LeSean McCoy says he’s done talking Chip Kelly, then keeps talking

Getty Images

When you accuse your former coach of being a racist, it’s probably not reasonable to expect those comments to fade away quietly.

But Bills running back LeSean McCoy apparently got a little indignant when asked to expound on his remarks about Eagles coach Chip Kelly, whom he said got rid of “all the good black players.”

Via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, McCoy didn’t do a particularly good job putting the comments to rest, after initially saying: “I have nothing more to say about it. … I’m done talking about it.”

When asked a follow up, which is what happens when you make such an explosive charge, McCoy apparently confronted a reporter, saying: “Did you hear what I said?”

He also mixed in a “Y’all listening to me?” and threatened to end the interview if the questions about Kelly continued.

They did of course, adding: “I never regret nothing I say,” and that he didn’t think he caused a distraction.

Gosh, someone should probably explain to him that he probably isn’t, especially since the Bills play the Eagles on Dec. 13, and that he can’t expect to throw a cannonball into the pool and not expect ripples.

He can choose to not talk about it, but if he wants to be considered anything other than a disgruntled former employee, he should probably come up with a better explanation.

147 responses to “LeSean McCoy says he’s done talking Chip Kelly, then keeps talking

1. This guy will be a pain in the butt for the Bills….especially when he has a hard time putting up good numbers in a tough (defense-wise) AFC East.

2. ….you are making Chip Kelly’s decision to trade you look brilliant LeSean. I watch football on TV but I just bet you were a cry-baby in the locker room. Chip wants a team of men !!….not babies.

3. Top 5 Bills all time:

1. Jim Kelley
    2. Thurman Thomas
    3. Eric Moulds
    4. Cornelius Bennett
    5. Cookie Gilchrist

4. Before all this, I seriously had no idea how foolish and well, not so bright, that LeSean McCoy is. Every time he opens his mouth lately it’s like a train wreck. Color me enlightened.

5. If Chip Kelly is racist, why did he replace McCoy with a player with the same skin color?

6. When someone says they are done talking about something and the media continues to go after it, of course he is going to react. Media always trying to make drama out of everything just to boost their ratings.

7. I love ya Shady…always will. But every interview diminishes it just a tad. Every single one. I stuck up for you with the party bus. I stuck up for you being a bad tipper. But Im done defending.

8. Let’s not expect high level conversation here. He takes a ball from a guy and runs into other guys for a living. You dont need a Rhodes scholar to do this sort of work.

9. When you get an ELEVEN on your Wonderlic test it shows you may say something dumb.
    Can’t fix stupid.

10. Lost, well almost lost, in the shuffle is that Kelly got rid of his extremely underpaid starting quarterback one year removed from a monster season, that happens to be a white guy. I’m not saying that any of Kelly’s moves were good or bad, but that definitely negates the idea that Kelly uses race when evaluating players.

11. The more he opens his mouth, the better the decision by Kelly looks.

Just remember, this is the idiot millionaire who thinks it is OK to tip 20 cents at a restaurant. What do you think the chances are that in about 15 years we are reading about how McCoy has squandered his money and is destitute and looking for a handout?

12. When he was traded, I figured he’d definitely get a nice ovation when the Bills play the Eagles. Now… I’d be shocked if he didn’t hear a whole lot of boos.

13. If he said he was done talking about it then why did the reporter ask him another question about it?
    I’ll tell you why because the media are a bunch of vultures who are always trying to get people to say controversial things. That’s because printing those things will generate more interest and therefore more money for their company.
    I think McCoy is a total idiot but he was very clearly being provoked in this instance.

14. Right about now, I’m guessing Rex is having second thoughts about that whole “we won’t muzzle our players” policy he decided on a month ago when Shady started running his mouth.

15. A perfect example of another physically gifted moron. Terrible person, terrible work ethic Get your money while your skills are still there Shady. You’ll be bankrupt in 15 years.

16. So he gives a candid assessment of what he thought about the Eagles and Chip Kelly (and yes, it sounded totally stupid) and he gets crucified. Now he’s trying to stop talking about the Eagles but because he responds to the incessant questions it gets twisted into him talking by saying he’s not talking about it anymore, and again he gets crucified.

