Missouri defensive end Shane Ray was cited for marijuana possession earlier this week, leading former Buccaneers General Manager Mark Dominik to say that he knows Ray will drop out of the first round as a result.
Ray spoke to NFL Media at a pre-draft event in Chicago and reiterated much of what he said in his post-arrest apology. He also said that he understands why teams would have a different opinion of him as a result of the arrest.
“With the timing of what happened, of course they would question my judgment,” Ray said. “All I can try to do is ensure the teams that I will grow from my mistake and I’ll continue to try and make better decisions.”
A drop down the board may be likely, but it may not be a particularly extreme one. Ray said Wednesday that he’s been getting “a little bit more interest” from teams who are picking in the late stages of the first round, which would be a lower landing spot than most people originally predicted but not the catastrophic drop that Dominik suggested in the wake of his run-in with the law.