Matt Cassel has broken foot, which means it’s Teddy Time

AP

The Vikings’ starting quarterback job is Teddy Bridgewater’s for the forseeable future.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told reporters after the game that starter Matt Cassel has several broken bones in his foot, which means the job is Bridgewater’s by default.

Asked if Bridgewater was his starter moving forward, Zimmer replied: “That is correct.”

The rookie did not look overwhelmed in his first NFL action, despite losing to the Saints. It wasn’t the toughest defense to play against, but there were at least some signs of life from their offense.

And since they don’t figure to have Adrian Peterson back on the field anytime soon or ever, any bit of hope on offense is a good thing.

84 responses to “Matt Cassel has broken foot, which means it’s Teddy Time

1. Now Bridgewater can shut up the GB trolls once and for all!

Can’t wait till week 5 – lets see how those “tiny” hands help shred GB’s already weak defense!

2. Now only if the Vikings can get Larry Fitzgerald for 2-4 seasons and a fast new running back, then with an improving defense the team can compete. Asiata aint a home run hitter type back.

3. I wonder if tokyofilthblaster is the person who purchases Vikings season tickets just to cheer against them and agitate fans. It makes sense.

4. So in another thread a fan of The Vikes said “At least we didn’t lose to the Lions”. Ok lets look at this great team called the Vikings and who they have beat so far. They beat the Rams, The Rams!!!! I certainly wouldn’t be calling out another teams loses when they only team you beat is the Rams so far. I can care less about the Lions but if I were a fan of theirs I would be marking the calendar for when you 2 play each other.

5. Teddy., a little advice….don’t be out in the bars after midnight, don’t cozy up to the media (they will tear you down in a second if it boosts ratings, play hard and smart (throw the ball away if there is no play), take us to the promised land, and please don’t get hurt…we don’t deserve another Ponder debut.

6. Teddy looked very cool in his first game at a hard place to play. He had great mobility and made some nice passes downfield, something Cassel lacked. Get used to Teddy, he will be a Viking for a long time…

7. Teddy Treadwater will struggle mightily against those Atlanta Falcons next Sunday, the juggernaut can’t be stopped (except maybe by the Bungles). 3 L’s in a row for the Land of 1,000 Queens.

8. Was it just me or on the play where Cassell got injured the tackler was “intending to injure” with the open field, falling on his lower leg on the ground with a foot twist?

9. Hey Pack fans…..calm down a bit with the negativity towards Teddy. Rodgers threw for 12 more yards than Bridgewater today and has basically sucked in all 3 games. Fear breeds stupidity…..so do Sconi’s, so I guess your reaction to The Vikings possibly having a solid QB prospect is expected on all counts.

10. hammerhead5573 says:
    Sep 21, 2014 4:31 PM
    —————–
    Leave that where you found it.. nobody cares.

11. Not a perfect game for Teddy, but anyone who watched today had to like what they saw. Granted other teams will now game plan for him, but he also can plan for them.

12. Nobody here is saying Teddy will take this team to the Superbowl in 2014. But anyone who has watched him play knows he has a chance to be very, very good.

13. hammerhead5573 says:
    Sep 21, 2014 4:31 PM

——————————————
    Another Packer fan mouthing off after their loss who also clearly does not understand the meaning of words. Dumb and dumb.

14. Nobody here is saying Teddy will take this team to the Superbowl in 2014.

That’s only because PFTPoet is still upstairs crying.

15. rgledz says:
    Sep 21, 2014 4:43 PM

Hey Pack fans…..calm down a bit with the negativity towards Teddy. The Vikings possibly having a solid QB prospect is expected on all counts
    _____

I agree with you the Vikings possibly have a solid QB prospect. So does Carolina Panthers with Cam Newton… So did the Titans with Vince Young… Its ok to want to see someone prove themselves in the NFL.

Telling Pack fans to settle down… after listening the Vikings trolls crown themselves after beating the Rams sounds a bit silly.

PS I am a fan of the NFC North can we just stop the griping about who brings up a different team on a post… every ones guilty as hell about that.

16. At least Vikes fans have new hope after their best player and franchise ownership and management embarrassed themselves this past week…..hope for another week anyway.

