Aaron Rodgers: Offense has the potential to be a pretty special group

AP

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has seen four straight seasons end with playoff losses since the team won Super Bowl XLV, something he says has kept his hunger for another title at a high level while also helping him “realize how special the opportunity really is.”

Rodgers thinks that 2015 will bring another opportunity to add a second ring to his collection. During a conversation with Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, he had a positive review of what he’s seen from the defense during offseason work and even more optimism about the offensive unit.

The Packers had three significant contributors to their offense hit free agency this offseason, but tackle Bryan Bulaga, wide receiver Randall Cobb and fullback John Kuhn won’t be wearing new uniforms in 2015. Green Bay re-signed all three players, which means the entire starting lineup of the offense that led the NFL in points last season will remain in place for another year. The Pack then added wide receiver Ty Montgomery in the third round of the draft, leaving Rodgers to compare this group to the championship team.

“We always feel like we’re going to be in the mix but offensively this is an exciting year when you look at everybody who’s coming back,” Rodgers said. “It’d be fun to get back to the kind of rooms we had when we were doing the Sports Illustrated cover with Jermichael [Finley], Jordy [Nelson], Greg [Jennings], Donald [Driver] and James [Jones]. Those were some pretty special groups right there. I think we have that potential.”

If the Packers can avoid a string of serious injuries, there’s little reason to think that scoring points is going to be a problem in Wisconsin this season. Based on the last four seasons, though, it’s also clear that’s not enough to win a title all on its own.

74 responses to “Aaron Rodgers: Offense has the potential to be a pretty special group

1. Facts are facts. If the defense can build upon their 2nd half of the season progress from last year, the Packers will have a top 5 offense and defense this year, to go along with a vastly changed special teams unit.

The division championship is probable, with a win total in the 12-14 range.

2. First round exit in a wild card lost in Minnesota to the Vikings this season. The cheeseheads will be even lucky to make it in the playoffs with that soft injury prone qb and that soft defense.

3. I hope you like playing with balls at 13 psi, Aaron. Because next year all QB’s will be playing with the same psi whether or not you like it that way. I see lots of complaining from QB’s next year with the balls.
    You can thank the incompetent NFL office for the changes.

4. I really hope there’s no lax with play calling this year and they just keep their foot smashed on the gas pedal if they get a big lead. I wanna see some 60 point games this season.

5. The Pack better be good. For you will be in a battle with MN for the North. If you think the North is yours just by showing up this season, you may be in for a surprise…..

6. The biggest aspect that I’m not sure how the writer never mentioned is Rodgers will be calling the plays. He is extremely competitive so the days of conservative play calling are gone. He is going to have another big year.

7. My Vikings can stop this offense. Heck, last season we held them to only 42 points through 3 quarters of play!!

8. Tony Romo, the first ranked quarterback, is the true 2014 NFL MVP. And Dez caught the ball.

9. The packers have the best QB in the NFL. MM’s offense is proven quality offense. It doesn’t matter who they plug in at WR’s or TE’s they keep producing. I know MM took the brunt of the blame after Seattle game but I disagree with that. I would put his offense up there with any team. I think it is better than say the Pats. They don’t need trick formations to beat a team. They problem with the packers is the defense.

10. Here come the Vikings trolls in 3,2,1… yes our team choked last year we know that so lets get that out of the way.

Anyhow, as a Packer fan I think this offense if they stay healthy can be a really special group. I still think they need a TE to stretch the field though. But what worries me the most is the defense. Can they tighten that group up? Time will tell.

11. The Packers best years are behind them. They were never that good anyway. The NFL stands for Not For Long. Lazy had a decent rookie year but is really not that good. Rodgers can’t stay healthy and the defense is getting weaker every year. Sorry Packer fans, your team is a wounded duck! Which is what Rodgers will be throwing a lot of with that poor offensive line!

12. “Aaron Rodgers: Offense has the potential to be a pretty special group”

Of course, he’s allowed to cheat. Really no excuse not to be “special”. NFL=two faced clowns.

