Zimmer wants Peterson back, but it’s a “two-way street”

Getty Images

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson said in November that after a year spent watching following charges of abusing his young son, he might need a “fresh start.”

It sounds as if the Vikings might at least consider allowing that to happen.

Appearing on today’s Pro Football Talk Live with our own Mike Florio, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer alluded to that possibility.

“I would respect Adrian’s decision,” Zimmer said. “I’ll always be honest with him and up front but I’m gonna try to explain to him the reasons why I would like to him to be here.

“But it has to be a two way street and he has to get his life taken care of — but we’ll sit down and talk, but I’m a pretty good recruiter, too.”

It’s normal for a coach on a team that made strides last season to want a player of Peterson’s caliber. But the fact that Zimmer suggested that letting him leave is an option also shows how difficult it is to make such decisions in a football vacuum.

89 responses to “Zimmer wants Peterson back, but it’s a “two-way street”

1. They’re going to have to sell Peterson on staying because they won’t keep him at his current salary. If he doesn’t want to stay, he just has to refuse to renegotiate his contract and he’ll be cut. He has to be aware that no other team will pay him as much as the Vikings will, though.

2. Of the many things I like about Zimmer, I really like that he speaks frankly. As to AP, the child abuse baggage is going to follow him wherever he goes. Maybe he wants to leave, but the start ain’t gonna be any fresher elsewhere on that issue.

3. Can you feel it Vikings fans?

All the pieces are falling into place.

After we sign Adrian Peterson back, and fix our offensive line during free agency, then Draft Davante Parker in the NFL Draft – we won’t have one hole in our team.

Our Defense will improve even more this next year than it already has.

And we have a stable coaching staff.

And not to mention our Franchise QB Teddy Bridgewater who was ranked the #2 QB in the NFL the last 5 games of the season by Pro Football Focus.

There’s really nothing stopping us from a Super Bowl run next year.

And it’s your time to acknowledge it.

Acknowledge Greatness.

Acknowledge Your Historic Minnesota Vikings.

4. What’s Zimmer supposed to say or do? Hold him hostage..? Under these circumstances? Zimmer doesn’t mince words. He says what he means… and that is: He wants AP on the Vikings.

5. Jerick McKinnon looks legit, Asiasta can take goal line carries, and if they’re planning on “recruiting” aka drafting another back, i think they will be fine without AP. Bridgewater can run too so no RB will be overworked. Wonder where AP would end up. I find San Diego an intriguing spot for him. They’re one step away from contending (partly because the Broncos are at their peak) and AP could be that guy that puts them over the top. Rivers/Peterson would be lethal. Either way, I wish AP the best in whatever he decides to do!

6. “The reasons we want you back, Peterson, are #1, the fact that you’re a good running back, as well as…….. uh … being a REALLY good running back, and there is also the fact that… uh…well, you catch the ball out of the backfield, and…uh…. did I mention that you were a very good runner?…….”.

7. Zim: Dude, we were 7-9 we Rookies, Backups and Practice Squad Players. Just think what we can do with another year of experience and you!

AP: Umm, i still feel pretty weird about the whole you know, kid thing.

Zim: Thats cool, I got DeMarco’s number.

8. Peterson whipped his 4 year old child. Fans and media love him and want him back in the league.

Ray Rice knocked out his 20+ year old wife. Fans hate him and want him banned forever.

What’s the differnece? Peterson is good. Fans often question Goodell on his integrity yet have no problem displaying their own lack of integrity. Sick, sick world.

9. Vikings need to keep him, after all the morality police find a new cause and forget about him he’ll still be a top back in the league. If he wants to leave all he has to do is refuse to renegotiate though so he might still be gone. I just hope they don’t cut him or trade for junk like the Moss trade.

10. Vikes will save the cash and cut him, he has a bad contract and won’t get much if cut…but could you envision this guy ever getting cut?

Jags could use him! Then we’ll have both former Vike rb’s!

