Will Adrian Peterson show up for OTAs?

Getty Images

Now that Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has made it clear that he doesn’t have a problem with the team, the question becomes whether he’ll still have a problem joining the team for offseason workouts.

He skipped the first two phases of the offseason program as well as the first week of Organized Team Activities, in the apparent hope that the Vikings will guarantee all or part of his 2016 salary. But before Peterson spoke publicly about his situation, coach Mike Zimmer did. And a key observation from Zimmer was largely overlooked beyond the “he can play for us or he can not play” headline.

“I’ve also read that Adrian told me that he wasn’t coming to OTAs, which is completely false,” Zimmer said. “I know there’s a lot of things that are out there. I don’t know when he’s coming. We’ll just leave it at that.”

While Zimmer’s contention that Peterson didn’t say he wasn’t coming to OTAs doesn’t mean Peterson definitely will show up, the door remains open. If he’d show up for the remainder of the OTA sessions, there’s also a chance (in theory) the Vikings will choose to pay his $250,000 workout bonus, which was tied only to OTA participation and not to the first two phases of the offseason program.

Peterson has remained silent since making his case against NFL contracts on Twitter. Earlier on Sunday, he posted an apparent photo of his very large and very nice home, with the message “serene” — which triggered a multitude of the kind of responses we’ve all come to expect on Twitter.

Twitter will have plenty more to say about Peterson if/when he shows up for OTAs. If he does, it’ll be the clearest indication yet that the guy know as “All Day” is all in for 2015.

86 responses to “Will Adrian Peterson show up for OTAs?

1. AP is as delusional as his Viking fan base. It’s no wonder they were able to auction off used urinals to those yokels.

2. At one point, I thought he was a class act. Team player, didn’t make waves, played hard.

But now he has made a spectacle of himself, mostly for the worse. Too bad.

3. Coach Zimmer said he knew when AP would show up.

But he’s not talking. Or telling. Or whatever.

4. Lets try and summarize the responses that are sure to follow:

Average Viking fan: “I’m not sure if I’m getting more sick and tired of AP or the AP stories”.

Average Viking homer: “When AP comes back running angry, he’s going to team up with Teddy and beat the crap out of the Pack on the way to the superbowl!”

Average Packer fan: “I’m not sure if I’m more sick of AP or the AP stories, but better them than us.”

Average Packer homer: “Heeheehee and skololol, what a classless organization incapable of winning anything, particularly with Bustwater’s teeny hands. Oh, and we’re better/smarter fans and a classier team cause we’ve been lucky enough to have two HOF QBs.”

Average NFL fan: “I’m not sure if I’m more tired of AP and the AP stories or all the Viking/Packer trolling.”

5. will AP show up for OTA’s?

maybe yes maybe no

signed NFL “insider ” reporters

6. This Vikings squad under Zimmer and old Norv is going to be a lot tougher than people think Norv with a deep threat (Wallace) and A.P. is a really scary thought… If they can get even decent play from their O-Line and Bridgewater, I dare say they are an actual Playoff contender.

7. I don’t know if trading for a complete unknown in Brett Favre qualifies as “lucky.” I’d consider that a genius move from Ron Wolf. Drafting Rodgers when 20+ other teams passed and they already had a SB winning team on the roster isn’t what I’d call “lucky” either. I could be wrong.

GO PACK!!!

8. If Peterson averaged 3 a carry and averaged 6 – 10 touches a game, while playing special teams, he would be out of the NFL for beating his 4 year old son with a stick.

In the NFL, the punishment is based on ability.

9. patsrbetter says:
    May 31, 2015 6:35 PM

Low class organization harboring a no class person.

#FreeBrady
    ————————————
    Funny how a Pats fan can say that. Just because your team has won superbowls doesn’t make it classy. In fact, most fan bases think the Pats aren’t that classy at all. Especially after Spygate and Deflategate. But way to come in here and project your teams classless acts to another team that did absolutely nothing wrong. The person in the wrong is AP, not the Vikings. But maybe Pat fans should worry more about their team’s classless actions.

10. tritz32 says:
    May 31, 2015 6:22 PM

GO PACK!!!
    ———————————-
    I could be wrong but I don’t mean the other poster meant they were lucky in that aspect or questioning how they obtained Favre and Rodgers. More so that they were lucky enough to have the two QBs. It doesn’t happen that often where a team has that type of talent back to back in the QB position. Similar to this scenario. The Colts were lucky to have Peyton Manning and then the one year he was hurt and out they were lucky to be in a position to draft Luck. It doesn’t mean they were great guesses by their front office. Make sense?

