Time will tell if the Browns’ selection of quarterback Johnny Manziel works out, but this much appears true: from a merchandising standpoint, the move has been a home run thus far.
According to the NFL, Manziel’s Cleveland jersey has outsold all other jerseys from April 1 through July 17 at the league’s online store, NFLShop.com.
The sales of Manziel’s jersey are all the more impressive when you consider he wasn’t drafted until May 8. From there, it appears, sales have taken off, much like the air leaking out of a poorly made inflatable swan.
Manziel isn’t the only rookie whose jersey is selling well. Rams defensive end Michael Sam’s jersey has been the sixth-best seller since April 1, with Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (No. 13), Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney (No. 16) and Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles (No. 18) also selling well.
Here are the 25 best-selling NFL jerseys at the league’s online store from April through mid-July:
1. Browns QB Johnny Manziel.
2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.
3. 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick.
4. Broncos QB Peyton Manning.
5. Seahawks CB Richard Sherman.
6. Rams DE Michael Sam.
7. Patriots QB Tom Brady.
8. Saints QB Drew Brees.
9. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers.
10. Seahawks “12th Fan.”
11. Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch.
12. Eagles RB LeSean McCoy.
13. Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater.
14. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson.
15. Cowboys WR Dez Bryant.
16. Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney.
17. Redskins QB Robert Griffin III.
18. Jaguars QB Blake Bortles.
19. Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill.
20. Seahawks S Earl Thomas.
21. Texans DL J.J. Watt.
22. 49ers ILB Patrick Willis.
23. Panthers QB Cam Newton.
24. Lions WR Calvin Johnson.
25. Colts QB Andrew Luck.