Bears would trade Cutler, but why would anyone trade for him?

Getty Images

The Bears would gladly get rid of Jay Cutler if anyone would take his contract off their hands. But that’s not going to happen.

Dan Bernstein of WSCR in Chicago reported today that the Bears are actively shopping Cutler and would move him for a “reasonable return.” But so far, the Bears haven’t received any enticing offers.

The reason, of course, is that Cutler and his agent fleeced the Bears when they got the team to agree to a huge contract extension in 2013. That contract guarantees Cutler $15.5 million in 2015 and $10 million in 2016. There’s just no way that any team is going to trade for the right to pay Cutler that much money, after a season in which Cutler played so poorly that he got benched.

As CSN Chicago’s John Mullin noted on today’s PFT Live, everyone within the Bears seems resigned to the fact that they’re stuck with Cutler for at least this year, and probably next year, too.

“It will still be the shock of the millennium if he’s not a Bear. They’ll listen to trades but there really are not many teams that will take on a $15.5 million salary, which would also commit you to $10 million in 2016,” Mullin said.

The $15.5 million the Bears owe Cutler this year is, at this point, a sunk cost. And the only way out of the $10 million commitment in 2016 is to cut Cutler now. The Bears might consider that, but it seems unlikely. Even more unlikely is some other team being willing to pay Cutler that kind of money. Cutler isn’t going anywhere.

87 responses to “Bears would trade Cutler, but why would anyone trade for him?

1. for god sake RAY FARMER trade 3-5th rounder for him He’s slight upgrade too McCown when his head is in the game and we all know he’s 300% upgrade from noodle arm Manziel

2. He’s a Top 5 Quarterback. The Bears nor John Fox are just losers and unfortunately wouldn’t be able to get past Mount. Griffin in the playoffs anyways.

Top 5 QBs in Professional Football : Robert Griffin, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Drew Brees and Jay Cutler. In that order.

3. The 49ers should complete their death spiral by trading Kaepernick for Cutler. I mean, why not go all the way, San Francisco?

4. I would just bite the bullet and cut him. I’d rather pay $15.5 million for him to not be there. Yeah the cap hit would suck…for one year. But they could trade for Mike Glennon and bring in a veteran backup like Shaun Hill or Rex Grossman for a cheap amount and probably still have better success and a better locker room environment than they would with Cutler.

5. If he regresses any further, he’ll be qualified to start for the Vikings.
    ___________________________________

Gotta say that’s pretty funny. Almost spit up my beer.

6. If I were the Bears GM, I’d take a bag of footballs for him and they don’t even have to be properly inflated. I’d feel like jumping for joy if I could get a 7th round pick.

What a shameful waste of talent..

7. There’s some terrible NFL QBs. Cutler isn’t as bad as his reputation. He’s better than Dalton, Kaepernick, Tannehill and down. If I’m continually drafting in the top 10 I’d trade for him in a second.

8. In addition to having an enormous contract, Cutler has been around long enough for everyone in the league to know who he is – and isn’t.

From a purely physical standpoint, yes, he is what you look for in a franchise QB – a stud with a cannon for an arm.

But we also know he is not a leader, playmaker or game changer; kinda thin-skinned and gets rattled into routinely making (or repeating) mistakes that the top QBs rarely do.

9. No one will kick the tires or take on this turd in trade. Pick up Tebow on a prove it deal and make Cutler show in competition that he is worth his contract. If he can’t (and he most likely won’t), you will still have Tebow who will most likely bring the team further along on sheer will and grit than Cutler ever could on his ability.

10. There is no one better to get out there, keep Jay until his contract is up and use his cannon during the purge and rebuild. Moving him now doesn’t make sense unless it’s a straight up trade for Rodgers……..

You can always start Clausen and the kid, Fales…..over Jay bird…

11. Rumor is that there is a discussion going on regarding a Cutler for Kaepernick straight across trade……..

Have to believe SF would want to do that….they would inherit the contract of Cutler which would not allow them to really cut Jay for two years or take a big cap hit……Chicago would win on that as they could cut Kap next year without any cap penalty….