Obviously his initial comments were wrong and he has to live with the backlash of those, but what exactly is he supposed to do now when asked about it if he’s gonna get killed for giving his true feelings and also get killed for saying he’s done talking about it?

17. scrp2 says:
    Jun 3, 2015 1:32 PM

Top 5 Bills all time:

1. Jim Kelley
    2. Thurman Thomas
    3. Eric Moulds
    4. Cornelius Bennett
    5. Cookie Gilchrist

I guess Bruce Smith the all-time sack leader wasn’t good enough for your list?

18. Top 5 Bills all time:

1. Jim Kelley
    2. Thurman Thomas
    3. Eric Moulds
    4. Cornelius Bennett
    5. Cookie Gilchrist

Where’s Jack Kemp? He’s the only Bills QB to win a championship.

19. scrp2 says:
    Jun 3, 2015 1:32 PM
    Top 5 Bills all time:

1. Jim Kelley
    2. Thurman Thomas
    3. Eric Moulds
    4. Cornelius Bennett
    5. Cookie Gilchrist

______________________

UMMMMM Bruce Smith and Andre Reed were a tad better than Moulds and Biscuit

20. Someone show shady what a double negative is. He is technically saying he regrets a lot of what he said, and he is causing a distraction.

21. so DeSean is skipping OTAs and LeSean is, frankly, seemingly insane. But the peanut gallery still thinks Chip Kelly doesn’t know what he’s doing.

22. @scrp2

If your going to have a top 5 list of Bills players arent you missing Bruce Smith and OJ Simpson. You know the best player on each side of the ball

23. I can’t imagine why Chip got rid of this tool. He seems like such a stand up guy………………….

24. And I wouldn’t believe a single word Mike Rodak has to say. He hates the Bills. He is a Patriots fan, but just happens to be the ESPN Buffalo Bills reporter. He will do and say anything to make the Bills look bad. Don’t believe me, look at some of his articles on the Bills.

25. Let’s be honest here. LeSean literally got Munsoned (If you’ve seen the movie Kingpin, you’d get it).

26. After reading his comments, one can only conclude that proper English wasn’t stressed in his education at Pitt…….or at any other time in his life.

SMH

27. Not defending McCoy or anybody, but if you don’t want to tip you don’t have to. I by no means am saying not to tip, or even that I personally don’t. Simply put, it is not a requirement when dining out. Maybe he had bad service? Also, just because he is a millionaire doesn’t mean he owes anybody anything. You know how millionaires stay rich? They don’t pay for anything.

28. This. THIS is why you are no longer an Eagle. A self-absorbed diva that can NOT shut up. Not because the color of your skin. Too much $$$ on someone who doesn’t wanna share his foxhole.

29. Hold off for one year LeSean; this time next year Chip will be back in college where he belongs and then you can taunt the perennial empty dusty trophy case that resides in Philly.

5, 4, 3…..0. Superbowls in the NFC East; guess what number belongs to the Eagles?

30. Good ol’ Chip the racist and his prejudicial offseason signings of DeMarco Murray, Ryan Matthews, Byron Maxwell, Walter Thurmon – not to mention drafting Nelson Agholor, Eric Rowe and re-signing Brandon Graham and DeMeco Ryans. if that isn’t blatant racism then I don’t know what is.

BTW, how much did DeSean Jackson elevate the Redskins last season? Let’s see how Shady does behind that creaky O-Line and whoever they trot out under center.

31. What he said was completely irresponsible. No excuse for it. You don’t get to tarnish a man’s reputation by accusing him of something hateful (without evidence) and then get upset when you’re called to account.

What a bum.

The Bills always overvalue the running back position. They did it in a big way here.

32. “I don’t have to explain myself to nobody,” he said. “I don’t. I said what I said about what I felt at the time and I’m done with that.”

and if Riley Cooper had said that instead of emphatically apologizing….? gotta love that double standard.