11. Setting up the re-negotiation of Peterson’s contract. Peterson has a huge contract number next year, and if he says he wants to come back to the Vikings, they either have to pay him, or cut him, or ask him to re-negotiate. If he’s not willing to renegotiate, he’ll be cut or traded. (Trade not likely, as teams will wait for him to be cut.) I can’t think of any team other than the Vikes that will want him unless it’s a bargain basement deal. Maybe Houston or Dallas. Which gives the Vikes a decent chance at re-negotiating his deal.

12. With Adrian Peterson, the Vikings were in last place.

Without Adrian Peterson, they were in third place.

If he comes back, they’ll be in last place again.

I sure do hope he comes back.

13. Vikes will remain bottom feeders for another year, little question about that. They will battle it out for the 1st pick of the 2016 draft with Washington, Oakland, Jets, Jags and Bucs.

14. Cowboys at bargain price, Demarco signs somewhere else, and learns just how good that offensive line is right now in Dallas.

15. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:06 PM

I’m guessing Adrian would love to play with Teddy Bridgewater but gets a little nervous when he looks at that offensive line.

———-

Just so I’m clear, this the same offensive line that you were all crowing about how awesome they were the year prior and how they should be all that much better this year because of that time spent gelling together as a unit? Right?

16. thepftpoet says: Jan 7, 2015 1:57 PM

“…There’s really nothing stopping us from a Super Bowl run next year….”

*********************************************

Except, you know, actually winning enough games.

One thing I’ll give these guys though – they talk a mean off-season (for them) game…

17. bastageman says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:03 PM

“I just hope they don’t cut him or trade for junk like the Moss trade.”

************

The 7th overall pick was junk? They picked the wrong player with it, but a 7th overall pick is pretty good. They’d be lucky to get a 7th ROUND pick for him now – considering they have to cut him because of the contract. No 30 year old running back is worth 15 million dollars in today’s game.

18. RomoIsGod says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:01 PM

Maybe a few trolls in here but general consensus is Peterson is trash. Being a father myself what he did was despicable. To whip your own flesh and blood to a point of being bloody with leaves stuffed in mouth to quiet him down is misinformed cowards way of being a father.

Many fans have children and can never look them in the eye and say they condone what Peterson did. He will forever carry that albatross around his neck.

19. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:16 PM

——————–

The line that lost 60% of its starters due to injury. Yes, that one.

20. I think the right way to approach this, salary considered, is let him test the trade/free agency value he has starting immediately. That will establish his true value, and let the Vikings re negotiate based on his value established by the market.

21. You ever work with someone for a while that you get along great with, establish a great working friendship with then that person gets a more visible position and all of a sudden they become a bureaucrat?

This is all about the money. The Vikes don’t want to pay him and they are using the incident as leverage…And interesting enough we don’t see NFL sponsored PSAs about mistreating children like we see the ones for domestic abuse.

22. locutus says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:45 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:16 PM

——————–

The line that lost 60% of its starters due to injury. Yes, that one.

——————–

Ah, they were terrible before Fusco, Johnson, and Loadholt got hurt. And, if you’re pinning your hopes on guys like that, you’re in trouble.

23. Remember that when Peterson was briefly reinstated, it was Vikings’ fans and sponsors that expressed such outrage that Goodell had to ban him with pay on the exempt list. Peterson needs a fresh start somewhere that doesn’t have such a hypocritical fan base. IIRC, the middle east terrorist group ISIS is known to recruit from the MN area…

24. Peterson is not going to a lower level team. He wants a ring and his time is getting short. He will take less money for a realistic shot at the Superbowl.

25. Hahaha. Good for a laugh at least. After reading the comments, I forgot what the post was about. Now I’m reeling from Poets report that Bridgewater was THE #2 QUARTERBACK IN THE ENTIRE NFL AT THE END OF THE SEASON!!!!!

26. Cowboys or Pats will get him, maybe Ravens — the fix is already in. When the favored sons figured they could get him for cheap they dialed up Goodell and made it happen. Suspend full year, knock him down, then offer him a carrot in 2015. Vikings are persona-non-grata with the NFL leadership.

