Zimmer says Bridgewater’s MRI is negative

AP

Good news, Vikings fans.  When the team heads to Lambeau Field for Thursday Night Football, the quarterback will be Teddy Bridgewater, not Christian Ponder.

Coach Mike Zimmer told reporters on Monday that Bridgewater’s MRI was negative.  Despite suffering a sprained ankle against the Falcons, it appears that Bridgewater will be ready to play.

It’s an ironic twist on a high-profile trip to Lambeau less than two years ago, when Ponder was a surprise scratch from the playoff game against the Packers with an arm injury.  Joe Webb got the start, and the Vikings got the boot.

Bridgewater had a stellar debut against the Falcons, who were hamstrung by the lack of game film from Bridgewater.  The Packers will have a little bit more, and the Lions will have even more come Week Six.

That’ll be the challenge, eventually, for the Vikings and Bridgewater.  Once opposing defenses have enough tape to figure out tendencies and tells and strengths and weaknesses, offensive coordinator Norv Turner and Bridgewater will need to find a way to bust through the ceiling.

86 responses to “Zimmer says Bridgewater’s MRI is negative

1. Doesn’t matter. He plays for the Vikings– they will screw it up some other way. His career was over the moment he put on that loser jersey.

2. This years RG3. Checkdown passes and runs. Defenses will have him figured out in a few weeks, so enjoy it now.

3. I hope the Packers become overconfident and Teddy tears them up, id love to be the fly on the wall once Green Bay bars are filled to capacity at 10am like on an average Friday in ‘Sconsin.

4. I fear he may struggle against Green Bay’s aggressive blitzes. However if the Vikings line can buy Teddy time, he has the arm strength to make the Packers porous secondary pay deep, unlike noodle-arm Ponder and Mr Pick Cassell.

Could be a real boom/bust game for the Vikings offense. I think they will score 7…or 30.

5. So does anyone actually doubt TB will put up 35+ on the Packers horrid defense this Thursday?

No film on Teddy + Short week + Dom Capers = Absolutely no chance of stopping him. What’s Dom going to do? Take away Jarius Wright? Might want to start there. Then again, you run the risk of Greg or Cordarrelle shredding you. Sounds like a real rock and a hard place situation.

6. Finally, some good news on the injury front. Vikings, like many teams, have lost a lot of players this year, but not many can say they lost their best player in AP along with their best defender in Greenway, starting QB, OG and pro bowl TE. To see Teddy utilize what he had available to him and bring out the best in those guys shows a lot.

Kinda scary in that GB didn’t punt against Chicago, not sure if that is because their offense is that good, or the Bears defense is that bad. Good news for Teddy is the Bears didn’t punt either. Hope the Vikings steal one on the road.

7. As a longtime Viking fan, I think the Packers will win (easily) on Thursday.

Despite this predicted outcome, it is a great day to be a fan of the purple. I am not delusional to the point that I think we are a Superbowl contender or even a playoff team yet, but I think there is plenty of room for optimism.

Zimmer seems to be the kind of coach that is not in over his head. He has assembled a good staff and seems to be leading the team in a good direction.

At first glance (though it is early), Teddy appears to be a quality QB. There will be ups and downs with him as he is a rookie. McKinnon appears to have potential and Patterson will only get better.

Defensively, Barr has been impressive and Rhodes and Robinson are getting better each week. This defense will improve and needs to on 3rd down efficiency.

Finally, will be interesting to see what happens with AP. I think the way Jerry overplays his hand, they could have found a willing trade partner. Should be interesting to see how Murray plays this year as it may establish AP’s market in Dallas which might drive the overall perceived market.

Excited for the future of this team, but make no mistake that they are not elite after one promising game.

8. pillowporkers says:
    Sep 29, 2014 1:36 PM

———

Do you hear yourself?

9. His Wonderlic test also came back negative!!!! Teddy Benchwarmer can’t find the end zone through the air!!!! We can’t win much with him at QB!!!!

10. Little known fact: the Vikings injury cart has a champagne bucket bolted to the side, because so many players are happy about getting off the Vikings.

11. That’s great news for football fans. I think GB will still win, not that they need extra motivation, but it seems people are throwing them a lot of shade.

I think Theodore is better than Cousins, bit just remember how he helped his team score 40 points only to lay an egg the next Thursday vs. A division rival

12. This isn’t your father’s Vikings. When Atlanta came back to take a 28-27 lead, I told my kids it was fun for a while but we were going to lose 42-27. I’d seen it so many times before. But Teddy had other plans, brought the team right down the field to score and get the 2-point conversion and that was about it.

