Panthers biggest underdogs of divisional round

Getty Images

As would be expected, the 8-8-1 Panthers are underdogs at top-seeded Seattle next Saturday.

And as it turns out, they are the biggest underdogs in the divisional round.

Several Nevada sports books list the Seahawks as 11- or 11.5-point favorites over the Panthers, according to Pregame.com, which tracks lines in the state.

According to the Spreadapedia database, postseason underdogs of 10 points or more are 12-44 since 1978. The last postseason double-digit underdogs to win were the 2010 Seahawks, who upset defending-champion New Orleans (+10) in Round One.

In the other NFC divisional round matchup, the Packers are 6- or 6.5-point favorites over the Cowboys next Sunday at Lambeau Field, per Pregame.com.

The Cowboys have lost five playoff games in a row as underdogs. Per Spreadapedia records, their last postseason win when not favored by oddsmakers came in the defeat of San Francisco (-4) in the 1992 NFC title game at Candlestick Park.

72 responses to “Panthers biggest underdogs of divisional round

1. Put your love on the Panthers. If they lose, it won’t be by much. They’re scrappy.
    Seattle won’t score on Carolina easily. Gut says Special Teams will be decide this game. Panthers cover like Ummmbrella

2. I’ll take Seahawks to win and Panthers to cover. 11 is a huge spread in a game that probably won’t have more than 30 points total.

3. I’d be very surprised if the Seahawks didn’t win this game by 21+ points.

The Lions would have given them a much better game. Too bad the refs screwed them over.

4. I’m a diehard Seahawks fan but they’d better make sure they don’t look past this team. Carolina always plays them tough. The past two seasons, Seattle has gone to Carolina and beat them 12-7 and 13-9. I know it’s at home and Seattle is playing lights out, but Seattle’s O line better pick it up this week.

5. Seattle has beat the Panthers 2 years in a row in Carolina. I expect them to win again. It’s in Seattle in prime time. If you haven’t researched the outcomes of those types of games you might think 11 is a pretty big spread. Trust me it’s not. As for the cowboys and packers. I ‘m torn on that game. I hate the cowboys and hope they get blown out. I would much rather face them though in the NFC champ game. They are the most overrated team in football, the most annoying as well. Go ahead and talk cowboys fans, yes you beat seattle in week six. Trust me, nobody in seattle is scared of you.

6. The Cowboys have lost five playoff games in a row as underdogs.
    =======================================

The Cowboys are undefeated on the road this season. That’s a little more relevant than games in years past with no or almost no players on the roster or coaches who were involved in those losses.

7. abninf says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:06 PM
    The Cowboys have lost five playoff games in a row as underdogs.
    =======================================

—–

The Packers are undefeated at home this year, winning by a crazy margin.

That should be the most relevant thing.

8. abninf says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:06 PM
    The Cowboys have lost five playoff games in a row as underdogs.
    =======================================

__________________________________

Oh, by the way, Aaron Rodgers has ZERO interceptions at home on the year – so good luck trying to win with turnovers, Cowboys. We know that you guys can be thrown on and, thanks to today, we know you can get run on too.

9. Pack Cowboys will be a good game. I think they’re the only ones in the NFC with a chance of beating the Pack at home in the playoffs and I hope they do.

Go Cowboys

10. prs250player says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:03 PM
    ————-

-12 year season ticket holder.

11. pacificnw7722 says: Jan 4, 2015 9:01 PM

LOB will shut down Scam Newton…..mark it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOB Legion Of Boobs?

12. Jan 4, 2015 9:42 PM
    prs250player says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:03 PM
    ————-

-12 year season ticket holder.
    —————————
    Being a season ticket holder does not make you a better fan.

-15 year season ticket holder.

13. Seattle has played IN Carolina the last 3 years, and won by 4,5,4 points. This year it was without their starting first team all pro MLB, first team all pro center. They have those guys back now, and are at home, 11 points is not some outrageous number.

P.S. Seattle has allowed 6 points a game the last 6 games, including road games.

14. chawkup says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:54 PM
    Jan 4, 2015 9:42 PM
    prs250player says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:03 PM
    ————-

-12 year season ticket holder.
    —————————
    Being a season ticket holder does not make you a better fan.

