As Shane Ray’s stock plummets, talk that he could fall to Round 4

Getty Images

Just a few weeks ago, stories about Missouri pass rusher Shane Ray routinely called him a potential Top 5 pick. That now feels like a long time ago.

Ray’s draft stock began to fall when teams showed increasing concern about a foot injury he suffered in the final game of his college career, and now his stock has plummeted so severely that there’s talk that Ray not only won’t go in the first round, but might not even go in the second or third rounds. According to former Buccaneers General Manager Mark Dominik, Ray’s recent marijuana citation makes it possible that Ray won’t be drafted until the fourth round.

“This changes Shane Ray dramatically because it’s, to me, such a poor decision this close to the draft. It’s the decision making. What is this guy going to do on Friday or Saturday night before a big game? Is he going to make another poor choice like this? The timing is so bad, and the foot issue, tells me that this guy isn’t just dropping out of the first round, he’s dropping to the third or fourth round now,” Dominik said on Mike & Mike. “I know he’s dropping out of the first round. I don’t see any way he’s going in the first round.”

Ray has likely lost many millions of dollars in the last few weeks.

99 responses to “As Shane Ray’s stock plummets, talk that he could fall to Round 4

1. Good thing he wasn’t invited to the draft party. He’d probably shown up high. What a chucklehead.

2. No chance he falls to round 4. Him and 95% of the NFL are smoking weed. Teams will put him in a drug program where he will be tested all the time.

3. I see a similar free fall for Randy Gregory. He may not fall that far but I can see him going in the early second.

4. There is absolutely ZERO chance he drops to the 4th round.

If I had to bet, I’d say he still gets chosen in the 1st.

Talent. Trumps. Everything.

5. Sucks for him…sure he’ll be kicking himself for the rest of his life for a stupid mistake.

6. Yeah right. He is still going in the 1st round. 20-25 at the latest. The 4th round? C’mon. Let’s just get to Thursday already.

7. Shoot. if Shane Ray is available in the 2nd round, my team better take him. rare talent that will be tearing up the league for the next 10 + years. Go Chiefs. We are still rooting for you Shane Ray.

8. I hope the youngster didn’t put all his eggs in on basket, because he will not make it in the NFL. He could have had a free college degree but he gave that up.

9. Indybear says:
    Apr 28, 2015 9:37 AM
    GM’s should be more concerned about the foot injury than the alleged drug use.
    **********************************************
    And his decision making ability.

10. It’s not so much the weed but the decision making. Why would you do something this stupid three days before the draft? You can question whether or not weed should be legal but you can’t question how stupid of a decision this is three days before the biggest day of your life.

11. Hopefully, stupid teams will pass on him just like they passed on Justin Houston for smoking weed before the draft. Weed really wrecked Justin Houston’s life didn’t it? It wrecked it so much that he’s about to break the bank–not to mention the single season sack record.

12. Sorry, I guess I am in the minority here.

If he had been caught driving under the influence of marijuana, I would agree that he done something really stupid and deserved to drop.

But he wasn’t. He got pulled over for an extremely minor (some would say bogus) offense, and the marijuana was simply in the car. An amount that someone would have on them if they were a recreational user. Has he ever failed a drug test?

To me, and again I realize I am in the minority, this is no different than getting caught with a six-pack in your car and people calling you a stupid drunk. When are we going to stop overreacting to marijuana?????

If I were a GM, I wouldn’t drop this kid one spot on my board unless there were other problems much, much worse than this.

13. Too bad the NFL does not take the same stance on Marijuana as our own government does, who rules for the people by the people, whom is legalizing the plant, yes plant,( how silly is that a damn natural herb is banned).for recreational uses all across the nation, not to mention medical reasons generations of humans have used for ions to relieve pain and stress and many, many other medical conditions, even the Egyptian Pharaoh’s had Marijuana in there tombs to help pass over to the side of the dead in there afterlife, so humans and Marijuana have co existed in every civilization in the history of man since we crawled from the Sea. But the commish thinks he knows better then God, our government, and common sense. Go Figure…

14. He’s my leading candidate to be the last guy in the green room this year.

When you’re considering a 1st-round pick you’re asking 4 questions: 1) did he translate talent to consistent production in college; 2) does he physically fit the mold for an NFL player at his projected position; 3) is he “clean” (character, making good choices on and off the field); 4) what’s his health history and current status?

Unfortunately for Shane, at this point the only box he checks is #1. Boxes 2, 3, and 4 are question marks at best and that does not IMO translate to 1st-round value. No one can take his college production away from him, but plenty of NFL GMs have lost their jobs because they drafted too many college stars whose productivity never translated to the next level.

