Michael Bennett: Gronk is NFL’s No. 2 tight end, after my brother

AP

Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett says there’s only one tight end in the NFL better than Rob Gronkowski: Martellus Bennett.

“I think Gronkowski’s the second-best tight end. My brother’s first, obviously,” Michael Bennett said.

Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane said last week that he doesn’t think Gronkowski is very good, but Bennett doesn’t agree with that.

“His body’s pretty good,” Bennett said of Gronk. “He’s a good blocker. I think he does great. I think his run-after-catch is second to none. I think he has great hands. He’s just a great player, honestly.”

Everyone except Lane would agree that Gronk is a great player. Even if Bennett can’t go quite so far as to call him the best tight end in the NFL.

79 responses to “Michael Bennett: Gronk is NFL’s No. 2 tight end, after my brother

1. Oh you mean the guy who dropped Andrew Luck’s only incompletion last night, a 5 yard dump off pass that my grandma could’ve caught with one hand? Yea, keep dreaming.

2. heybackatyou says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:10 PM
    Didn’t Martellus drop 2 passes in the Pro Bowl yesterday?
    _______________________________________
    You honestly want to evaluate someone based on a meaningless game?

The guy had 915 yards and 6 touchdowns with Jay Cutler throwing him the ball.
    I shouldn’t like him because he never learned the playbook in Dallas when we had him, but that is pretty darn good for a guy that is sharing touches with Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte, and Alshon Jeffery.

3. Everyone relax. That’s awesome! This dude is one of the few Seahawks who is tolerable to listen to.

4. Put Jimmy Graham on the Pats I bet he catches more balls than Gronk or Bennet. Jimmy Graham is a one hell of a athlete, he just doesnt have the team around him like Gronk does.

5. Martellus Bennett was a nice surprise in fantasy leagues, but only because the NFL was devoid of TE talent outside of Gronk.

6. Gotta love the commenters on a story like this. You’re really going to come here and argue against Bennett over Gronk? Seriously? It’s his BROTHER. You know he doesn’t even believe it, it’s just what he says.

But sure, come here to point out how Martellus performed in the pro bowl.

7. bucckevin says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:13 PM
    I’m pretty sure he was joking around. The media takes everything out of context.

—–

“Martellus, the Bears’ tight end, is Michael’s brother. So it’s probably safe to say that Michael is a little biased on that evaluation.”

I think the media got it right this time around; it’s the commenters on this site taking things out of context.

8. Gonna be a great game folks. Gonna be very close and competitive unlike last year’s game.
    May the best team win

9. heybackatyou says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:10 PM

Didn’t Martellus drop 2 passes in the Pro Bowl yesterday?

____________________________________

Yep, he sure did, In that exhibition game that is for fun, that counts for absolutely nothing….he sure did.

Did Baldwin fumble on a kick return and have passes bounce of his hands in the NFC championship game? Yep he sure did…..If the Seahawks play the way they did against the Patriots, no way they win the Superbowl.

10. Stupid. Just say “Gronk is a great player and he’ll be a great challenge for us Sunday”. And SHUT UP. I know these guys are young but by now I would think Bennett knows better.

11. Has Ray Lewis chimed in on this yet? I’m sure he would say Gronk is one of the worst starting tight ends in the league!

12. If Gronk reads this and gets angry, he’s even dumber than everyone suspects.

Lighten up a little, everyone.

13. “His body’s pretty good.. but his face, that’s just average.. I would say he’s a butterface..”

14. ionlyrootforthewinningteam says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:18 PM

———————————————–
    The Seahawks haven’t played the Patriots yet. Doh!

15. Funny how one injury riddled season that Graham has and he falls right out of the conversation. JG has played through torn ligaments in his foot and also played this year with a sprained shoulder and still had a solid season. When he’s healthy, he’s good for 2 TDs a game.

16. Bears fan here and realistically, Martellus isn’t even top-5. That being said, he has definitely flashed potential during his time in Chicago. He plays hard, plays hurt, is willing to block and seems to be limited only by inconsistency and an alarming tendency to draw penalties.

You get the feeling that he has been underutilized so far in Chicago, and that his ceiling is a lot higher than he has shown. Gase is no stranger to big, talented TEs so I’m interested to see if he can help Martellus get to the next level.

17. ralphe32 says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:33 PM

The Seahawks haven’t played the Patriots yet. Doh!

______________________________________

” NFC championship game” wast the reference to the game, not the Superbowl. DOH! Reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

18. A – It’s his brother – of course he’s going say his brother’s #1.
    B – for those of you judging Bennett by his performance in pro bowl, why are you admitting to watching it?

19. Jeremy Lane is obviously an idiot.

I’m still trying to figure out which team is the lesser evil between the Seahawks and the Patriots. I know which one obviously talks way too much.

