Eric Weddle: I’m not coming in until Chargers do something

Getty Images

The Chargers have been working out without safety Eric Weddle for the last couple of weeks and it looks like they’ll continue to be without one of their top defensive players.

Weddle is in the final year of his deal and wants a new contract with the Chargers, something that General Manager Tom Telesco said he has “no doubt” they’ll be discussing now that the draft is over. Until those discussions pick up steam, however, Weddle said he’ll be doing his work apart from the team.

“I’m not coming in anytime soon until something on their side is said,” Weddle said during an appearance with Dan Sileo of The Mighty 1090. “They know where we’re at and they obviously know their stance, so we’ll see what happens from there.”

Weddle said that he’s been in contact with defensive coordinator John Pagano about changes to the team’s defensive playbook and the team doesn’t have any mandatory work until minicamp starts on June 16. That leaves some time to start working toward an agreement that would keep Weddle from deciding whether he wants to risk fines as part of his push for a new deal.

59 responses to “Eric Weddle: I’m not coming in until Chargers do something

1. He’s been one of the most seriously overrated safeties in the game for some time. If the game is on the line, look for el matador weddle to whiff on the play.

2. You’re already under contract, and making more money than most people dream of. Nothing says “Me first” like holding out. Glad you’re not my team’s headache! Jerk.

3. What an idiot! He was massively overpaid when he signed his last contract and now he’s trying to force their hand in to signing him to another outrageous contract. I totally understand when a player holds out because he is way underpaid, but to hold out because they won’t add more years to your contract when you still have a full year left? I don’t get it.

4. Boo Hoo. I’m signed but unhappy so I’ll pout. Contracts have minimal value as they are not guaranteed always. I’d trade him for a pick.

5. I don’t know about anybody else, but I am increasingly sick and tired of spoiled brat athletes who refuse to honor the terms of their contracts. You are under contract, Mr. Weddle. You are playing for the Chargers this year, or you will play for no one. And, when your contract is up, there’s the door and please let it hit you in the ass on the way out – – – cuz we don’t want you around here anymore!

6. overrated player that’s under contract for a lot of money. its not like he is on his rookie deal. the guy got big time money.

he aint worth it. if you are a decent white player, especially in the secondary people pretend to act like you are the greatest thing ever. he is a middle of the pack safety. he is no different than Jason Seahorn, Adam Archuletta, Mike Alstott, etc…decent players that fans pretended to act like were hall of fame players because of their skin color.

7. This dude is so overrated and overpaid as it is. He has
    talent, but the guy likes to loaf on plays. I couldn’t believe the contract he got last time.

8. These are voluntary workouts. How many of you show up for voluntary work on Saturday for no extra pay?

9. Crazy overrated and overpaid already.

Throw in the schism with Rivers and the Chargers Choo Choo Express is coming off the tracks.

10. There’s young guys trying to get on the team, making nothing. You’re cryin’ because the Chargers GM doesn’t have you on speed dial?

Eye of the tiger – gone

11. I’m under contract with Menards for 9.80 an hour. Should I hold out?

12. Overrated or overpaid aside he has just as much right to do this as teams to force players to take a pay cut or be released.

13. Can’t blame him for trying to lock up some more money while he’s healthy, it’ll more than likely be the last big pay day of his career but committing a bunch of money towards a player on the wrong side of 30 years old is risky, especially when they want to extend Rivers’ contract

14. For all of you trashing the guy let me ask, if you thought you could make moire money and add greater wage security wouldn’t you do it? It’s a business, he isn’t in it to be generous. The team would not think twice about cutting him to save a dime, why should he be self-sacrificing?

15. Maybe the Chargers don’t like white players. Did anyone ask LeSean McCoy for his opinion on this.

16. Just remember everyone, the flip side of the coin is that there was nothing stopping the Chargers from ripping up his contract and cutting him at any time.

Until NFL contracts are fully guaranteed a team will never truley be fully committed to a player. I’m not sure I can blame the players for having the same mentality.

Not saying I like it, but that’s the business model the NFL wants.

