Jerick McKinnon excited to learn from Adrian Peterson

Getty Images

Even if quarterback Teddy Bridgewater isn’t willing to declare the team contenders just yet, there’s little doubt that the Vikings got better with the return of running back Adrian Peterson this week.

What’s better for the whole won’t be great for running back Jerick McKinnon’s chances at a big role in the offense, however. McKinnon showed well during his rookie season by running for 4.8 yards per carry in 11 games before a back injury ended his season and would have been in line for a starting role had Peterson remained out of the picture. He’s focusing on the positives of Peterson’s return, however.

“It’s an opportunity to learn from the best running back in the game,” McKinnon said, via the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “The physical standpoint of athletes at this level is going to take care of itself. But it’s more about the mental aspect and knowledge and stuff like that. So I just get to learn more from him, keep growing.”

The Vikings have found work for Peterson’s backups in the past with both Toby Gerhart and Chester Taylor seeing 100-plus carries in years when Peterson did the heavy lifting. The coaching staff has changed since those years, but if McKinnon shows as well as he did last season he should still be able to get in the neighborhood of the 113 carries he had last season.

53 responses to “Jerick McKinnon excited to learn from Adrian Peterson

1. Hopefully it’s not grammar, punctuation or spelling that he wants to learn from him.

2. The Vikings are getting stacked with talent at the rb,wr and TE positions. Also on D line and defensive backs. I’m sure we have our franchise QB. Zimmer is putting together a very solid,young,fast athletic team.

It’s good to be a Vikings fan…..

3. He is a completely different style runner than AP but he is so quick to the hole.

I hope he gets a good amount of carries this year to give AP a rest here and there.

Great attitude also on this kid.

4. jerick is a good runner but a bit of a jingle foot as chip kelly would put it. i also question whether his body type and running style are going to be able to hold up to the nfl game on an extended basis. as a 3rd down back/change of pace with AP though i like him and the backfield in general with asiata back there too.

5. Learn what exactly? Learn the best branches on a tree to switch your 4 year old? Learn that you should save your 3 fumble games for the NFC championship? Learn how to win exactly 1 playoff game your whole career?

Peterson has a lot of experience to draw upon, its just not the stuff you want to pass down to your young players.

6. “there’s little doubt that the Vikings got better with the return of running back Adrian Peterson this week”

And anybody that doesn’t think so is just kidding themselves.

7. I’ll start by saying I’m a Vikings fan. With that said I’m not sure what Jerick would learn from Peterson as stated it won’t be grammar or PR related I hope. Peterson is a potential HOF RB, but not because of his knowledge of the game, it is pure, raw talent. I’m not sure he reads defenses well, understands how to let his blocks set up, or is a great mastermind of any particular offense he is just a one of a kind talent, and I don’t think that is transferable. This vikings fan is tire of AP talk and would rather the focus be in the improving D, great coach, or Teddy talk.

8. I’d like to see Adrian get about 280 carries and McKinnon get around 150. Both guys should be able to average around 5.0 yards per carry and both are explosive. That combo platter is going to be tough for other teams to stop.

9. It will be nice watching these talented running backs this year, but not as nice as watching Teddy Bridgewater drop back to pass. Last December, I had the feeling he was going to complete every pass he threw, and that isn’t something I’ve felt as a Viking fan for a long time, if ever.

10. whatjusthapped says: Jun 4, 2015 2:56 PM

——————————

1) How to run for 2k yards in a single season.
    2) How to be league MVP
    3) How to carry a team into the playoffs even without quality quarterback play (Christian Ponder).
    4) How to bulldoze over NFC north defenses like they aren’t even there (often because they aren’t even there until he’s already past them.).
    5) How to lower the boom rather than step out of bounds a la every other RB in this league save Lynch.

