NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson

AP

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been reinstated after his suspension for abusing his son.

Peterson, who played in only one game last year after he was indicted for beating his 4-year-old son with a switch, is back in the NFL as of tomorrow. That will make him free to return to the Vikings — or to some other team, if the Vikings trade him.

“Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings was advised today that effective tomorrow he is reinstated as an active NFL player and may participate in all scheduled activities with the Vikings,” the NFL said in a statement.

“In a letter from Commissioner Roger Goodell, Peterson was informed that he is expected to fulfill his remaining obligations to the authorities in Minnesota and Texas, as well as the additional commitments Peterson made during his April 7 meeting with the commissioner regarding maintaining an ongoing program of counseling and treatment as recommended by medical advisors.

“Beyond the requirement to comply with his court obligations and plan of counseling, Peterson was reminded that his continuing participation in the NFL depends on his avoidance of any further conduct that violates the Personal Conduct Policy or other NFL policies. Any further violation of the Personal Conduct Policy by Peterson would result in additional discipline, which could include suspension without pay or banishment from the NFL.

“Peterson was suspended without pay last November 18 for the remainder of the 2014 NFL season for violating the NFL Personal Conduct Policy in an incident of abusive discipline that he inflicted on his four-year-old son last May. Peterson pled no contest on November 4 in state court in Montgomery County, Texas to reckless assault of the child.”

It remains unclear whether Peterson will return to the Vikings, as he has indicated that he would like a fresh start elsewhere. But the NFL has now made clear that Peterson is welcome to return to the league.

141 responses to “NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson

1. I expect him to have a huge 2015. I also expect a lifetime ban by 2018. This Dude has no empathy and still doesn’t feel like he’s done anything wrong.

2. Dingle balls needs to get his butt in line and kiss up to the fans and team mates that he let down while he continued to get paid last year for doing nothing. I wish I could get a year off with pay. Ponder got paid for doing nothing too but that is a different story.

3. Adrian be like:

– Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings was advised today that effective tomorrow he is reinstated as an active NFL player –

“WOO HOO!”

– and may participate in all scheduled activities with the Vikings. –

“Aw…”

4. Banishment from the NFL is what should happen to ANY player, coach or office personnel who is convicted of ANY type of abuse/assault, whether a child, wife, girlfriend or even a fellow player.

At least now the Vikings can get rid of Peterson and move on. My bet says he is traded within the next 24 hours, possibly as soon as 6p tonight central time. Any takers??

5. As a close friend of the organization I would just like to say that the Vikings should keep this guy unless they’re getting a Herschelesque prize in return.

Usually RBs have bad season following a 200+ carry year.
    How about a MVP RB who had essential ZERO wear last year with a ton to prove?

I’d lock them in for the playoffs if he comes back a Viking.

(so long as he can run around that babtunde guy!)

6. That takes care of 50% of posters stating he wouldn’t return. Now, the Vikings will restructure his contract for guaranteed money and another 49% of posters will be wrong as well.

7. Fake French Accent says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:09 PM

Get your purple #28 jerseys ready.
    ================

Why? The Vikings announce a date to trade a Peterson jersey for that of a player with actual common sense and morals???

8. Let’s just hope corporate sponsors are ready to accept him back. While I think he had paid dearly for what he did, I think the sponsors need to shut up and get in line with he paid his debt. Our society wants to be a nation of second chances I think he deserves one so let’s see if the sponsor’s do to?

9. I say keep him unless you can get a #1 and a starter from the team.

If he wants to play elsewhere, make him earn it by playing hard this year and see what happens. If he purposely tanks it, what team would give him any kind of a contract?

I think he can help the team a lot on the field if he plays to win.

10. Great the Child abuser, who showed not one ounce of contrition, is back. What can the NFL do for me, it’s all about Adrian. You are signed to theVikings for 3 more years, so please stop making threats, that you want to be traded. You have zero leverage. Vikings own you Bitch.

