Golden Tate’s response to Barry Church: Never heard of him

AP

Cowboys safety Barry Church is warning Lions receiver Golden Tate that Sunday’s game will be payback time for a hit that Tate landed on Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee two years ago. But Tate doesn’t sound too worried.

Asked about Church’s comments, Tate said he had never even heard of Church until he was told that Church was talking about him.

“Man, I don’t know this guy,” Tate said, via ESPN. “I just now heard of him yesterday from this incident. He’s trying to get on the scene, I guess. We’ll see.”

Tate says he still doesn’t see anything wrong with the hit he laid on Lee in 2012, a hit that did not draw a penalty flag but did draw a $21,000 fine.

“Well, we didn’t get a flag two years ago and I didn’t think I should have been fined either,” Tate said.

Tate said he thinks it’s “weird” that Church is planning revenge for something that didn’t even involve him and happened two years ago, but Tate says Church can do whatever he wants.

“If you play within the rules, I have no problem with that,” Tate said. “This game is a physical game. It’s not the first time that people have, I guess, called me out. An old great football player told me once that you can’t hit what you can’t catch. So, we’ll see.”

Church will try to catch Tate on Sunday, and make sure Tate learns who he is and doesn’t forget.

116 responses to “Golden Tate’s response to Barry Church: Never heard of him

1. Can’t wait until Church drops the hammer on Tate. Btw, would anyone even know of Tate if he didn’t push off of Sitton for the “game winning” catch?

2. Ah, I can see Tate is a real student of the game who knows his upcoming opponent’s roster well.

3. What are the odds on a flag the first big hit Church lays on Tate? Not too smart on Church’s part to put that out there before the game.

4. Tate is a punk. We’ve all seen his antics. Players like him get humbled sooner or later.

5. The WWE comes to the NFL… Get the popcorn and chair set up for Sunday, and watch nothing even happen… All the action is going to be in the press and social media between these 2 clowns… Even though I’d like to see Church lay out that bum Tate

6. Wow…Church and Lee need to play a different sport. Just watched the hit and it looked totally clean. Maybe Lee shouldn’t run around like a kicker, probably explains why Lee is always hurt

7. Going to be embarrassing for Church when Tate blows him out on a block, and then shakes him on a screen pass.

8. Big hits are fine when the player has some idea its coming. Doesn’t take a man to blindside someone who isn’t expecting it. Don’t respect Golden tater tot on that one.

9. Tate’s only problem is his immaturity. Since the day he came into the league (Top Pot Doughnuts) until today, he has always been a bit of a mental midget.

It took him 3 years to learn how to be a professional. The Seattle front office and coaching staff exercised extreme patience with him through his first couple seasons. Even in the face of fans and media screaming “bust”, Pete Carroll and company stood behind him because he has such raw talent.

Once he figured out what it means, and what it takes, to be a professional, he went on a tear. Unfortunately another lapse of maturity judgment ultimately cost him his spot on the Seahawk roster. Yeah there is another story behind his exit from Seattle but it’s unsubstantiated and not appropriate for this forum. So just know and understand the only thing keeping Golden Tate from being a potential HOFer is his immaturity.

10. Love how two years later, we’re still talking about the ‘hit’ on Sean Lee – that is all Lee’s fault due to the fact that he was running down field without looking at where he was going. If anything Lee should have been flagged and fined for not being smart enough to protect himself.

11. Tate’s clean catch in the endzone against Green Bay gets a bad rap. He caught it and as he was celebrating, some packers clown grabbed the ball and claimed it was an interception. This Church guy sounds like someone who wants the spotlight on him so he can fail spectacularly.

12. “If you play within the rules, I have no problem with that,” Tate said.

Wasn’t Tate’s blindside crack back block on Lee against the rules?

Based on his comment, I guess he has a problem with his teammates not playing within the rules themselves.

13. Still got a lot of respect for Tate…dudes clutch. Still remember him catching that td against the rams and waiving at the db as he was running in the end zone lol

14. “Tate is a punk. We’ve all seen his antics. Players like him get humbled sooner or later.”