11. shlort says:
    May 31, 2015 6:23 PM

In the NFL, the punishment is based on ability.
    —————————
    Actually that is false. Punishments are the same for any player that commits the same crime. The difference is, if you contribute more to a team than a special teams player, teams will be willing to overlook these problems. Example 1: Josh Gordon.

12. I think it’s funny that AP is asking the VIkings to honor the contract. Am I missing something? It seems they are honoring the contract as agreed and signed.

I get he’s worried about next year and later but that IS the contract AP agreed to. All he has to do is show and play then this year is guaranteed. Guess what? If he does as well as he says he’s going to do then he’ll get paid again next year. That’s how it works. But there is nothing wrong with teams trying to protect themselves. History shows most RBs start wearing down at this point in APs career. Show up, do a good job and earn next year’s salary.

13. Looks like Peterson does not have a lot of leverage. His chances of moving to a championship competitive team dwindeling, it is now probably time to get the most money possible, realizing that a Superbowl appearance during the remaining portion of his career is unlikely.

14. Who remembers about 3 years ago when a drunken AP was arrested in Texas and all the Vikings fans cried “Racism” He’s a great guy! The cops down there are all racist, he wouldn’t do anything wrong. He’s a great guy! Now we know what kind of guy he is, and it isn’t so great.

15. Looks like Peterson may experience the same fate as “Earl Campbell.” A dominant RB who was not with a good enough team to make it to the Superbowl. Kind of sad, because Peterson is a special talent, just as Earl Campbell was.

16. I just want thus guy to go away at this point…

Feel bad for Viking fans…they dontndeserve this, but having him on the Roster is going to be a season long nightmare.

17. Teddy Bustwater and company will be the laughing stock of the NFL this season, oh wait they already are.

ejmat2 do you always give yourself pep talk rants like this and try to figure out why the Vikings continue to finish below average, year after year after year? Wow your posts are so delusional!

18. The decisions this guy has made have been bizarre. It’s almost as if he’s trying to run off the few fans he has left. He doesn’t seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

19. What a moron, you signed the contract now show up and honor the damn thing. This guy WAS a beast last time he played. Keep that in mind folks….LAST time he played!!!

20. Other than impregnating random women and beating small children’s scrotums with a stick, what other skills does this moron have?

Run the ball, collect your millions, and be thankful you have physical skills that make up for the absence of intelligence.

21. purpleguy says:
    May 31, 2015 6:15 PM

Lets try and summarize the responses that are sure to follow:

———

I like how you try to make the “average Vikings homer” still sound somewhat smart and literate. When in reality, anyone who follows these threads knows it’s more like “Vikings super bowl!1!!! Sharron Rogers is going down!!! Teddy Touchdown is already the best QB in the league!!!”

22. clamdiggers says:
    May 31, 2015 6:52 PM

Will the NFL allow the vikings more time between plays to accommodate AP/TB, 2 of the lowest scores ever on the Wonderlic.
    ————————————————————–
    So far the Wonderlic score hasn’t affected AD’s ability to be one of the best running backs of all time. And TB was regarded as the most pro ready QB in last years draft because of his football IQ, his ability to read defenses,call plays at the line and knowing what all his teammates assignments are on a given play. Watch the Gruden QB camp with TB and see if a Wonderlic means jack. Lame troll, try harder next time.

23. skolvikes5 says:
    May 31, 2015 6:47 PM

shlort says:
    May 31, 2015 6:23 PM

In the NFL, the punishment is based on ability.
    —————————
    —————

He’s likely talking about the fact that Peterson would have been blackballed by everyone in the league if he wasn’t one of the best RBs ever. Not that the discipline doled out by the league office would be different.

Example 1: Prince Shembo kicks and kills a little dog.

Example 2: Ray Rice punches his wife.

Both of those guys likely will never play in the league again, because they’re already mediocre players who did terrible things. Peterson whipped his kid until his privates were bleeding, and the Vikings were ready to put him right back in after one game on the bench, until they realized everyone else thought they were idiots for doing so.

24. Matt Flynn should be the Packers starting QB. After all, he had a higher wonderlic score than Aaron Rodgers.
    #PackerLogic

25. I don’t get it, most if not almost all NFL teams would take the stance that the guy is a convicted child abuser and we don’t want a guy like that in our locker room. Look at the Ravens and Ray Rice, look at the Bears with Ray McDonald, look at the Falcons with the LB that killed his dog. In each case, the team cut the player without expecting anything in return.

Now the Vikings are demanding someone’s else high draft pick which would allow them to dump a $13 million cap hit on another team. Really? The guy is a child abuser. Why not do the right thing by cutting him and wishing him well, at his next job bagging groceries at Cub Foods.