If it were the old Vikings, Teddy would miss the game Thursday. But this isn’t the old Vikings anymore. It’s a new era.

I hope.

13. Well, I feel good about taking a flyer on Teddy Bustwater with my fantasy team before this week started. I didn’t think he’d do well, but I had lousy players to get rid of. Too bad he has so many points sitting on my bench. I also went and got Eli Manning, who nobody predicted would have such a good game. Yes, I have 3 quarterbacks on my lousy FF team. Tom Brady is #3 and now he is #3 on the QB depth chart too. Brady sucks even more than a busted up Bridgewater. And that’s coming from a Seahawks fan that dislikes Vikings fans very much. As long as the Vikes keep giving it to Asiata at the goal line, I’ll be happy. Asiata is my #3 RB.

14. Can’t wait for Thursday! I honestly think it’s going to come down to who’s defense shows up better for the game. It really could go either way now that Rodgers and co seem to have found their stride, but I’m hoping the Vikings can sneak out of there with another win!

Best of luck, Packers! I can’t wait to see part 1 of the border battle this year.

15. mnfaninil says:
    Sep 29, 2014 1:37 PM

Good news for Teddy is the Bears didn’t punt either.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I wouldn’t mind if the Vikings don’t punt at all either, just as long as they do so for the same reasons the Bears did. Interceptions, giving up the ball on downs and letting time expire inside the one yard line will keep the punter off the field every time.

16. Awesome team win yesterday. This seems to be a rising young team with intriguing new leaders in Bridgewater and Barr. Also I can’t say enough about the new schemes on both sides of the ball. So glad to have Zimmer and Norv. Now can we cut Adrian and move on already. I’m a die hard Vikings fan, but I’m a father first.

17. As much as I like Zimmers new team and Teddy as our QB, I don’t have real high expectations for thursday nite. Packers will get the calls, always at least one or two phantom QB roughing penalties will extend drives for them. That will be all they need to win a close game. Any game against Brees, Rodgers or Brady at home, you have to play the ref’s as well as your opposition.

Packers by 6.

18. @Marshawn Lunch

Thanks for sharing. There is nothing more riveting than to hear about how events in the real NFL affect the fantasy team of a random stranger on the internet. I can’t wait to hear who you are starting at WR.

19. I know it’s very early in Teddy’s career, but did anyone else see a little Aaron Rodgers in his game yesterday? That one time he juked a guy and then did a spin move to get out of the pocket was unbelievable.

20. Packers will win by double digits — Aaron Rodgers is too good regardless of the Packer defense (whether it plays well or not).

Still happier with the path of this Vikings team than in previous. We are and continue to get better.

Just don’t put Bridgewater in position to do serious damage to the ankle.

21. loratiotime says: Sep 29, 2014 1:34 PM

——————-

Did not watch game.

22. 13x Offseason World Champions says:Sep 29, 2014 1:43 PM

pillowporkers says:
    Sep 29, 2014 1:36 PM

———

Do you hear yourself?

—————————————–

I’m glad this is a short week so we don’t need to wait until Sunday before you Packer fans realize this is no longer your division anymore.

23. “It’s an ironic twist on a high-profile trip to Lambeau less than two years ago, when Ponder was a surprise scratch from the playoff game against the Packers
    with an arm injury. Joe Webb got the start, and the
    Vikings got the boot.”

The only playoff win since their Super Bowl………..

24. @13x Offfseason World Champions:

I’m glad this is a short week, so we don’t need to wait until Sunday for arrogant and pompous Packer fans to realize this is no longer your division anymore.

25. “This is Teddy Bridgewater, I’m calling for my test results. Negative? Oh, my God. WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! What?! What? Negative is good? Oh, yes of course! How stupid of me. Thank you! Thank you very much!”

26. Everyone knew the MRI would come back negative. If the team dr’s had any thoughts of any serious injury, Teddy would NOT have come back to the sidelines. You won’t even see a limp come Thursday!

You can easily tell that the GB trolls are worried about what Teddy will do on Thursday night. All Vikings threads are over run with them.

My predictions for Thurs:
    Rodgers throws for 250 yards, one TD and two INT’s
    Matthews and Peppers combine for 3 tackles and one sack
    Teddy throws for over 300 yards, two TD’s and one INT
    Asiata, Mckinnen combine for over 175 yards rushing and 2 TD’s
    Patterson returns for over 100 yards, one TD catch
    Final score – Vikings 38, Packers 17

27. As a Viking fan, it was extraordinarily refreshing to see a Viking quarterback actually throw the ball more than 10 yards down field with accuracy. That audible and check-off on the first drive that resulted in a 61 yard gain was something that neither Cassel or Ponder could have pulled off.

