After back injuries, Tony Romo gives up offseason golf

Getty Images

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is one of the NFL’s best golfers, but he’s not playing at all this offseason.

Romo told Clarence Hill of the Star-Telegram that his back injuries have made him decide to put all his offseason energy into keeping his back healthy. There’s no place for golf in that.

“I’ve made it a competition with myself and I think that’s something that I’ve learned, that I’ve loved, which I’ve said before is competition,” Romo said. “I’ve made it a competition to be at my best with my back, with my training, and I think that’s allowed me to consistently get stronger each day, each week, each month since the surgery last year. It’s showing in the strength department being able to go longer periods of time.”

Romo said he doesn’t view giving up golf as a sacrifice, considering that a healthier back will make him better at his first sport.

“Well, I love football,” he said. “I think what you find is that you love the game of football so much that it’s easy to have other things take a backseat.”

That’s a wise decision for Romo. There will be time for golf in retirement.

67 responses to “After back injuries, Tony Romo gives up offseason golf

1. In other news, 12 more members of the 49er’s organization have retired this morning.

2. You’ve got to wonder how bad his back really is if he can’t play golf in the off-season. He’s going to be an orthopedist’s dream patient when he’s 50.

3. Romo, Bryant, and an Witten (one year older). Not sure that’s enough. If you could “plug in anybody” in the back field, why hand the ball to Murray 400 times last year. Big loss in the running game.

4. purple guy,

He didn’t say he ‘couldn’t’ play golf, he said he wasn’t going to, although, he actually made that announcement last season.

5. Love how the Cowboys made it to the playoffs for the first time in this millennium and he’s treated like the next coming. It’s almost funny, the high esteem Romo is held in.

Murray and Dez got him over the hump, but they’re closer to the end, than to the beginning. Romo has proven to not be a leader on the field or in the locker room.

The Cowboys are going nowhere.

6. purpleguy says:
    Jun 6, 2015 4:06 PM

Ever see a drive off the tee? The amount they torque their entire body has to put tremendous pressure on their back. Seems to me he realizes his limits as he ages and adjusts accordingly. It’s what all people do as we age 🙂

7. tothehouse101 says:

Finally taking fball seriously

————————————-

Yeah, because he didn’t take it seriously when he played with a freaking rib puncturing his lung or anything…

8. Actually the cowboys have made it to the playoffs at least 5 times since the millennium started.

And your opinion of Romo only shows that you have zero football knowledge other than probably the team you homer for. Do yourself a favor and watch more than 1 game a week.

9. I want to hate this guy but, he has earned my respect. He’s a tough guy and a quality QB. Cowboys are in a good position and nobody should be too eager to go against them this season.

10. The good thing about golf is you can’t deflate the balls like the Cheats do. Say what you want about the Boys, at least they have integrity.

11. “I’ve made it a competition with myself and I think that’s something that I’ve learned, that I’ve loved, which I’ve said before is competition,”

I am competition to compete too.

12. Good decision.
    If you’re not torquing the crap out of your torso/back when hitting a full golf swing the results will not be good.
    Plenty of time for golf post NFL career.

13. kd75 says:
    Jun 6, 2015 3:14 PM
    Now he has to hang around with the wife and kids.

—————————–
    That’s not all bad, either.

14. Good choice Tony. Window of opportunity is there for the taking,won’t be easy but Cowboys have a shot IMO. Good luck Dallas and all their fans out there.
    Dude is like a plus3 , he would’ve kicked Tigers butt today. Tiger is probably a plus 7/8 (?) , if they kept track, which means Tiger shot a net 92 or so today. Romo and lots of scratch golfers would have taken $ from Tiger today.

15. baronvonmonocle says:
    Jun 6, 2015 5:39 PM

tothehouse101 says:

Finally taking fball seriously

————————————-

_________________________
    you don’t really believe this do you??

16. Romo’s biggest concern is getting hit. One really good hit or an accumulation of few decent hits will be decision time to call it quits. I would if it happened to me.

17. Why not just go through the NFLPA, report the long term concussive effects, and get team to place you on PUP list? Or deactivate you for games.

Whoever his agent is should be fired. There were other ways he could have gotten time off if the concern was really his brain.

18. From an Eagles fan: the whole Cowboys organization started taking football a little more seriously when Stephen started running things instead of Jerry. They are now legit instead of a yearly circus.

19. Any one who believes Romo is not legit is just a plain hater thinking with some other part of his anatomy besides his or her head. Tony has done a lot of heavy lifting for those teams that went 8 and 8. Less than 1.4 second to throw the ball on average. Get off the COWBOY FAN PAGE if you want to hate. Jealousy is powerful.

20. justintuckrule says:

That’s how weak football has become. Golf is more dangerous.

——————————————————–
    Mostly for spectators when Gerald Ford was teeing off.

But seriously, its the worst thing to try and play when you have a dodgy back Unless its minigolf.

21. How about putt-putt golf?

No strain on the back there.

He could hustle Jerrah around the old windmill.

22. Having broken two transverse process bones myself, as Romo did in November, I understand the amount of pain it can cause. I gave up Golf & Basketball. I was told the only way to fix them would be 6 months in traction. Twisting, bending almost any movement can cause the bones too move and irritate the nerves. In my case it will even cause swelling in the lower back, just above the tailbone. While not debilitating, it does require caution and extended rest and rehab. He is making the smartest decision in order to extend his football career.

23. hobbs210 says:
    Jun 7, 2015 1:05 PM
    clearly the cowboys are still americas team from all these comments, fans everywhere
    —————————————–