11. getadealdonealready says:
    Jun 4, 2015 3:09 PM

——————————————
    Great post! I too am a Viking fan and agree with pretty much everything you said. I remember back in 2011 I was chastised for saying the Vikings would be wise to trade then simply because I didn’t think he was a good all around back and I thought they could get great value for him. He’s a great runner and one of the most explosive backs in the league but I have always questioned his pass catching, blitz reading and blocking skills. Of course he shut me up with his 2012 season and the fact I thought he improved his pass catching skills. But in my opinion he still isn’t a great all around back. Great running back, yes. Not all around back. I classify great all around backs as Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte, LT, Shady McCoy types that do everything. However, there is no questioning APs raw talent that makes him one of the best in the game. As for McKinnon, he’s not as strong as AP and therefore I don’t believe he has a lot to learn from him in that aspect.

12. I look forward to the day when Teddy Bridgewater is this team’s unquestioned leader. It’ll be the best thing for everyone involved.

13. If he can read blitzes on passing downs, he’ll get plenty of playing time. He sure won’t learn that skill from AP.

14. “stacked with talent at… wr”
    “the NFC North is ours”
    “Time to add a Super Bowl trophy”

Seriously, if anyone can provide info on whether any fans of another third place team with a losing record have ever talked this much delusional trash, I would be fascinated – and very, very surprised.

15. If our O-line doesn’t play better than last year, I don’t care who carries the ball, we’re not going to be very productive. I know they were a banged up unit last season, but even early in the year when they were relatively healthy, they seemed to miss alot of blocks. Hopefully, it was caused by the fact that they were just trying to learn a new system. To me, this unit is our biggest question mark going into this season. I think if they can have a solid year, then we can challenge for the NFC North title. If not, we’re probably looking at a 7-9 win season. Looking forward to it though!

16. Agree with the comment below. Not sure that Jerick is an every down back that was going to someday replace Peterson. Scares me that 1st year in the league, he has already had back surgery. Not sure that any back surgery, makes a player -good as new-. Because RBs take such a physical pounding, these injuries have a likelihood of causing additional problems and possibly a short than normal career. Asiata though, does not have a running style that compliments Peterson, like he did last year with Jerick. I only see him in at end of games that are out of reach or when Peterson is injured.

jebdamone says:
    Jun 4, 2015 2:47 PM

17. McKinnon credited Peterson with a lot of his success last season. McKinnon was not a RB in college and was asked to switch positions once he got to the NFL. Peterson has basically taught him how to be a running back. McKinnon said last year that one of the most important things he learned from Peterson was having patience at the line so the blocks could develop, instead of just taking the ball and running as fast to the hole as he could, which would usually result in him running into his own linemen. Anyone who thinks McKinnon isn’t going to learn a whole lot more from AD is kidding themselves.

18. thevikesarebest says:
    Jun 4, 2015 3:10 PM

It’s gonna be great watching ap and teddy year apart that pathetic packer defense.the NFC north is ours.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Vikings are 4-12-1 against the Packers since drafting Peterson.

The Vikings are 0-2 against the Packers since drafting Bridgewater.

19. I can see you’re ready and willing to cheer on your favorite child abuser, though it makes many of us a little ill.

Since Green Bay drafted Eddie Lacy the Packers have outgained the Vikings on the ground at about 1/3 the price.

The results are going to be the same as always.
    Tavaris Jackson, Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel or Teddy Bridgewater, it doesn’t matter.
    They are all about the same talent wise.

2014 Vikings.
    0-7 against teams with a .500 record or better.
    1-5 against the NFC North.

20. This offense will have no trouble racking up 800 yards a game against the TRADITIONAL horrible roster of stench green Bay calls a defense!

21. 1969nflchampions says:
    Jun 4, 2015 3:22 PM

Time to add a Superbowl trophy to our 1969 NFL Championship.
    ==================================
    Wow! Really? You guys won the 1969 NFL Championship?

Funny, but most fans get excited when their team wins the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Stanley Cup, etc. I haven’t heard too many fans get excited about their second place finish.

For instance, I’m pulling for the Blackhawks to win their 3rd Stanley Cup in 5 years (Yes, they beat you again, Wild fans). If they lose to Tampa this year, I’d look like a loser if I ran around yapping about the Blackhawks 2015 Western Conference Championship.

