Manziel’s time in rehab ends

AP

Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel entered rehab in late January.  Per multiple reports, Manziel’s time in rehab has now ended.

The move comes with more than a week until the Browns open their offseason program, which allows players to spend up to four hours per day in the facility, working out and attending classroom instructions.

With the Browns reportedly interested in trading up for quarterback Marcus Mariota, it’s entirely possible that the Browns have moved on from Manziel.  But as long as he’s on the roster, he has a chance to redeem himself.  And with his salary for 2015 fully guaranteed and presumably no one inclined to trade for him, Manziel will get that chance.

From a football perspective, the key for Manziel will be to commit himself fully and completely to football.  From a personal perspective, the bigger challenge will be to stay on the path that he started via more than two months in rehab.

68 responses to “Manziel’s time in rehab ends

1. Great use of a #1 pick. It’s like that movie Draft Day … only this time it’s the real Brownies.

2. Remember, the Browns not only had a QB study warning about this guy, they had a free Patriots internal draft document predicting this would happen. Instead, they listened to a hobo. And yet I can’t get hired there no matter how many giant fruit baskets I deliver.

3. He’ll make a fortune on the “don’t like I did speaking-circuit”. Chances of ever becoming a football player are diminutive.

4. Step 1…..give up all of your “friends”, get a new cell phone number, and stay the heck at home…..dont go out AT ALL. 90% of kicking bad habits is simply not putting yourself in bad situations.

5. Why doesn’t the media (specifically PFT) treat Manziel nearly as harshly as they do other QBs with far less character concerns?

With Manziel we get a characterization that he just needs time to grow out of it and needs a little bit of focus.

With other QBs we get characterization that they are of impermissibly bad character and hopelessly stamped never to do good.

6. I never believed Manziel would be successful in the NFL and that was independent of his off the field issues. But in fairness to him. He was never given a shot. A quarter and a half against the Bills second teamers, and 2 starts one of which he got hurt in. That’s not a fair shake for anyone to prove if they do or don’t have if. And for that I feel sorry for the kid.

The fact that Cleveland traded up to get someone and gave on him so quickly- it’s the epitome of their lack of success since returning to Cleveland.

7. Why doesn’t the media (specifically PFT) treat Manziel nearly as harshly as they do other QBs with far less character concerns?

——————————-

Example please…. and don’t say Jameis Winston….

8. He needs to stay on the same path he has been on for 2 months, or the NFL is over for him. I hope he can do it, but it’s going to be very difficult in that environment he is in. I wish him luck.

9. iloveagoodnap says:
    Apr 11, 2015 1:01 PM

—-

Don’t feel sorry for him. He made millions just getting drafted, and also has endorsement money. He will always be a hero in TX, and daddy is just waiting to hire him in the family business when the NFL is through with him. He is one of the few guys in the league that isn’t dependent on the league for a job.

And let’s not forget that he admitted that he didn’t take football as seriously as he should have already. He wasn’t ready when the bell rang, and it is his own damn fault. Nothing to feel sorry for at all.

10. I would never give up on any player with only 6 quarters of football. Dez Bryant, elway first game, 1 of 8 qb rating of 0, aikman, manning, etc. easy to criticize let’s wait and see.

11. Anybody that’s ever been to re-hab, or has been close to somebody in re-hab knows; it’s not what you bring to it, it’s what you take from it. Good Luck to him whatever he ends up doing, wherever that may be.

12. Point Blank,,,with the current state of the Browns roster versus the other 3 AFC North team they have to admit they are not contenders presently.

The job has to be Manziel’s to lose. Stockpile draft picks and bring talent in. Develop Manziel or at least give him a shot to prove he cannot be developed.

The Browns are more than a QB away from being legit.
    Losing Cameron hurts, he is a good TE when healthy. Signing hou
    The WR position is a glaring weakness and Gordon will probably never play for the Browns again. Bring in Crabtree and spend a second/third round pick on another.
    Strengthen the trenches–1 of the number one picks on an OL and the other number one on a DT
    RB–they are OK here, but maybe a 4th rounder–Maybe a David Cobb from Minnesota

13. I just hope the Browns somehow manage to draft Mariota at #22, just to keep the weirdest streak in sports alive.

14. To be successful in recovery you only have to change one thing:

Everything

I never thought Manziel was going to see success as an NFL quarterback. Now, because he had the courage to get help, I will be rooting for the kid. I hope he keeps it on the straight and narrow and finds his way to a decent career.

