49ers send a simple, strong message in wake of gay marriage ruling

On a landmark day for the rights of homosexuals in America, one player chose to make it a negative.

One team chose to make it a celebration.

The 49ers just tweeted out a simple message in the wake of today’s Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage, their logo in white over a rainbow flag, with the message “#LoveWins.”

Of course, the idea that any humans should have the same rights regardless of sexual preference might be controversial is still somewhat odd, but the 49ers deserve credit for taking the stand.

Unlike the craven decision of Vikings cornerback Josh Robinson, who made his feed private after equating homosexuality to pedophilia and incest, the 49ers aren’t likely to delete this one later.

While they might represent a city more open to alternative lifestyles than most, not all of their fans are going to agree with it. They did it anyway. And like the Panthers calling for the removal of the Confederate flag in the wake of the Charleston church shootings, it’s a strong use of a strong platform.

And that’s something not enough players, and not enough teams in a sanitized-for-TV league are willing to risk.

Photo credit: 49ers official Twitter account

89 responses to “49ers send a simple, strong message in wake of gay marriage ruling

1. Worse week since desegregation for bigots in America, rivaled only by the day we elected Barack Hussein Obama as president.

We’re in for a heckava weekend.

2. Can we please keep sports a-political? Everything today is divided…sports is the last bastion to bring us together and they go and do this…. c’mon man..

3. Can we please keep sports a-political? Everything today is divided…sports is the last bastion to bring us together and they go and do this…. c’mon man..
    ____________________________________

4. Use the scroll wheel on your mouse and scrolllllllllll right on past the post. It’s what I do when I see a post I have no interest in. You’d be surprised how effective scrolling right on by can be….

———————-
    Yes, i get that…and often do – my point was not everything has to be red/blue in this world…

5. And the only reason everyone’s mad that he compared it to incest and pedophilia is because people who say “love wins” don’t agree that those types of love are equal to gay and straight love. Kind of bigoted and ironic in all reality. At least those who are against gay marriage are against all of these things and won’t call them equal

6. I don’t know if the organization supports the Supreme Court’s decision or not, but considering it’s Frisco, the tweet is just good P.R.

7. Sports players and teams should stay out of,political situations that our very controversial. They offend millions of people who are sports fans and don’t care what they have to say. Period!!

8. Support a decision of our Supreme Court rewriting the Constitution instead of doing its job of upholding the Constitution? Where does the Constitution speak about marriage? It speaks of gun rights, but those will soon bite the dust.

9. Poet, this is the first time you’ve actually posted something that I actually agree with. I’m with you in this, my adversary.

10. Good day for the LGBT community and conservatives. We just got the government smaller by getting the getting the government out of the lives of LGBT people. I’m assuming conservatives are thrilled about this because they’re all about small government.

11. Flags don’t kill people and most gays aren’t football fans. If you want to marry your buddy I really don’t care but please everyone stop the PC police insanity – at least keep it out of sports.

12. This isn’t about segregation it’s about you not having someone else’s beliefs forced on you by our government the state of California voted down gay marriage by a large majority didn’t know Mr York was a leftist but in any case Hes alienated a lot of the fans another smooth move by him just stick to football

13. This has been San Fran’s unofficial logo for decades. Will there be a gay rights month like there is for breast awareness? Just think of the jersey sales. Bring on the decadence.

14. In other news the LGBT community has sued the 49rs organization for infringing on their trademark.

15. Ugh… Here come the publicity hungry corporations with the “look over here! Look how tolerant we are!!” As their CEO’s will begin smoothing people of the same sex on camera as they try to outdo each other.

Sad part is if public opinion shifted back in favor of traditional marriage we wouldn’t hear a peep from them.

16. dawgman66 says:
    Jun 26, 2015 5:24 PM
    _____________________

You don’t get to vote on the rights of your fellow Americans. Your life is the same today as it was yesterday and the lives of the LGBT community has gotten equal protection under the law.

17. Live and let live. Just wish they’ll bake their own cake instead of forcing or ensnaring Christians to violate their beliefs and get punished or called vile names. Just live your lives and enjoy your loves. No need to be insecure and to force others to accept your lifestyle. About that flag. It’s SF.— Why can’t sports be just about sports? Can’t we just relax and enjoy pure sport without this divisive social, political noises?

18. coreydean says:Jun 26, 2015 4:53 PM

As we celebrate equality today, let’s spare a warm thought for our opponents, who lost absolutely nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is brilliant! Have an upvote!

19. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion, if a same sex couple want to get married I don’t have a problem with it.. but how do we observe freedom of religion, permit same sex marriages but then outlaw polygamy? .. It seems Islam as well as Mormonism are gonna eventually have their day in court too.. It’s only a matter of time.

20. I don’t understand why straight people care if gay people get married or not. I’m not gay or religious and when I heard they made it legal my reaction was I don’t really care. It doesn’t affect me one way or the other. What is it about people who want to control what other people can and can’t do? You say you don’t want people trying to force you to accept their lifestyle and I get that, but how do you know the difference between displays of same sex affection? You see two gay people kissing or holding hands and it offends you, how do you know whether they’re married or not? It’s not like they are gonna stop living their lifestyle just because they can’t get married. It just seems like religious people worry more about other people than they should.

21. Yes I am sure our countries founders had the gay, lesbian and whatever people in mind when they penned the constitution.

It’s a sad joke how this important document is being used these days.

22. Yes I am sure our countries founders had the gay, lesbian and whatever people in mind when they penned the constitution.