17. danind says:
    May 6, 2015 11:52 AM

——————————————————————-
    Mike Alstott played offense. Maybe you meant John Lynch, a TB player around the same time. Sure is nice to hear skin color brought up. It’s been almost 3 whole articles since it was. I only remember being ‘in’ on Lynch. The other two, naah.

18. If by “do something”, Weddle means “win the division” or “be relevant in playoff conversations”, he could be in for a looooong wait.

19. How is he overrated or overpaid? His overall contract value puts him behind Eric Berry, Devin McCourty, Jarius Byrd, Earl Thomas and Dashon Gholston… That means he right in there at top ten where he should be… And as far as production/play goes Weddle has been asked to do more for his secondary than ANY of those guys because he’s been playing with a bunch of nobodies til Flowers came in. Watch his tape, see how much he has had to compensate for guys like Wright and Ghilchrist and then tell me he’s overrated when he’s STILL making plays and playing every game for that team…. All he’s said up until now is he wants SOMETHING from the team to show them that they’re willing (or not willing) to talk. The haven’t returned calls, emails or texts… what’s he supposed to do? Sit around and hope the same organization that’s known for shipping away their best players is going to do the opposite?

20. The Chargers seem like a mess this off season. That said, Weddle is making top tier money for a safety so I don’t see what he is all that mad about. I know players don’t like to play on one year/final year contracts due to the injury risk but he should just take out an insurance policy then if he is that concerned.

21. Memo to Eric Weddle-

We drafted your replacement….one that likes to tackle people……with speed to burn.

Signed
    Everybody in San Diego

22. killxswitch says: May 6, 2015 11:49 AM

He’s due $7.5 million this year. He’s under contract. What is the problem, exactly?
    ———————————————-

Normally I’d side with the player, but you’re dead on here. He’s fortunate they didn’t ask him to restructure.

23. “These are voluntary workouts. How many of you show up for voluntary work on Saturday for no extra pay?”

Thats a very silly statement since most in not all the people posting here don’t make anywhere near 7.5 mil a year.

And for my job I often put in extra hours that are unpaid, as do many people in corporate America. Now I can do a lot of that extra work from my home office, but its still work and its still in the evening, on the weekend etc. If I was getting 7.5 mil a year you’re damn straight I’d put in the extra time if it would help keep me successful to the point of continuing to make that kind of money.

24. danind says:
    May 6, 2015 11:52 AM

_____

As a guy who would change the Redskins name because I think in 2015, a team named after a skin color is inappropriate, I do have a sensitivity to racism. But any of the “white” athletes you named are just “okay.” I would not say they were great, nor do I hear throngs of other saying that too.

As for the media, they over hype everything and everybody. There are plenty of over-hyped Black players too. I will start with the most obvious to my mind…Michael Oher.

Weddle is decent, but not great. If he is to make $7.5 mil this year, I would cut him (as long as there is no significant dead money as a result). There is no way he is worth anything near that.

I have to say, as far as talent on the field, there is less racism existing there than in other areas of our society. Now maybe at the HC or front office level you can gripe. But relax. Weddle isn’t getting a free pass because of his color.

25. If you think Weddle is overrated, you know nothing about football. Which is a common theme on these message boards. Right Joe?

26. bchap17 says:
    May 6, 2015 12:39 PM
    ————————

I normally would too. Teams can cut a player anytime they want, often with no repercussions. And these are just voluntary workouts. But why is he being so vocal about it?

27. PFF Rankings for best players last year:

Overall Best Defense – Denver Broncos, +123.0 Grade
    DE (4-3)- Cameron Wake, +30.7 grade (MIA)
    DE (4-3)- Michael Bennett, +25.4 grade (SEA)
    DE (3-4)- J.J. Watt, +106.0 grade (HOU)
    DE (3-4)- Sheldon Richardson, +40.9 grade (NYJ)
    DT- Aaron Donald, +34.5 grade (STL)
    DT- Gerald McCoy, +29.7 grade (TB)
    OLB (4-3)- Khalil Mack, +56.4 grade (OAK)
    OLB (4-3)- Von Miller, +55.7 grade (DEN)
    OLB (3-4)- Justin Houston, +50.1 grade (KC)
    OLB (3-4)- Pernell McPhee, +25.5 grade (BAL)
    ILB- Luke Kuechly, +28.9 grade (CAR)
    ILB- Dont’a Hightower, +27.1 grade (NE)
    CB- Chris Harris Jr, +28.4 grade (DEN)
    CB- Vontae Davis, +21.8 grade (IND)
    S1- Eric Weddle, +19.4 grade (SD)
    S2- Harrison Smith, +17.9 grade (MIN)