13. Obviously, it’s very hard to not only get within reach of the prize, but to win it all. Getting there is half the battle of course, and they do a good job of getting themselves in a position to do great things. Falling short is part of the game, and choking, which they did, is easier to recover from that eating it every year. It’s easier because they know they have what it takes to get there again.

How many teams can’t even imagine contending as consistently as the Packers? The Vikings think they have what it takes to get there. Do they? The Vikings have finally learned that the all-in all-now method doesn’t work, and they too have adapted to the build-through-the-draft mentality, as demonstrated successfully by Green Bay. And they are now on the heels of the Packers.

If you want to get some idea of how hard it is to succeed in the NFL…..heck…….just ask them.

14. two hours since this was posted an one comment? Guess the hypocrites are still sleeping. Throw Brady, Belichick, Kraft or the Patriots in a title and let the hate begin. I just don’t get how Rogers gets a pass on his admitted cheating the system.

15. To the Viking trolls, don’t be surprised when your team goes 8-8 or 9-7. That’s a good record for that team. So please, don’t talk about contending. Rodgers is saying what the rest of the players think as well as the fans. It is super bowl or bust this season.

16. In the playoffs though, you have to have more balance, and McCarthy wants to throw the ball. It’s just part of his philosophy but that lack of balance will get you killed in the postseason.

17. as a packer fan I will say I am pretty excited for the season. I do recall Rodgers saying that he saw positives out of last years defense during minicamp and otas, but we all knew how that ended up before the bye week. so I wont believe it until I see it. and now that MM isn’t play calling the offense, I hope we don’t let off the gas pedal.

also how did the Vikings become so relevant? because they drafted and signed a few players? I don’t understand how so many people are so high on the Vikings on paper. I know they aren’t as terrible as they once were and are making progress, but they have to prove that on the field. I remember last offseason the bears were ranked so high and had high aspirations on the season because of what their paper said….

I would also like to add that when GB played MN last year in MN and they only won by a few points, realize that GB was running the ball and controlling the clock that game, they didn’t air it out much, it was as if they were practicing different game plans on a JV team. so while all you Viking fans have high hopes on beating GB this year and say they only lost by a few that game, just remember the facts. also, MN didn’t beat any team with a winning record last year( I think, I don’t feel like looking up stats).

18. themeccalambeaufield says:
    Jun 10, 2015 8:18 AM

__________

I think the writer didn’t mention it because it’s not true. No quarterback has called his own plays since Fran Tarkenton was scratching out plays in the dirt of Met Stadium. It’s impossible for a quarterback to keep track of personnel groupings and situations. I’m not sure how you could possibly have come across the notion that Rodgers would be calling plays.

19. Viking fans think they need to comment here and make delusional remarks.
    Thats, so, so sad….
    I remember along time ago , the Vikings beat the Packers.
    Since 2000, the Packers record against the Vikings:
    21-10-1.
    For you “I went to High School for 6 Years, I’m no dummy” Viking fans, that would be… 10-21-1

20. The only question I have is whether Aaron Rodgers will keep his footballs properly inflated, because he admitted to playing with over-inflated footballs. So I’m wondering when the Wells Report is coming out on Aaron Rodgers or does Ted Wells just go after teams like the Patriots that are easy targets?

21. Very legit comment by Rodgers — the Pack has the best QB in the NFL, a pretty solid O-line, two pro-bowl caliber WRs and an above-average RB — they likely will be a top 5 offense if they stay healthy. As painful as it is to admit, even with an average defense, the Pack is the best team in the NFCN by a pretty wide margin. Of course, I still hope my team kicks the Pack’s collective arses in 2015. . . .

22. Appreciate the rational comment, purpleguy. Your team is on the rise, and it will be closer than it has been for a while. That’s a good thing for us too, because better competition creates motivation for improvement.

23. The Packs problem is poor coaching, MM won a SB early on, but he’s been mediocre ever since. He’s been very lucky to have the best QB in the NFL to bail his butt out.

24. fmc651 says:
    Jun 10, 2015 8:35 AM
    =========================================
    They don’t need trick formations, just a very lucky call against Dallas to move on to the next round where, as usual, their offense struggled in the red zone. When Tom Brady needed scores, he got them.