Joke’s on you, he won a gleaming Super Bowl ring after having a fine season as the #1 WR on a run first offense, proceeded to land a big money free agency deal, and proved idiots wrong by having a stellar 99 catch/1300 yard season.

15. I can understand this.

Considering I wouldn’t know who Golden Tate was except for his cracked out mom calling him “golden” and because of a catch he didn’t make.

16. sonofsamadams says:
    Jan 1, 2015 4:58 PM
    ———————————–

What color is the sky in your universe?

17. Tate is afraid and he should be.

If you saw the Cowboys against the Redskins last week, you saw a Cowboys team that has each others back when players take cheap shots.

Keep your head on a swivel Golden.

18. billgramatica says:
    Jan 1, 2015 4:30 PM

………………uh yes, he just won a super bowl and is the Lions leading receiver over arguably one of the best wide receivers in the game….

I guess that td you’re referring to is just another one of his accomplishments and that’s why you know about him now

19. bleedingfacemask says: Jan 1, 2015 5:19 PM

To be perfectly honest, I also had not heard of Church until now, too.
    ====================================

Umm, then maybe you should actually follow the game. It’s called football. And it would be the Barry Church who ended Brandon Marshall’s season this year with two broken ribs and a bruised lung.

20. Reminds of the time that no name Steelers DB was mouthing off about Tom Brady than got licked for like 600yards and 5tds.

But alas… Stafford is no Tommy Brady.

21. 1) if a slot receiver jacks up a linebacker, the linebacker is a puss. Lee can’t stay on the field anyways, which is why he needs some 2nd string scrub to talk his smack for him.

2) Church is awful. Wouldn’t even make Detroit’s roster. Tate is a 90 catch 1000+ yard guy this year. I like Golden’s chances of lighting that Church up like it was 1955 Alabama.

22. I can only laugh at all these clueless fans, ALL NFL players do what the can get away with(dirty plays) ALL OF THEM@!!!

The list is long, some players twist feet/ankles in the pile with the player is tackled “Vontaze” some players poke, spit, jab, hit, trip etc….

These players aren’t angels….

23. Great Caesar’s Ghost says:
    Jan 1, 2015 5:16 PM

Golden Taint’s line last week: 3-45-0. Eye of the tiger. Hasn’t done anything since his pushoff PI play in 2012.
    ——————————————

This dope clearly DOESN’T watch enough football to know anyone. Bahahahaa

What’s it like to walk around ignorant??? The internet should really make you pass an IQ test before making a post.

24. It would be delicious to see that cheap shot artist Tate knocked into next week. Dirty play all the way on Lee, but what did you expect from a Searoidle cheater?

25. 12hawksfan1976 says: Jan 1, 2015 5:52 PM

Had to Google Church. Are we supposed to know him?
    ====================================

What, you didn’t watch the Boys stomp the seaducks? Oh, maybe because you didn’t see much of the Dallas defense as the Cowboys controlled the clock and hung 30 points on ’em. Or do you only know of McClain, who intercepted Wilson in the 4th Qtr to dash your hopes?

26. Tate is a good player. Barry church is not. Not a fan of Tate but I would love to see the lions beat the cowboys. Soooo overrated. I wish my team played the NFC east 6 times a year.

27. Cowboys only went 4-2 in the NFC east and 8-2 against everyone else including the nfc west and afc south champs. Dislike the Cowboys all u want but let’s not act like they barely made it into the playoffs..

28. number1hawkfan says

“Not a fan of Tate but I would love to see the lions beat the cowboys. Soooo overrated. I wish my team played the NFC east 6 times a year.”

Hey genius, does the 30-23 beat they put on you in your house week 6 ring a bell?

29. number1hawkfan says: Jan 1, 2015 6:10 PM

======================================

That “overrated” team sure did put a nice beatdown on them seaducks, huh? You want to be in the NFC East so you can count on a guaranteed 3-4 losses each year? Or are you just a glutton for punishment watching the Cowboys dismantle that defense? Oh, let me guess…”but, but, we had some injured players! No fair!”

30. You can take the player from the Seahawks, but you can’t take the Seahawk from the player.

Cowboys and Lions are talking as if the game is less important than their personal vendetta’s. I know the media has a bit to do with making story lines for the game.

