Vince Wilfork: Marshawn Lynch “hands down” the best running back in football

AP

On Thursday, Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane offered an unimpressed review of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski to help set the stage for the crucial Super Bowl matchup between Gronkowski and the Seahawks secondary.

Another big matchup in the game is going to be the Patriots run defense against Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch. Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork was asked about Lynch on Friday and offered a more charitable take on a player he will be butting heads with in Glendale.

“He is very, very, very tough. I remember playing him when he was in Buffalo as a rookie, and I went up to him at the end of the game and I said, ‘You have something special. You’re a hell of a ball player.’ I said, ‘I have to give my hats off to you,’ and he kind of smiled and was like, ‘Thank you,’” Wilfork said in comments distributed by the team. “It seems like he’s been getting better and better. The more and more you play in the game, it seems like he kicks it to another gear, and that’s a sign of a great football player. He’s hands down the best back in the game because he can hurt you any time he has the ball in his hands. I think it’s going to be so important for us to have more than one defender tackling him because he’s shown over the years what he [can] do. He’ll make some defenses and he’ll make some players look stupid on the football field. I don’t want that feeling, I’ll tell you that. It’s going to be a lot of running for us trying to get to him because he demands that. He’s just a great back.”

Getting more than one hat on the ball is going to be vital for the Patriots since Lynch breaks tackles more frequently than any other back in the NFL right now. The Patriots allowed 104 yards on the ground per game during the regular season and they’ve given up an average of 109.5 yards in their two playoff outings, numbers that can’t go up too much if they’re going to keep Lynch from tilting things in Seattle’s favor.

67 responses to “Vince Wilfork: Marshawn Lynch “hands down” the best running back in football

1. Vince is right. And the Seattle Seahawks respects that for years Vince Wilfork as the toughest Nose Tackle in the league.

Game on….may the strongest survive!!

Go HAWKS!!

2. He says they will have multiple defenders on him, which means they really won’t. The mind games continue

3. Nice words from VW.
    Although Seattle’s D gets all the credit for the team’s success, I think the running game is going to be the difference maker in this one. Marshawn will get his yards, but focus on him too much and Russell will get you with the read option. Stack the box and RW will shred you with his arm. I’ve seen the polls and a majority of America is about to be stunned, just like last year.
    The Patriots are a great team; just not great enough.

4. People forget that Beast can catch too. He had the same offensive contribution as Aaron Rodgers in the NFCC = 183 yards.

157 rushing + 26 receiving vs
    178 passing + 12 rushing – 7 sacked

5. Seattle ranks first in rushing yards per game (176.2) and 27th in passing yards per game (203.1). Containing Lynch and Wilson in the run game is key to beating Seattle.

So much easier said than done.

On D, they are first in points per game (15.9), yards per game (276.1), and passing yards per game (185.6), third in rushing yards per game (81.5).

6. seahawksbmx says:
    Jan 23, 2015 3:55 PM
    Stack the box and RW will shred you with his arm.

——–

hahaha, thanks for the laugh.. Pats will lock down those pedestrian WRs easily.. get ready for another 4 picks when he tries to force it to covered guys again

7. I wish he would talk to the media more. Every time he says something I crack up laughing because I cant believe how dumb he is.

8. As a Hawks fan that’s a classy comment and one JLane needs to study. Our little nickel back better back it up is all I have to say. Lynch has got iron will and it’s inspiring to watch this guy run it really is. Gronk to me is the same way and will by far be the best TE we have faced all year. Gates tore us up so to me Gronk is going to see the ball A LOT. GO HAWKS!!

9. Not a Vikings fan but without AP playing I would agree that Lynch is probably the toughest back in the game. One only needs to compare the stats, total rushing yds., average yds., yds after contact, etc. etc. Certainly not condoning what Rice and Peterson did, but in the end they both got shafted real good by Goodell. Whoever AP plays for next year, will have the toughest RB in the league hands down.

10. Thank you for that crystal clear insight vegasgreek.

Your sharp analysis, coupled with your expansive use of the English language, is a true pleasure to behold.