25. “We haven’t had the kind of physical talent as far as size here in a while, some of the battles we’ve had with our division teams at times — where you walk on the field and feel like you’re kind of a JV team.”

Arron Rodgers 6/19/2014

At least he’s honest.

26. “We haven’t had the kind of physical talent as far as size here in a while, some of the battles we’ve had with our division teams at times — where you walk on the field and feel like you’re kind of a JV team.”

-Aaron Rodgers 6/19/014

At least he is honest

27. The picture up top is Aaron Rodgers kissing off any chance the Minnesota Vikings have of finishing with a winning record in the 2015 season.
    Forget about winning the division, Vikings fans, you guys will be doing cartwheels if your team can just finish with a .500 record!

28. Green Bay’s D was nasty in the last few games after moving Clay Matthews to ILB. If they can build on that then they’re going to have a good defense too.

29. pastabelly says:
    Jun 10, 2015 12:29 PM
    When Tom Brady needed scores, he got them
    //////////////////////////////////////////

Really? Who won at Lambeau? Who needed a score and didn’t get it? Who got the snot sacked out of him to secure the Packer victory?

Hello?

30. greatfootballmind7 says:
    Jun 10, 2015 12:18 PM
    Championships??? With 14 teams in the league? What a joke
    /////////////////////////////////

Didn’t everybody else also have the same number of opponents? Plus, there would be a greater concentration of available talent with fewer teams.

Hello?

31. It’s fun to read Vikings’ fans comments. What they lack in football knowledge, they make up for by being amusing.

Everytime they call the Packers a JV team, one-dimensional, or poorly coached, they just denigrate the Vikings even further, seeing as the Packers are 9-1-1 against them in the last 5 years.

The jealousy is palpable.

And the comments about Rodgers being soft and injury prone. His games started per year look like this:

2008 16
    2009 16
    2010 15
    2011 15
    2012 16
    2013 9
    2014 16

He didn’t play 7 games in one season due to a broken collarbone. An injury that took longer for Tony Romo and AP (in college) to heal.

And then you have the Vikings fans calling the Packers “chokers” in the NFC Championship Game. Funny because you have a team that choked in 3 NFC Championship Games and 4 Super Bowls, despite the fact that they had a HOF coach, a HOF quarterback playing behind two HOF lineman, and 3 HOF defenders.

When you guys rag on the Packers, its embarrassing to watch. Grasping just to say anything to burn them, and then watching it explode in your face. Sad.

32. Actually the Packers have more wins against the Seahawks, but hey who would expect a Vikings fan to actually do some research. you gotta love them poor Vikes fans , no Super Bowl wins, most Playoff loses.

33. lindacaseauthor says:
    Jun 10, 2015 3:10 PM
    The Seahawks own the Packers (and will continue to do so)
    ////////////////////////////

Yup. Agreed. But when they visit Lambeau in September they won’t have any phantom TD’s given to them instead of an INT, and they sure as heck won’t be handed the game on a silver platter because of poor play-calling by the coaches.

The Packers manhandled the Seahawks all afternoon last January. The “12th Man” was so embarrassed, over 40% of them left before the sun, moon, and stars came into a gratuitous alignment.

That won’t happen again.

34. grogansheroes says:
    Jun 10, 2015 7:53 AM
    /////////////////////////////////////

Oh, I’m so sure it will be a problem for him.

35. Rodgers is absolutely right. If it wasn’t for him playing at half strength and a few miscues in the NFC Championship game, on the road no less, the Packers would have been in the Super Bowl. And if they were, well who would say that the Patriots would have been the winners? Point is, the Packers retained their core players, trimmed the fat, added some muscle, and should be primed to make a run for the Super Bowl this year. I think the Packers beat the Ravens in the Super Bowl, 34-27

36. frank booth says:
    Jun 10, 2015 3:28 PM

Everytime they call the Packers a JV team, …

————————-
    Please note neither I nor any other Viking fan on here called the Packers a JV team. I myself merely pointed out how Aaron Rodgers himself made this statement.

Jesus Frank, I know you are not a Packer fan but you sure have the reading comprehension of one.