Still
    Keep
    On
    Losing! SKOL!!!!

17. …man, you guys are tough….give the guy a break! He’s a rookie who got thrown into action because of an injury. With that being said, he really didn’t play badly at all. At some point, he will be a good NFL QB. Plus, no one has mentioned his on the mark throws that were dropped by Rudolph and Jennings. Give him some time….after all, he, Patterson, Rudolph, Smith, and Barr are the new faces of the franchise…..

18. All this hype on a new rookie quarterback. I think he looked great today and in preseason. Lets see how he does practicing with the first team. Lets give him 7-9 solid week’s first to see how he does, with an average offensive line, and hurt starting tight end, and inactive mvp running back. Hope he does great!!

19. Great Caesar’s Ghost says:
    Sep 21, 2014 4:47 PM

We already know Bridgewater sucks. He couldn’t inspire his team to a comeback today. Brett Favre did it in 1992 vs. Cincy. Either you’ve got it or you don’t.
    ————————————–

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard a Packers’ fan say. What other rookie QBs that you can name off of the top of your head have lead their team back in his first game? Bridgewater played well. 12/20 for 150 yards is good. Make some of the drops catches and he’s 14/20 for 170 yards. Just because he didn’t lead the Vikes to a “comeback” doesn’t mean he doesn’t have it. Are you going to completely forget his game-winning drive against Arizona? Granted it was preseason against 3rd stringers, but he was also playing with 3rd stringers. Oh, and he was without AP, Rudolph, and the starting right guard, Fusco. You Packers fans will find anything to hate on about the Vikings. It’s so pathetic it’s not even funny. You know who else couldn’t lead his team back today? Aaron Rodgers, who only had 12 more yards passing than Bridgewater. And Bridgewater didn’t even play the full game. At the end of the day both teams are 1-2. Come back when you actually have a compelling argument against Teddy.

20. Teddy looked pretty good out there. Really instinctive pocket movement and did an good job of delivering the ball.

But you know what this all means…Ponder is now the backup.

21. hammerhead5573 says: Sep 21, 2014 4:31 PM

========================
    I’m the one that said it. The great and powerful Packers, the team all the GB trolls said would rule the NFCN this year and the foreseeable future lost to the Lions the team that the GB Trolls said would finish 3rd in the division. On the other hand, the team that the same GB trolls called “hapless”, “losers” “lose 5 straight to open the season” beat the Rams, a team that many thought before the season to have one of the top 5 defenses. So yea, I would rather lose to the Saints, a legitimate playoff contender than to the Lions, a team like the Vikings are in a “rebuilding” mode!

At the end of the day, I would much rather be a Viking fan even with the Peterson debacle than be a GB fan and watch “made of glass” Matthews and whiny Karen Rodgers make fools of themselves in green and yellow!

22. Best thing that could have happened to the Vikings at this point. Cassel out, Bridgewater in, no QB controversy.

Instant upgrade to QB and offense that is badly needed.

23. In a league where we break down every play week-by-week, it will be easy to have ups-and-downs. Teddy will have them too.

Success for rookie Bridgewater, with 13 games left, means showing poise, having a TD-to-INT ratio of, say, 2:1 or more, and having a handing in winning more games than he has a hand in losing. Oh, and making a few big plays to keep the fan base excited.

Would I like him to lead this team to the playoffs? Sure. But let’s look at the 1st seasons for Manning, Rodgers, and Russell Wilson.

Manning: 3-13. 26 td, 28 int.
    Rodgers: 6-10. 28 td, 13 int.
    Wilson: 11-5. 26 td, 10 int.

I’d love for Teddy to have Wilson-type rookie numbers, but be fine with the kid having a Rodgers or Manning-like career.

24. Lacy’s career will look a bit like Ron Dayne’s.

1. Big back who has limited time. Dayne was in the league for 7 seasons.
    2. Rookie year is the peak. Dayne’s rookie year was pretty good, and then it went down.
    3. For the final few years, he will be a very serviceable 3rd down and goal line back, but not a guy you are building around.