Thank you for sharing, and keep up the good work!

11. As long as the Pats can lock down Lynch and manage to squeeze a few points out on offense which is easier said than done then I think they win IMO. If Wilson throws 4 picks against Green Bay how is he going to fair against Revis and Browner?

12. Marshawn Lynch will never be a Raider, but you can always dream. Why would he want to take a big step backward and work with Derek Carr when he has Russell Wilson???

Also got a big laugh from this statement:

“Pats will lock down those pedestrian WRs easily.. get ready for another 4 picks when he tries to force it to covered guys again”

Last time I looked, Wilson had 4 INT’s, but still ended up winning the game.

13. Funny how it’s always the OL when a Cowboys RB has the best numbers in the league.

Murray won the rushing title by over 400 yards. That is more than the product of an OL.

14. eldiablohawk says:
    Jan 23, 2015 4:38 PM

–Because he’s from Oakland…..and seattle cant pay everybody.

15. “The real onus is on the Pats offense. Overcoming Seattle’s D is bigger than containing their offense.”

it’s interesting – as a Hawks fan, my view is the flip side of that. I’m confident in our defense, even against a QB like Brady; but worried that our offense will get stuffed against an underrated defense. we’ve had a tendency toward slow first half starts on offense, and I don’t want to be down 16-0 to the Pats at the break.

16. I like Marshawn Lynch. He’s the essence of what a “football player” should be. The NFL should back off this guy. People like watching him play. I wish there were more like him.

17. R-E-L-A-X. Wilson isn’t go to throw 4 interceptions. 2 of those were friendly breaks fo GB bouncing off Kearse’s hands. The other two were balls thrown in bad rain and wind conditions that didn’t travel like Wilson anticipated. Bad balls yes, but unlikely we’ll be seeing similar conditions in the SB. Any INTs the Pats will have to earn. Not the gimmes GB got. Wilson has a proven track record of protecting the ball. Why else would so many of you cling to the moniker “game manager” otherwise?

18. Hands down? I think its close between bell and lynch. Bell is probably the best receiving and blocking hb in the lg, whipe lynch is good at both with a vicious run style

19. dallasgoon says:
    Jan 23, 2015 4:42 PM

———————————————————–
    You can’t deny the offensive line gave Murray more space to run this year plus it gave Romo more time to throw. Murray always got injured behind inferior lines this isn’t a coincidence. As for Smith he was an all time great offensive line or not.

20. Look at Marshawn Lynch as a rookie and look at him now. Kind of reminds me of the evolution of Barry Bonds if you catch my drift.

21. ML is under contract for next season. There was talk in the off season and even last year that the Seahawks would ask him to renegotiate that last year or release him. That talk has pretty much gone by the way side. In all likelihood he’ll be here next season and maybe even get an extension for another year or two past that.

22. Wilfofk is right as long as Adrian Peterson is suspended. I think the advantage that Lynch has is that he is crossed eyed and looks in two different directions at the same time.

Much like the detective skills of Colombo. There is no denying that Lynch is a tough cookie who is very hard to take down once he is in the open field. However, AD is the best ever.

23. It’s also to bad that Lynch is more like a Caveman instead of a normal person. Like a normal person says I am hungry, Lynch says, me want food.

If not for pro football, Lynch would either be in prison or dead. He is to dumb to do much else.

24. Toughest, IDK about best. Look at Seattle’s o line. Look at Dallas’s o line. Now look at Pittsburgh’s and consider what Bell did in his second season. I think Lynch is a flat out mack truck and hands down the hardest hitting, down hill running back in the league. No way in hell I trade Bell for him.

25. ad28bestever…somehow I think his lifetime earnings, and charitable contributions to Oakland’s underpriviledged kids, will outperform yours.

I wonder how dumb a few million in the bank, and a successful childrens charity, is, compared to your contributions to your family, and society at large.

26. Agst GB, there was a critical fourth quarter 3rd and 7 and they handed it to Lynch who rumbled for 12. Very gutsy call. No other coach would do that.

