff too.

Well no, actually, he didn’t. He just had a bunch of sex with hot models. But he was thinking about all those poor rookies the entire time.

3. I couldn’t stand some of the crap he said/did during the lockout but this was a class act and showed a ton of leadership.

4. I’d be suprised if the Toronto Bills make the playoffs. Brees seems to be a class act.

5. Say what you want, but that’s pretty impressive, given the fact that he didn’t actually have to do anything.

I’m sure there were others doing similar things and good for them. Actually working for their success instead of waiting for it.

Believe it or not, Jason Campbell and Richard Seymour did something similar with the Raiders.

6. thats pretty awesome

but on another note im starting to think that there are a lot of drug users in buffalo

7. The road to the Super Bowl will go through, be played by, and be played in Indy. You heard it here first….

8. @FinFan68

Get your facts straight and maybe you believed the rumors that he was the only one asking to not get the franchise tag or the 10 million. But that was all false, he did nothing but help the game. Are you dumb?

9. flagstaffphotos says:
    Aug 27, 2011 4:30 PM
    That’s nothing – Tom Brady did all that stuff too.

Is your goal in life to make constant unfunny comments about the Patriots? why dont you hop off their nuts for one second and worry about your own damn team… And for your information tough guy, Brady along with other vets lead off season workouts at Boston College that included all rookies.. not to mention he also did a lot of work with charites in the offseason…. Im sorry Brady didnt go out to the media and puff his chest out like Drew Brees did..

10. What’s crappy about this story is that the Saints very well could beat the Packers because the Saints are a good team, and I don’t expect the Packers to go 16-0. However, the media – lazy as it can be – will paint that victory as one earned on high school football fields in the offseason rather than what it is – one team playing better than the other on that particular day.

The Packers next three opponents are the Panthers, Bears and Broncos – three more teams who did the offseason workouts on their own. If the Packers start out 0-4 then there might be something to it, if not, then the story is what I expected – a whole lot of nothing.

11. Lets say, hypothetically that the Packers smoke the Saints by 3 TD’s and a FG. Heck – beat them at all.

What’s the headline then? Will there be ANY mention at all about how the player led workouts didn’t achieve anything?

We all know that when/if the Saints beat the Packers, no matter the score, the headlines will scream that teams that didn’t have player led workouts have no chance. I guarantee that no matter what team makes it to the SB or wins it – they won’t talk much about the work outs, they may mention them but it won’t be the focus. 5 months of football will erase all of that.

Just wondering….

12. So Brees booked the rookies into a Motel 6 with a free continental breakfast and then claims that he bought the rookies breakfast. I guess it works for gullible blog writers.

I believe that most teams that had workouts had expenses that the players paid. Don’t get carried away with Brees.

13. Brees LOVED the lockout because of the competitive advantage it gives his team with no coaching or systems changes. Once again, Drew Greed…

14. Bills in the Superbowl, really? The only way the Bills are in the Superbowl is me with a PS3 controller in my hand.

15. That was an incredibly shrewd move by Brees. Heck, even if it cost him a million bucks out of pocket (I am guessing no more than $250k), if the Saints win the SB he easily makes up for the cash outlay in endorsements and incentive clauses.

16. This is for the dude who thinks Sean Payton did such a great job with NO last year in getting them to the playoffs…..I say bull….Payton is just lucky his team is in the NFC, cause if he were in the AFC he would struggle to make 8-8. And now, without defenses overcompensating for Bush, I expect their offense to take a step back this year.

Wait and see.

17. Well that is very interesting he was planning for lockout workouts in January months before the lockout even took place and the players decertified!

I guess that tells you exactly how serious the players were about negotiating a new CBA in March/April. (they never were)

18. Drew sure likes to hear himslelf talk. Particularly when he’s talking about what a great leader he is.

19. All this crap that Brees does/did is just for publicity, as Pete Prisco said “Drew Brees is fake”

20. noqrtrgvn says:
    Aug 27, 2011 5:16 PM
    If Brees is so freaking smart, why didn’t he spend the week BEFORE the playoff game and plan out how to beat the Seahawks?
    ————————————————-

You don’t think he did? Did you see his numbers from that game?