12. Since they are “stuck” with him, the Bears might want to ease up on the trash talk. With all of the negativity, it will be quite difficult to see Cutler too anxious to take the field.

I hope he proves all the trash talkers wrong. He is quite capable of doing just that.

13. thepackerpoet says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:43 PM
    I’m so glad we have the best QB in the league! Bears and Vikings are horrible.
    ======================================
    Green Bay is the enema insertion point of the Earth. Classless fans for sure. I can’t wait until Zimmer builds our team to destroy you. Its inevitable . Look what he did in one year….

14. Cutler’s QB rating last season was his 2nd highest in Chicago. The reason to get rid of Cutler is because his attitude will never win anything.

15. The one good thing emery did was lock Cutler up for at least 3 years. Who’s available that’s better? Nobody. If us Bears fans think they can do better with Clausen or Fales you’re sadly mistaken. He may turn the ball over in SOME games at an alarming rate, especially against g.b, but he does give us the best chance to win. If we want the #1 pick next year we trade him and roll with clausen or fales. Cutler haters are hilarious so I’m sure they’ll give me a thumbs down lol gtfoh

16. it would be a win for the bears to get an open roster spot and get that money off the books – so they should offer cutler and draft picks to somebody to take him off their hands

17. Pay the man and draft his replacement and just have one expensive backup QB.
    You cut him, you still have to pay him and his replacement. But, in this case if the replacement goes down…you have not capable backup. He’s at least serviceable as a backup and hopefully it’ll wake him up.

18. tokyofilthblaster says: Mar 9, 2015 7:33 PM

If he regresses any further, he’ll be qualified to start for the Vikings.
    _____________________________________
    Boy you are REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel. Trolling the Vikings on a story with nothing, to do with them OR the Packers.

19. Basically, 25.5 million to take a one year flyer on him. If a team that had absolutely no prospects at quarterback and had to burn up a bunch of cap, I might offer a 7th rounder if the Bears would kick in a 3rd and a 5th to take Cutler off their hands. The only problem is both Oakland and Jacksonville want to give their young guys every chance to succeed next year.

20. Adrian Peterson’s name could be substituted in that headline. Yet people somehow think they will get a 1st rounder and that same team would take on that bloated contract.

21. jeverd says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:47 PM

———————-

He has had plenty of opportunities to prove doubters wrong. So far he has proven them right every time.

22. seanx40 says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:42 PM

Perhaps someone should block for Cutler once in a while.

——————–

If Cutler took the blame for the OL mistakes and protected them in the media they might block for him.

23. It gets old seeing everyone pile on Cutler over and over. His 2014 stats are 66% completion, over 3800 yards passing, 28 TD’s, 18 picks and a 88.6 QB rating. Not Hall of Fame numbers but solid for mid-pack among 32 starting QB’s in the league. Turnovers are what you hear a lot of with him but Rivers had 18 picks, Brees and Dalton 17, Luck 16, Manning 15. It’s not like the guy threw 40 INT’s on the year. His fumbles drive you crazy but this is a guy running for his life behind that offensive line. Since Cutler came to Chicago I’d be willing to bet he is in the top 5 on QB sacks. Doesn’t help either when the (lack of) defense gives up 50+ points in back to back games and is ranked at the bottom of the league for the year. He played catch up all year long cause the D couldn’t stop anyone. When you are down by a couple of TD’s every game and the opposing D knows you are throwing it, it’s a lot easier to defend. Cutler was just trying to make things happen. Unless you are working with a rookie contract (Russell Wilson) or have a lower rated guy, the money Cutler signed for is about average. I just read a article where it said Ryan Tannehill is in line for 100M dollar contract. Looks at the deal Kap and Dalton signed.

24. If they cut him they avoid 10m in cap hit in 2016. If you had cancer and someone told you you could get rid of it AND save spending 10 m dollars, why wouldn’t you do it? He’s not just a bad qb, he’s toxic.

25. keltictim says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:35 PM
    What’s the cap hit for cutting him?

