RG3 says he doesn’t have a fracture, likely won’t need surgery

AP

Robert Griffin III got relatively good news after an MRI today.

Griffin, who left Sunday’s game in Washington with an ankle injury, said today that an MRI revealed he does not have a fracture and does not think he will need surgery. According to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, Griffin termed the results “positive.”

That’s not to say Griffin is necessarily close to returning to the field: He’s in a cast and on crutches, and he said there are still more test results to go over.

But it does sound like relatively good news for Washington’s franchise quarterback. Now the question is whether Griffin will still be viewed as Washington’s franchise quarterback when he’s ready to return, or whether Kirk Cousins can continue playing like he did on Sunday, and raise questions about who the team’s best quarterback really is.

103 responses to “RG3 says he doesn’t have a fracture, likely won’t need surgery

1. As you can tell from that photo, RGIII still has the same burst and elusiveness while on crutches that we’ve seen in all his past injuries.

2. Is there any way this guy doesn’t flap his gums about something? I know the media always puts a microphone in his mouth but good lawd man!

Washington Redskin fans consider yourselfs cursed if he comes back early. You were given a gift of a non-controversail way out from this guy.

3. Cousins has looked good against a terrible Jags team and a terrible Browns team in 2012. And he has looked not so good against actual teams.

RG3 is better, end of story. But QB controversy or not, real Redskins fans just want to win games.

4. Please don’t rush this guy back in. Especially after Cousins played a great game. That is disrespectful and a slap in the face to Kirk. RG3 looked ridicolous to start off the season last year playing in his brace.

5. RG3 has one of the greatest rookie seasons in the history of the NFL and then was injured his second season and now he’s a Bust?

Cousin loses 5 straight games at the end of last year then has one win yesterday over the worst team in the NFL and he’s savior and Pro Bowler? lol & smh

6. I’m glad it’s good news.

But I really, really, really hope we don’t get weekly press conferences on his recovery.

The season is going on now. If he pulls that crap when the focus needs to be on the guys playing the games, that will truly be selfish.

So I’m glad he’s ok. But he needs to leave the public eye for awhile as he rehabs..

7. If Cousins continues to play as he did yesterday, don’t be surprised if RGIII has some “regression” in his rehab for that ankle.

8. I never had much hope for this season, but I am definitely interested to see what a full season with Captain Kirk looks like.

Hopefully, the Skins will just put RG3 on IR and let him rest the ankle, give the knee time to strengthen some more and re-evaluate in the off-season what direction to go at the QB position.

9. They can’t teach RG to become a pocket passer. Move on with Cousins..let him grow as he is much better in Gruden’s system than RG is.

10. Isn’t it about time for the Redskins to stop the charade, admit defeat on RGIII and just name Kirk Cousins the starter for the rest of the year?

I realize that the enormous cost the Skins paid to draft him makes this all exceptionally difficult to swallow, but at some point they just need to move on.

11. Asked for comment: Kurt Cousins said, “Well Golly it’s Robert’s Team. I’m just a-keepin his seat warm, ya know? But, as soon as he can get out there and hobble around a little bit, I’m turning the reigns back over to him! Who cares if it’s good for the team or anything. I’m mean, since it’s Robert’s team and not the rest of our team, then that doesn’t matter, you know?”

Head slap.

12. I’m surprised he didn’t get hurt walking up to the podium.

It’s time for a lot of you to come to grips with reality in that RG3 is never going to be healthy enough to be the QB he hoped he would become. I would say the Colts made the right choice.

13. teal379 says:
    Sep 15, 2014 12:52 PM

————–

If Cousins plays well, and RGIII says he’s “ready” before the end of the season, we will learn how much direct pull he has with Snyder.

14. Cousins is going to make the Redskins choose if he plays well. He will demand a new contract or a trade. No way the Skins trade him. Likely RG3 will be traded or released and Cousins is the new QB starter. All those draft picks they gave up and all they got was disappointment.

15. Rgme lol a guy who probly works harder than anyone else in the league. In a league that is to soft you have a guy put his neck out on the line for his team every week. Trolls are horrible go watch kiddy football cuz you have no idea what the nfl is about. Rg is a better qb than cousins he started out hott in that game. And let’s be real it was against the worst team by far in the nfl so. Let see how cousins does against a real team.