Maybe that’s not such a bad idea. If the Hawks lose the Cup this year, I’ll change my name to 2015 Western Conference Champions.

Of course, the 1969 NFL Championship is the equivalent to the Vikings NFC Championships in 1973, 1974, and 1976. There’s really no difference except for an “L” and a “C”.

I salute you Minnesota Vikings. Second place in 1969, 1973, 1974, and 1976. I can’t wait for the parade, can you?

22. I would like a parade to celebrate things that didn’t happen in my lifetime.

23. Big time packer stock holder chiming in! Why don’t we sell more stock so someday we can have a shiny new stadium and get out of our high school stadium?

24. wafflestomp says: Jun 4, 2015 4:44 PM

———————————-

We’re ready and willing to give a second chance to someone who has admitted his mistake, apologized for it, paid for it in the millions $$(legal fees and lost endorsements) and is striving to be a better person/father by adopting the proper disciplining techniques counselors and therapists have shared with him. Shame on us…our entire judicial system…Christianity…and our entire society’s since all of them are founded on the principal of giving second chances.

But alas the Sconnies have spoken, AP is beyond all redemption, his soul must be banished to the 8th circle of hell in order to appease their Cheese-lord and justify excessively selective self-righteousness.

Guarantee that if the same circumstances had occurred with Aaron Rodgers, every last one of you sconnies would not only be defending him now, but wouldn’t have acknowledged he did anything wrong in the first place.

Also Asiata and McK split the work load, but combine they ran for more yards, and even more telling, a HIGHER YPC than LACY. So even without AP your running game couldn’t keep up with ours despite us missing 2/5ths of our starting OL and starting TE.

25. This offense will have trouble racking up 80 yards a game against the TRADITIONAL NFCN Winning Green Bay defense! And don’t forget about our two annual losses to them too!!

26. Hey guys, big time VIKES guy here!

I’m hoping that McKinnon learns a lot! Let’s not kid ourselves, I love my guy PETERSEN, but he’s no spring chicken. I’m betting 1000 yards is pushing it for him this year, especially after missing a year.

But who knows…maybe Cordarel can kick it up a notch and catch 20-30 passes this year!

27. The Viking’s are the least relevant team in the history of sports. They have never won a Championship or Superbowl. They’re constantly at the bottom of the division and if and when they’re not, they screw it up because they’re so miserable and pathetic.

They will be 4-12 this season, maybe 5-11.

28. Big time Viking USED URINAL TROUGH OWNER chiming in! Why don’t we sell more urinals so someday we can buy participation trophies to put in our new double-wide stadium?

29. poorcalvinisstuckonthecrappylions says:
    Jun 4, 2015 5:36 PM

The Viking’s are the least relevant team in the history of sports.

)))))))))))))))))

Tokyo you say the same thing too often. Irrelevant and zero championships. worst troller out there.

30. purplepackerhater says:
    Jun 4, 2015 5:30 PM

wafflestomp says: Jun 4, 2015 4:44 PM

———————————-

***********************************************************

No, I’m not opposed to 2nd chances, but I laugh at all of the purple hypocrisy that’s occurred throughout this ordeal.

I found it hilarious that so few of your ilk were the least bit outraged at his acts of violence against his children, weed smoking while he probably should have been in parenting classes and the failure’s of his “charity foundation”.

But once he wanted off your pathetic team, how quickly you all turned. Ready to put his feet to the fire, so to speak.
    And as I stated previous times all would be forgiven once he donned the putrid purple jersey again.

2nd chances are important in life.
    But then again, playing in the NFL should be a privilege, not a God given right.
    That stands for all players.

And if I ever saw photos of a severely beaten child at the hands of Aaron Rodgers, that would be the last time I would ever root for him again.
    I guarantee that.
    Some people have integrity, some don’t.

31. “Lesson 1: You’d be surprised how many leaves fit in there. Don’t be afraid to overstuff.

Lesson 2: You need a stick you can grip. These 5 year olds won’t respect a wimpy stick.”