-15 year season ticket holder.
    ————-
    It does when you are a better fan.

15. I’ve already called out about a dozen phony Seahawk fans the past few months. I hit them with the infamous question, Name your starting offensive line and not one of them can do it. I mean these people don’t even know who Okung is. That’s pathetic. I’m not saying all Seattle fans are bandwagoners, but most of you are. I bet their fans for 2 reasons. # 1 They won the most recent SB and # 2 they love the pretty green color in the uniforms. Just STOP IT already. Please people don’t be fake phonies……

16. tinbender2000 says: Jan 4, 2015 9:46 PM

pacificnw7722 says: Jan 4, 2015 9:01 PM

LOB will shut down Scam Newton…..mark it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOB Legion Of Boobs?
    ——————————————————————————

That would be the Sea Gals!!

17. After watching the pitiful games this weekend, nobody is stopping the Seahawks, back to back, book it… and this is coming from a Niner fan.

As our whiny ex-coach used to say “NOBODY”!!!

18. Easy parlay coming up on my visit to Vegas next weekend.. Seahags laying the points to Carolina, and Indy straight-up to send Peyton into retirement. Easy money.

19. Those close games the last 3 years in Carolina mean nothing. They were played at 10AM West Coast time and 10AM games are almost as meaningless for west coast teams as preseason games. The Seahawks will romp easily.

20. beastmode5150 says:
    Jan 4, 2015 10:01 PM
    chawkup says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:54 PM
    Jan 4, 2015 9:42 PM
    prs250player says:
    Jan 4, 2015 9:03 PM
    ————-

-12 year season ticket holder.
    —————————
    Being a season ticket holder does not make you a better fan.

-15 year season ticket holder.
    ————-
    It does when you are a better fan.
    ———–
    I don’t doubt your allegiance Beastmode, but your post comes across to me as self-aggrandizing. There are hundreds of thousands of GREAT fans that cannot afford season tickets.

21. You aren’t diehard if you think THIS team looks past anyone, you are just another bandwagon jumper.

-12 year season ticket holder.
    ______________________
    I have been a loyal Seahawks fan since day one! I went to my first game in the Kingdome when I was 8 years old in 1978. Dave Kreig was one of my all time favorite players. I was with them every game during the Ken Behring years. I can name players from every era of this team and have rarely missed watching a game in their 39 seasons. I became a fan when I was 6 and have never rooted for another team. I am no bandwagon fan!

But this is the NFL! Any team can win on any given Sunday. ANY team can lose sight of what needs to be done when facing an opponent that looks to be an easy win. It happened earlier this year against a Chargers team that should not have beaten them. They did it again in St. Louis–getting tricked on two gimmicky special teams plays that ultimately cost them the game. I don’t assume it will happen again and I feel confident that my beloved Seahawks will come out with a win and have the talent and drive to follow that up with two more wins for another Lombardi trophy. But excuse me if I’m not the type of blow-hard fan who comes on here making bold predictions just to irritate opposing fans. I’d rather not come off like an arrogant jackwad.

22. prs250player says:
    Jan 4, 2015 10:29 PM

-12 year season ticket holder.
    ______________________

——————-
    Good to hear you aren’t a bandwagon jumper then. Your comments are obvious to everyone that isn’t was my point. If you think THIS Seahawks team that you say you know all about is overlooking anyone, you are sadly mistaken and must not have been paying attention. Regurgitating “any given sunday” “dont overlook this team” is something you usually hear from people that don’t actually pay attention to this team. Hey, i apologize for assuming you just bought your first “12” jersey the past 18 months, i take it back. Go Hawks.

23. I am a die hard Hawk’s fan, but we won’t win by 11. All the Hawks/Panthers games have been close.

24. I think there is an extreme lack of respect and understanding of the Panthers. They are in the same round they made it to last year. We have to consider the fact that the team went through tremendous turnover between retirements, cuts, injuries, and suspensions. They are starting nearly 1/3 rookies, and that took time to gel. They are playing well and were fortunate the division was weak. However, to overlook them would be a grave mistake. I doubt the Seahawks will.

Seattle will likely win, but it will be a hard fought game and reasonably close, in my opinion.

Sometimes there is more to a team than the record…and I think this is one of those scenarios.