33. Chip Kelly racist or not, he’s an idiot. Foles looked like a stud his first year with McCoy and desean. (I think maclin was hurt) take the guy away who created all the space for everyone to work and everyone’s numbers dropped from foles to McCoy. Ppl will hate on those two because they aren’t exactly the person they want them to be. But tho players aren’t easily replaced. Should be an interesting season. They’ve got the 2 most injury pron RBs in the league, the worst WR duo in the league. And a coach who thinks he’s still in college

34. metalup666 says:
    Jun 3, 2015 2:13 PM
    ———————-

First, you’re not a professional athlete in the public eye. Everything they do will be held to a different standard. Welcome to public life.

Secondly, he didn’t “not leave a tip.” He tipped 20 cents. He did it deliberately to insult the server. This is way worse than not leaving a tip.

35. Kudos to Darin Gantt for telling it like it is. Shady looks ridiculous at this point, and I say that as an Eagles fan who considered him my favorite player for a few years.

36. As much as I dislike the Patriots for their unscrupulous acts I do acknowledge how you never hear anything like this blabbing out of their players. Granted serial killers aside and the odd rule infraction but you hardly ever hear their players gobbing off.

37. Top 5 Bills all time:

1. Jim Kelley
    2. Thurman Thomas
    3. Eric Moulds
    4. Cornelius Bennett
    5. Cookie Gilchrist

1. Jim Kelly (no second e)
    2. Bruce Smith
    3. Thurman Thomas
    4. Andre Reed
    5. O.J. Simpson

38. Racism in America today…is it more prevalent in the predominately white communities or in the black communities? Hmmm Hopefully we will have a better tomorrow as an American community.

39. scrp2 says:
    Jun 3, 2015 1:32 PM

Top 5 Bills all time:

1. Jim Kelley
    2. Thurman Thomas
    3. Eric Moulds
    4. Cornelius Bennett
    5. Cookie Gilchrist

You know Andre Reed is in the HOF, right?

40. Off Topic:

Watching the video of a drunken Mark Sanchez sing to the Back Street Boys at a bar raises some serious issues about his ability to lead a huddle.

Google it (f o x s p o r t s. c o m /buzzer/

41. He is an idiot and I am embarrassed that he was sought by the team I choose to support. He is also a seven year vet coming of a heavily rung bell, and I am embarrassed that the team I support thought that was a great investment.

42. “I never regret nothing I say,”

well…..that means you sometimes regret the things you do say? Ooorrrrrr….

OMG learn to speak the Kings English, Lad!

43. ematusko says:
    Jun 3, 2015 2:24 PM

————————————————————

…..elevated them enough to knock the Eagles from qualifying for the playoffs. 20 December, 2014…..4 catches for 126 yards; remember?

44. The only Eagles fan I know who still isn’t happy that the Eagles traded McCoy after all of this nonsense is my cousin Mike, and that’s only because he named his new puppy “Shady” less than a week before the trade.

45. It is obvious why this cat was traded and the color of his skin is not the reason. Declining player with a me first attitude. Buffalo bought high.

46. Shady’s just mad ’cause he knows he’s on a losing team. AFC East (2015):
    1. Jets: 11-5
    2. Patriots: 10-6
    3. Dolphins: 9-7
    4. Bills: 6-10.

47. McCoy is the punk most Eagles fans thought he was. From dancing behind the line to avoid hits to party bus antics, I am glad he is in end of career mode in Buffalo.

48. “he said he didn’t want to talk about it.” well i told my boss i didn’t want to do spreadsheets today but apparently we don’t just get to say no when it comes to our jobs.

49. calvinthegreat82 says:
    Jun 3, 2015 1:26 PM

The Vikings have ZERO Championships.

60 years of failure!
    ——————————————————–
    And this added Zero to the conversation. Milk and cookies then nap time for you.

50. Not even an NFC East fan but when did this idiot turn into such a turd? It’s not hard to tell from his lame comments that it is McCoy who is truly racist.

51. Hard for him to “stop talking about Chip Kelly” when it’s the only question you lemmings ask him.

52. Seems like McCoy and Manziel take turns at showing what tools they are. When one quiets down, the other one grabs the headlines. I guess they have some sort of idiot’s agreement so that one isn’t forgotten while the other has the spotlight for his latest moronic behavior.