26. Dear ejmat2,

Your logical reasoning and analysis of this is way to thought out and just ridiculous. The Vikings are horrible and you’re nut job. You love to hear yourself talk on here, get over yourself.

The Viking’s only division win was the last game of the season against the worst Bears team in 40 years and both teams were eliminated from playoff contention and the Vikings fans think they have a shot a being good.

Have a Nice day!

-a fan of team better than yours

27. I like the old school NFL much better. Not the new NFL/TMZ merger.

I liked buying pro football magazines and fantasizing about how the players had it made. How they all seemed so rah-rah, dedicated and socially perfect. I know that wasn’t the case, but it was cool to believe it as a kid.

I enjoyed end zone seats at Tiger Stadium for Lions games where I could actually here Lem Barney trash talking a doomed receiver. I kinda felt like that “indiscretion” was private, between me and Lem.

My Mom asked me son why he was so into sports. He said, “It’s a great distraction from real life”. Too bad it didn’t stay that way. Go Lions!

28. Who cares…..no show at OTA’s…..no workout bonus and fines……no show at season starting practices……no money and fines……welcome to signing a contract to do your job!!!!!

There is always using that degree if you don’t want to play…..say it with me AP…..would you like to upsize that meal to a medium or large drink and fries????

29. jcbadger34 says:
    May 31, 2015 7:20 PM
    skolvikes5 says:
    May 31, 2015 6:47 PM

shlort says:
    May 31, 2015 6:23 PM

In the NFL, the punishment is based on ability.
    —————————
    —————

Example 1: Prince Shembo kicks and kills a little dog.

Example 2: Ray Rice punches his wife.

————
    Well I agree with, how teams would react to a punishment based on skill. That is just how the NFL and many other Professional sports operate. If you are good, teams look over the personal problems.

30. Whines like a spoiled child having a temper tantrum All Day!

We know what happens when children act up in the Peterson household.

31. @patsrbetter. . . “Low class organization harboring a no class
    person”. . . Perfect description of YOUR team. Way to go.

32. calvinthegreat82 says:
    May 31, 2015 7:09 PM

———————————
    I’m delusional, huh? Maybe I am but at least my team never went 0-16. BTW, I don’t mean to burst your bubble but the Lions haven’t really been relevant for over 50 years. I know you like to count your 4 championships 20+ years prior to the merger and that’s fine. But to think over the years the Lions have been better than the Vikings is pretty delusional in itself. My post about AP was about AP. If you want to call me delusional, why don’t you elaborate on any of my post that appears delusional to you instead of just making general statements. You know, back up your thought process. I know it’s easier just to make general statements about people you don’t know but give it a try. You may earn some credibility for once.

33. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says:
    May 31, 2015 7:38 PM

Dear ejmat2,

—————————————-
    Are you the same person as Calvinthegreat82??? Your post is exactly alike. I’ll tell you the same thing I told him. If you want to call me out for supposedly being delusional back it up with facts. I don’t think I’d be where I am in life if I were a “nutjob” so I’d be careful of your brave keyboard talk.

As for the Vikings, I don’t think I ever claimed them to be great now have I? In fact, I am the first to admit the Packers have been the class of the NFCN for a few years now. I am the first to say players like Rodgers, Matthews, Jordy Nelson are great players. My favorite all time player was actually a Detroit Lion, Barry Sanders. You can call it like you want but I’m pretty fair in my assessments when it comes to players. If a Vikings is messing up I’ll be the first to call him out. If the organization, screws up, I would call them out too.

Maybe you should get over yourself. I’m not the one going into another team’s thread and causing waves.

34. I actually seen AP out at a bar slash club here in Houston last night. He was actually there by himself no security or friends with him

35. Adrian will show up and the Viking’s will still suck.

ejmat2 every other post is from you or about you on this thread. Maybe get a hobby or find something more productive to do other than challenging people on a blog about your pathetic Vikings or personal social status all day.

There are lots of people that have made it to the ranks of respectable occupations and postitions and are still very much considered “nutjobs.” Just in case you over looked that. Have a beer and relax, go watch Game of Thrones or something.

36. Dont get why they wont just trade him. Vikes run game dident seem that bad and a.p is up there in age . Trade the guy he doesnt want to play for the team and you can get nice value for him

37. Ben Dogra wanted Adrian traded PURELY for business reasons that served himself. To make this happen he had to convince Adrian that he HATED the Vikings. When the trade didn’t happen, Dogra moved on because this was a business decision and unfortunately Adrian’s moves are emotionally motivated. He will cool down at some point, but this is just more reasons to hate Adrian’s agent for manipulating him this entire time.

