Adrian Peterson has some misgivings about rejoining the Vikings for 2015.
In a story published Thursday night, Peterson told ESPN.com’s Ben Goessling he was still sorting out whether he could play again for Minnesota after spending most of the season on paid leave from the club.
“My wife [and I], we’ve had several conversations about me returning to Minnesota, what the best options are,” Peterson told ESPN.com. “If I left it up to her, I’d be somewhere else today, and that’s with her weighing everything. It’s a lot for me to weigh; she understands that. But there are some things that I’m still uneasy about.”
In the story, Peterson said the Vikings’ willingness to put him on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list in September felt like an “ambush,” with the tailback expressing displeasure about how the decision was made.
Peterson was placed on the exempt list after his September arrest for injuring his son during a whipping. In November, he pleaded no-contest to misdemeanor reckless assault.
The 29-year-old Peterson can apply for NFL reinstatement on April 15. He has three years left on his contract, and the Vikings have expressed a willingness to have him back in 2015.
But is the feeling mutual?
Earlier this month, Peterson indicated he would be open to playing with Minnesota in 2015. However, in the ESPN.com story published Thursday, Peterson made it clear his answer then was marked by his affinity for his Minnesota teammates like linebacker Chad Greenway, not management.
“That’s where it comes from,” Peterson told ESPN. “It don’t come from the organization. I’m not in a good place when it comes to that.”
The question now is whether the Vikings and Peterson can again get to a good place.