27. RomoIsGod says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:01 PM

——————————————
    Allow me to answer your question. To me there is no difference at all between Ray Rice and AP. Goodell suggesting there’s a difference is disgusting to me. He stated there’s a difference between beating a defenseless child versus beating an adult female. Really? How about when Ray Rice continued beating that defenseless adult by dragging her out of the elevator and kicking her while she was unconscious? Was she still able to defend herself then? Enough said!

28. Owed nearly 45 million over the next 3 years, Its probably an easy street to go down…. Not bad for an RB that will be 30 shortly.

Unless what Zimmer is tryng to say the Vikings are trying to redo his contract than yes, I guess Peterson would have to WANT to return…. for less money.

29. Vikings finished 14th in rushing without AP this year, even with 3 backups starting most games on OL. Outside of Johnson at LG (who will be upgraded and won’t be back), this is the same OL that paved the way for his 2,000 yard season. The only difference is he would have a legitimate NFL QB giving him the ball and keeping defenses honest. There may be some Vikings fans that don’t want him back, but the majority still do. He easily has 3 good years left and with him, Bridgewater, and Zimmer’s defense the Vikings should content for the playoffs even with a tough schedule.

His best option is to stay with MN, take a pay cut and prove he is still the back we all know he is. Why not finish your career with one team AP!!

30. dickshotdogs says:

New England, and it’s an absolute lock.

___________________________

Uh, no. I’m a life long NE fan, but I’m a parent and grandparent first. Can’t speak for others, but I don’t want this trash on my team.

31. I can’t wait till he is cut or hopefully traded! We don’t want him back on the Vikings regardless of the price. Dude is a brutal child abuser and nothing will ever change that fact.

32. Looking at this from Peterson’s viewpoint, he wants to go somewhere other than the Vikings. In their 54 year history, they never won a Superbowl and the only time they got close during Peterson’s tenure, he had a lot to do with their loss to the Saints with 3 fumbles.

I think both Houston and Dallas are out too, he has a criminal record in that state and he wants to avoid being arrested again.

My guess is Oakland, they are a lot like the Vikings in that they draft and keep criminals on their rosters so Peterson will fit right in.

33. AP has unfinished buisiness with the Vikings. If he wants to leave then that is up to him. The team he ends up with though depends on if the team is capable of reaching the post season.

34. This historic Viking team will win it all some time. Next Year.

AP is the piece that was missing. 2500 rushing yards Next Year.

TB will throw for 7000 yards Next Year.

They will rename the Lombardi trophy the Zimmy trophy after Next Year.

Do not live in denial. Next year is going to be great.

Book it now for the superbowl Next year.

Next Year never gets here. Only the clowns show up year after year.

The NO Superbowl win Viking dynasty will continue once again Next Year.

Book It.

Th

35. themeccalambeaufield says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:37 PM
    RomoIsGod says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:01 PM

—————————————————————
    Agreed, as a vikings fan and a father, i don’t want to cheer for AP again. That said, I don’t see how you can say Rice got it worse. AP just served a 15 game suspension ( I know, he got paid for a lot of it, but still…) whereas Rice was reinstated around Thanksgiving.

I think we still have to remember some forgiveness and consideration of intent here. While doing so in what I would deem an appalling and horrific manner, AP was trying to do something he thought to be positive by disciplining his child. Does anyone really think Ray Rice was trying to make his wife a better person in that elevator? Both acts are terrible, but I have to say that AP’s was a more an act of ignorance than violence. Both actions and outcomes are sad and scary, but they come from very different places. There are real child abusers out there. This isn’t that.

Now, all that said,I hope the Vikings cut him. If we can fleece someone on a trade,great, but I don’t want him on our team anymore. I think he’s a liability from a PR, financial, and football standpoint. His style is the type that HAS to be featured. I prefer having more dynamic backs in the passing game. Bell, McCoy, Charles, Forte, Murray, etc all have better/more fluid receiving skills. Having AP makes us too one dimensional.

