No decision, no deal in Peterson appeal

Getty Images

Eight days ago, the hearing concluded before arbitrator Harold Henderson in the Adrian Peterson personal conduct policy appeal.  To date, no ruling has been issued.

The delay necessarily means that Peterson won’t be available to play for the Vikings on Sunday at Detroit.  Even if Henderson issues a Friday afternoon bad-news dump decision clearing Peterson to return to action, the Vikings would have a hard time putting him back on the field after 14 weeks away from practice and games.

Henderson previously has urged the NFL and NFLPA to try to settle the case.  Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFLPA made a proposal last week, and the NFL has not yet responded.

The labor deal requires a decision from Henderson “as soon as practicable.”  It’s unclear why he has needed eight days and counting to decide the fairly narrow questions of:  (1) whether Peterson would receive credit for games missed on paid leave; (2) whether the new domestic violence policy would apply to Peterson retroactively; and/or (3) whether the punishment was excessive in light of past precedent.

Peterson continues to be paid while awaiting a decision from Henderson.  Which would likely cause the NFL to say Peterson isn’t losing anything by not being permitting to play.  Which continues to be one of the most confounding and erroneous aspects of the league’s belief that paid leave doesn’t constitute discipline.

Of course paid leave is discipline when it comes to a professional football player.  Professional football players want to play football.

Some (like me) believe that a decision was made weeks ago that Peterson won’t be playing football again in 2014.  The events of the past several weeks (and of the next 16 days) may simply be the means to a predetermined end that has created a significant competitive disadvantage for a Vikings team that has generated a 6-7 record without the benefit of Peterson’s services — but that has carried his salary and cap number all season long.

54 responses to “No decision, no deal in Peterson appeal

1. Look, Peterson was not punished as he sat home collecting a paycheck for doing nothing. That cannot be disputed. What also cannot be disputed is that the league and now this hearing has screwed AP. There is no reason at all for this decision to have taken this long.

2. No decision/no deal pretty much means the smoking gun the NFLPA claimed to have was nothing but a cap gun.

No proven recording of Vincent. The NFL called their bluff.

Thankfully no Peterson this year. Maybe he can find a job as a tree pruner during the off season and he gives up football altogether!

3. He doesn’t deserve “time served” at all and anyone who thinks he does is an idiot. And I’m a left-leaning union supporter who almost always supports players over owners.

4. Good. Make his suspension stretch well into next year. He’s an idiot for appealing instead of getting it over this year. The guy should be serving prison time without question, not collecting million dollar pay checks.

5. He’s just buying time so the Vikings can not activate him the last couple games so that they can retain his rights so they can trade their property. If they made a decision earlier they wouldn’t be able to pull it off and the Vikings would have had to activate him or release him. Now the last memory the fans have of Peterson is his season in exile. No love lost, fans have an obligation to root for the organization. If they didn’t they wouldn’t be fan(atic)s.

6. AP cannot be punished under the new policy as the NFLPA had not agreed to it as of Petersons court case. Due process is being violated as it pertains to the Nfl and Union this far. Also any fan stating he should never play again for our Vikings should go jump on the Green Bay fan wagon. Second chance make this life worth living and if ur against second chances, you are a hypocrite and should stop breathing.

7. The Vikings have proven this year, they don’t miss AP as much as people thought, and that long term, it will be best for the team to move on from AP.

They need to invest in an O-line, WR, Secondary and just depth all around. If they want to compete for a division title.

8. “Look, Peterson was not punished as he sat home collecting a paycheck for doing nothing. That cannot be disputed.”

Actually it certainly can be disputed. Anyone who has ever performed as part of a team or group knows that being deprived of being able to perform as part of that team or group is significant punishment.

I’ve toured for 3o years doing concert lighting and have worked for one particular group for almost 20 years. Were I deprived of being part of those shows I would be totally depressed even if the band still paid me my normal salary. Its one of the central parts of my personal identity and how I think of myself. Its heart rending to work your rear end off on a performance of any kind and then be cut from it.

I’m not defending Peterson, just disputing your claim. You’re quite wrong.

9. There is no reason that a decision has not been made. I don’t understand how the NFL can justify keeping him suspended until April for a misdemeanor (don’t try to argue the case with me, because I will destroy every shred of credibility you have).

10. I’ve been a Viking 4life since 1968 (translated means glutton for punishment-proof positive is this incident). However Adrian Peterson would only be reinstated in time for the season to end?! The audacity of Adrian Peterson to state that he wants to talk over with his wife whether or not he wants to come back to the Vikings-after everything they’ve done for him……………….what a joke!

11. Peterson’s a cowardly turd, but the arbitrator and the NFL are screwing him over by not making a decision. Why isn’t the NFLPA demanding a resolution?