53. yeevie13 says:
    Jun 3, 2015 1:51 PM

__________________________________…..uhhh he should apologize and say that what he said was immature and incorrect….not cry like a little girl now that he has to fess up to his beyond stupid remarks

54. Wouldn’t one start with the HOFers when determining the top players for a team?

OJ, Shaw, Kelly, Joe D, Lofton, Thomas, Smith, Reed.

Excluding Levy.

55. What scrp2 meant to say was:

Top 10 Bills of all time:
    1)Bruce Smith- Greatest DE to play the game and one of the best overall players in the game period.
    2)OJ Simpson- Regardless what he did or did not do,
    Simpson was one of the best to play the position in his time.
    3)Jim Kelly- Even with no Super Bowl wins, A great QB, even better man.
    4)Thurman Thomas- One of the best all-purpose RB’s that played the game… running, catching and blocking.
    5) Joe DeLamielleure- Best Guard the Bills ever had, one of the best at his position.
    6)Andre Reed- Hands down one of the best receivers to play the game and the best to ever don a Bills uni.
    7)Billy Shaw- 2nd best at his position to play for Buffalo.
    8)Jack Kemp- Only 2nd to Kelly, a very good QB.
    9)Cornelius Bennett- One of the biggest parts of the Bills 90’s domination.
    10)Steve Tasker- Best Special Teamer to ever play the sport and could have possibly contributed more to the Offense had the Coaching staff allowed him to… they didn’t want to risk his amazing ST skills.

Honorable Mention- Jack Kemp, Daryl Talley, Cookie Gilchrist, Elbert Dubenion, Fred Jackson(truly one of the hardest working players I’ve ever witnessed)

56. How has the NFL not contacted McCoy and threatened to fine him for any further accusations of racism against a coach in the NFL? That certainly is ‘conduct unbecoming’ against the Shield.

57. In the end the media has a lot to do with all these comments… Players get fined or are looked down upon if they don’t speak to the media yet do yall know what it must be like answering some of these questions….after SB 39.. ” Russell, you tell us how you feel after throw a INT on the 1 yd line to blow the season”…. And they’re expected to answer crap like that and never get annoyed…. WMccoy said what he said… I guess yall have never heard a 26 yr old say something stupid b4…I’m 32 and still bitter about things…but I forgot every1 in here is perfect…I’d rather him say the dumbest shyt everyday for the next 5 yrs as long as come Sunday he’s giving us Bills fans something we haven’t had since 2 yrs of Mcgahee…a consistent dominant runner…

58. LeSean was right in his original comment, he just left out one important adjective: outspoken.

59. “I never regret nothing I said”!

That is really unfortunate for him because he says a ton of really ignorant things!

60. wallabear says:
    Jun 3, 2015 3:16 PM
    Shady’s just mad ’cause he knows he’s on a losing team. AFC East (2015):
    1. Jets: 11-5
    2. Patriots: 10-6
    3. Dolphins: 9-7
    4. Bills: 6-10.
    ___________________________

Its quite evident in your response that happy hour started early.

61. Let me get this straight. Kelly got rid of “all the good black players.” So, he kept the bad black players and that makes him a racist? Well, if that were true, it would make him stupid, but not a racist. If he was a racist, he’d get rid of all the black players. Maybe McCoy meant to say he was getting rid of the all the “dumb” black players.

62. bradybbgoat says:

Every time this clown opens his mouth it becomes more and more obvious why Chip wanted him gone.

-Exactly.

63. These should be the only questions he gets asked….until he apologizes. I’m guessing his ego won’t allow that….he’s probably never been wrong in his life.

64. megatronownsyou says:

————————————————

That’s their job. Plus, he put a very serious, potentially damaging allegation out there. Tried to put a scarlet letter on Chip. He should be pressed on that, you shouldn’t be able to say that and not give back up for your allegations. Chip responded to the questions and he was the one who had people questioning who he was as a person as a direct result of Shady’s BS. Why should Shady get to put that out there and not be pressed on it? He’s a coward.

65. He’s nothing but a punk and a coward.

He points his finger at someone, makes statements that can ruin that person’s reputation for the rest of his life, then runs like a coward when it’s time to man up and explain his comments.