It’s sad, because he is fun to watch, and his son(s) obviously went through some pretty awful stuff. Hopefully, he can end the cycle of violence, move on with another team or career, and have a positive influence moving forward. Rick Spielman, if you’re reading this: Cut AP and spend on OLine. They can make Asiata and McKinnon look better than they are.

If they do bring him back, I will cheer for the Vikings but hope for him to fail. Period. I will not cheer for him. I will cheer for Teddy and our D and Coach Zim, but not AP. If he breaks a 99.9 yard TD run with 3 seconds left to win against the Pack in the NFCCG, I will not cheer for him. I already threw out my son’s #28 jersey (right after I saw the pictures). He’s dead to me as a sports fan. I doubt I’m alone in that feeling.

36. 3-7-1 all time vs GB. Not a game changer. Sure, he gets his yards. But the Packers get the wins. He’s a good 1st and 2nd down runner. He can’t block. Can’t catch. Disappears from the field on 3rd down. And for this the Vikings pay $15M?? It appears you can add “thief” to his resume.

37. Long story short, Minn.- we want you back AP, but not at 13 million, and we don’t want you to go anywhere else. Sp play here for a lot less.

AP- well if thats the case then let me see how much else i can get with a fresh start somewhere else.

38. It’s been a really messed up franchise,
    53 years of torture, 53 years of bitter.
    And now their one star might be bailing out.
    He was a Texas terror but also an abusive switcher.
    La la la whatever
    La la la it doesn’t matter.
    La la la oh well,
    La la la.

39. The NFL has the Vikings over the barrel with the suspension of Peterson in tact until April 15.

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if Peterson stays or goes. But the Vikings really can’t afford to wait until April 15 (to find out what the NFL will do) to make up their minds on this. With Jerrick McKinnon coming off of back surgery, I expect the Vikings to add some insurance someplace, either via free agency or the draft.

If Peterson insists on keeping his salary he’s slated to earn in 2015, my guess is the Vikings will cut him loose. If that happens, I expect them to draft a RB early, or go hard after a big name in free agency.

40. There’s about a 40% chance that Peterson remains in Minnesota next year. Having paid him something around $15m last year for not playing, the Vikings are well within their rights to renegotiate his contract for the remaining years. They don’t have much dead money ($2m) if they release him, so that is a possibility too.

Beyond that, given Bridgewater’s emergence as QBOTF, the offense will no longer be centered around Peterson, and his contract should reflect that. If they released him, the Vikings would have an extra $13m in salary cap to play with in free agency. They could pick up Byron Maxwell from Seattle, and another good free-agent as well, which would probably do more on the margin to lift the Vikings winning percentage next year than keeping AP.

41. themeccalambeaufield says: Jan 7, 2015 2:37 PM

RomoIsGod says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:01 PM

bridgeh2o says:

Coming from packer fans, you opinion means abouts as much as…..well…….NOTHING!!!!!

Packer fans KNOW he is your nightmare. He destroys the pukes.

I understand your concern to keep him from embarassing your “defense”.

There endeth the lesson……..

42. Minnesota nice vs. Texas, where they fry people like chickens???
    Dallas fans have no problem with this type of discipline.
    …Sorry guys, he’s headed to Jerra’s World!!!

43. locutus says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:45 PM
    Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:16 PM

——————–

The line that lost 60% of its starters due to injury. Yes, that one.

—————

I thought vikings fans were always point to all the injuries the Packers have suffered the last number of years and said they are always hurt. Yes they were but they still won more ball games than they didn’t made the playoffs and won a Super Bowl.

What the heck is wrong over there? Can’t they coach up those crappy backups or are their crappy backups even worse than anyone can imagine? Do they just walk them over from Gopher U?

44. Honestly, I don’t think AP has much leverage.
    He may think a “fresh start” is enticing, but where is he going to go to get that?
    People in other cities are not going to be any more accepting of him than where he is. (Although Minnesota seems to be a hot-bed of liberal sanctimonious, self-righteous types… so maybe it WOULD be better elsewhere)

In any event, he is a RB on the downside of age (30) and has a HUGE salary coming and needs to renegotiate.