25. True the last three years games have been close. All three were in Carolina during the regular season during the day though. Cam’s first time playing in Century Link…. he has no frickin clue the crap storm he’s walking into!

That stadium is tough enough to win in during the regular season non-primetime. Saturday night, prime-time, players had a week to rest, fans are antsy for a game…That crowd noise coupled with the constant pass rush is gonna swallow Cam up!

This one aint even gonna be close my friends!

26. if turnovers occur, then i would agree, but i think it will be a close one that Seahawks win…..likely 27 to 17.

27. Russell Okung
    James Carpenter
    Max Unger
    JR Sweezy
    Justin Britt

All Young and Seahawk draft picks. I doubt if they’ve all played together in even half of the games this season. A few weeks ago when Unger actually played back to back games, the Hawks rushed for 250 yds one week and 350 the next. Panthers better look out because they should all be playing this week.

PS. There are not as many bandwagon Seahawk fans as you think there are. There might be a few new ones, there always are when a team first starts winning big, but they’re Seahawk fans for life now.

How many Steeler fans jumped on board in the 1970s after 40 years of frustration, or 49er fans in the 80s or Patriots in the early 2000s?

28. I am not confident in an 11 point spread, but I do believe the Hawks will win this contest. I do not see the Panthers being able to move the ball consistently on the ground, nor do I see Cam being able to move it consistently thru the air. That leave Hawks mistakes, which have been few this entire season. Hawks practice against RW and the read-option week in, week out. They see Kaepernick on a regular basis – they know how to handle it.

That said, games between these teams have been close for years. Most have been home games for Carolina, however. Carolina looked ok at home, against a toothless AZ offense that couldn’t run or pass or keep the ball – they wore out their D. They won’t be so fortunate in Seattle, which can both run and pass. The defense will be even tougher. If the Hawks avoid giving points via turnovers I see them winning comfortably. If Carolina gives the Hawks turnovers it will be a runaway. Carolina better be ready for the noise assault they will experience the minute they enter the stadium.

29. Hey saints fan calling out Seahawks fans calling us bandwagon and asking whats our starting Oline. Why don’t you put your saints paper bag back on your head that comes with every saints season ticket. By the way, it’s okung, carpenter, unger, sweezey and Britt. Unger and okung have been out so were backed up by bailey and Juan-Pierre until Pierre got hurt than 3rd string center was schilling. Good luck watching the Seahawks in the playoffs thru those little eye holes you had to cut out.

30. Really Seattle? Way to represent by arguing that your a better fan, half of you are posers with hardly any knowledge on football….. watch as soon as the Mariners start making the postseason you’ll be on that bandwagon n I’ll have to start overpaying for those tickets as well. On the other hand panther fans expecting to play us like they did the Cardinals good luck with all that…… Seahawks haven’t had a full bye week since the first month of the season. Your in trouble with us fully rested before a prime time game in Seattle. Go Hawks!

31. Cardinals QB Lindley’s first day on the 52 man roster: November 11, 2014. Prior to that, he was doing lunches with the wife.

Step outside of your bubble in Charlotte, Panther fans. There is a reason you failed to win as many games as you lost during the regular season.

Easiest money of the year. Take the Hawks and give the 11.

32. I would love to say won’t be close but…. My Hawks have scared me a few times this season… They are playing quite well so let’s hope they get the W… Fan since 77′ great time to be a hawk fan after enduring years of hard ache!!!! GO HAWKS!!!!

33. Are all you Seahawks fans thumping your chests just ignorant about football or being delusional? Yeah, the Hawks defense is playing great…but the offense, really? Cam need only ring up 16-20 points on your D to outscore your offense. I DOUBT that will happen…but if does, you’re gonna be one and done.

34. Cam Newton has some talent, no doubt about it, and the Carolina D is playing pretty well. But he lacks consistency/concentration. He can look like an AllPro on one pass, and a rookie on the next.

I don’t see an 11 point difference, but that’s just over a TD and a field goal, so I suppose it’s possible.

More to the point, if Cam throws some of those ducks he was throwing against the Cards, the LOB will have a field day.

There is very little margin for error for the visiting team when playing in the CLink.

Go Hawks! Just win this Saturday.

