On Monday, Texans receiver Andre Johnson reportedly was back in the building. On Tuesday, agent Kennard McGuire declined to address those reports.
“I am not refuting, confirming or denying any reports or stories,” McGuire told Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston. “Per the collective bargaining agreement there’s a period in which veteran players are not allowed to participate or be in their team’s facilities.”
As explained earlier in the day, veteran players currently may work out on their own at team facilities. Which is all that Johnson could have been doing, under the CBA.
While not addressing whether Johnson visited the team’s facility, McGuire admitted that he has been talking to the Texans on Johnson’s behalf.
“While I am personally in contact with the Texans organization, those conversations will remain between myself, the organization and Andre Johnson,” McGuire told Berman.
Johnson reportedly was willing to report for OTAs, but the Texans refused to give him a chance to earn back a $1 million roster bonus that Johnson forfeited by missing the first two phases of the offseason workout program. That impasse caused Johnson to skip all remaining offseason activities, including a mandatory minicamp. The question now becomes whether Johnson will show up for training camp.
Veterans are due to report in Houston on Friday.