15. he hasn’t had a legit chance to succeed or fail and with a inept organization that is challenged at every level top to bottom I doubt it will happen in cleveland

16. There are rehab programs that are 6 days and others that are 30-60. These programs provide one with the tools and information to stay sober. Once you walk out the door only the individual makes the decision to enjoy life sober or return to old habits. Is he committed?

17. I have zero faith in this guy. The Browns made a huge mistake drafting this guy. Sadly, it’s just another blunder by the team’s front office. I feel bad for the Cleveland fans. They are some of the most rabid fans in the league. However, team management has done nothing to show they are making any progress whatsoever. Show me who on that offense would strike fear in a defense….and I mean, show me someone who isn’t suspended (Josh Gordon). For a team with so many high draft picks to have almost no offensive talent. The only talent they do have is on the offensive line but it doesn’t do any good to have a good OL when they have a drunk for a QB and a bunch of retreads at the skill positions. I’m not so sure they aren’t the midwest version of the Raiders.

Don’t misconstrue this as bashing Cleveland. It’s just a brutally honest assessment of where that franchise is.

18. He’s a 22 year old kid who could have spent the offseason traveling the world and sleeping with different women every night. He chose rehab. Got to respect that. I still think Jerry will find a way to get him.

19. Hopefully, this was a big wake up call for Manziel. If he matured, and gained some humility from the experience, then great. I think the browns will give him a chance to redeem himself, only one chance, this year. I really don’t believe the browns are going to trade away their 1st. round picks to move up for Mariota, being that he is not a can’t miss type QB such as Luck etc. They may still try to get Bradford, but can’t giver up more than one 1st rounder to do so. I look for the browns to draft Shelton, or and edge rusher, and a deep threat Wr. if they keep both 1st rd. picks. The browns are slowly ,but surely adding depth, and getting injured key players back such as Mack, Gipson, Taylor etc. There is no reason they couldn’t be a 10 win team in 2015, especially if they get at least average QB. play.

20. Let’s hope the kid can make it past his demons.. He has a very strong arm, is accurate, and has natural football instincts. And, he is smart, scored a 32 on the Wonderlic test.

21. pftbro says:
    Apr 11, 2015 2:24 PM

I agree with your sentiments, no one wants this kid to end up with bigger problems.
    But I disagree that he’s smart. He’s been nothing short of an idiot in his actions.
    He has been an arrogant, spoiled, little punk. Let’s hope they took them out of him as well.

22. taintedsaints2009 says:
    Apr 11, 2015 1:13 PM
    If he ever does the money sign again you know the rehab didn’t work.

—————————————————————

Rehab doesn’t undo a douche-bag, it just makes them function without relying on drugs or alcohol.

23. I must say to much emphasis on manziel in round 1. Only 55 percent of first rounders pan out let alone at 22. Bitionio, west, kirksey look great. Ufa’s Crowell, k Williams, Gabriel were very good. Injuries last year. Taylor, Bryant, Hughes on line hurt big. This team is not far away

24. nyneal says:
    Apr 11, 2015 2:28 PM
    pftbro says:
    Apr 11, 2015 2:24 PM

__________________

He is book smart, let’s hope he “Gets” smart in other ways, also.

25. “And with the 32nd pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Teddy Bridgewater, quarterback, Louisville University”.

“Thanks Cleveland. And you have our sympathy?”.

26. Praying for him as a person… and I can’t believe I’m saying this… I would like to see the new Johnny on the field.

27. This guy was not the least bit contrite before he went to rehab. He deserves no credit for defiantly stating that he would NOT change.

Now everybody is having a pity party for a guy who thumbed his nose at the world. I hope he wins the fight against addiction, but I have zero sympathy for his football aspirations.

Like someone said, other guys get drug through the mud and for him, we get, he’s just a kid. Tell that to the parents of real kids getting blown up in the middle east.

28. I’m actually someone who didn’t like johnny in last years draft because i didn’t want my cowboys to use a #1 on him but i do think he can be a good qb if he grows up and worries more about learning A system and spending every day trying to get better and stay out of the clubs and worrying more about what other celebrities he can hang with. Now to my original post thought
    if Cleveland is really giving up on Johnny then I could see Jerry trading for him for a 4th round pick maybe A 3rd if Cleveland gives up there 4th. And he can sit back behind Romo A few years and become a great QB but to be given up on so early I think Cleveland will regret it in the long run no QB in this draft class is worth more then A 3rd round pick next year is pretty stacked i say ride johnny and josh this year get A wr and some def and if you still suck grab cardale next year

29. Let’s see if he’s still as blind off the field (read: misreading the effect of his antics) as he is on it.

If he has any hope, he should take an honest look at how he is perceived and take ownership of same. You can say all you want that people’s opinions don’t matter, but they certainly did to him when he was trying to act like a rock star.