25. I love how the NFCN is playing out. The Packers are on the fast decline, a team well past it’s prime. The Bears are probably peaking now or next season, then their window will close fast. The Lions are getting close to their peak. The Vikings are starting anew and hopefully beginning their ascension. A very young team, with (hopefully) a bright future.

26. 33vikes says:
    Sep 21, 2014 5:25 PM
    I’m fine with Teddy as #1. What worries me is Ponder is now #2.
    =—-=-=-=—–===—-==–=——-===—-=
    If Ponder ever takes another snap for the Vikings I’ll never watch another game. That’s a promise.

27. @cheeseisfattening and mnvikinkings fan:

A: I am not a Packers fan and I never implied I was.

B: I wonder where you 2 will be if and when the Lions or Packers beat them. And by the way, if the Vikes lose to the Pack and the Lions, which I’m pretty sure they will, what does that make the Vikings? I know, I know, a “rebuilding team”. bla bla bla.

There is no harm in defending your team in a win or a loss. I do and will continue to do the same, I just don’t run to my computer to be the first to post a comment and the first thing you would think of is “at least we didn’t lose to the Lions”. That’s speaks volumes about your logic.

28. I’ve noticed that hardly any Vikings fans can make a comment on their own stories without mentioning the Packers.

Jealousy. It hurts, doesn’t it?

What happened to Matt Kalil? Dude is looking worse than Derek Sherrod out there. At least Sherrod has the excuse of missing two years with his gross broken leg. What is Kalil’s excuse? Probably just wants to get out of Minnesota.

Good luck with Teddy Checkdown.

29. It’s very unfortunate without AP in these next games but hopefully AP gets back soon and I don’t think the Wilfs would be stupid enough to release AP. This team is nothing without AP but could be unstoppable with him. Screw AP haters. Pray for him to come back soon. GO VIKES!!!!!

30. It’s very unfortunate without AP in these next games but hopefully AP gets back soon and I don’t think the Wilfs would be stupid enough to release AP. This team is nothing without AP but could be unstoppable with him and Bridgewater. Screw AP haters. Pray for him to come back soon. GO VIKES!!!!!

31. While so called great Packers team got shut down by the Lions. Seriously, if your team is so great then how did you get out scored and shut down? Obviously terrible coaches who just got out coached by pathetic Lions.

32. Cassel is probably breathing a sigh of relief. He’ll get paid the balance of his salary while he takes a nice long time to heal and won’t have to be part of that embarrassment of a franchise as they lose game after game after game this year.

If he’s lucky they’ll cut him in the offseason and maybe he can get another couple seasons with an NFL paycheck somewhere holding a clipboard before he retires.

33. He’ll never make it a full season. None of the running QBs will.

If Bridgewater wants to make an impact, he should study RG3 and learn what not to do.

34. Packer backers commenting on their past greatness always conjures images of punchy Joe Louis when he hung out at various Vegas casinos getting his picture taken with tourists and begging for money.

35. Aaron Rodgers’ first appearance for Green Bay was sub-relief against Dallas in 2007. In that game, he also failed to bring his club back from a deficit.

36. I hate this for Cassel, and I hope he heals up completely. However, it’s also nice to see Bridgewater get a chance to play.

That said, it’s time for Norv Turner to start getting creative. This team is going to need to use all their halfbacks (McKinnon, Asiata and Banyard), with Peterson around. And the play-calling is going to have to get braver.

TB will get better with more practice time this week, and more playing time in actual games. However, if this team wants to win, that running game needs to get going next week.

37. And Hell yeah……..THE PACKERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Vikes without AD WILL beat the crap out of them!~

38. I only wish the best for Teddy but you have to admit those over-sized Mickey Mouse gloves look clumsy and silly. I hope they give our opponents nightmares.

39. Look, Spielman is a geious. He only has to win the NFC North. The packers do poorly against running passing QB’s, thus he goes and gets Bridgewater and he traded a couple guys away for that pick.
    He understands two teams have 6-5 receivers so he drafts 6’2 bone crushing defensive backs.
    His whole purpose is to build a team to counter the strengths of his NFC nemesis. Bridgewater is going to have fun in the NFC north. and he is ony 21 years old, 6’2 and looks bright.