12. paid leave cant be argued as punishment? thats idiotic. An nfl player makes his future money off of current performance, take away current performance you take away future money. This is not rocket science.

13. Not playing is punishment, whether or not he is being paid. What has he lost?; his shot at the Hall of Fame, millions in endorsements, his shot at becoming the record holder for the most yards by a running back, his reputation, his legacy and more or less everything that he’s ever worked for … all because he didn’t understand the changing social standard around corporal punishment. Call him an idiot if you’d like, call him uninformed, you can even say that he didn’t understand the difference between how he was raised and how it is now done, but I for one do not believe that he is a malicious individual or intended to get his jollies by inflicting harm on his son. His intent was to mold him into a better person. Yes; his methods were wrong, but don’t tell me that if he were allowed to play tomorrow that he would not have been punished. That’s just misinformed.

14. Mr. Florio: You are a smart man and I think you’re just playing around here. Peterson may very well be receiving credit for games already missed. Perhaps the penalty for his criminal behavior warranted a two year suspension according to the people who are deciding the punishment. So he might have to miss next year too. I haven’t read anywhere where the league said anything about what percentage of the total games missed will he be receiving credit for. If you have that information, please share it with us. I hear talk about precedent. I don’t remember any precedent for a player torturing a four year old child. Please share this information if I missed it too.

15. They’ll reinstate him with one game left to play and say it’s up to the Vikings whether to play him, and of course they won’t. This whole thing is so stupid.

16. I’m one of the few who thinks Godell should keep his job and has done a passable (barely) job thru some very tough issues. . . . . BUT this is just wrong.
    Can anyone name anyone who has missed more time due to an NFL discipline?

Some 3rd or 5th time drug offenders, perhaps, but otherwise Roger has just chosen to hang AP because he feels that is what the public wants.
    What about what is fair?
    What about precedent?

17. What in sam hill have the Vikings done for AD other than pay him what he’s worth, according to todays scale? They drafted him too…..i guess that counts for something.

18. This script couldn’t have worked any better for Mark Murphy & Goodell.
    Eliminate All Day from the 2014 Vikings & try to capitalize as much as possible.
    But, there is a catch. The 2ND Rd. of the playoffs. Cheesebay will not make it past that Rd.

19. The Vikings could be 5-8 with him. You just don’t know. I hope he learns from his huge mistakes and never plays this privileged game one more down. It’s not like they were ever any good with him.

20. Vikings fans should sue the NFL. If I bought tickets for my favorite team that revolved around one player and that player was railroaded by the league, I’d think about doing it.

21. sterling7 says:
    Dec 12, 2014 4:11 PM

————–
    How can you say “after everything they’ve done for him” the Vikings are behind every lengthy delayed drama related detail in regards to the situation. Also positive proof of my claim that the fans have an obligation to root for a disingenuous franchise.

22. tdteddyin says: Dec 12, 2014 4:05 PM

——————————————————-
    The courts and their punishment have nothing to do with the NFL’s discipline policy. If they want to suspend him for life because of this they can.
    Ever hear of Pete Rose? He was a baseball player with no criminal convictions, yet he has been banned for life. I could go on but you have no credibility for me to waste any more time on.

23. The “Williams Wall” guys delayed their drug suspension for month after month, playing when they should have been sitting. Maybe Peterson is catching a little karma blowback from that.

24. tdteddyin says:
    Dec 12, 2014 4:05 PM

He is an admitted abuser of a 4 yr old beaten until bloody with leaves stuffed in his mouth to quiet him down. That’s all I need try shredding that! Credibility Pfft!

25. As a Viking fan of many years I am indifferent as to wether or not AD returns to the team, I always thought he was a pretty decent guy for a star athlete but what he did just goes beyond normal disciplining a four year old . That being said it sure is odd that after all this time they are still stonewalling the decision to reinstate him , very curious indeed and some major lawsuits are definitely on the horizon I predict .

26. rightwingguy says:
    Dec 12, 2014 3:49 PM
    Once again the nfl screws the Vikings.
    ____________________

Believe it or not Peterson could have avoided this whole thing quite easily….

I don’t think Vikings are the victim of any screwing in this scenario

27. This is a lawsuit in the making. I am disgusted by what he did, but that doesn’t mean he should be denied a fair hearing with the league and a reasonable time in which to receive a response. His legal case is over, a new conduct policy is being touted…what’s the hold up?

And of course paid leave is discipline. It’s exile. Police, firemen, and many other unionized professions explicitly indicate paid administrative leave as the first step in the disciplinary process.

28. A true Professional Football player wants to play football even if he’s being paid for not playing football. It’s not the same. Everything is about stats and how you’re compared to other players. Those same stats can determine your future and your future earnings.

