Niners have different way to prepare for the read-option

Getty Images

With the proliferation of young, mobile quarterbacks who run the read-option, teams now have some interest in having quarterbacks on the roster who can run the formation for the scout team.

As explained by Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, the 49ers have a different plan for preparing to face Russell Wilson twice, Jake Locker, Cam Newton, and Robert Griffin III.  They’ll use their first-team offense against their first-team defense more extensively this season.

“We didn’t waste our time [last year] working on it against our own offense with our first-team defense,” defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said Friday, via Barrow.  “This year we will, obviously.  So it does help having an offense that knows how to run it.”

Every team need a plan for preparing to face the read option, even if they enter the season without an expectation of facing it.  The offenses that don’t currently have a starter who could run it could choose to adopt it as the season unfolds, for reasons ranging from injury to the same kind of desperation that prompted the Dolphins to install the Wildcat out of the blue in 2008.

11 responses to “Niners have different way to prepare for the read-option

  1. It’s a mistake to think the Niners are a read-option team. It’s just one of their possible looks. And what makes them so dangerous is that they can run different packages from the same lineup.

    Yes, Kaep ran for a thousand yards against the Packers using read-option and pistol. But the next week against the Falcons he ran once or twice on scrambles and they barely used the read-option.

  2. I imagine any team that runs it can prepare for it by using this strategy. I’m sure Seattle and Washington will also have their 1st team run vs their 1st team “D” when playing against a read option team.

  3. Last thing we need is another injury but I fully expect more teams to run at the beginning of the season. niners going be ready to end Wilson and Seahawks season when they run it. I don’t believe rg3 will even be able to play by the time we get to that game. Kaepernick going show everyone he not a read option only qb when he goes for over 4k yards passing this year.

  4. Everbody is concerned with the read option..they do know that carolina ran the option the most at 14 percent of there plays and then followed with skins at 13percent..what are these teams gonna do the rest of 86 / 87 percent of the time.

  5. Panthers aren’t going to be a team with the read option as first choice this year. They weren’t the last half of last year either, and we won 5 of 6 to end the year. Makes sense, since we have about a hundred running backs. The read option will be used as a wrinkle, rather than a staple. By the time we play the 49ers, both teams will have enough 2013 film on each other that tricky schemes won’t win the game for either side.

  6. Wow!
    Haters gonna hate, but geez, what are you, 12? Whats with all the name calling and the extensive research looking for a reason to hate. It must suck to be like that. I feel sorry for you.

    norcalmafia says: Jul 27, 2013 10:50 PM

    So Shecluck fans like to say people troll when their stating facts so heres some fun facts about the legendary Seahawks you can look up yourself…
    Seattle fans like to take credit for beeing the loudest fans in the NFL… the designer has stated the design was all about trapping noise so basiclly pee wee herman sounds like barry white in there..Seattle has been voted top ten for the last ten years as one of Americas worst sports towns but they say there the loudest fans in the NFL?Keep dreaming seaskunks…Seattle has also finished in the top of alot of other categories to..these are all things you can look up yourselves..Seattle has also been voted one of Americas most boring cities, worst dressed cities, most miserable cities and has two websites dedicated to people from other states that had to move there..Its called I hate Seattle and Seattle sucks..Google em pretty funny..Seattle has never one the NFC West when there was another team over 500.There best selling jersey of all time is a #12…Really..smh…according to football stats the Seaslugs are the 26th most popular football seasaps have no superbowls and one NFC championship..Yes this all just reeks of greatness..So Seattle fans get a clue the Seahawks have a solid unit and its good to be excited but when you start trying to claim your some legendary franchise like the 49ers or Steelers (etc) give it a break and wait untill your joke of a franchise has accomplished something untill you keep flapping your beaks!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!