The two teams that have won a combined 2 games playoff games since 96. If it were me being asked those questions, I would be very direct in letting the media, and my team, know where my head and heart are focused this weekend.

31. 1. Teams from the NFC West, which is historically the worst division in football, should never try to say anything as stupid as “I wish my team played in _______ division.”

2. Minnesota Vikings.

They don’t really go together, but Minnesota is never 1st.

32. “An old great football player told me once that you can’t hit what you can’t catch.”

I bet he wishes Percy Harvin had not caught him.

33. Clean catch in the end zone against Green bay. Really? What game were you watching. I’m not even a packer fan but I know that was the worst screwing without a kiss that I have ever seen in the NFL in 50 years. Tate is like all ex nd players, they think that they are entitled to more then anyone else because they came from nd. But that’s how they thought when they were in college so I guess old habits are hard to break.

34. bentedges says: Jan 1, 2015 6:09 PM

____

Saw the whole game. Don’t remember Church. Googled him. Totally unremarkable. An Earl Thomas he is not.

35. I hope Church keeps his cool this weekend. Green Bay dearly wants to expose him and the rest of the porous Dallas secondary a week from Sunday.

36. @muslimponder jokes on me? Sure, I guess having money and a solid season doesn’t make him a punk anymore. I guess the same goes for all the other punks in the league: Suh, Raiola, Sherman, etc.

37. Man, the cowboys fans are putting a lot if stock in a 30-23 “beat down” of the Seahawks 3 months ago. It took a miracle play where romo threw a bad pass to the sidelines that went through the hands of a hawks defender to pull out that “beat down”. Trust me “if” the cowboys get passed the lions and packers and go to Seattle in three weeks I’ll be pretty confident. If I were a cowboys fan I would be very worried about my chances to even make it to Seattle let alone win that game.

38. Amazing how many whiny little girls comment on PFT. Tate is a pro bowl caliber receiver. Church is a punk who’s basically saing he’s going to try to hurt Tate. Funny how so many of you who are “outraged” by Suh and Raiola essentially condone this scumbag saying he’s going to try to hurt someone
    You’re all going to be so mad when we win on Sunday and that fact will make my whole month. That and Michigan Sates epic victory today.

39. Try and catch one down the middle and you will get introduced to Mr. Church. Think about that as your focusing on the ball!

40. sonofsamadams says:
    Jan 1, 2015 4:58 PM

—————————————————-
    Yes, we all know Tate caught the defender who caught the ball.

41. sonofsamadams says: Jan 1, 2015 4:58 PM

Your recollection of that play failed spectacularly…

42. megatronownsyou says: Jan 1, 2015 7:00 PM

====================================

Do you have reading comprehension problems? He SAID all within the rules. Susie and raiola actually SHOWED the dirtbags they are – multiple times.

And the fact of the matter is you will be nowhere to be found come Monday after the Boys destroy that armpit of America, the detroit kitties. You will slink away as all trolls do.

43. A 7 point win is a beat down now? So when the boys lost by 11 to San Fran and AZ, or 23 to the Eagles, what is that called nowadays?

44. Fact check…. Golden Tate is a very good receiver and an immature dude, his hit on Lee was completely legal. Everyone who follows the NFL should know who Barry Church is, he is OK and may become decent for the Cowboys down the road…. and the Seahawks were minus many starters for the Dallas game and are now a much different team…both Detroit and Dallas are recently known for not showing up late in the season so this will be a big game for both franchises…all facts.

45. Hefty words from the Alvin Harper of this generation. Talented receiver but will never be a No. 1 guy. Church should’ve kept his mouth shut from the get go since it was all started to stir up pregame hype. He may not have heard of Barry Church but I’m sure by the end of the game he will know who JJ Wilcox is he’s a harder hitter than Church will ever be known for.

