The Bills made a big move up the draft board last year to get wide receiver Sammy Watkins in the first round, but General Manager Doug Whaley said Monday that such a move is unlikely this time around.
The Watkins deal is a big part of the reason why the Bills are likelier to drop down from the 50th overall pick, their earliest selection this year, than they are to try to get into the mix earlier. Trading for Watkins cost them their first- and fourth-round picks this year, leaving them with two selections in the first four rounds of the draft.
“We’re going to set up our board where we’ll put a demarcation line where if we see guys fall — and we think we have a chance to go up and get, and we would consider it — but I’ll tell you right now, with the lack of ammunition, I would highly, highly doubt that we [trade up],” Whaley said, via ESPN.com. “We’d be more prone to listen to offers to move back from 50 and pick up more picks, but again, I will never say never.”
Ruling out a move in any direction makes no sense at this point in the proceedings, but it’s difficult to see the Bills adding to their two picks in the first two days. Given their lack of picks this year, any move up the order would leave them in a similar position heading into next year’s draft while moving down would given them more selections to round out the depth on their 2015 roster.