20. Bennett trying to fluff Gronk as much as can so Gronk is nice to him during the game.

Then when Gronk isn’t looking Bennett gives him a blindside cheap shot.

21. Gronk: 12 TDs this season (excluding the post-season).
    Bennett; 6 TDs this season.

Gronk also had 200 more yards, and averaged 3.5 yards more per reception.

Gronk: In the conversation for MVP…Bennett not even on the radar for that award.

Yeah, that is close, but I have to go with Gronk.

22. What the hell is wrong with you all! None of you would say that your brother was the best player at whatever position, even-though you know someone else is better????

The man loves his brother, just like all of you should…

23. You guys are dumb. And apparently have absolutely no sense of humor what-so-ever. Wait til you guys all hear Michael Bennett at media day. Boy, are there ever going to be some upset commenters then.

24. NFLisnotreality says:
    Jan 26, 2015 3:02 PM

The man loves his brother, just like all of you should…
    —————————————————————–
    Lots of comments like the one above. We didn’t see what question he was answering, if any.
    However, he didn’t need to chime in about it at all, even if his brother plays TE in the NFL. You can say anything you want about choosing his brother over everyone else, but this isn’t a vacuum, and of course he meant it similarly to Lane.

25. saints12013 says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:38 PM
    ………….
    Ah ah ah, I belive Gronk was known as “glass-kowski” by the haters because he couldn’t stay on the field right?

Fair or not, Graham wasn’t healthy. Time for you Saints fans to hear it.

It wouldn’t hurt him to be a better blocker though 😃

26. As a bears fan Martellus Bennett is the best TE I’ve ever seen on the bears and I’ve been watching since 1979. Martellus is awesome at blocking. His receiving is excellent too. How good would Martellus be if his qb was Brady?

27. heybackatyou says: Jan 26, 2015 2:10 PM

Didn’t Martellus drop 2 passes in the Pro Bowl yesterday?

That begs the question…If you drop a pass and nobody sees it because nobody was watching, does it count as a dropped pass?

28. Jeez it’s his brother. Give it a rest. I’m sure he knows it’s just lip service. It’s like when we tell our wives they are the hottest chick at a party.

29. Bennett better have his urine tested. His brother Martellus couldn’t hold Gronk’s jock.

The proof is, every team he’s been with has let him go. And don’t criticize those who respond to Michael Bennett’s bragging about his brother. He’s the one who opened his mouth about it.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I can’t wait to see Gronk catch a few passes and run over these egotistical defensive backs the Seahawks have.

The Packers don’t have a TE. So the Seahawks are in for a rude awakening when they try to cover and tackle Gronk.

30. are you kidding bud, bennett, the drop machine better then, gronk, what have you been smoking…….

31. droptellus bennett, is not in gronks class and gronk, can throw you out of the club

32. Bennett couldn’t even hold Wittens Jock! #1 TE in the league? Hahahahaha maybe #10 just forgot the zero!

33. After reading these comments I’m convinced much of America has a deflated sense of humor

34. He can say what he will about his brother. People can say that Graham is a better receiver. But when you combine pass catching and run support blocking, Gronk is the best all around TE.

35. beastmode5150 says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:15 PM

Good lord you guys, what would you say if your brother was also an NFL tight end?
    ———————
    Nothing at all.

I believe it was Mark Twain or Will Rogers who said, “It’s better to keep your mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt.”

36. beedubyatoo says:
    Jan 26, 2015 3:59 PM
    beastmode5150 says:
    Jan 26, 2015 2:15 PM

———————
    Nothing at all.

———
    He would get fined if he said nothing.

37. I’m a Bear fan, but, Jason Witten is ‘ Clutch Cargo ‘ to me.

When a catch needs to be made, Witten is very dependable 943 receptions, 10,502 yards and 57 TD’s…pretty impressive !

I like Bennett here in Chicago, his YAK totols are amazing and he is seldom tackled by one defender or after the first hit.

It’s a tough call, Witten or Bennett.
    Gronk catches passes from a cheater, and Graham loves himself and wants the NFL to change the dunk rule, all because Graham is me, me , me.

I’d go Witten, then Bennett!

38. Sssshhhhhh Michael be quiet. Comments like that will awaken the NFL drug testers. We don’t want any drug testing going on in our locker room. Sssshhhh. Marshawn and Richard.

39. Is Bennett even the best TE on his own team? I watched that Dallas – Chicago game where they spoon fed Bennett about 15 passes for 12 catches, and 7.0 whole yards a catch. I wasn’t impressed.

40. As a Bears fan, I will take Gronkowski anytime over Bennett.
    But in all fairness to Bennett, it’s hard to tell just how good he is when you have Cutler attempting to throw passes.

41. Well, according to many Dallas fans, Romo is “garbage” but Witten still performs at a consistently high level and is never controversial.