16. Lets see how Cousins does over the next few weeks against defenses that have a full week to prepare for him. Don’t anoint him the next savior of the Skins yet…although they tend to have a new one every year so………

17. We’ve heard it before BUST! Worst Ever! Just substitute Cam, Geno, E.J., Colin, Russell and Teddy in place of RG3. Stop wasting your time and frustrating yourself. When will you all learn that talent on the field is not easily replaceable the way you are at your job. lol

18. oreo51 says:
    Sep 15, 2014 12:43 PM

After a dislocation like that how stable will that joint be? I bet he continues to have problems with it.

——————————————————–

Yes, there will be a recovery period longer than expected, the treatment for complete recovery is called Kirk Cousins. I’m sure III is going to like the rehab plan.

19. “My dislocated ankle is fully healed after one day and it’s all thanks to my protein-filled sandwich from Subway! What say you, doubters?! Also please don’t take my job away I’m begging you!!!” – RGIII

20. Really, that’s what RG3 said??? Well, too bad nobody’s listening anymore… Its Cousins time, Baby! RGinjury is DONE! The happiest moment yet for Jay Gruden as Redskins coach.

21. all those writing how KC lost those games last year are the same ones giving RGIII the benefit of the doubt for not having participated in the OTA’s and training camp with the starters. KC hasn’t had that either. Give him your support as easily as you give it to rg.
    also, i’m getting tired of all the excuses rg has to underperform. shanahan, recovering from injury, lack of training camp, now he’ll the injury didn’t fully recover excuse. enough already. just play better!

22. Griffin needs to heal, but more importantly he needs to play like he did in 2012 to be effective. Unfortunately for him the only way for him to do that is to play in a style like 2012. Cousins lost 3 games last year with a makeshift OL and a team that already mailed it in at 3 and 10. He won a clutch game against Baltimore and crushed the Browns to get the Skins to the playoffs in 2012. Griffin cannot scramble only run fast in one direction. When he scrambles he throws picks, takes sacks, and gets hurt. Cousins is the better QB and I believe he has a higher upside than Bob. In any event we’ll have proof of that in the weeks to come. If Cousins looks good, then sign him to starter money, and sign Bob at back-up money. This will give the team time to see if Bob can develop into a pro QB.

23. The gruesome way his leg slid off his planted foot would suggest that he should go ahead and get surgery.

There must have a been some weakness in that joint that allowed that to happen to begin with. And since a player needs to be mobile on his feet, odds are it will happen agian unless he gets it re-inforced.

24. This is a great problem to have so stop all the hate for any QB ON MY SKINS. RG goes down to injury and you clowns that have never competed knock injury classless bunch in here. I want Kirk to do the same against the Eagles I’m not to hype about eating up on the Jags!! HTTR!!!

25. What does he not get about the proper answer being “I’m day to day, ask coach if you want any more information”.

SMH

26. New career path? He can sing can’t he?
    Subway foooot looong samich theme song. He good at that.

27. While he heals, RG3 can spend his time perusing the interwebs to see what the haters are saying.

28. Too Late to trade R-G 3 & 13 as all of the teams know who he is now. I think you would get a better trade for Cousins right now. Rightfully so!

29. No Skin’s fan roots for a player above the team. The fans want their team to win. I’m tired of hearing about RGs’ infinite and Cousins limited upside. Cousins is accurate, has pocket presence, knows the playbook and can go through his reads. Cousins type of play leads to consistency and potential for a long term career. Griffin’s upside is dependent on his ability to run straight ahead (see option) and get the defense to hesitate which limits pressure and covers up his poor pocket presence. When he’s out of the pocket on a non designed play he gets hurt. Defenses have caught on to Griffin’s style, and his ability to stay healthy has and will limit his upside compared to that of Cousins.

30. Robert you’re a great guy, great for the community, keep that head up and don’t lose faith. It’s really disturbing the amount of hate you receive for being a positive leader. I’m glad the kids see it and not these couch surfing clowns.

31. Coming from a skins fan, my heart dropped for a few seconds yesterday, but once cousins started throwing darts, and seeing how comfortable he was in the pocket, his footwork, going through his progressions, my worries were over, I believe he has the talent and skills to lead this team, especially with the weapons around him. Who knows what the future holds, but I like his prospects.