15. Nothing is easier to detect than marijuana use, and it is detectable for 6 weeks plus.

The level of stupidity is astounding. Several millions of dollars he’ll never be able to get back … flushed, all just so this guy could “get high.” He can earn decent money later in his career, but quality NFL players general get 3 and occasionally 4 decent contracts, and he just squandered one costing him millions.

Wow.

16. Even if he still gets picked early in the 2nd rnd, he still cost himself 4-5 mil, although he’ll be a FA a yr earlier.

17. And Mark Dominik once again clearly shows why he’s a FORMER GM working at BSPN. He will likely drop now, but there’s NO WAY he gets out of the top of the second round, much less the fourth. Remind me again why ANYBODY listens to the guy who ruined the Buccanneers so completely that he’s the reason WHY they’re drafting #1 overall?

18. Justin Blackmon, Josh Gordon, Shane Ray! Whoever drafts Shane Ray better have good language in the contract to avoid losing the signing bonus money when Ray is suspended indefinitely after his second or third drug related incident…

19. Bull.
    Pass rushers are third on the totem pole after QB, LT.

Danielle Hunter, LSU. Good player, second round.

You are on the clock with the 50th pick overall and could stand to improve your rush. Maybe NYG (don’t care what their actual pick #is).

Shane or Danielle? Thought so.

I’d be fine with Dallas taking him at 27, with all the incredulousness of Allen Iverson (talking about misdemeanor pot citation) at his “Talking about practice. Practice?” presser.

20. But all he did was have a little weed and its legal in a lot of state.

at a time when all they have to do is stay clean, too many young men still choose to make bad decisions.
    yes they are young but this is audition time and even though its is hard to improve your stock between pro days and draft, you sure can screw it up.
    to those who say the nfl rules are unfair about weed I say this. take your education and find a job in the public sector that will let you smoke your weed. but try finding one that pays 7 figures a year. he’ll be drafted way before the 4th round but top ten and the dollars that go with it, are gone.

21. Its weed. 90% of you commenters smoke it. Your favorite player smokes it. Your parents more than likely smoked it. Your doctor, boss and kids smoke it. Stop being hypocrites.

Is he an idiot? yes. Is 35 grams a little much as a personal sack? yes.

Draft him where his talent puts him

22. dougchillin says:
    Apr 28, 2015 9:29 AM

——————————————————————-

I don’t think that GM’s honestly really care about a player smoking weed. What they care about is getting popped 2 days before the draft starts

Look, weed should be legal, but it’s not. and considering that It is basically tolerated everywhere, you generally have to do something really stupid to get busted with it.

It’s like when people fail pre employment drug tests- It’s not that you smoke that people really care about, it’s the fact that you can’t lay off the Ganj for 3 weeks so you can pass a drug test that people care about.

23. Jets will get Kevin White with their 1st rd pick, then Shane Ray with their 2nd rd pick.

J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

24. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Apr 28, 2015 9:46 AM

Sorry, I guess I am in the minority here.

that a fair argument, I suppose, but he did fail a drug test in college, now is it an overreaction

25. It’s tough at this point. Ray was no sure thing top 10 guy talent wise either. He’s a bit of a tweener who only had one great year. Between the foot and the decision making it makes it tough for any new or in established GM to gamble on him and to a greater extent their job by taking him in the first. I see him falling to mid second territory on a combination of the foot, the idiocy, and the fact you can argue Beasley, Fowler, Gregory, Dupree may all be as good or better players.

26. Whatever round he will be drafted in, it won’t be the 1st. It will be the 2nd probably. Down to the 4th? Nope. Still he was so stupid for doing what he did. Maybe everyone smokes it, but only a knucklehead would do it before the big game, that being the draft. Decision making like this is a red flag.

27. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:
    Apr 28, 2015 9:48 AM
    Nothing is easier to detect than marijuana use, and it is detectable for 6 weeks plus. The level of stupidity is astounding.
    stevedenetz says:

Apr 28, 2015 9:56 AM
    But all he did was have a little weed and its legal in a lot of state. this young man cost himself 10 million dollars. his future employer, the NFL, does not allow you to smoke weed. How unfair you say. this is a reality check. Many employees don’t want their employees smoking weed and occasionally test for that. this shows bad judgment.

======

I will assume you both realize that he didn’t fail a drug test and was not high when he was pulled over.

So what we actually have here is a kid who is a recreational marijuana user who so far has shown to be SMART enough to; 1) not fail a drug test, and 2) not get high and drive.

28. If the eagles stay at 20 and he is there, and IF he can switch to an OLB i would take him in 2 seconds… i have full faith, like most of the nfl this guy will beat the tests for pot lol

29. It’ll be funny to hear Skip and Steven A. get all moral and lecture about this, after the way they kissed Ray’s butt on their show last week.