11. jjb0811 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

—————-

He is already on that team

12. “It remains unclear whether Peterson will return to the Vikings, as he has indicated that he would like a fresh start elsewhere. But the NFL has now made clear that Peterson is welcome to return to the league”
    *************************************************
    He didn’t say that, He said he was ready for a fresh Start, which could mean anything!
    Either with the Vikings, or elsewhere, the FACT is
    It boils down to the MINNESOTA VIKINGS decision,
    NOT Peterson’s, where he plays for the next 3 years.
    Get your facts straight..
    But Peterson is walking a thin rope with the Vikings fans, the ONLY steadfast ally he has had the last 7 months. I hope he realizes that.

13. As much as I dislike him as a person, it was time for him to be reinstated. Now, I just hope we can get at least a 3rd round pick for him. I don’t want this locker room cancer anywhere near my beloved purple. Plus, he’s 30.

14. Peterson has almost no trade value with the salary he has and the PR nightmare for any team that did trade for him. Its laughable to think that anyone would give up much of anything for him.

15. Okay, Rick Spielman, the shackles are off. Let’s see if you have a few kernels of magic feed corn left and turn this overinflated ego into a couple of high picks.

16. Reinstatement clears another hurdle for trading AP.

It would also be in AP’s interest to do as the Vikings want him to in terms of the off-season program. This gives the Vikings more trade leverage to gain the compensation the Vikings need to trade him.

If the Vikings don’t get adequate compensation, AP will not be traded. So, if that’s what he wants, or if he doesn’t, his best move is to do as the Vikings ask of him.

17. jjb0811 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

He is already a Viking! Sounds done….lol

18. If I was Minnesota I’d take a 2nd rounder for the next three years for him. He wants to go? Let him go, but don’t try to ask for so much it kills any interest. Let him be someone else’s headache and enjoy the cap room.

19. seapoeschl says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:11 PM

Let the chaos in MN begin. Perfect timing, right before the draft starts.

—————–

As a fan for 40+ years, I can assure you there is always chaos with this franchise.

20. jjb0811 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

==============================
    jjb0811…he’s already with a bottom dwelling team…no need to trade him

21. My bet says he is traded within the next 24 hours, possibly as soon as 6p tonight central time. Any takers??
    —–
    Put me down for $1,000 that you’re wrong.

22. jjb0811 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

They already did that. It is called Minnesota.

23. pervyspankspackfans says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:26 PM
    In related news… Dom Capers just messed his drawers…

Just how many Super Bowl rings do the Vikings have? Adrian Peterson? I don’t recall the presence of the child beater to have made them a contender.

24. I don’t want this locker room cancer anywhere near my beloved purple
    —-
    Then I have great news for you…he has never been a locker room cancer. The players and coaches love him.

25. jjb0811 says:Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

———————————————
    He’s already there.

26. Perfect timing! If trading is an option it forces the Viking to do so right now for picks to be used next week! If his disciplining of his son prevents the kid from becoming another jailhouse statistic then it’s worth the discipline. More Dad’s need to be involved and if necessary discipline kids. America has become a Nation of softies and will run to the legal system for everything.

27. jjb0811 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

————–

So………ship him to the Vikings?

28. Well, now that we can’t bitch about the NFL, we have to sit back and watch the shenanigans. I think instead I’ll watch hockey — we have one of those pro teams in MN.

29. jjb0811 says:Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

===============================

He’s already on the Minnesota Vikings

30. AZ ready. Bidwill has his private jet ready to go. Vikes get AZ 2nd round and 3rd round picks. AP redoes his deal to get cap friendly with AZ…and he’s teamed up with Carson Palmer, Fitz, Floyd and an O line led by Iupati and Veldheer. I can’t wait.

31. Ridiculous that he lost one year of his career over the league playing the PR game and trying to tell him how to raise his kid

32. I dont see how a child abuser should be allowed to play in the NFL. Bad decision to let him back in..

33. Blame the liberal media and unions! The NFL’s hands were tied due to labor laws, the left-slanted NLRB, and the left-wing media who wanted AP reinstated so that they could bash the NFL for reinstating a child abuser.