40. My take on this is that the Adrian Peterson era is probably over in MN, but the Teddy Bridgewater era is beginning, and I think it will be a great one.

41. codythao35 says: Sep 21, 2014 6:16 PM

===========================

I bleed purple and gold til I’m dead and cold, but I’m sorry, I would rather see the Vikings lose the rest of the games this year than see Peterson play for the Vikings again.

Someone that abuses a child, no matter if intentional or unintentional is the lowest life form there is in my opinion! Far as I’m concerned, he had admitted to it and it doesn’t matter what the court says!

42. Packers Fans are the worst in the NFL, are they so
    insecure about their team they have to Troll the Vikings sites?
    31 other teams and it is always the Packers fans insulting our team.
    Are you secret Vikings fans in the Closet?
    If you spent your time and energy on your own teams web site, they might not be 1-2…. I don’t know if the Packers will win another game this year. At least the Vikings have an excuse, during a rebuilding period.
    You always say your QB is Superman and they should change the Super Hero’s colors from Red and Blue to Yellow and Green, What is your excuse now?
    We will see just HOW MANY Packer trolls there are sneaking in the shadows by the Thumbs down votes…

43. sad fans,Vikings lose and you still talk about the Packers, Vikings fans you are obsessed with the Packers because the Vikings will never acccomplish what they have over the years, your team is a wreck as usual another lost season just face up to it.Go Lions

44. tokyofilthblaster says:
    Sep 21, 2014 8:06 PM
    Good luck arguing with degenerate Viking fans.

———————————-

Says the degenerate that keeps referring to a bridge collapsing, where many people died, just to troll another team’s stories.

45. loungefly85 says:
    Sep 21, 2014 6:26 PM
    He’ll never make it a full season. None of the running QBs will.

——————————————

He’s not a running QB. He’s a pocket QB with good mobility. There’s a big difference.

46. Lol at the fools who think Teddy is a running QB. He reminds me more of Tom Brady than RG3. He scrambles to throw. Look up his college highlights and stats. Heck he didn’t even run much in HS. Oh, that’s right…you don’t actually WATCH the games. He ran today but only cuz that is what the d was giving him.

47. Does the title and writing even matter to most of these nonreaders?

No sympathy for the starting QB that just broke several bones in his foot. Not a shred of loyalty. It isn’t important to those that comment. But look at what is important to them!!

Comments should be close to the topic.

I feel sorry for you, Matt Cassel.

48. Not sure why Cassel was playing so poorly, and it’s hard to admit the label he’s been inconsistent, then injured during most of his career. I thought he proved that wrong with his performance last year. It was only game 3…No QB shines in every game.

TB has excellent feet, drops quickly and is decisive with the ball, but best case is him watching and waiting for now. Is the season crumbling from beneath the Vikings already? I can’t believe that. Perhaps I’m in denial. I hope not.

Zimmer’s defense isn’t perfect, but they are way ahead of the offense right now. It’s pretty clear that better QB play is the answer for this team. They need someone to make plays and need to get into the end zone. Like it or not Teddy is the guy, but only being one bad play away from seeing Ponder in the game gives me heartburn.

49. This is probably for the best. I remember watching Culpepper come in off the bench in one of his first games and it was an absolute nightmare. Teddy at least showed he belonged and came up with some nice throws down the field. If Rudolf would stop psyching himself out and just catch the stupid ball, maybe they even get into the end zone and win the game.

50. Please, stop it with the Bridgewater = Ponder comparison. We gave Ponder 3 years to get his act together, to no avail. Now the Ponder sympathizers give Teddy 3 quarters and want him pulled. Give me a break.

It’s obvious already that Bridgewater has more poise and play-making ability than Ponder will ever have. Let’s see how he plays out the season.

51. I never thought Cassel was great or anything but the truth be told, he is still the best qb on the Vikings which is about the same as saying the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind.

Bustwater looks frail to me and over the course of the rest of the season there will be a time when he gets flushed from the pocket and gets RGThreed to the ground.

You can’t support a child abuser like the Vikings did last week and still remain on the good karma side of the football gods. So the likihood of Christain Ponder finishing out the season for the hapless Vikings would seem to be the payback for the morally bankrupt franchise.