28. Weddle is a decent player, hard hitter, fairly good tackler, can blitz the QB, sometimes reads a play well and gets into the backfield. But he is not elite by any stretch. His last contract happened to occur in a year where the free agent market for safeties was thin. Weddle was in demand as a scarce commodity and A. J. Smith had to pay him top dollar. Weddle was compensated handsomely. At the time, most commentators felt he was very well paid for his contributions.

I don’t think the Chargers owe Weddle much goodwill. A good player who was already paid top dollar once, now feels slighted. It’s wrong in my books.

29. Weddle is under contract , my guess is he’s looking for a huge payday. Chargers should let him walk, he’s not a game changer. Safeties are replaceable .

30. I feel bad for the guy.
    He’s only making 7-8 million to play football this year.
    How can he be expected to make ends meet?
    He was tricked into signing a contract that paid him only
    $ 40,000,000 poor guy.

Seriously dude – keep quiet, play well, and get another contract elsewhere. Publicly complaining, when you have a huge contract smells bad and wont help you get another one. It’s not like you haven’t been paid very well for years.

31. If the Charges don’t want to resign him, they should have traded him before the draft.
    Get a 5th round pick and concentrate on rebuilding.

32. The one thing many overlook is… these are optional workouts. Mandatory ones don’t start until June 16 so it’s not like he isn’t honoring his contract right now.

33. btv77 says:
    May 6, 2015 12:15 PM

Not saying I like it, but that’s the business model the NFL wants.
    __________________________________
    It’s also the system the players want since it’s all collectively bargained. Players aren’t getting shafted by owners. It’s like when players that get the franchise tag whine about how unfair it is. They agreed to it.

34. A player gets drafted in the 2nd round, never misses a start in 7 years, 3 pro-bowl selections, 80+ tackles year after year, and supposedly he doesn’t like to tackle? or he’s not that good?

Chargers would be stupid to not pay Weddle what he’s worth. Three more years.

Oh, and keep bringing up that McFadden play. McFadden was a 1st round bust. Wasn’t he selected 3rd or 4th overall? I don’t think he’s has one decent year.

35. So trade that malcontent to the Yokahama Mushrooms of the Japanese indoor football league and see how Mr. Smarty-Pants likes that.

36. Raiders were 3-13 last year, but their fans can’t seem to stay off the Charger topics..Weddle is part of a 53 man roster that view “Raider week” as an additional bye week twice a season

37. Seems a lot of you think he is overrated. He’s the best at his position in all of the AFC West, not sure who you can even argue in the AFC West is better.

The reason this is coming out is because it’s already been said the Chargers will not even pay to the level of the Salary Cap because they’re trying to recoup money lost on all the talk from lack of ticket sales due to them moving to Carson.

Maybe because you don’t play the game and don’t understand the risks involved especially at a position he plays. They’re lowballing the ENTIRE team, fanbase and franchise to save pennies on the dollar with the bail out of San Diego. And the team better know as THE CHARGERS all have to move their families and change their environment on the whim of the owners. This is a business and he’s in every right to do what he’s doing.

He also said nothing about mandatory minicamps which don’t start till June. This is posturing on both sides and you all sounds like clueless idiots who are new to the way this game is played.

38. rocoop says:
    May 6, 2015 3:44 PM

—————
    Yeah. We never see you post anything on Raider stories.

39. Well, obviously all you clowns don’t know a whole lot. He hasn’t missed a game in 5 seasons, leads the team in tackles the majority of the time and doesn’t want a new contract to make more money. He wants a new contract to hopefully retire as a Charger. So all you clowns saying he’s spoiled should get your facts straight before ripping a way above average player who never gets in trouble for DUIs or beating his wife or children. All he wants to do is retire for the team that drafted him. I know the NFL is a business, but loyalty still has a place in it.