The dude is scary. Pats fan

27. kcflake…I wonder what size of flat screen TV Jamall will be watching the Super Bowl on this year.

Or any playoff game in the next few years, for that matter.

28. “No way in hell I trade Bell for him.”

If they were both the same age it might be a possibility. But not now.

I think many of you who don’t watch many Seahawks games think that all Marshawn Lynch is a power back. There are a lot of big strong runners in the NFL but what sets ML apart is his quickness and flat out speed for a big guy. Almost all of his big runs start with a lateral move in the hole where someone got faked out of their shoes. Then the power comes when people try to get ahold of him. He is a very complete back. Got some good hands too.

29. steeltroll says:
    Jan 23, 2015 5:33 PM
    ———
    Seattle’s O line is terrible, and we have had 20 combined games missed due to injury.

30. That picture used in this article is of the infamous record setting meltdown that the Packers displayed on national television. Up 12 points with 2:10 seconds to go and then…history happens.

31. Love it. As the PEDhawks continue to insult the competition, thereby revealing their own insecurities, the Pats control the head games. Pump ’em up, lord knows they want to believe it.
    But when push comes to shove, reality may be very unfriendly to the Best (cheaters) of the West.

32. I think the NFL should ban eating skittles on the sidelines. And if Lynch doesn’t want to comply, they fine and threaten to ban him from playing SBXLIX.

$5K/SKITTLE!

#gohawks

33. nicothenorthstar….PEDhawks term is SO 2014. For simple folks like the rest of us, perhaps you can list the recent PED suspensions the Seahawks have suffered?

Just for comparisons sake, of course.

34. reesesteel23 says:
    Jan 23, 2015 4:20 PM

God I cant wait til AD comes back lol.

Do you people ever get tired of eating crow?
    ———————————————-
    Packer fans never get tired of eating.

35. Man… Wilfork is right. Lynch is a total beast. He just charges and uproots players who are on his way. I just wish that people will respects his personality and let him be. He is a quiet guy. He and Wilson are cool even though they’re Seahawks.

36. I’m glad my Seahawks aren’t out here acting like wimps, and complimenting the enemy. This team is a pack of dogs. They want to taste your blood. No need to say anything nice, that’s not why we’re here.

And that’s just one of the reasons they’re going to win.

37. Hawks got lucky on Sunday. Here is why they won.

Burnett went down like hes sliding into second. Run the ball in and GB has a shot at a FG. He is a safety and has some speed too. He was afraid to be a hero.

Bostick should have blocked. It was the player he did not block that recovered. Even if Nelson fumbled it is likely GB recovers. Look at all the GB players around the fumble. The ball was high too so there is no reason for him to jump up and it hit his helmet too. He wanted to be a hero.

No end zone defense on the two pointer. Wilson took a long time to pass and it was a floater. Some people in retirement homes could have covered the Hawk players better. No GB player wanted to be a hero.

At about five minutes Matthews was on the sidelines looking like the game was in the bag fussing with his hair instead of the game. Why was he benched? I did not seem him out there the last five minutes.

It all comes down to coaching and lack of team leadership. Why wasn’t AR and Matthews getting the squad ready for the next series? They are supposed to be the leaders. I feel sorry for GB fans. I don’t see how they tolerate this type of performance. If someone says this is just how football is either does not know football or did not watch the game in detail.

38. Bubbalynch…the implication here is that the Seahawks will release him from the contract that he renegotiated ( well, sort of…) that runs to the end of NEXT season?

Um, ok…if you say so.

39. He is the best right now. And the dumbest of all racking up fines for not speaking to the media. Why? He is approaching $200+ million in fines. When he is retired he will say it was dumb not to speak.

40. beastmode5150 says:
    Jan 23, 2015 5:45 PM
    steeltroll says:
    Jan 23, 2015 5:33 PM
    ———
    ___________________________________
    Your terrible o line run blocks better than Pitt’s o line. No way I trade Bell. The only reason you think Pitt’s o line might be better is because of Bell.