Seahawks sign 34-year-old Green Beret Nate Boyer

AP

Moments after the NFL draft ended, the Seahawks signed an undrafted free agent whose story will be an inspiration to many.

Nate Boyer, a long snapper from Texas, is the newest member of the Seahawks. But Boyer is much more than that: He’s a 34-year-old who served with the Green Berets in Iraq and Afghanistan and had never played organized football at any level until he decided in his late 20s that he’d like to go to college and try playing football, and it occurred to him that learning to long snap could be a way to do that.

Boyer is a long shot to make an NFL regular-season roster, but he says he’s committed to putting in all the work it will take.

“I’m just thrilled to get an opportunity,” Boyer said on NFL Network. “This is the best athletes in the world, and just to get an opportunity and be able to compete, play for a great team in a great city, I couldn’t be more thrilled, just for the chance.”

It’s a chance Boyer has earned by following a long and winding path to the NFL.

57 responses to “Seahawks sign 34-year-old Green Beret Nate Boyer

1. We can all disagree about our team and such but I think we can all agree on three things.

1. This is a great story.
    2. Hawks are the class of the NFL.
    3.Hawks again won the draft.

2. Rooting for him to make it. Long-snappers have played into their late 30s; also, he doesn’t have a decade worth of football wear-and-tear.

3. Let’s hear as much about this as we did the domestic fiascos last season.

I love me some good news!!

4. Pitiful move by cheat Carroll. Obvious PR move, will cut him after training camp. He is there to have the media talk about a good story and take the attention away from the joke of a draft they had.

#bradjohnson

5. It’s a great story, and I hope the guy makes it.

However, the Seahawks resigned Clint Gresham to a new three year deal about a month ago. $2.7 million, $300K signing bonus. Pretty sure he’s not going anywhere.

6. Ah that’s nice. Sorry but it doesn’t make up for the classless PUNKS who mock-pooped on the football then started throwing haymakers when the Super Bowl didn’t go their way

7. Each team is assigned a limited pool of funds for signing bonuses with which to attract undrafted free agents. The Seahawks take their UDFA roster pretty seriously – Doug Baldwin was an UDFA, as was Jermaine Kearse. So there’s about a 0.0% chance that the team would simply throw away UDFA signing bonus dollars on a guy as a PR stunt. If they offered him a spot, it’s because they think he has a chance to make the team.

This is a great story and haters are just grasping at straws. Hate all you want about the Frank Clark pick (and as a Hawks fan, I have serious misgivings about it, because of the DV charge). But the Boyer signing is great. I hope that he catches on somewhere, whether it’s in Seattle or on another team.

8. 88ibis says:
    May 2, 2015 7:34 PM
    It’s a great story, and I hope the guy makes it.

——————————————————————-

Ask the Chargers and the Raiders a couple years back how they’d wished they’d had a backup plan for long snapper.

9. zeddicuszorander says:
    May 2, 2015 7:47 PM
    88ibis says:
    May 2, 2015 7:34 PM
    It’s a great story, and I hope the guy makes it.

——————————————————————-

___________

10. realitycheckbaby says:
    May 2, 2015 7:09 PM

1. This is a great story.
    2. Hawks are the class of the NFL.
    3.Hawks again won the draft.
    __________

I don’t think anyone agrees with numbers 2 or 3.

11. To the guy saying he is a big Seahawk fan but this is to counter the 2nd round pick stuff is probably a new fan.

Since Pete Carroll has arrived Seattle does evens regularly with the troops and community. He has military speakers in all the time, last year at VMAC they actually Marines jumping off helicopters into the lake. I guess we are all entitled to our option but I see it as pure class. Cool story, Go Hawks!

12. Pretty sure neither of those teams point to not having a back up long snapper as the reason their seasons ended in disappointment,

adriansswitch
    May 2, 2015, 4:58 PM PDT
    realitycheckbaby says:
    May 2, 2015 7:09 PM

1. This is a great story.
    2. Hawks are the class of the NFL.
    3.Hawks again won the draft.
    __________

I don’t think anyone agrees with numbers 2 or 3.
    ——-
    I do.

13. Giving this man “a chance” is the classiest move this franchise has ever done but it hardly over-shadows their plethora of “win at any cost” moves over the past 3 years. Huge thumbs up!

14. Seahawks continue to set the bar…on the field and now, by giving this young man an opportunity to pursue a dream. When you’re the best I guess you can afford to be generous! Best luck Nate Boyer, I have a feeling you’ll make it, you couldn’t be in a better place!
    Football fan first, long time Cards supporter and rival 🙂

15. tomjarrett says:

also, he doesn’t have a decade worth of football wear-and-tear.
    ========================================

The Special Forces Assessment and Selection course will give you a decades worth of wear and tear. 98% of NFL players couldn’t make it.