30. no matter how much you hate this kid tell me how it is his fault his every move is made into a news story? did he call a press conference and announce he was being released? did he have one to let everybody know he played golf with his family? did he let the press know when he was going out and partying? yet it is all his fault and this site rips him for it. here’s a thought how about nothing on this guy until football season? I don’t want to know what he had for breakfast or what he bought at the store today. just stop!!

31. Eh, he’ll be a Cowboy by about the 3rd Round of this years draft… And just to add insult, Jerry will send Weeden back to the factory in the deal as well.

32. I have always had this feeling ,and this is going back to his Heisman season, that someday Hollywood would come up with a movie based on the “Johnny Football” character. I don’t know why, just thought it sounds like a movie…Here’s hoping that it turns out to be an inspirational story, and not a shakesperian tragedy. Good luck young Mr. Manziel.

33. I’m not sold on his ability to be an NFL quarterback even if he can stop acting like an entitled idiot. He reminds me of Wuerffel and Tebow to some extent. It’s one thing to be successful in college. It’s something entirely different in the NFL. In college, Johnny could run around like his hair was on fire and throw a jump ball to his receiver. In the NFL, those incredibly huge guys chasing you can run almost as fast as you…if not faster. Plus, those guys covering the receivers aren’t chopped liver. He probably faced one or two NFL-caliber CBs in college. Changes are pretty good every CB he will face in the NFL are better than any he faced in college. You can’t just throw the ball up and hope your receiver comes down with it. You have to be accurate. Instead of having a three foot window, you might be lucky to have a one foot window.

Only time will tell if anyone will actually get to see whether or not he can be an NFL QB. That would mean he’d have to see the field first. Ryan Leaf may have been a bust but at least he played…a lot. That’s something Johnny Goofball hasn’t even been able to do yet.

34. I still can’t believe they drafted Johnny Manziel in the 1st round.

I still cant believe they drafted Brandon Weeden in the 1st round.

I still can’t believe they drafted Colt McCoy in the 3rd round.

Etc Etc Etc.

35. Johnny Footloose is too arrogant to garner any sympathy from me. Couldn’t care less about the guy. The enjoyment I get from the guy is laughing at him.

36. I hope he has a legendary, public relapse and his career explodes in a stupendous ball of flame.

37. Looking at Johnny strictly from a football perspective (ignoring the possibility he’ll fall off the wagon, etc.), he needs to work harder (MUCH harder), he needs to work on his passing accuracy, and most of all he needs to learn to stay in the pocket instead of running around like a startled squirrel every time a D-lineman comes near him. The running-around stuff worked in college, but son, the NFL ain’t college. Look at the best NFL QBs: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. Do they run around like squirrels, or do they stand in the pocket and throw strikes? Johnny needs to change his game. I’m not sure he can un-learn the tendency to tuck it and run, but if he can’t, he’ll soon be a talking head on College Gameday, reliving his college days and hoping nobody brings up his brief, embarrassing time in the NFL.

38. I am very happy that my buddy J Money Manziel is out of rehab because i sure am tired of going to the clubs by myself! See you on Sat night hommie!

39. Don’t worry….

A couple months ago, I took it upon myself to sign Johnny Rehab up for the MPA..(Manning Passing Academy). Hoping that will help him.

Johnny Rehab…. July 9-12 you better be there! I paid for you to go and signed you up! Hoping that will help you evolve into a better qb, and that you will become more humble and stay out of trouble like Peyton does. He doesn’t have any “Peyton Money” trademarks or any garbage like that.. Learn from someone who is leaving a good impression on his career (except for only 1 superbowl win). But learn from guys like him. They put their football first.

40. Everyone was young once, and made their share of mistakes. Let’s see what happens during camp, whether he stays on the right path or not. Then if he doesn’t work out, oh well. But at least give him a fair chance.

41. theghostofottograham says:Apr 11, 2015 1:24 PM

VERY true statement sir. Now is when it gets touugh for him. He is going to have to say goodbye to his former party life and maybe cut ties with the people he used to party with. Like you said you learn everything you need to be sucessful in rehab but once a person leaves that environment is when you are truly tested. It is going to be a tough road for him and now it is up to him to take what he learned there and apply it to his life.