Skip: “Tsk tsk, Shane, and Jeepers!”

Steven: “Yo! Tsk tsk, bro!”

30. Stock plummeting further because of weed? I can’t wait until the generation born before 1960 is completely eradicated from positions of power. Seriously, get over it. If alcohol is legal there’s no reason marijuana shouldn’t be. Ugh.

31. It kind of reminds me of Everson Griffen, who was considered to have first-round talent but went in the fourth round because of off the field issues. It took a couple of years for Griffen to figure it out, but now he’s one of the best defensive ends in football. Some guys don’t figure it out, though.

32. If this guy is stupid enough to do this this close to the draft, he don’t have brains enough to make it in the NFL.

33. I’d say he’ll go in the 4th round as the 20th pick.

But seriously, who cares if he smokes pot? Some of you need to get out once and a while….

34. I pray for the day when a natural, non-addictive painkiller imbibed the Friday before the game isn’t a failed anything, and is intelligently seen as a good decision.

35. topcide says:

=======

He didn’t get popped for smoking weed. He got popped for a “lane violation” (a very dubious charge cops typically use to justify pulling over whoever they want). The weed just happened to be in the car. He was not high at the time and has never failed a drug test.

If he is a casual, recreational marijuana user, why would he be worried about having a small bag of marijuana on him two days before the draft? Do they do drug testing backstage on draft night?

He passed his combine test and every other test he’s ever taken for marijuana, which says to me that he is a very casual user who knows exactly when he can and can’t afford to smoke.

36. Some of you just don’t get it. It is not the use of pot in and of it self. It is the lack of judgment and character it shows that he would be so utterly stupid to use it at this particular point in time. It is kids like this that later put themselves ahead of the team and end up as busts or locker-room problems.

37. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Apr 28, 2015 10:04 AM

ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:
    Apr 28, 2015 9:48 AM
    stevedenetz says:

Apr 28, 2015 9:56 AM

======

………………………..

check your facts.. he did fail a drug test in college

38. But…but….you all keep saying that “weed doesn’t HURT anyone”.

Well weed has killed this kids chances of getting drafted …HIGH…LMAO….I couldn’t resist.

If I’m a potential employer, I don’t care if he’s a “casual” user or not. If his stupid choice to smoke weed might limit his playing time due to suspensions, thus affecting the team, then I must conclude that this kid is dumb and he has no place on my team.

Weed leads to coke, which leads to crack, meth, heroin, etc. Users are always seeking a better high. THAT is why NFL teams should steer clear of ANY kid who smokes weed.

39. “FORMER BUCS GM”

Not the current one guys.

Have you seen Ray’s combine #s? Not great. Plus Injury concerns. Plus Weed. He only started 1 year. Hmmm

40. Draft him where his talent puts him
    ———————–
    Raiders (JaMarcus), Chargers (Leaf), Rams (Phillips) and Jaguars (Blackmon) fans beg to differ.

41. The shot that resulted in his ejection from the SEC Championship game had to have already drawn serious questions. You can’t let your teammates down in such a big game without folks wondering what you are all about.

42. There are just too many potheads in the NFL and in the general public to have this make a difference.

I don’t use pot myself, and I don’t think pot brings any benefits to society in general , but if Shane Ray is available when the Chargers pick at #17, and they pass him by . . .

By the way, I don’t need any heartwarming stories about somebody you know who smokes pot and how it changed his or her life or how your little town has been revived economically because of pot sales.

43. This guy is an idiot for sure, but the majority of players in the NFL are smoking weed. Have been for decades. When I was 16, I worked at bowling alley near Lake Forest, IL…I would arrive for work after school to find players from a local professional football team, on the same day of the week, every week, getting out of their cars to go in and bowl together…smoke exiting their car along with them, and the sweet stinky smell that accompanies high end marijuana. This was in season. That opened my eyes that they can get away with it if they are smart enough to pay attention.

Ray did something stupid because he knows the deal right now, a career and life changing money riding on it…and did it anyway. That’s just dumb. Don’t draft him just for that reason alone.

44. At hypothetical combine interview:

Shane do you smoke marijuana?

Yes sir. I like to have a few puffs now and again. I also like to drink a few beers. I use both in a responsible way.

Why would a team drop him to the 4th round if they already knew he smoked marijuana.

45. dryzzt23 says:
    Apr 28, 2015 10:26 AM

——————————————————————
    Your first two sentences are purely opinion. I know plenty of people that never moved on from marijuana to anything else. Why not condemn alcohol? Alcohol leads to those others too by your rationale, and hurts more people in this country every day. But that would be lazy, everyone who drinks alcohol doesn’t necessarily move on to other chemicals. Just like pot. Addiction is a mental disease first, the drug of choice is secondary. Please spare everyone your dime store psychology.