What people need to remember is that neither HE nor the Vikings have any leverage here. And it would be just plain STUPID to “trade” him for some 3rd or 4th rounder who won’t even make the team.

Keep him, make him play, give him a one year contract extension and if he plays well, his stock will increase and he and the Vikings will have more options the following year.

45. bridgeh2o says:

Packer fans KNOW he is your nightmare. He destroys the pukes.

I understand your concern to keep him from embarassing your “defense”.

There endeth the lesson……..

_____________________

He is hard to tackle, but trust me him, he is far from a nightmare, the closest thing to nightmare was when Favre was in Purple and beating the Packers. Half the Wins the Vikings have vs. Gb since drafting AP were when they had a QB that knew what he was doing. AP without great QB play, means the Vikings might be .500 team.

It isn’t as nearly intimidating as you think not like it matters your going to be dancing around your living pounding your chest Sunday thinking about how great the Vikings are while you watch the Cowboys play at GB.

46. Bridgewater set 91 franchise records and they went 7-9 using Junior Varsity supporting cast.
    With Peterson there, they would be easily 11-5 and make the playoffs!

47. Carl, Just to be clear. You are spending your playoff week on Viking threads getting ready for your big game. You couldn’t get out of bed without the Vikings holding you up.

48. Really sad when your hope for next year rides on a serial child beater. Anybody that still supports this pile of crap is just as low a human being as he is.

49. I’m tired of people trying to serve as the conscience of a community. Get him back on the field. Stop looking up to people who play a game. He’s a football playing asset. Nothing more, nothing less.

50. AP will be back in purple with a chip on his shoulder. Children and trolls can trash talk all they like when the Vikes beat your team , you can go crawl back under your rock. Savvy?

51. So the message from the Vikings and NFL – not subtle in anyway – is that Adrian Peterson needs to get his life in order, first. I have read that repeatedly, heard it repeatedly.

I have seen no news organization investigate or report on what is still in disarray in Adrian Peterson’s life. Basically, this disarray – the single most important impediment to his return to the NFL and Vikings – continues to go unexplained or unexamined by the media.

Given that (1) Peterson’s not-so-secret love child was apparently killed by another man, (2) Peterson was accused of beating one of his children in which it was reported that Peterson has a “whooping room”, it would lead me to believe that his personal life does need some adjustment. And maybe, since Adrian Peterson is a public persona who claims he is being treated unfairly, completely ripe for examination.

But instead we get – and I suspect we will continue to get – crickets from the media.

52. lnfinite says:
    Jan 7, 2015 4:27 PM

Then shouldn’t you be under your rock????? Packers beat you twice. Go lay down.

53. fluffy19 says:
    Jan 7, 2015 3:36 PM

themeccalambeaufield says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:37 PM
    RomoIsGod says:
    Jan 7, 2015 2:01 PM

—————————————————————

————————————————————-

Fluffy…. I’m sorry, but there’s no amount of help for an Oline to make asiata look better.

Having Ap doesn’t make a team to “one dimensional”… You pair up Ap, with a good Qb, and your not “one dimensional”… Your multi-dimensional! You haven’t watched enough football in your life to understand a “box count”… 8 in the box to stop Ap, and you throw… 6 in the box to stop the throw, and play the wide outs, and you let Ap run wild…

I really hope you have never once sinned in your life or done someone wrong. Because let me give you a piece of advice… Your not judge, jury and executioner… NONE OF US ARE!

54. I love all the NE fans/Kraft heads stating that Peterson is a lock for NE. Can you say delusional!!!!

Nevermind, thatKraft/Belliboy are notorious in the NFL for being cheap or not over spending, which Peterson is going to be looking.

55. If the courts don’t overturn the NFL’s game of spite, the Vikings will have to cut him prior to April 15th. No way they can surpass free agency with his contract hanging over their heads, not even knowing if he will be re-instated.

NFL screwing it’s teams and fans once again. What a shock.