38. No team, I mean no team thrives in playoff wins like green Bay!

But if we’re talking losses, no team, I mean no team thrives in playoff losses like my Minnesota Vikings!! 27 losses and counting…er…um…I guess we’d have to actually make the playoffs again to start the count back up. But if/when we get back there, you can bet we’ll get to 28 in no time.

Maybe that’s why AP is being such a jerk. One more Viking playoff loss and the number 28 will have dual meaning in MN!

39. I don’t understand why so many fans switch to hating this lovely man and honorable father. Adrian Beatason is not only one of the best running backs in the NFL, he is also the best father in the world, and I hope he whips some butt at OTAs!

GO VIKINGS!

40. I’m sure all these Packers fans would actually take AD on their team but I seriously doubt they would trade Ed Hochuli or even Pete Morelli for him.

41. ariani1985 says:
    May 31, 2015 9:49 PM

No team, I mean no team thrives in playoff loshe’s like green Bay!

#packerschoke
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not true. Your beloved Vikings have a much worse record for choking in the playoffs even though they’ve been to the playoffs much, much less than the Packers. Of course, the truth has never meant much to you if it gets in the way of your delusions.

Even if the Packers were the leading choke artists, the 13 World Championships (7 of them since the Vikings sputtered into existence) would more than balance the books.

Oh… and let us not forget, the Pack holds a 10-1-1 record over your dearly beloveds over the past 6 years. 10-1-1. That’s a beating that ranks right up there with what Peterson did to his kid.

42. Who cares? He’s just another union-protected player with an entitlement mentality.

If I were the Vikings, I wouldn’t want him around my other players due to his anti-management mindset.

43. No, Adrian Peterson will not show up for OTA’s.

He will be in the woods cutting more tree branches to discipline his 4 year old son with.

44. Don’t know if he will show up or not and don’t care. Used to think highly of AP but now, he’s an afterthought. He made it so with his behavior. First class chump.

45. Hey Ejmat2 – Comparing the Colts drafting two cant miss QB’s (best prospects since Elway) to the Pack taking chances on a no name and someone at least 20+ other GM’s passed on is laughable. And then they had the balls to tell a super winning QB to pack his bags because they had a good idea in what they had in Rodgers.

Favre and Rodgers were in no way, shape or form luck. It’s called having a good front office. Then again – Viking fans would know absolutely nothing about that.

46. Just an update for you Purple People, all time Playoff records for NFL teams according to NFL hall of fame;

Green Bay Packers 31-20 .608 winning percentage

Minnesota Vikings: 19-27 .413 winning percentage.

I would say overall your Vikings choke more often then the Packers in the Playoff’s.

Just saying….

47. At this point, as a Viking fan, I really don’t care whether Peterson shows up or not. If he’s going to carry around a crappy attitude, he’s better off retiring or sitting out the year.

His pouting has gotten very old, and quite frankly, if he can’t show up for OTAs, training camp or the regular season with a better attitude, the Vikings would be better off without him.

48. Peterson got paid to sit on his butt all of last year. I guess when he got that much money for doing so little that he now figures his contract should be guaranteed for doing absolutely nothing. Peterson continues to do nothing and expects that is the best way to get more money. Clearly if he beats his child til he bleeds and thinks it is ok, there’s no telling what he may do and think it is ok, like getting paid to not work.

49. Here’s what you all need to know about this…

Adrian acted out of ignorance and bad example in beating his child. This has resulted in criminal prosecution, suspension from the NFL, and he now understands that this is illegal behavior. He has too many young children with too many women to provide proper attention to all of them, but this is common in the NFL and other sports leagues.
    Since his suspension, Dogra, his agent has seen this as an opportunity to generate a new contract of some type with some team, the Vikings or whomever, and HE DOESNT GET A DIME UNLESS THE VIKINGS TRADE, RESTRUCTURE OR RELEASE HIM WHICH WOULD RESULT IN A NEW CONTRACT, AND THAT IS DOGRA’S ONLY OBJECTIVE. Any new contract negotiated at all would work for Dogra, since he wasn’t part of the negotiation that resulted in his current contract.

BUT….alas… AP is still under contract with the Vikings for 3 more years, and there is nothing to compel the Vikings to change that.

Right now, Dogra’s strategy is letting his client destroy his image to the Vikings fans, in hopes that the Vikings will move him for PR reasons. They wont, and they shouldn’t. The Wilfs know how to deal with a bully.

If a well-rested AP lights up the league this year for 2000 yards, the fans will love it, (if he takes a fourth of that from Green Bay, they will love him forever). But it’s
    ugly right now, and Vikings fans will just have to get through it. Chalk it up to reckless abuse from a greedy agent of ill repute.

50. He should have to go to the “whooping room” and get “switched” 10 times for every OTA session he misses. That might make him realize what slavery may ACTUALLY been like.