Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain met the media after Tuesday’s practice for the first time since he was sentenced to 180 days in prison last week.
Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com reports that McClain read from a prepared script for 35 seconds and did not entertain any questions. Gutierrez also provided a transcript of the entire statement.
“I’m aware of the bad publicity that I’ve given the Raiders. After talking to Coach [Dennis] Allen, I have the support of the Raiders, my teammates, as well as the coaching staff. I apologize for the bad publicity that’s been put out there. But it is a legal process and I can’t talk much about it, but I think in due time the Raiders and the Raiders fans that are out there will see it all come to an end. It is what it is; I can’t really talk much about it but it will be resolved in the near future.”
After the sentencing, McClain’s lawyer said that he would ask for a jury trial, something McClain is entitled to, and expressed a lot of confidence that the verdict would be different the next time around. The Raiders haven’t said much, although Allen spoke a lot about off-field character when he first took the job.
Gutierrez and Tim Kawakami of the Contra Costa Times have both opined that the Raiders should move on from McClain. If his second trial turns out the same way as the first, that outcome would probably grow more likely.