However, I think the bigger story of the game might be the fact that the rest of the team stepped up and played well. McKinnon, Asiata, and Wright all put up impressive numbers, and the OL finally did it’s job.

If the Vikings survive the buzz-saw of QBs (Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford) they’re in the midst of with a decent record, the second half of the season could get interesting in the NFC North.

28. @floratiotime:

QBs don’t typically average over 10 yards per passing attempt throwing check down passes. Is it that you just don’t really understand the game of football or does fear breed ignorance?

29. I have to admit that the Queens have some solid young players on their roster. McKinnon, Barr, Rhodes, Patterson, Bridgewater, all have loads of talent. The question that remains is how will the Queens organization use and cultivate them. So far, so good, and Norv is actually a pretty decent O coordinator. I must say that I’m intrigued, and the Queens are my least favorite team.

30. That’s very good news. Teddy has shown himself to be very poised and with good accuracy. Not bad for a rookie. Not bad at all.

I’m pulling for him to do well because the NFL needs a fresh supply of sterling QBs to replace the ones that are on their way out: Brady, Manning, Brees, etc.

Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, and ___________ (there needs to be a few more). If they don’t rise up, we’ll be looking at Locker, Cassell, Tannehill types and that spells mediocrity.

31. tqaztec says:
    Sep 29, 2014 2:19 PM

The only playoff win since their Super Bowl………..

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Packers’ only playoff win since their latest Superbowl win, which just happened to be their 4th. How many playoff games have the Vikings won since then? For that matter, how many playoff games have the Vikings even played since then?

32. Hold on Packer fans are calling Teddy soft, Mathews had a hang nail last year and didnt play for how long???? ok that was for the tool bag packer fans just like PFTPOET we all have our looser fans dont we Carl G?
    I say good luck to the packers and most of your fans just let the players speak for them selfs!!!! SKOL!!!!!!!!

33. No doubt, Bridgewater is an exciting QB to watch. While he can be a good pocket passer (over 300 yds against Atlanta), he is more electric in his scrambling on broken plays than I realized. Very entertaining player to watch. My Packers havent handled mobile QB’s very well. If his ankle is still on the mend on Thursday to the point that it significantly limits his mobility, then yeah, this is in the Packers favor, given we have an improved secondary with a HaHa improving every game and a guy like Tramon Williams whose now fully healthy and playing back to his form of a couple seasons ago.

But what surprises me is their running game even without Peterson. Given the Packers terrible run defense, and that Rodgers & WR’s can’t always be expected to fire on all cylinders like they were against the Bears (with a depleted pass defense), they can’t afford to take any upcoming game lightly, including MN. I hope my Packers arent complacent about this game against MN. If they are, they could lose to this team. If they aren’t, I think they’ll win.

34. so far we are 2-2 and have not been favored in a single game soon we will get respect and be the favorite but being an underdog has its advantages as the packers are soon to find out

35. pittsburghdamned says: Sep 29, 2014 2:27 PM

As is his Wonderlic.

—————————————————–

There is a particular physical trait that more frequently causes people to bring up Wonderlic scores, and to question a QB’s ability to “read defenses.” Who would like to hazard a guess as to what that physical trait is?

For what it’s worth (and it’s worth very little), Bridgewater scored a 20 on the wonderlic. You know who did worse? Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Terry Bradshaw. They all scored 15. Bunch of football idiots, those guys.

36. and nothing of value was gained. thank goodness there’s at least a mediocre team in Detroit to represent the worst division in the nfl.

37. Well I see the Vikings fans are back on they’re high horse again, if anything this is entertainment lol.

38. I hope Teddy plays and I actually want to get a good look at this Vikings defense, as I have yet to watch a minute of Vikes football this year, but it sounds like Zimmer has that D playing lights out.

This should be a hell of a game Thursday and I’m going to be there. The last time I was at a night game in Lambeau was the game against the Vikes when Freeman pulled that magic trick off of his back.

To answer your question:

packerenglishmajor says:
    Sep 29, 2014 2:27 PM

Packer fans, you nervous bro?

Not at all…I was a bit nervous yesterday, but Cutler did what Cutler does. I’d be nervous if you had AP. But you don’t.

GB – 27
    MN – 16

39. We’ll see how Bridgewater does against a good pass defense this week.

Playing against that terrible ATL pass defense (30th) who don’t cover anyone isn’t the same as facing the Packers (5th) coverage.

If MN can run well they be able to keep it close for a while but Bridgewater is coming up against something entirely different this week. He’s going to get multiple looks, multiple personnel packages and multiple pass rush schemes and he’s eventually going to have to throw.