46. @tbone for the love of God will everybody stop saying Seattle was minus starters when they played Dallas. Excuses excuses excuses it ain’t even the truth just some BS Seattle fans started throwing around cause they can’t accept that that ” terrible” Dallas D kept their offense in check and that Tony Romo “who doesn’t have a clutch bone in his body” made clutch plays against THEIR “superior” D. I don’t even care anymore if Dallas wins the Super Bowl I just wanna see em take it to Seattle IN SEATTLE again so nobody can use that excuse anymore. You know who was in the game? Loud mouthed Sherman in case nobody saw him he was the one usually behind Dez Bryant struggling to keep up. He was also the one Murray dragged into the end zone.

47. The Cowboys will beat the Lions 38-21.
    The Cowboys will beat the Packers 38-18.
    The Cowboys will beat the Seahawks 38-7
    The Cowboys will win the Superbowl38-13
    The Cowboys are a team of destiny.
    Best owner in the NFL. Well, better than those clowns in D. C. and Philly.

48. ratsfoiledagain says:
    Jan 1, 2015 7:31 PM

It’s called Cowboys are in the playoffs and the eagles and san fran are at home watching the Cowboys on tv and the Cardinals will be next week!!!

49. Number1hawkfan funny you would refer to Romo’s throw to Williams as a miracle. Most people call it making clutch plays. Thats right Romo was clutch against Seattles D. It happened on national TV against your Seahawks its obvious nobody wants to give Romo credit for his clutch pass after escaping Seattles pass rush. It’s called clutch. Clutch. C-l-u-t-c-h

50. I know Brandon Browner spoke highly of Tate as a player before the Patriots played the Lions this year and I expect he know Tate’s game a little better than Church does.

51. Barry church will be a bench warmer next year, guarantee the Cowboys draft someone to upgrade that position, Cowboys are good because of the offense, let’s not pretend anyone is worried about the D.

52. This guy just cant let it go. Stop playing captain save a HO*. Lee is always injured and clearly cant battle injuries enough to be considered a tough guy. The play in question was borderline illegal to begin with. As a lb you dont chase down a qb without your head on a swivel. Crack back blocks happen all the time usually to nearly defenseless players like qbs punters kickers etc. I for one have ABSOLUTELY no sympathy for a LB (good one at that) not being ready for contact while pursuing the play.

If not for the head whiplash he would have never contact his helmet throughout the contact. I said this on another thread, Did this guy just start playing football recently? Just 5 years ago those hits were highlighted on every media outlet. They were praised, Tate did not target hit head he hit him square in his chest. I understand being bitter about Tates celebration but the hit? Cmon dude you sound like a sour female. You are supposed to be a “tough” guy and your playing superhero with these comments.

Dal 28-24 but this dude sounds sad!

53. kwk69 says:
    Jan 1, 2015 8:20 PM

ratsfoiledagain says:
    Jan 1, 2015 7:31 PM

———-
    I know. I watch football to.

54. cboys4life2014 – back to your bitter ways, after the seattle game eveyrone annointed that the cowboys were the best team in football. Immediatley followed by the realization that they are playing above thier talent level. Yes Dal was lucky to complete a miracle pass, was it clutch Yes, but sometimes luck plays into clutch buddy. Dont worry your dear little heart if seattle plays dal again it wont be close and you will certainly not win another game at the clink! I for one hope for this matchup bc i believe it will be one the of easiet matchups considering how well seattles defense has been playing particularly against the run. Seattle is the absolute worst matchup for Dal. They beat them soundly by 6 earlier in the year. But this current seahawks team is not what it was back them !

55. here’s to the seahawks fans saying that the fame against Dallas wasn’t a beat down. maybe u should watch the game again, if it wasn’t for special teams the game would’ve been a Dallas blow out and I do believe that Seahawks were not missing that many starters but lost a few in that game but u guys keep telling yourselves that if it makes u feel better

56. Church hits Tate…. flag flies…. Unnecessary roughness number 15 of the offense!!

57. What, you didn’t watch the Boys stomp the seaducks? Oh, maybe because you didn’t see much of the Dallas defense as the Cowboys controlled the clock and hung 30 points on ‘em. Or do you only know of McClain, who intercepted Wilson in the 4th Qtr to dash your hopes?