32. danind says:
    Sep 15, 2014 12:59 PM
    Safe to say the RG3 trade is officially worse than the Saints trading an entire draft for?
    ————-

people down voting this is funny. at least the Saints only ruined one draft, the Skins gave away three. and Ricky Williams was a lot better than RG3, at least he mostly stayed on the field.

33. It’s a shame that someone like Robert, who is respectful, intelligent, and well-spoken get’s treated like trash by the mouth-breathers in here. Most of you wouldn’t know that he dedicates countless hours to the community and provided twice as many hours volunteering for the “Wounded Warrior Project” than the next NFL player (Jammal Charles) over the summer. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Robert has a lot of pride, and the discipline place into him by his Army (both retired SNCOs) parents have served him well and will continue to mold him into the man he is. He’s facing some uncertainty, but he will persevere because he won’t QUIT unlike 99% of you in here would. In addition, Kirk’s biggest fans on Sunday will be, you guessed it, RG3. He’s not a quitter, and bleeds B~n~G. He’ll be back; whether or not with the Redskins is unknown. All I know Redskins nation is it’s time to rally around Kirk and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS.

34. I got news for Mr RgIII. As a professional at screwing up both ankles more than once each, I read years ago, you never ever get 100% strength back and recurring ankle injuries are common. Ya whoever wrote that got that right.

I do know that I broke one ankle and it was a piece of cake pain wise and healing wise versus a torn/stretched ligament.
    One took three weeks to heal the other 14 weeks in a casts.

Unfortunately some people no matter how athletic and in shape they are, just flat out have weak ankles for some dumb reason. I was one of em. So I would not be shocked to see this haunt him his entire career.

35. RGKnee is finished. A bust.

Thumbs up if you agree that he is a bust, and that if the Vikings do the right thing and cut Peterson, they will still be the greatest team in NFL history.

Thumbs down if you support child abuse.

36. Yeah a change of scene would be good for RG3. Gruden has no loyalty to him, and he wants a pocket passer, which will take RG3 two years at least, to even get competent doing.

The Skins should take that 2nd rounder if offered, and run with it.

37. Yeah RG3 cost us a lot of draft picks which are now paid off. He’s like an ugly shirt or tie that you paid a lot for and then one day you realize that that was one bone headed purchase you made and you get rid of it. What you don’t do is to keep wearing the ugly tie. Also how does continuing right on wearing the ugly tie give you back the money you blew on it to begin with? Those draft picks are long gone, we can’t get them back. We can only hope they learned their lesson about flashy, expensive draft picks. We all know RG3 is just like an ugly tie. Insisting on playing him because he was so expensive, when we know he is just not the right QB for us does not make any sense. If Daniel Snyder cares agout the team he will do what has to be done once he is sure about Cousins. If he lets RG3 start again then we all know he’s just a putz who buys terrible players he gets too cozy with. And we’ve known that forever.

38. “skins1979 says:Sep 15, 2014 1:35 PM

Robert you’re a great guy, great for the community, keep that head up and don’t lose faith. It’s really disturbing the amount of hate you receive for being a positive leader. I’m glad the kids see it and not these couch surfing clowns.”

Glad he does all that, but we’re talking about playing QB here, not humanitarian of the year! Far too many of you blindly follow the media’s latest darling instead of thinking for yourselves.

39. I don’t think I have ever seen a player who was removed from the game due to a significant injury hold a press conference immediately following the game and now the day after.

40. mufasa1822 says:
    Sep 15, 2014 1:21 PM

Team should be addressing the media not the playa’
    ———————————————————-

I was thinking the same thing. He seems to be one of the few players in the NFL who speaks on his own behalf before the team issues an official statement. I also hear how he refers to his coach as “Jay” instead of “Coach” or “Coach Gruden”. He and Snyder are best buddies so he can prob say whatever he wants. But doubters gonna doubt.

41. chapnastier says: Sep 15, 2014 12:46 PM

________________
    Tell me the last time a the media didn’t ask for a comment about a serious injury to any player, much less a starting quarterback.

42. I don’t care who is under center for the Redskins as long as they’re playing competitive football. I support my team and I cheer for the guys on the field. If that is Cousins, so be it. If RG3 comes back cool. Whoever the coaches thing give us the bext chance to win that week, that’s my guy.