This will be a much better test than the Falcons so we’ll see how he fares. I’ll take GB to win at home, under the lights on national TV.

40. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Sep 29, 2014 1:41 PM
    Good luck, vike fans. Hope Teddy is able to play the whole game. We want your best.

Unfortunately, their very best is dealing with some issues, however based on the highlights i saw of Bridgewater, Mckinnon they looked great. I still think the Pack take this game easily.

41. atthemurph says: Sep 29, 2014 3:04 PM

We’ll see how Bridgewater does against a good pass defense this week.

i thought they were playing the packers this week

42. Marshawn Lunch says:
    Sep 29, 2014 1:48 PM

_____________________________________

Please continue… this ever so intriguing monologue. I am captivated and heavily invested… PS… both my teams are 4-0 and I have Asiata too! Do you care? I wouldn’t.

43. “Baby hands” Bridgewater is going to get brought back to reality quickly Thursday. This is Lambeau with 80,000 fans not that H. S. Stadium he played in yesterday. Packers roll!
    Skoal!

44. I absolutely hate the argument about “well, we’ve got more game film on him now, so he won’t play as well when he faces us.”

Number 1: most of these teams evaluated the player as part of the draft process, including all game film going back probably as far as high school; and

Number 2: it implies that Atlanta’s defense PERMITTED Bridgewater to play well, rather than Bridgewater getting any credit for his good play. I watched the whole game yesterday, Atlanta’s defense was trying hard to stop the Vikings, and they ran all over them.

Sometimes writers try too hard to discount something that happens in a game as somehow a “fluke” or, in this case, a defense that “didn’t have enough game film” to stop the Vikings from racking up more yardage than they’ve had in ten years. The reason they do this is because they don’t like admitting that their “expert analysis” of the team was way off, and that they’ve probably ranked a team way lower than they should’ve.

45. Likes: Seinfeld reference about negative test results. Bridgewater’s first game.

Dislikes: Hearing about people’s fantasy football teams. Packer fans trolling Viking articles.

46. At least no one this week will be calling him tiny ankles.
    Badoom-bam!
    Seriously,I only watched a little over a quarter of the Vikings’ game, but I thought he looked pretty impressive. Still feel however that his slight frame is just not going to stand up under NFL hits too well.

47. lp5710 says:

Why do all the Vikings fans posts have to mention the Packers?

————————————————-

Um, the Vikings and Packers play Thursday night. Try to keep up, will ya.

48. After this game, the next time we hear from most “fair weather” Vikings fans will be in April. Right after the draft when the excitement builds on the other side of the Mississippi for the guy the Vikings took at #8 in the 1st round of the draft. Have a nice winter!
    Skolol!

49. packers are just dumb enough to think they have a Chance in this one just look at there head coach he looks like a big green stack you know there just is something when players put on that horrid color they always gonna be last in div this year you know why cause there fumble hand lacy who is so bad…

ok gb dont worry the lions of old could beet you heck even the raiders would beet you right now

50. I have watched Teddy play for a couple years now. He is accurate. He understands the game well. Problem is, he is in the NFL now days. Teams will be able to scheme against him and limit his effectiveness.

Anyway, I’m not putting a whole lot of faith in GB winning, but I do think that Minnesota will find a way to lose. It is just how they are.

51. twisteditoff says:
    Sep 29, 2014 4:34 PM

packers are just dumb enough to think they have a Chance in this one
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Yeah… the Packers, every sports book on the planet, and everyone else who actually knows anything about football. Wishful thinking is cute… in a 6 year old. Step it up, man. You’re 15…. act like it!

52. Here’s an interesting fact, the Vikings first round draft pick Anthony Barr is the guy who ended Matt Barkley’s college career by breaking his collar bone.

I hope the Packers don’t have anyone on their team with fragile collar bones or it could spell trouble.

53. The Vikings will sack Aaron Rodgers a bunch in this Thursday’s game.

The Vikings also will score way more points than anyone expects.

Teddy’s ankle is fine, he will play and he will be mobile.

54. It’s all about pressure. Rogers is totally two different players when he is pressed hard. If the pass rush can’t get him, he’ll carve the Vikings up.

It’ll be an interesting game and I hope it’s fun to watch.

55. Mediasloppy you don’t know what you are talking about. Rodgers is the best qb vs. the blitz the past 2 years running, this is common knowledge.

As far as the queen trolls we have been hearing the tough talk for the past 5 years from you and what has it amounted to you ask? A 1-9-1 record against the Pack. The only thing different each year is your usernames. You would think after being wrong that much one would think you would actually win before you open your mouths. See a few of you after the season when you return and start bragging once again about another offseason championship.