Al Harris hangs up the cleats

AP

A knee injury in November did more than end veteran cornerback Al Harris’ season, it wound up ending his career.

The Rams announced Wednesday that Harris will call it quits after a 14-year career. Harris was placed on injured reserve for the third straight season after hurting himself against the Browns and will now look to transition into a coaching career.

“That’s just God’s way of telling me it’s time for me to turn the page,” Harris said of the injury. “I had an awesome time. I thank God for Spags giving me the opportunity to come out and I hope I left a positive impression on everybody.”

Harris had 12 tackles in nine games for the Rams this season. For his career, Harris played in 194 games and picked off 21 passes.

Harris was named second team All-Pro in 2007 and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008 while with the Packers. He played for Green Bay from 2003-2010, but was cut last November after coming off the PUP list. The team still gave him a Super Bowl ring. Harris also played for the Buccaneers, Eagles and Dolphins.

53 responses to “Al Harris hangs up the cleats

1. Great player and even more of an amazing person. Hopefully you will come back for one day and officially retire as a Green Bay Packer. We love you Al!

2. Had some good years in Green Bay. Hope he was smart with his money and can enjoy whatever he wants in comfort.

3. Despite his departure from Green Bay, the actions and words of both Harris and the fans indicated a great deal mutual of affection and respect.

Best of luck to Al Harris. I hope he is a successful coach.

4. will always be remembered as half of the dreadlocked duo at CB for the packers.
    and of course for an epic pick-6 vs. seattle in the playoffs

5. nyyjetsknicks says:
    Dec 28, 2011 4:34 PM
    God sure spends a lot of time helping out athletes. He should spend less time at the game and more time making sure kids aren’t molested.
    ==============================
    just another great statement that proves God isnt real.

6. textexington says: Dec 28, 2011 4:34 PM

God was he horrible in the 2007 NFC Championship game:/
    ____________________________
    Sagnuolo (sp?) must not of thought he was to bad if he gave him a shot with the Rams. As I think Spags was the Giants D coordinator at the time.

7. nyyjetsknicks says:
    Dec 28, 2011 4:34 PM

_________________________

I was hoping someone would do it and you didn’t let me down chief. It wouldn’t be an internet article reply section without wit like that. kudos!

8. Dec 28, 2011 5:00 PM
    nyyjetsknicks says:
    Dec 28, 2011 4:34 PM

_________________________

_______________________

Sounds like I hurt someone’s feelings. It’s almost 2012, stop believing in fairytales and join the people who use common sense.

9. Great player and member of the all dreadlock team. I’ll Never forget that Hasselbeck pic 6 in Green Bay………..

He could drive you crazy at times with that bump and run, but really a hard worker and deserving of that Superbowl ring.

10. wozzmann1955 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 4:16 PM
    “A very classy act”
    ______________

The very same Al Harris who dove at Adrian Peterson’s knee in Green Bay and knocked him out for four or five games. That was a “very classy act,” wasn’t it?

That’s OK. He paid for it later when AP steamrolled him and left a cleat mark on his chest.

Harris is a no talent clown, just like all Packer fans.

11. I always really liked Al. I wish him great success in his coaching career! He was one of those Packers I will always remember and rooted for even after he left the team.

Did he start the hair God trend? He is the first person I can clearly remember with the flowing locks out of his helmet.

12. Sad to hear, but that’s the way it always goes. Al sounded like am excellent teammate and I loved him while he was with the packers. Too bad he couldn’t recover from the knee injury because he rehabed like a mad man. At least the Packers were nice enough to give him a super bowl ring last year because he really deserved it after all the hard work and effort he gave us. I too was at the playoff game where he intercepted Hasselbeck and almost crapped my pants when I saw him throw his arm in the air in victory about 30 yards away from the end zone and almost got caught. One of the funnest afternoons of my life. I only wish he were still on the roster for our super bowl run last year but I guess sometimes life isn’t fair. I really hope he does consider retiring as a packer and he will most definately be in the packer hof. Thanks for the memories, Al. Hopefully you will consider a career in coaching and come back to green bay.

13. As a Vikings fan allow me to say fare the well Mr. Harris. Always a class act. The best to you and your Family. As a former player myself and the recipient of several knee reconstructions I say speedy recovery and a pain free life. All the best to you sir.

14. The Eagles got rid of him when he was a starter pre-GB, which tells you something.

I just remember he got called for a lot of unnecessary PI calls.

I’m surprised he lasted this long.

Good career.

15. Al did a great job in Green Bay. I am glad he got a ring last year. He definately deserved it. Thanks for the memories, Al!

16. ………..One of the stupidest players ever when he was in Philly. Glad he was traded. I hope he will be a much coach if not he won’t last long………What is a “much coach”? You’re calling him stupid??????

17. We as Packer fans look forward to the day Al Harris is inducted into the Packer hall of fame, we as fans hope he signs a one day contract with the team and Retires as a Green Bay Packer

18. Thank You Al, You and Atari were great corners Big hitters gave me goosebumps….lol really have missed your presence on the field all things must come to an end and with that a new beginning. I wish you the best in your new career and hope you can develop the type of product you were. Good luck and thank you for the memories. you are truly missed. From the packer fans in Dorchester. Wisconsin….

19. I remember him for the cheap shot on Petersons knee also remember Peterson running him over with out breaking stride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. linemanguy74 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 9:58 PM
    I remember him for the cheap shot on Petersons

————

Grow a pair. He hit him straight on in a completely legal hit. You think Harris should hit him high? This is football. The safeties and corners are going to go low. Its legal and not cheap.

21. yevrag3535 says:
    Dec 28, 2011 6:31 PM
    One of the stupidest players ever when he was in Philly. Glad he was traded. I hope he will be a much coach if not he won’t last long.
    ________________
    “stupidest”…. Look up stupidest and moron in the dictionary; you are the word that you find.