32. As a big time packer stock holder, I feel ashamed we have so many unemployed packer trolls chiming in! Bless us, we do live in the wasteland called Wisconsin.

33. Also Asiata and McK split the work load, but combine they ran for more yards than Eddie lacy
    ————
    Glad your two guys together gathered a few more yards than our guy. Congrats. Doesn’t change the fact that Lacy is the number one fantasy pick this year does it?

34. As a big time packer stock holder, I feel ashamed we have so many unemployed packer trolls chiming in! Bless us, we do live in the wasteland called Wisconsin.
    ——-
    Now I realise that you say incredibly stupid stuff all the time to get attention, but man these last few days you’ve really hit a new level. And why bother calling yourself codythao or thevikesarebest, its not like you could say anything that would make us think less of ariani.

35. I like this guy wafflestomp he speaks the truth.
    Probably pretty hard for some some of you vikes fans to hear it though.

36. “Let’s keep hearing about those world championships from the leather helmet days.”

No, let’s not. Let’s hear more about the 7 (SEVEN!) World Championships the Packers have won since the Vikings limped into existence and won… nothing… ever.

37. purplepackerhater says:
    Jun 4, 2015 5:30 PM

***************************************************************

You might want to check your stats again.
    I think you’d be surprised.

I posted that the PACKERS (You know, as a team.) have outgained the Vikings since Eddie Lacy was drafted.
    This would include his rookie season when Adrian Peterson was still in the Vikes lineup.

That would be the year our MVP QB missed 8 games do to injury.

38. It’s not surprising how many Pactards post on Viking stories. What is surprising is that they have the balls to do it. The 3 biggest names in packer lore are Lambeau, Lombardi, and Favre. All 3 did everything they could to get out of green bay and on to another NFL team……Fact. Then after Lambeau swears to never again step on the green bay field, the packer front office sticks it to him by renaming the new stadium Lambeau Field. How about a little salt on that wound in the afterlife Curly? What a pathetic bunch of inbreds…..I mean packer fans.

39. ejmat2 – I’m with you looks like it isn’t popular opinion, but I too thought they missed their window to move this guy and make the team better, good news now is roster is shaping up very nicely.

pkrlvr – if Eddie Lacey is the #1 pick can I be in your league please!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Curly Lambeau wanted to get out of Green Bay so badly that he formed the Packers in 1919 in Green Bay stayed there for 30 years until a rift with management.

Vince Lombardi disliked Green Bay so much, that he left New York, where he was from, and coached the Packers from 1958 to 1967, and then stayed on as GM in 1968, and became coach and GM of the Redskins in 1969. Most Vikings fans don’t know this, but coaches often switch teams in their careers.

Brett Favre hated Green Bay so much that he stayed with them for 16 years, signing several contracts along the way, including a 10 year extension in 2001, because, you know, he wanted to get out of Green Bay.

41. Lmao, anyone who drafts Lacy first overall in any fantasy draft is destined for failure, guaranteed…..that is of course, unless it’s fantasy donut eating, in that case you’ve got the championship locked up before the season even starts.

42. igocommando says:
    Jun 4, 2015 7:13 PM

…The 3 biggest names in packer lore are Lambeau, Lombardi, and Favre. All 3 did everything they could to get out of green bay and on to another NFL team……Fact. Then after Lambeau swears to never again step on the green bay field, the packer front office sticks it to him by renaming the new stadium Lambeau Field. How about a little salt on that wound in the afterlife Curly…
    //////////////////////////////////////////////

Two words. Korey Stringer.

At least the other 31 teams in the league can say they never killed one of their own. This is Viking legacy only.

43. tokyogasblaster says:
    Jun 4, 2015 2:31 PM

He would be starting in greenbay!
    …………………………………………………………………
    If he played in Green Bay he would have won Rookie of the Year and started in the Pro Bowl

44. Brett Favre loved the Vikings so much that he played with them for 2 years and the Vikings desperately begged for him to come back, but he said no.
    ////////////////////////////////////////
    But that’s when the Govt. offered cash for klunkers and the Vikings let him go..