But I guess my previous comment has “exploded in my face” because you said it was so and now my day is ruined. 🙁

37. dennisatunity says: Jun 10, 2015 7:42 AM

“You still have to get past the Seahawks to get to the Super Bowl. And you couldn’t beat them when Wilson had the worst game of his career!”

Lil’ Russ had the worst game of his career because he couldn’t solve the Packers defense. Just like he couldn’t solve the Pats defense at the goal line in the Super Bowl. Why do you think the Seahawks haven’t signed him long term yet? It’s because any QB in the league could win with that defense.

38. cheeseisfattening says:
    Jun 10, 2015 4:59 PM
    ////////////////////////////////////

He made this (similar) statement you are referencing…….in regards to the defense….in one game …..against Jacksonville in 2008!

And you probably know this, Mr. Honesty.

39. My guess is that you get the gist of what I’m saying. I’m surprised someone would take the time to be such a nitpicker. My grandma was like that.

40. Have you ever seen those videos of young men purposefully taking shots to the crotch, and seemingly enjoying it?

That’s what the Viking fan “usual suspects” on this site remind me of. They throw out antagonistic nonsense and Packer fans retaliate by verbally kicking them in the crotch.

And they like it! They must, because they keep coming back for more and more, time after time.

41. Here is the exact quote.

“I think we’re a bigger, more physically intimidating team,” Rodgers said. “We haven’t had the kind of physical talent as far as size here in a while. I think there’s been times — I think back to playing Jacksonville in ’08 in Jacksonville [a 20-16 Packers’ loss], some of the battles we’ve had with our division teams at times — where you walk on the field and feel like you’re kind of a JV team.”

Aaron Rodger 6/19/2014

Is Jacksonville a division rival? Now who is Mr. Honesty?

Oh wait, I forgot that thing about Packer fans and reading comprehension. Not to mention Packer fans patting themselves on the back.

42. metitometin says:
    Jun 10, 2015 10:26 AM

8 27

Give it up, maybe if Brady would have admitted it there would have been no need for the Wells report. Brady’s punishment is more because he did not cooperate than what he did. I have never heard that Rodgers used any footballs that were not approved by the officials before the game, however I have heard that Brady’s ball boys deflated footballs after they were approved which is the difference. I don’t hate on Brady, he is a great QB but what Rodgers does or did is gamesmanship and what Brady did or does is cheating.

43. metitometin says: Jun 10, 2015 10:26 AM

————–

I would greatly appreciate you providing proof of this. All the articles I read indicated Rodgers preferred footballs that were more inflated than were allowed. So he inflated them knowing full well that the refs would test them and deflate them to specs. He merely hoped the refs would not test them. If you can provide proof that the footballs were not tested, thus not properly inflated during the game, go ahead and call the NFL.

44. People are talking about Ty Montgomery and rightly so because he is a versatile player that fits between a Josh Cribbs and a Randle Cobb in terms of talent. However I expect Jeff Janis to take the #4 WR spot leaving Abbrederis on the Practice Squad (or IR with his health record). Montgomery will likely play every Special Teams unit and make it on the game day roster as the 5th WR. It should be an exciting year for the Packers especially if the defense can just be average. Back to Janis though, will be the next Jordy Nelson, but with more athleticism. The coaches are really liking him up there in GB. I wish he was on the Chiefs.

Janis
    40: 4.37 Vertical: 37.5 Shuttle: 3.98 3 Cone: 6.64

Nelson
    40: 4.51 Vertical 31.0 Shuttle: 4.35 3 Cone: 7.03

45. codythao35 says:
    Jun 10, 2015 7:55 AM
    Packers will always stumble as long as they have McCarthy and Rodgers making the play calls. Mental error every time.
    ————————————
    If 3 Conference Title Games (A Superbowl win) and lots of playoff appearances and a top 5 offense every year is “stumbling” …

Then great…. I’m glad to be “stumbling” – stumbling onto this success train we’re riding while the vikes are “succeeding” in firing coaches every year, wasting one of the best HBs of all times career (1 playoff win!), signing washed up Packer players and not making the playoffs.