16. scmems07 says:
    May 2, 2015 7:30 PM

#bradjohnson

*******************

scmems07 is a Miami fan, and he trolls all Seattle articles. Now THAT is what I call “pitiful”!

17. realitycheckbaby says:
    May 2, 2015 7:09 PM

1. This is a great story.
    2. Hawks are the class of the NFL.
    3.Hawks again won the draft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Point one I will agree on.
    Can not and will not agree on point 2 or 3.

“Class of the NFL” wouldn’t lose the Superbowl due to an idiot call on the cusp of victory. Sorry, man.

And no team “wins the draft” – the only thing teams win are games, respect, and championships.

(And I say this as a Buffalo Bills fan, who seem to win none of the above far to often… 🙂 )

18. The comments on this thread is a prime example why the rest of the NFL can NOT stand Seahawk fans.

19. I think it’s great of them to sign him and give him a shot. But as for Seattle having class……I think saw how classless they were after they blew it in the Super Bowl. I think Seattle is a great football team, easily one of the best in the league right now, but as for class, sorry but the Seahawks probably have the least in the NFL. That’s why no class Cary Williams will end up being such a great fit.

20. If our kids could learn from role models like this guy we would not have the problems we have in the inner cities.. Black or white.. Kids need to look up to guys like this.. Granted he is a long snapper .. But he is signed and La’el Collins is in an interrogation box..

21. token pseudo patriotic NFL move that will mean nothing because theres no way he makes the roster.

The NFL can’t keep trotting out veterans to play on patriotism when they send their players to terrible injury and mayhem that is just as bad as any military PTSD.

22. Only reason has was drafted was because of his skin color. 34 year old rookie? This is worse than andy reid drafting that 27 year old fireman from baylor. All politics

23. ……guy is a true warrior. He may not make the team but im sure he will be a person his teammates will love having onn the team for the summer. Seahawks may just keep him around in some sort of team organizational capacity.

24. This is what Pete and John have done all along, which is give unique players a chance. They don’t give them a chance as charity but because they feel the player can help the team. Examples: Chris Mathews, Mike Williams, JR Sweezy, Brandon Browner, Jermaine Kearse, Doug Baldwin, Russell Wilson, Kam Chancellor, Red Bryant, Marshawn Lynch, Bruce Irvin, Richard Sherman,Chris Clemons, OB Schofield to name a few. All guys the Hawks got flake for and many experts criticized those players and questioned the Hawks methods. Inspiration , opportunity, fun and competition are what The Hawks have been about Under Pete and John, Nate is exactly that.

25. “If our kids could learn from role models like this guy we would not have the problems we have in the inner cities..”

…What?

26. Vick: You don’t have ANY clue as to what kind of organization the Hawks have. The owner donates time and millions to cancer research and many other charities,the manager has an autisic child,Wilson spends numerous hours at the childrens hospital,Lynch has an organization to help kids get off the streets,Graham is part of “Flight for Angels”.This team is full of class buddy.Maybe next time do some research before looking like an arse.

27. As a Packers fan, I cannot stand the Seahawks. But when this was announced, I stood and applauded them for this very classy move.

You get an A+ for this move, Seahawks. It won’t make me want to beat your butts any less, but I applaud you just the same.

28. Not only would he be a good guy to have around Clark, but I’m pretty sure they could if nothing else sign him to the practice squad….that guy is the kind of guy you want to have around your organization no matter what the roll.

29. I say Seattle should sign him anyway.

I’m in for kicking in a$ 100.00 bucks and if we can get 1 million others to do so, this soldier gets what he deserves.

He was willing to sacrifice his life for his country, I think we owe it to him.

Bear fan

30. If you need a backup quarterback….
    Kick the tires on Vince Young.. See if he would be willing to help… He wouldn’t cost a lot…. His career won/loss record is 31-19… He’s a 2 time Pro-Bowler with playoff experience and was voted 2006 NFL Rookie of the Year….. The NFL is all about “WINS and LOSSES”…. and this guy WINS…. There is a big difference between Perception and Reality.
    If you need a good backup QB… Bring in Vince Young and judge him as such.. A backup quarterback…

31. this is great .. if you don’t liker this signing you don’t like America. This guy deserves a chance. I imagine he will just be on the practice squad.. unless hes able to do special teams?? cool story

32. I’d like to play in the NFL too. Can I have a contract?

I saw this guy’s story. Basically, he went into the military and became a Green Beret. Then when he got out decided he wanted to play football, so he went to college and did all he could to make the team. It was some time before he earned the LS position considering he started with no prior experience whatsoever, but he did it. He is fighting odds that get longer as time goes by, but he is still winning for now.

That determination is what drew the attention of PC/JS. I think it’s safe to say that nobody on this site has that, especially the 500 lb. trolls writing tripe while they open a new bag of pork rinds.