How is AP blameless here? HE is the one who beat his kid.

Next time a player hits his kid, I hope the NFL bans him for life immediately, with 100% salary cap relief given to his team. Maybe, just maybe, that will keep idiot players in line.

34. “He” has not said that he would like to continue his career elsewhere. His “agent” said that. “He” has just said that “He” is just anxious to start a new chapter.

35. whereyaat says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:16 PM
    “Incoming call from Mr. Jones for Mr. Wolf.”

– Vikings receptionist

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who is this “Wolf” guy? First name Big, middle name Bad?

Oh, you mean the Vikings owner, Zygi Wilf.

Gotcha…

36. The last big trade the Vikings did was for Percy Harvin
    They Drafter Cordaryl Patterson, see how that worked out?
    If they trade him for a single #1 and they Draft another RB It wont be a good trade for MN, If they
    get a #low 2 and 3 they should Take a CB with their Pick #11, then trade up back into the first round WR , with their 2 #2’s, and O line #3.. This draft would fill a lot of voids and take a HUGE step in quality and Youth in places of need. The RB Position did well enough last year.
    Minnesota has done very well with 25 Players
    still on the team that they drafted, this is one of the highest in the league. With the Seahawks and Bengals

37. I, for one, am sick and tired of the continuing saga with Adrian Peterson.

Enough, already!!!!!!!!!!

38. Ship him to some bottom dwelling team where he’ll get run to death and be stuck in mediocrity for his whole career.

==================================

Ahhhhh, isn’t that his current situation or am I missing something?

39. God forbid if the Pats end up with this guy. If the Patriots get this guy, they win 3 more before Brady retires. And I AM NOT a Pats fan. Just stating an obvious fact, Brady & AP = unstoppable.

40. jjb0811 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

**********************************************************************************************************************

BEEN THERE.

DONE THAT.

41. You don’t trade the best RB in the league, especially when he has something to prove. This guy was already an animal on the field, he will be even more motivated. I fear for my Bears when they play the Vikings this year. He is going to be running wild.

42. AP is better than RG3, maybe try a trade to the Skins. They’ll give up 3 first rounders for him.

43. The US liberal media/press juggernaut attacked AP without him even being tried in a court of law . The same type of unprecedented liberal agenda that is now attacking the United States police force, declaring police guilty by way of 5-10 second video clip releases. AP likely was in the wrong to discipline his child in an overly forceful manner, but let there be NO DOUBT that his one year absence was a direct result of the liberal media/press attack on the NFL of 2014. Glad to see him back in uniform for the Vikings. Please, everyone reading this BE AWARE of the current state of liberal bias among the US media outlets, with NBC being the most blatant instigator. I have faith in the brilliant minds of some American people still, and their ability to see through this charade of propaganda that the liberal media is waging against our minds.

44. “Incoming call from Mr. Jones for Mr. Wolf.”

– Vikings receptionist
    =====

Huh. I’d have thought the Vikes’ receptionist would know her boss’ name is “Wilf,” not “Wolf.”

45. Shame on the NFL and on the Vikings. AP is a child abuser and should be in jail. And shame on all of you who support his return to the NFL. You have forgotten what he put his child through, but I guarantee you his child hasn’t forgotten. That kind of abuse does permanent psychological damage to some kids.

46. dryzzt23 says:Apr 16, 2015 2:52 PM

How is AP blameless here? HE is the one who beat his kid.

You must be kidding me : Next time a player hits his kid, I hope the NFL bans him for life immediately

Dont discipline your kids when they need it and they will grow up to be disrespectful animals …we have seen this happen many times. Christ I’m 56 years old and we got the crap beat out of us when we messed up …I know things where different back then but we grew up with respect. If I did what his kid did believe me there would be hell to pay from my father. I’m not saying I would have gotten a wippin like that but it would have real close.

