The fourth week of the preseason may not mean much to fans, but it can mean everything to players fighting to make an NFL team.
It’s also going to mean a lot to some rookie quarterbacks looking to improve and to veterans wanting to show they are healthy before the season starts. A few reasons to watch the last preseason week:
1. The Vikings will start Christian Ponder over Joe Webb at quarterback. Ponder, the team’s first round pick, may need a big performance to be the team’s regular season backup. Ponder has struggled for the most part in August.
2. Jahvid Best will return to the field after suffering a concussion in the second exhibition game. It looks like he’ll be ready for Week One.
3. Maurice Jones-Drew makes his preseason debut coming off knee surgery.
4. Titans receiver Kenny Britt, ostensibly the team’s top option, will play for the first time in the preseason.
5. Rookie quarterbacks like Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker get their last chance to show they developed over the last month. A strong outing from Gabbert would help to put pressure on David Garrard, but Gabbert just hasn’t looked ready yet.