35. Gotta disagree with the Hawk fans calling for a blowout. The Panthers have a great front 7 and a decent enough secondary to make this a game. When everything is clicking just right for the Hawks on every front I can see them winning by 20+, but it’s rare for the O-Line to put together 4 good quarters.

It’ll be some sandlot stuff from Wilson to keep it alive and put up the win. It isn’t going to be easy with Kuechly either stalking him, or covering Lynch or Willson in the flats. The Panthers only scores will come off a field goal or three and maybe one lucky shot going 50+ for a TD. So I’ll say Panthers 13 (being generous, probably 6), Seahawks 17 with Wilson willing some magic to happen in a late 4th quarter drive.

36. Cam has played @LSU. That’s 35,000 more rowdy fans than the Link holds. Seattle’s defense is going to be a much bigger challenge than a large and loud crowd.

37. The Seahawks need to look no further than their defeat of New Orkeans several years ago to get some idea of “on any given day.”

38. The same 3rd string QB led Arizona team that Carolina held to a historical low racked up over 200yds on the great LOB and over 300yds on SF

39. 4 things Seattle has that Arizona doesn’t…A QB….A running game….the # 1 defense…homefield advantage….
    Seattle has covered the spread the last 5 games I know of…Seattle has won all but two games at home since 2012…they have never lost a playoff game at the Clink…

40. Seattle Offense- 9th in the NFL in yards per game
    Seattle Offense- 10th in the NFL in Points per game

Seattle Defense- 1st in NFL in yards allowed per game, and 2nd place allows 40 more yards per game
    Seattle Defense- 1st in NFL in points allowed per game and 2nd place allows almost 2 full points per game more.

41. Can’t wait to see Newton going ‘over the top’ celebrating a first down with his team trailing by more than 14 points!!!!
    The Hawks “D” has his number and he knows it after three games with sub-par performances (in Charlotte). Good luck at the Clink on Saturday night!
    Go Hawks!

42. “Can’t wait to see Newton going ‘over the top’ celebrating a first down with his team trailing by more than 14 points!!!!
    The Hawks “D” has his number and he knows it after three games with sub-par performances (in Charlotte). ”

—-

Yeah cause Wilson has really been lighting it up against Carolina’s defense, leading the Seahawks to blowout 16-12, 12-7 and 13-9 wins.

43. Wilson has averaged 72% completion Percentage, 249 yards passing and a 100 QBR vs the Panthers, all on the road the last 3 years. Also 30 yards rushing per game.

44. doctorpancake says:
    Jan 5, 2015 2:00 PM

—-

=================================

All on the road.

Also, Cam Newton averages 145 yards passing per game on Seattle in his career, with all those games happening in his own stadium. So he’s somehow going to improve coming to Seattle for the first time, in January? OK.

45. bonecrushinghits says: Jan 5, 2015 2:06 AM

======================================

Sonny, if our D plays to their ability and expectations, all Seattle needs to win is a safety, field goal or a TD – that’s it!

46. Who cares about the last 3 games, which were NOT playoff games.

The only game that matters is THIS one!

May the best team win!

Go HAWKS!!

47. Panthers wanted to play Seattle. More than GBay. Unlike most of the NFL, they have no fear of the Seahawks, and with good reason. Even the loudest, most intimidating stadium can become very, very quiet when things don’t go their way. That being said, the likely absence of Star Lotuleli on the D-line will hurt, but we have the LBs to make up for that. I’m not delusional – I know that the Seabirds are a dominating team when they get rolling, every NFL fan knows that. BUT, nobody can dominate the Carolina defense anymore. Combine the factors: an insulting vegas line, a chip on our shoulder coming from the NFC South, 5 straight wins = momentum, a chance to show the country that we’re for real, again, and a team that KNOWS it can match up with the best, down after down. Where better than the Clink to do it? A matchup of a ravenous, motivated, dangerous team vs an understandably over-confident & sometimes inconsistent team – all the pressure is on the Birds. We’re loose and looking forward to the show. Seattle is about to face the scariest team in the playoffs. We may pull the upset, we may lose. But there will be no blowout, and no easy win. Thump your chest & throw out your stats- You’ve earned that. But consider yourselves warned – this Panthers team is coming to your house Saturday with a serious wake-up call for the champs.