________________

19.5 this year (15.5 mil slary, plus pro-rated singing bonus), and 10 million next year (unless released this week). Plus he has a few more years of a restructure bonus that I believe (not 100%) he still receives from the Bears if they release him at 1 mil a year

26. Hard to be a top QB when you only have 1.2 seconds to pass. All he needs is a little protection. He took hits last year that would knock most QBs out of the game.

27. No one will trade for him when everyone knows the Bears will cut him by Thursday. On Friday teams will offer Cutler 3 yrs 38 million with 8 million guaranteed. Which, esentially works out to a one year “prove it” contract.

28. My favorite Cutler moment was when he was playing for Denver and publicly stated he was better than Elway. Man, I have never seen a city turn on a guy so fast! He was pretty much done in Denver with that remark. Bronco fans hated him and still do!

29. Some QB’s are just good enough to stick around forever but never accomplish anything. Unless you count the first playoff victory over a 7-9 team. Yeah, Jay Cutler did that.

30. drunkraider says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:32 PM
    send him to the Jets
    __________

You say that as if they didn’t try, I have to believe as they were talking about Marhsall it was brought up.

I think the Bears are just hoping someone accidentally says Yes

31. Someone will take him because he’s fools gold. The arm looks great and you just can’t figure out why he isn’t an elite superstar. And you’re sure if your coaching staff gets their hands on him that they will figure it out. Then he plays….

32. He threw 28 TDs last year.

There are much worse QBs out there. THAT is why some teams might trade for him.

Sometimes I wonder whether these writers at PFT have ever watched a game of football in their life.

33. Doesn’t seem like too much money considering what running backs are getting this year.

And I’m not a Cutler fan, but at least you know what you’re getting for the 25 mil for 2 years.

34. getmikej2012 says:
    Mar 9, 2015 8:35 PM

————————————————————

Ding ding ding ding we have a winner here!

I believe you are correct sir!

🙂

35. As a bears fan…I’d keep him and try to improve the running game.
    Get a real compliment to Forte…..
    Has anyone considered that having Forte on the field all of the time isn’t such a great idea?
    He’s average in pass protection.
    And he doesn’t get the tough yards.

36. pervyspankspackfans says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:49 PM

thepackerpoet says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:43 PM
    I’m so glad we have the best QB in the league! Bears and Vikings are horrible.
    ======================================
    ==================================
    My god, you’re right! He took a 5 win team that couldn’t make the playoffs….and made it into a 7 win team that didn’t make the playoffs! He’s a turn-around specialist. In one year, he’ll make your non-contender a non-contender.

Typical Vikings fan banter. “We’ll get you…..in future.”

37. I good coach knows how to handle a player like Cutler and turn him into a winner or quit football. Fox is not that coach … he could not even handle Peyton.

38. All I have to say is the Packer and Bears fans must be pretty afraid of Zimmer’s Vikings. They are sure going out of their way to Troll us this early.
    Plus I wouldn’t trade Bridgewater for Cutler even if you gave a 1st rounder to boot! PS: that’s the only way The Bears will get anybody to take him off their hands is to pay with Draft choices for someone to take him.

39. edelmansbrain says:
    Mar 9, 2015 8:05 PM
    I’d like to trade my mother and law, wishful thinking!!!!!

—————————-
    I think teams grossly underestimate the effectiveness of having a mother-inlaw dispatched to the opposing sidelines.

12th man + mother-inlaw = brow beat to victory

40. Surprised the Haters aren’t out today…

If they keep him, here’s how they’ll use him –

-MORE Rollouts, where he only has half the field to worry about…and he did much better in Denver with that type of play instead of sitting in the Pocket.

-Better blocking!!! Last year the OL sucked, period!!

-Minimum 60% running percentage….the less times he has to worry about throwing the lower the number of INT’s.

And seriously, $10mil for a decent Starter in the NFL isn’t shabby, and that’s what he’ll be next year.

41. “If he regresses any further, he’ll be qualified to start for the Vikings.”
    _________

Says he of the team that only won 5 games last season. I’d say more but dud bears are so irrelevant it’s not worth it.

42. I’ve been telling my best friend for years that Cutler is a LOSER. He’s a winner in terms of the contract he got with the Bears, but on the field he’s a loser. Get rid of him. Take the cap hit and move on. He’s vermin in the locker room and worse on the field.