21. favrespeckerpictures says:
    Aug 27, 2011 5:00 PM

Wait and see.
    ————————————————–

Saints actually averaged more points on offense when Bush didn’t play.

Payton does have a winning record against the AFC though.

22. I’ll probably get more thumbs down for this and if so, then that’s the way it goes.
    But I have a hunch that the Saints are on their way to be the Aints again and it’s going to start in Green Bay.
    I suspect they will be a one hit wonder instead of a dynasty.

23. Wow, will Drew Brees ever quit patting himself on the back?

24. kayotiicdat says:
    Aug 27, 2011 4:50 PM
    @FinFan68

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What are you talking about? I never said or implied anything about a franchise tag or any other rumor. It would seem you are the one with crooked facts. I don’t even need to ask the same question of you. You have already answered it with a resounding “Yes”

25. Judging by what most of us saw with our own eyes, the play-off game against Seattle, the Saints certainly NEEDED the extra work. Man did they suck in that game!

26. To iamgoodkid ans Skoobyfl,

Yes Baby, the road to the Superbowl WILL go through Buffalo, WHEN PIGS FLY!

Have either of you guys ever gone by the name “Spickoli”?

27. I don’t think it will be a major reason for who wins or loses that game either, but you have to admit that it would really be helpful to have a good knowledge of the system going into camp, rather than trying to learn it in 15 days.

28. packmanfan says:
    Aug 27, 2011 6:16 PM
    I suspect they will be a one hit wonder instead of a dynasty.
    ————————————————-

Yeah, because if they start of 0-1, then the season is over. That makes sense.

29. Plenty of players did the exact same thing for their teams, but you don’t hear guys like Alex Smith talking about it a month after the lockout.
    ————————————————

That’s probably because nobody cares about what Alex Smith has to say.

30. Not that it’s needed, but this adds an extra layer of interest to the opening game. It’s a variation on the Super Bowl XV theme of the hard-practicing Eagles vs. the hard-partying Raiders. You’ll have a contest between two great football teams with savvy coaches and two of the best QBs in the game. Will the extra off-season practices make the difference for the Saints? Good behavior didn’t give an edge to the Eagles, but this situation isn’t quite the same. With no dog in the hunt, I’m just curious to see how it turns out. But since I adore Mark Ingram, I am glad Brees was looking out for the Saints’ rookies.

31. Who is Brees kidding? He is hoping Saints management writes him a check, especially if they have a good start. Braes is a Republican, Nd they don’t do anything for free and can’t be trusted.

32. This is a case of my contract is up next year let me tell the Saints how much they need to pay me!

Oh wait I sued the league last year I already made my point!

33. Saints needed the workouts, Packers didn’t. Saints have rookies that are going to see significant time at important positions (i.e., Ingram @ RB). The Packers, on the other hand, aren’t relying on rookies & they are returning a bunch of injured veterans who already know the system. I’m sure if the Packers needed the work outs, Rodgers would have held them.

34. kappy32 says:
    Aug 27, 2011 8:29 PM
    —————————————————- I’m glad the pack didn’t have any workout’s in the offseason. we had enough injuries last year, besides we didn’t have any players show up largely overweight. all the players kept training on there own.

35. I love me some saints and couldn’t imagine any other QB leading them!!! At the begining of every season I thank the good Lord for head coach nick saban and the Miami dolphins team doctor for not signing brees back in 2006. He makes everyone around him better and is like having a coach on the field. At his size (6′ 220lb) it is crazy to see the #’s he puts up year after year.

36. I remember reading that the NFLPA gave Brees quite a bit of money during the lockout. I hope they gave each team the same amount. An enterprising young writer might do some digging on that.

37. Wow. Just wow. This thread reminds me of the old adage, “no good deed goes unpunished”.

Is there anything you people won’t bitch about?

38. skoobyfl says:
    Aug 27, 2011 4:32 PM
    The road to the Superbowl goes through Buffalo.

————————————–

Please go take your medication and ask your Mom to turn the thermostat down because it is too cold in the basement…