And it’s funny watching Bills fans defend him by blaming the media or making other excuses for him. The same Bills fans who gave Patriots fans a hard time for defending Brady the same way.

66. LeSean: “I said something really stupid and every time I say anything else I dig myself a deeper hole in which to hide.”
    Mungman69: “Keep quite LeSean.”

67. flaky cheap loser will struggle this year…can’t wait….always thought he was a punk….didn’t realize he was such a dope.

68. the guy’s skill are declining…what till he rushes for 22 yards in some games this year….gotta laugh when a fool keeps talking..

69. Typical race baiter. Drop the race bomb and then cower back to “I don’t want to talk about it.” C-O-W-A-R-D

70. Remember when he flat out called Chip Kelly a racist and he received no flak from the media? Chip could’ve sued McCoy for an attack on his character but didn’t. So according to all the Patriot haters logic, he must be racist!

71. The Sean (he’s a French dude, right?) is going to have a long day when they play the Eagles. 10-1 he has a “tight hammy” that day.

72. How do you all mention best BILLS of ALL TIME and leave out OJ.?

Just because he wound up being a murderer you can’t just erase History. Andrew Jackson commited genocide and is still on the $20 bill

73. wallabear says:
    Jun 3, 2015 3:16 PM

Shady’s just mad ’cause he knows he’s on a losing team. AFC East (2015):
    1. Jets: 11-5
    2. Patriots: 10-6
    3. Dolphins: 9-7
    4. Bills: 6-10.
    ___________________________

You lost me at Jets : 11-5

74. “I don’t regret nothing I say”

Wonder why he keeps ducking Chip’s calls and dodging media questions if he really feels that strongly about it.

75. EJ says:
    Jun 3, 2015 4:23 PM
    What scrp2 meant to say was:

Top 10 Bills of all time:
    2)OJ Simpson- Regardless what he did or did not do,
    Simpson was one of the best to play the position in his time.
    3)Jim Kelly- Even with no Super Bowl wins, A great QB, even better man.
    ———————————————

Yes thank you^^….I am no Bills fan by any means….but the truth is the truth

76. I haven’t been a big fan of what Chip Kelly has done this offseason, but comments like the ones McCoy makes, gives me a lot more faith in Kelly and a lot less in guys like McCoy.

On a side note, how many double negatives do you think Lesaun can say in just a few sentences? I’d be curious to count them sometime…

77. The dude is severely “Butt Hurt”. Otherwise he wouldn’t keep flapping his lips about it.
    Karma Lesean ! Probably Bad Karma !

78. McCoy is playing a worn out game, but they pay him to run the football, not to be a Mensa candidate. Oh, and isn’t McCoy who “can’t let it go.” It’s the media who WON’T let it go.

Oh, and FYI for the knucklehead GB fan. While I’ll grant that just like the Eagles (McCoy’s FORMER team) and Bills (McCoy’s CURRENT team) the Vikings have NO Super Bowl wins … McCoy DID NOT and still DOES NOT play for the Vikings. The last time I looked their #1 RB was some guy named Peterson! LOL

79. EJ says:
    Jun 3, 2015 4:23 PM
    What scrp2 meant to say was:

Top 10 Bills of all time:
    2)OJ Simpson- Regardless what he did or did not do,
    Simpson was one of the best to play the position in his time.
    3)Jim Kelly- Even with no Super Bowl wins, A great QB, even better man.
    ======================================

GREAT list. Thurman Thomas at one time in the late 80’s (89 to 93) was the BEST all purpose back in the league. He took games over. I bet there are times he was 75% of the Bill offense. Anyone that remembers OJ can still see him making other teams defensive players look like Pop Warner players. OJ was amazing with a offensive line that was no where near the quality of an Emmitt Smith. OJ could have ran for 3,000 yards with that offensive line, that’s how good he was. Jim Kelly was a great QB for an extended period of time. Anytime you can go to 4 Super Bowls or even championship games in a row, you know your QB is special. McNabb should be looked at very much the same way, great QB & a very good man & it’s sad his hometown fans treat him as they have.