43. Why aren’t players camped outside of his agents office begging him to negotiate their next contract?

You think Cutler pouted last year – wait until the untradeable one returns next year. Can’t miss TV.

44. ldbeachtecorion61 says:
    Mar 9, 2015 9:25 PM

———————————-
    I don’t have a dog in this fight, but from what I can see Vikings fan came to this party drunk and looking to fight.

45. Wow never expected these comments :-/

Just for the record. He never said he was better than elway. Just said he had a stronger arm. No argument.
    Unfortunately gots lots o muscle in his head too.

46. The Bears would have to throw in draft picks to get a team to accept Cutlers contract.
    Cutler + a 2nd round pick for a 7th round pick.

47. babygaga19 says: Mar 9, 2015 8:35 PM

————————————————————–
    He said he had a better ARM.

48. logicalvoicesays says:
    Mar 9, 2015 7:34 PM

—-
    Go to sleep. I’m sure it’s WAY past your bedtime, and you probably have a quiz in Social Studies or something like that tomorrow.

49. Cutler – Year – Sacks – Ranking
    2014 – 38 – 8th
    2013 – 19 – 32nd
    2012 – 38 – 5th
    2011 – 23 – 26th
    2010 – 52 – 1st

Super Bowl Winner – Sacks – Ranking
    2014 – Tom Brady – 21 – 26th
    2013 – Russell Wilson – 44 – 4th
    2012 – Joe Flacc0 – 35 – 9th
    2011 – Eli Manning – 28 – 20th
    2010 – Aaron Rodgers – 31 – 13th

Please, let’s hear more excuses for Cutler.

50. I am a Packers fan and I see at least 2 games a year of this guy completely overwhelmed on the football field. I see posts from Jets, Browns, Titans and Bills fans on this story wanting Jay Cutler and I cannot understand it. It is just sad. Trust me, you do not want this guy.

Bills -You are better off with Cassel and drafting a QB in the mid rounds.

Browns- You already have the better of the Bears QBs from 2013

Jets- Draft a QB, You can probably get Mariota at 6 if you want. You are better off with Geno anyways, at least he is young, he makes mistakes but he still has time to get it.

Titans- Go with Mettenberg get a vet backup.

(If I misspelled any of those names it is because I was too lazy to look them up)

I must assume that you have not seen Cutler meltdown every single year. They guy may have talent but he is a born loser as far as being a leader of a team. I don’t know him, he may be a great father and husband, maybe even a good guy to his close friends, but as a leader of men on a football field, he is awful.

I admit, I would hate to see him leave the Bears so my arguments may seem self-serving but keeping him on the Bears is the best decision for your team as well. Good luck in 2015.

51. The Bears didn’t get fleeced anymore than the Lions when that brain trust signed Stafford to mega extension when he had two years left on his contract…the organization’s showed their lack of foresight

52. Most of all, Cutler appears to lack leadership qualities, a basic tenet of the QB position.

And after last years meltdown his confidence appears as if it was ripped to shreds, dare I say it, by a Grizzly!

53. Agent fleeced Bears? Are the Bears front office is incompetent should be the operative sentence. GMs around the league have given outrageous contracts to so-so players, Miami, NYJ, Browns Bills, and on and on come to mind. Systemic failures in FA , follow the failed money and each team that goes crazy setting the market way way to high are ones that perpetually lose in this league. Perpetual winners, NE, Pittsburg, Baltimore, GB and Cincinnati to name a few don’t have a failed business plan like so many teams.

54. All I have to say is the Packer and Bears fans must be pretty afraid of Zimmer’s Vikings. They are sure going out of their way to Troll us this early.

Lol..can we have what you ‘re smoking? You Viking fans are hilarious. Who needs sitcoms when you can read Viking fan comments on PFT!? Keep em coming!!

55. Do queenie fans not realize that Cutler had a better qb rating than Teddy Two Pick? Ouch!

56. It would have to be a team as stupid and desperate as the Bears, so…

Cutler new 49ers QB! is is.