47. For all non-Vikings’ fans: “Silence!” You all wish that your favorite football team had an Adrian Peterson caliber running back; but you don’t .. All of you are so jealous and hope for the Great28 to be dealt to your team .. But the reality is now AP is back on the playing field with Touchdown Teddy, Babs the Beast, CJ, CP, MW, Kyle & Rhett .. and they’re all hungry for their next meal: The NFC North Division Title .. I can’t wait for this years Vikings team to shove it down everyone’s throat! Skol!

48. For as talented as he is, if I were a GM with half a brain (thus eliminating Spielman), I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my locker room because of his attitude.

And at $12 million salary (and $15 million agains the cap), that is a very expensive disease. You are better cutting out the cancer and taking your lumps now. Its not like this is the year for the Vikings anyway, what can they realistically do? Finish .500?

49. He should have been thrown out of the NFL.

HE BEAT HIS KIDS!!!!! Not that hard to understand, people.

50. For all of you folks who say he has shown no signs of contrition or remorse,….. how do you know that? Seriously do you live next door or something? or do you just like throwing stones?

51. ADRIAN,
    I’d have more respect for you if you just said I appreciate the Vikings supporting me with my biggest screw-up, but to be honest I would love to move on to another team and get a fresh start.

You have no chops Peterson.

52. A lot of people assume Adrian Peterson will get traded to the Cowboys, but I bet it will be an AFC team that trades for him……..wait and see.

53. i think he get traded, and for a lot less than Vikings fans are hoping. 30 yrs old, expensive even with a new contract, baggage, lack of suitors with the cap space, lack of suitors who need a RB, lack of suitors who need a 2 or 3 year player, lack of teams he’s willing to do a new contract for. And the big one…all GMs know they would be getting a guy who will be suspended or banished for one more slip up, and will be watched like a hawk by the NFL.

If traded, Arizona is the only place that kind of makes sense. Short but real Super Bowl window with Palmer and Fitz, supposedly on AP’s short list of places he’s willing to restructure for, Keim the GM loves him and has listed RB as a big need, Keim made moves to make the needed cap available. But without several bidders, the Vikings will have to do the best they can in trade or just walk from the table and enjoy paying for a locker room nightmare.

54. I get a kick out of how clueless some people are. The major problem with those of you who think the Vikings are forced to trade AP is that AP LOVES football. The vikes can just say play for us or play for no one like the Lions did with Barry Sanders. Barry retired. AP is beyond ready to play some football because he loves it. He doesn’t know how to “tank it” or be a “locker room nightmare” like the diva WR’s. He only knows one way to play and that is 100% all the time and the Vikings know that. They are going to get a draft haul for him or he will be back with the Vikings. Period. End of story. They aren’t going to give him away or release him.

55. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:13 PM

Now the real fun begins. Gonna get me some popcorn and enjoy the show.

duece5 says:

Carly, you have seen the show up close and personal.

All Day is your packer nightmare.

If he could only play 16 games against the packers, he would nearly have All-time rushing record.

Peterson is a packer killer……..time for part 2 of YOUR NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

56. what a horrible human being. beating your babies until they bleed a week later, not once but twice (and likely more times). he should be gone for life.

57. Ship him to some bottom dwelling team where he’ll get run to death and be stuck in mediocrity for his whole career.
    ———————————————————-
    Where do you think he’s been his entire career?

58. tritz32 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 4:47 PM

Remember when the Vikings lost a 1st round draft pick because they couldn’t get it in on time?

HAHAHAHA!!! SKOL!!!

duece5 says:

Yep, the chiefs”beat” us up there,and the chiefs took a dud, and we got perennial All-Pro Kevin Williams!

It all worked out,and no we didn’t lose a 1st rounder……hello!!!!!

59. You people condemning Peterson for disciplining his son (excessively, I’ll admit) are probably the same people who looked the other way when Bush, Cheney, Obama et al. committed war crimes. Hypocrites!

60. whatjusthapped says:
    Apr 16, 2015 3:34 PM

duece5 says>

Oh, the packer troll whatjushapped, a little whiny today, as it is sinking in that Peterson will unleash his most unbelievable season to date, and will probably run for over 200+ yards/game against the packer “defense”.