43. mikeevans2012 says: Sep 15, 2014 1:08 PM

________
    Of course Cousins has had more OTA’s, training camp and preseason games, that’s really not debatable. And I don’t think the point about Cousins losing those games has anything to do with his ability– it’s more to say that fans should be careful about anointing Cousins the next franchise QB after one game against the Jaguars.

44. Redskins better hope it’s a season ending injury. Kirk cousins is a REAL QB. As a Jags fan, I was mad when RGIII got hurt. I knew what was gonna happen next.

They should dump RGIII for a 6th rounder and a name change.

45. RGIII looks like he’s now even beginning to be out of favor with all of those Skins fans who bought his jersey…next stop Oakland?

46. Beforeall the RGIII haters get up to much steam with QB controversy, just remember it WAS the Jags they played. Reality is just around the corner. Say hello to the Eagles.

47. “Say hello to the Eagles”

The Eagles’ pass defense is something that Kirk Cousins can exploit and make himself look good. Whether he does or not is an open question, but I think given the choice, the Eagles would rather face Cousins than RGIII

48. I like Kirk Cousins against the Eagles, than what RG3 did against the Texans, that was reality already, a top notch defense and vastly underrated, I would let this situation play out and if Cousins takes the job, then well, injuries and poor play attributed to the downfall of the once quarterback savior in D.C. I do find it ironic that Cousins was drafted by them in the same year they drafted RG3, imagine had they not, where would we be with this now and it makes you wonder if RG3, even gets hurt last season, but i retroactively digress

49. One thing I find ironic out of all this is, is anyone paying attention to what Brian Hoyer is doing in Cleveland under Shannahan. His numbers through two games are pretty solid and he just lead his team on a drive to win a game against New Orleans. Maybe it wasn’t Shannahan in DC.

Two QBs in Cousins and Hoyer have both looked better in the respective offenses then RG3 ever has. The only offense RG3 has been successful in is the read option.

To me the writing in on the wall. RG3 can’t run a pro-style offense or is several years away from being able to do so.

50. RG3 is a good guy and potentially a great QB. All true Redskins fans wish him nothing but the best and hope he can return “soon”. The hate on him is misplaced.

We should be all in on Cousins for now.. and I’m a believer.. but he is not a “healthy RG3”. I do, however, have major concerns with his ability to stay healthy and still be “RG3”.

Best case scenario, Cousins plays great… Redskins roll… RG3 gets more good news and is able to return mid season… we keep both, with RG3 as the starter and Cousins as the back-up as long as possible…. RG3 continues his development (I really liked what I was seeing from him yesterday prior to the injury)… and we are able to trade Cousins for several high picks…

HTTRedskins

51. Has anyone paid attention to what Brian Hoyer is doing in Cleveland through two games under Shannahan. Funny how a guy like Brian Hoyer can have success in a pro-style offense but RG3 can’t. Same can be said for Cousins. Cousins looks so far ahead of RG3 it isn’t even funny. He has such a better understanding of the offense then RG3 does and Cousins was only getting a few reps a week in practice.

52. RGIII is a good person. I wish him well. That being said, he has to become pocket passer. Great kid but, an accident waiting to happen.

53. BTW is it possible that both teams lost on that whole trade?

————–

Could not agree more. Theoretically, a trade of that magnitude should have put at least one of those teams into the playoffs by now. But as it stands, neither team is even close.

54. Griffin is NOT a franchise QB.

He is 11-17 in games he has started and finished.

He is fragile. That precludes any consideration about his franchise status. He is not a Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning in durability. Those guys know when to avoid punishment – Griffin does not know any better.

If I were the Redskins – I’d be carefully evaluating Cousins – if he is equal to Griffin or better in performance, he will have the edge in durability. Cousins has already shown more growth in three years with the team than Griffin has. And he has demonstrated he learns faster and masters concepts better and is willing to improve – you cannot say that about Griffin.

Cousins may or may not be the franchise QB – but we know now that Griffin cannot be counted on to complete any season. You have to be dead not to see that.

55. Robert is 11-17 as a starter. I like he guy, but his body is just not built to take NFL punishment. So… its start Captain Kirk and let’s see where this ship goes.