—————————————————————–

Are you smoking sherms? While I admit the best team lost fair and square, and Romo had never played better, and Murray was an absolute stud, especially in the 4th when it was needed… The Seahawks were in the lead up until the end of the game, how can it be a stomping? It was a great game and Dallas played great and won.. Then lost to the skins, and the eagles, and the cardinals… the best your gonna get is a complimentary “bye bye” in the wasteland known as Lam-beau.. Ice Bowl Revisited?

58. To the in-LOTSA-denial Seattle fans:
    Yes the Dallas win was a “beat down ” that had Dallas not given 17 points to Seattle with TOs inside their own red zone it would have been 30-6. Every analyst made comments about how thoroughly Seattle was dominated and did not move the ball against Dallas without those gimme points. So, truth is, Seattle would be very lucky to win a rematch against a team that dominated the trenches

59. Yes it was a beat down by Dallas. 17 points given to Seattle off turnovers including a 10 point lead
    Out scored 30-13 in 3 1/2 qtrs on their field
    That’s a beat down.

60. mungman69 says:
    Jan 1, 2015 8:13 PM

…The Cowboys will beat the Seahawks 38-7…

——————————

Seahawks defense give up 38 points? You realize it’s a single game not 7-game series, right?

61. I don’t know….or frankly care who wins this weekend.

Both these teams desperately need a playoff victory…(it’s been a while for both teams since they’ve won a playoff game), whoever “wins” gets to go to Green Bay….where neither team has a reasonable chance to win.

62. Funny…I didn’t realize making a play in a game in week 6 all of a sudden makes Tony Romo clutch.

Guess not winning a playoff game in a couple decades will do that to ya…

We’ll see the annual dumpster fire that is the Dallas Cowboys offseason following a dramatic collapse.

Otherwise, what would ESPN’s offseason NFL Coverage have to talk about?

63. @mungman69

….”The Cowboys will beat the Seahawks 38-7″

The last time ANY team scored 38 points on Seattle was Sunday, December 26….2010

Clearly you believe offense wins championships…..you might want to check with the Broncos

I’m really hoping the Cowboys make it to the NFC Championship game…………but frankly I doubt it.

64. @cboys-

Tate’s ALREADY BEEN a #1 receiver so it’s a bit late for never.

IF your boys can get out of Arlington with a win and raise that middling .500 home win pct. then escape Lambeau with a W we’ll be waiting. The only loss on the Cowboys schedule this year within a score was to Washington so I can understand your confusion as to what constitutes a “beat down”….LOL

65. No one said anything when Flozell Adams took that cheap shot to Justin Tuck, injuring his shoulder and was never the same player again, so I guess it’s karma for what happened to Lee.

66. Doesn’t anyone else see the irony in Dallas fans telling Tate to keep his head on a swivel for a hit on Lee where the exact same could be said?

67. cboys4life2014 says:
    Jan 1, 2015 8:03 PM
    ***********************************
    Kam played hurt and left the game in the second quarter. Deshawn Shead did not play. That left us down to Burley and Romo rightfully took advantage of that side of the field. Feel free to show me a link to any clip that Dez beat Sherman. Dez caught one good catch with zero YAC against Sherman.
    I’ll be the first to congratulate Dallas on a good win, but don’t try to make it out as a beat down. Romo avoided a sack on third and long and managed to get a great pass to a great receiver on a great play to extend that drive. Score was tied. If that catch isn’t made, Dallas punts and Seattle gets a FG to end the game.

68. ariani1985 says:
    Jan 1, 2015 5:40 PM

Tate owns the packer defense!
    ———————————————————-

And the Packers own the Lions!!

69. Excuses excuses all I’m hearing is a bunch of what ifs. Since we’re doing that I could make the case that if not for 3 turnovers it would’ve been worse than 30-23

70. Love Tate. Can’t be no worse than Dez Bryant yapping his mouth. Funny at a Dallas safety calling out an offensive WR which will now make them more hungry.. Keep it coming Dallas, hilarious!!!!

71. All I’m getting out of all this back and forth between Cowboys and Seahawks fans is how awful Cowboys fans are at math.

Tate’s a solid receiver. He carried the load when CJ was out in Detroit and was #1 on Seattle’s admittedly run heavy offense. What Church wants to do and says he’ll do he may or may not be able to do. We’ll see on Sunday. Should be fun either way.