It is the ultimate respect for packer trolls to be whiny about “how can the Vikings afford to keep Peterson”……..blah blah blah.

We will have our popcorn ready, and packer fans will be hiding under the sheets…….YOUR NIGHTMARE IS COMING THIS FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be rated AD28……..

61. The media is like an orchestra director with AP articles and we commentators are the band.

62. I wish the Vikings would win a Super Bowl just to shut these Packer trolls up.

63. “Peterson was informed that he is expected to fulfill his remaining obligations to the authorities in Minnesota and Texas”

The Texas (read DALLAS) part may turn out to mean more than we think.

64. It cracks me up when people post “one more slip up and he is banished for life”.

It isn’t like he had 2-3 DUI’s and needed chemical dependency treatment. He disciplined his child once and paid the price. One mistake.

Of course, people will always want to take down those greater than them…it’s called jealousy.

65. .. AP is back in the backfield again, girls .. All Lions, Packers & Bears fans say “Oh My!” .. Sorry, should had won it last year when he was out .. Funny how we (Vikings nation) were still in the playoff hunt at week 14 w/o our star player, no running game, banged-up O line, a rookie QB and new coaching staff .. Now seriously, what do you think is going to happen this year?
    .. No need for presumptive trade talk .. Trade this, pick that, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3 3rd rounders .. It’s not happening .. Spielman has already spoken .. The Vikings have their #1 RB for the upcoming season .. and he’s better, not to mention fresher, than any other teams RB ..
    Ok, he made a huge mistake .. I’m not denouncing such, but seriously, how many of you “bloggers” are mistake-free, sin-less, PERFECT? He’s human, we all make mistakes, learn from what we did wrong and move on to be a better person .. Over half of “us” bloggers have committed an act that was not appropriate in life by Holy standards .. I’m so tired of everyone using his crime as a definition of who this man is .. What crimes are you guilty of? Is it judging others? .. Oh, ok ..

66. axesbluestar says:
    Apr 16, 2015 3:26 PM

“Incoming call from Mr. Jones for Mr. Wolf.”

– Vikings receptionist
    =====

======

The call was meant for Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction. That guy can fix any mess.

67. For those thinking the NFL should not reinstate him, look in the mirror. Hard. Why, because its your government that was to easy on him. And I know you didn’t do anything about it. Did you call your legislator and demand tougher laws. Doubt it. Governor’s office. nope. Then you’re all talk and just as guilty.

68. Adrian Peterson reinstated by the NFL and allowed to participate in all scheduled activities but as punishment is not allowed to participate in any post season activities (ie. he must remain with the Vikings). Worst franchise in professional sports and inferior to both the Timberwolves and Twins.

69. vicnocal says:
    Apr 16, 2015 2:46 PM

==================================
    Yeah. Just like Ray Rice with the league trying to tell him how to treat a woman.

No one should tell AP how to raise his kid. If he wants to hit him in the genitals and beat his legs bloody, that’s his business. After all, children are just a possession and parents should be able to do anything they want with them, even if it results in injuries or death.

70. Don’t care. He beat his kid – that he is supposed to love – bloody with a switch. That behavior is fine, 60 years ago and there is no way to say you are sorry.

71. somatg3 says:
    Apr 16, 2015 4:46 PM

——————–

AP could always pull an Haynesworth and just not try that hard. He would still be playing and still getting paid, but he would just give it 50%.

72. bonniebengal says:
    Apr 16, 2015 5:30 PM
    I wish the Vikings would win a Super Bowl just to shut these Packer trolls up

I can help you. Take any NFL video game, select Super Bowl, select two player option. Select the Vikings with your controller, let the other controller sit. Maybe you can win by 3. There’s your (only) Super Bowl victory. SKOL………….

73. I don’t care where the brother ends up playing. He’s a stud, and aside from the NFL could be a top male model…I mean just imagine it, how many gifts were bestowed on one man..speed, tenacity, good looks…wealth, fame…is there little wonder women are lined up round the block?

Take your shot haters….you know you wish you had his life!