Right now Adrian Peterson is not mentioned in the same current conversation on top running backs. I’m sure that hurts because he knows he’s better than most of them out there. A true professional player with his skill set wants to be part of that conversation, considering he still ready and able. Not too long ago, he was only a few yards from breaking Eric Dickerson record. Now we don’t even talk about him.

29. Peterson has no incentives on this contract, but the way this is being handled sets a precedence for people that do. Not to mention, not playing this year is going to impact team interest for next year. Sure, he is making money for not playing, but he is most certainly being penalized. The shelf life for running backs is short and the age clock is ticking. The longer he is suspended with pay, the longer his suspension is next year, the older he will be, and the less likely a team will sign him.

This is probably going to end inside of a courtroom and I don’t see it ending well for the NFL.

30. “he events of the past several weeks (and of the next 16 days) may simply be the means to a predetermined end that has created a significant competitive disadvantage for a Vikings team that has generated a 6-7 record without the benefit of Peterson’s services — but that has carried his salary and cap number all season long.”

On the surface this seems to be a real bad deal for the Vikings, but I really don’t care if Billionaire Ziggy Wilf has to shovel out millions to AD or not. If the cap number was an issue, I could agree. But the VIKINGS ARE UNDER CAP are they not? All the 6-7 really shows is how fungible the RB position has become due to the ascension of the Meta-QB. The competition committee needs to look at throttling back the QB position before it wrecks the game as crappy teams with superlative QB’s are contenders and they should not be.

31. GenXJay says:
    Dec 12, 2014 4:23 PM
    This script couldn’t have worked any better for Mark Murphy & Goodell.

——————————————————————–

Seriously? The NFL and Mark Murphy did this so the Vikings didn’t beat the Packers in the division this year? Wow. You cant possibly believe that.

32. Why don’t Trump start a new football league, the NFL OWERS and Goodell is you know what, with Capital Letters.

33. So you’re telling me that the NFL has once again found a way to screw over the Vikings? Next you’re going to tell me that the sky is blue, and water is wet, and wait, what’s that…women have secrets?

(Name that movie!)

34. This is actually a good thing for Peterson. If he was going to get cut next year… at least he gets to collect the rest of this years larger checks.

35. Getoffmylawn! says: Dec 12, 2014 4:31 PM

tdteddyin says: Dec 12, 2014 4:05 PM

——————————————————-
    Getoffmylawn! says: Dec 12, 2014 4:31 PM

——————————————————-
    You are correct that the courts have nothing to do with NFL discipline policy. However, the CBA prohibits the league from doing what they are doing. That is why if this arbitrator rules against Peterson’s camp, they will take this to federal court. The league is in the wrong.

36. The Vikings have won 4 games since drafting Peterson vs. GB.

Half of those were because of Brett Favre. Peterson isn’t the reason the Vikings win vs. GB as much as you would like to think.

37. 1 year of not playing is at least 10% of a RB’s career, which isn’t fair at all. His best years are behind him, and this makes it harder for him to get a contract next year.

38. the suspension for the rest of the year will stand, but he shouldn’t have to beg for Goodell’s mercy on 3/15 — he should be reinstated at season’s end. It’s the extended suspension that really screws the Vikings and AP.

39. Check out deltaoracle and shaggytoodle with their spot on analysis — correct on all posts on this thread.

Vikings need to cut ties with AP for multiple choices reasons during the off season —- best for both parties to pursue different paths.

40. Not a vikings fan per se, but forget the name of the player for a moment. Let’s say it’s your team’s best player who also happens to be one of the best in the league and he was convicted of a misdemeanor but yet is punished harsher than someone who committed murder (J.Brent). We all know 99% of the posters here are true blue homers, so go ahead and try to convince me that you wouldn’t be up in arms if your player was treated like Peterson. I am a huge football fan but I’m also very objective. While I do not condone what Peterson did, there’s no question that both he and the Vikings have been screwed over by Goodell. If you have the ability to do so (which I doubt most of you do) think about it for a moment, murder = 10 game suspension and a misdemeanor= indefinite suspension and for sure one year. I don’t care what team is your favorite team, if you are a football fan, you have to understand how easily Goodell could do this to your team and that the vikings and Peterson have been crucified.

41. It’s obvious that the arbitrator is scared of the consequences and backlash from either side depending on which way he rules. There would be no reason for him to encourage both sides to reach a deal, unless he’s scared to make a ruling. And there’s no way possible he’s still weighing the evidence.

42. Why is it “confounding” for a journalist to understand being paid millions does not = being punished. This concept happens everywhere; law enforcement, schools of all types, government positions etc…. grow up and stop trying to be a relevant liberal journalist

43. Is it possible the Vikings really don’t want him back either this year? That is not that farfetched when you look back at the reaction that occurred in their fan and advertiser base