56. 1) This is too premature. There is no need for any discussion until he has earned his reinstatement if and whenever that may occur.

2) If 15 million is too much for actually playing, why did the vikings pay him that amount for not playing without cutting him last season?

3) The vikings won more games without him so it is obvious that they want to keep him at his current salary.

4) No matter what the vikings do, viking people will say it is the wrong thing. Taking the salary cap hits with him playing or taking the salary cap hits without him playing.

5) No matter what the vikings do, they will make the wrong choice. It is the viking way.

57. The only way Peterson can get a fresh start is to go someplace where no one has ever heard of him. He’s P.R. poison to front offices, fans and sponsors. Only a fool would touch him. He would be best served by quitting football. As a self respecting parent and fan why and how could you cheer for him? Mike Zimmer is a neanderthal idiot for wanting him back. He probably beat his kids too.

58. So what happened in MN that he feels he needs a fresh start elsewhere? The abuse case was in TX. Does he think the vikings should have backed him up more on beating his kids’ testicles with a switch?

59. gonzagylot00 says: “Cowboys at bargain price, Demarco signs somewhere else, and learns just how good that offensive line is right now in Dallas”…

Vikes sign Demarco, Romo shows his age, Cowgirls finish last and Vikes in SB.

60. Simmer went on to say; “Like I said, it’s a two-way street. You switch my back, I’ll switch yours.”

61. Arizona if fitz restructures contract and u get a one year deal to regain ur stature in the nfl that would be good new England sux plus they jus signed brady to new deal and they got gronk if you went to az ur pretty much the only one worth paying top dollar down the road too besides fitz if you and fitz can work ur contracts out the first year the worst thing that can happen.is u when a super bowl with a back up !!!!! 🙂

62. Peterson probably wants to play for a team that can contend for a title. Even though Atlanta sucked this year, I could see him playing there and making a big difference for a team that has struggled running the ball for the past couple years. There aren’t many teams out there with a realistic shot at making the leap into title contention who don’t already have a pretty strong running game except for maybe San Diego or Arizona.

People who say New England forget that Kraft isn’t a big free agency spender except for the rare Revis deal we saw this year.

63. I’m curious as to what Vikings fans would think of AP if the team did cut him, and then the Packers signed him.

Then during the season he tells Peter King that one of the main reasons he signed with the Packers was to stick it to the Vikings. He also admits to calling the Lions to give them tips on how to beat the Vikings. Finally, near the end of the season, and the Vikings are in the wildcard hunt, Peterson will tell another teams players, who happen to be playing the Vikings next week, that he hopes they beat the Vikings to knock them out of the race.

What would Vikings fans think of him then?

64. Let him leave if that’s what he wants. Running backs are not that difficult to come by. There are other Eddie Lacys and Jamaal Charles out there. The game today is about offensive line protection and the passing game. I much rather have what we have in Teddy Bridgewater and draft or trade for another RB.

65. This is a tough decision for Peterson.

Does he stay with a team that has only won the current division 2 times in 13 years (and those two crowns thanks to a packer legend)?

Stay with historic ineptitude? At least he can be in the only place in modern civilization where he can be revered for his child beating skills.

Or does he go with a better team (pretty much any other team–ZERO probowlers!!), and have to stop beating up the only people he can–defenseless 4 year olds…one of the only things that can bring this monster joy?

66. AP has already stated that he would LOVE to play for DALLAS.

BREAKING NEWS: Jerrah has just found new oil in DALLAS!!

Stay Tuned for further developments………..

(Murray and Randle may be headed out) Hmmm

67. Peterson is just the sideshow in the perennial Viking circus.

When will Spieldope finally address the QB position? That’s the main event. Until then his incompetence will continue giving birth to a team of losers.

68. Fans have a right to pick on thier team or thier rival, But to call another human being trash or garbage is STUPID!! Unless you were standing there watching what went on we should all shut our d- -n mouths!! Dealing with our own mistakes and how we can correct them should be more important than jumping on someone else’s troubles!! Most of us are simply jealous!! Peterson has riches we don’t!!