46. Don’t know what else to add except to agree that he was incredibly stupid to do this 3 days before the draft.
    To those who keep whining about whether or nor MJ should be legal, take it to another board – it’s not relevant here. This is about decision making and trustworthiness – not about the wonderful new things that legalizing MJ can bring to our society.
    Having said that – this is also about whether or not the dude can play. If he falls to the Ravens and he is the top player on Ozzie’s board – the Ravens will take him.

Go Oz

47. He got busted for possession of a small quantity. Which is already legal in several states. Still stupid on his part, but at least he had enough sense to not be driving impaired. The much bigger deal is his foot. Dominik is just doing what he can to get him in a later round.

48. JOSH GORDON 2.0….. He’s no automatically got a strike with the substance abuse program! Hasn’t even played a snap yet… Keeps this up and good bye Shane Ray! We’ve all seen this story before and very recently… Such a shame that weed is so much more important than fulfilling a childhood dream!

49. I very much doubt that he falls out of the 1st round. I suspect his draft stock won’t have changed at all following this.

I’d be surprised if he’s still there by the time the Steelers are on the board at #21.

50. Seattle will take him at 31…we aren’t as stupid about pot use as a team in say…Texas Or Florida.

Just afraid the Broncos will take him first.

51. Hope the stupid idiot enjoys smoking all the millions he lost because of marijuana. Good for him.

52. Same thing happened to this dude out of Miami 20 years ago. The mock drafts had him in the top 1 or 2 picks, but rumors of pot use came out the night before the draft, and he suddenly dropped way down into the laps of the lucky Tampa Bay Bucs. While it is true that that young man did turn out to be an a$$, he also played DT in 7 pro bowls and is in the Hall of Fame.

53. He was busted with 35 grams of marijuana, while I believe it should be legalized for many reasons this is just plain stupid. 35 grams is about a ounce and a quarter, that is quite a bit of weed to be carrying around with you. Why jeopardize your future? Cmon man get a brain.

54. What a breathtaking mistake…if he doesn’t pan out he lost that entire nest egg to provide for himself and his family…if he has one hiccup a 4th round grade would encourage someone to cut him or practice squad him, what a damn shame.

55. This is 2015 and weed is far more accepted than when Warren Sapp fell in the 90s. Not only does Ray not fall to the fourth he wont fall out of the first. If he is there at 14 I would hope my Dolphins pick him.

56. I’ve questioned his decision-making ever since he got himself kicked out of the Alabama game for the SEC championship.

Why have weed in the ride? Didn’t he know the risk he was taking? I remember being young and taking chances, but I think he learned a bit about risk-reward.

kcflake has it right: Round 2 to KC.

57. His stock was already dropping when he made this latest bonehead move. Some team out there may be willing to take a chance on him in the 3rd, but no team wants an “off field problem” to blow up in their face, or a player with such poor judgement that he could wind up suspended. If I was a GM I would only take him as a UFA and have him on a very, very short leash until he could prove to me that he was worthy of the team’s trust.

Sure, “everybody smokes weed”…”but it’s just a harmless plant”… “it’s no different than having a couple of beers”… “it’s gonna be legal everywhere real soon”. So I guess you don’t mind if the pilot on your next flight or the surgeon about to take out your gall bladder has a few tokes before getting to work. What the heck. It’s just a harmless plant, right?

58. And you wonder why Mark Dominic is on TV. If he falls anywhere, it won’t be past the late first just because of the foot. No NFL team cares if he got caught smoking 50 blunts as long as he’s not in the program, and they will make sure he knows how to stay clean until the window every year so he can smoke until his heart’s content. He’s a pass rusher, still outside of QB and CB, the most coveted position in the NFL. The fact that Missouri has sent quite a few good ones to the NFL in recent years only helps him stay in the first round. My guess is he doesn’t slip past 20, only for the foot concerns.

59. I’d wager Gregory’s agent paid the officer to create this issue before the draft. That forces the 1st OLB/DE hungry team to decide between these 2 with the same issue, and Gregory was considered better prior to the report of the failed THC test at the combine…which was months ago, not now. Being selected 10 slots higher gains Gregory Millions.

60. No way he drops that far. He’s far too talented to go past the second. Some team will take that chance. C’mon Chargers, let’s snag him in round 2!

61. maybe it would be wise to drug test the people being interviewed before posting what they say. if hes serious about dropping ray to 4th round then its easy to see why he is a former gm