It’s a sad joke how this important document is being used these days.
    ___________________

I totally agree. We need to go back to our founders way of thinking and make black people 3/5ths of a person. These North East and West Coast liberals are crazy with wanting to treat people equally.

23. San Francisco might be the first market you’d expect to see such a message of diversity pop up, but it’s still stands out when a team in the money-driven corporate world of the NFL take any stand that could be considered controversial.
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————

“Controversial”?

Puh-lease! In today’s climate, controversial would be an anti-gay stance, not one supporting gay rights (as the Vikings’ Josh Robinson is finding out).

I’m pro-gay rights and gay marriage, but c’mon let’s not act like the team is taking a risk here.

And while I do think their gesture was genuinely earnest, I would not be surprised if they start selling merchandise with that logo.

24. all these people who say no political view point in sports,but the same will say NOTHING when an athlete mentions religous ideas,so your hypocrites,, and to the 49ers ,, i loved it,,,as a raider fan,today i am a 49er fan too

25. giantsfanlewis says:
    Jun 26, 2015 5:04 PM

————————————————-

Lol. Incest is illegal for obvious reasons, and pedophilia often has nothing to do with love. So no, it’s not bigoted or ironic at all. The irony is that people who are “against all of these things and won’t call them equal” are actually calling them equal by being against all of them.

26. The constitution was written with the intent of ensuring all citizens are treated equally, that is all citizens not just the ones the majority favors.

No one is pushing anything on anyone, just let people live the people they want to love, you might not be so angry.

This ruling equates to the ruling striking down inter racial marriage, go back and look at the argument used against at that time.

Don’t let your religious beliefs allow you to believe they should be forced on others, if you believe God is against gay marriage let God decide what to do with the individuals in courser of time.

27. Its hypocritical of a pro football team do this, even the 49ers. On the one hand they want to celebrate diversity, but in their locker room they would have a tough time accepting someone who is gay and that player stays in the closet, so to speak. They didn’t even give Michael Sam a shot. Pro sports should stay out of it if you can’t accept it in own club.

28. Who cares? Don’t care if you don’t support gay marriage. Don’t care if your gay and want to get married. Why should I? None of my business. I do find it funny that the people who don’t want gay marriage put so much effort into it. Gay marriage has become legal in my state and many others. Haven’t noticed anything different since it happened. Can someone please give me a way it affects you??? I think god would rather hang out with a gay married couple than anyone crying that they get married.

29. Haunts81

If a 16 year old girl thinks she’s in love with a 50 year old man is that not still considered pedophilia? Yet it’s still Two consenting people. And same thing with a brother and sister. Brother and brother or even cousins who are “in love.” The point is people ar epic king and choosing which love to accept either way. Just because uou think it’s wrong doesn’t mean those who do it think it is. So they could use the same argument that gays do that it shouldn’t matter because they are in love. So yoy denying them but saying gays have every right is bigoted

30. Why do the gays want to be recognized in marriage when it belongs to a man and a woman, husband and wife?

If, you are gay, you are making a statement of rejecting the purpose of male/female relationships, with #1 being marriage.

I love the Rainbow and I know why it was placed in the sky for us to admire/appreciate. It has nothing to do with the gay agenda. It is ironic that they chose that symbol for their desire – or was it meant to be? Hmmm

31. The debate was never really about equality except when you talk about money and benefits. Gay people could already do all the things involved in marriage except have legal recognition. The only reason to want that is money. Now they can receive spousal death benefits, tax write-offs and other legal protections afforded to a typical marriage. They also don’t have to deal with being considered legally abnormal any more. The decision should also eliminate the need for the protected class status of LBGT but you won’t hear anyone try to do that.

32. Of course, the idea that any humans should have the same rights regardless of sexual preference might be controversial is still somewhat odd,
    =======================================

It’s odd if you’re a Christianphobe. Get off your high horse and stop pushing your views on readers, the majority of whom disagree with you.

33. Well to each it’s own..they can marry their pet bird for all I care…all I know God created “Adam and Eve, and put them in this world to reproduce..
    He didn’t put Adam and Adam. or Eve and Eve…
    I would like to see two men reproduce naturally, the way it was meant to be….why do people have to change the Laws of Nature? every living being or thing is born to into this world to reproduce and bring forth more of it’s kind..why can people see that?

34. I think the whole point of that ruling is that this is not an “alternative” lifestyle. It’s a *primary* lifestyle for millions of people who now have the same civil rights as their fellow citizens.

35. stillers213 says:
    Jun 26, 2015 5:21 PM

Actually…. um… you forgot me. Us lesbians LOVE football. And nobody marries their ‘buddy.’

(your flag comment is stupid too, but i’ll leave that for another day.)

36. It’s funny when ppl reference the Bible on gay marriage.. The Bible also says that the earth is the center of the universe and that the world is flat.. I suppose even the sopposed words of God can be wrong… most of the time.

37. I’m going to push for polygamy…. I’m in “love” with more women than my wife… I should be protected from all those “bigots” and “Christians” . Just because one of them is 17, no biggie because it’s my life and she consented, right. You people should really study what the agenda is before you post your stupid views! SMH… And by the way, decisions like this, against the spirit of our constitution, affects everyone, not just one group. This is just in line with the fall of this country. Yeah I know… I’m just a hater right?!

38. The Creator still has the same view from above on the day he made Adam & Eve as He will on the Day when we all stand before Him. He has never changed His mind on this subject.

So the saying goes ‘Buyer BEWARE’ – for a reason.

39. They play, practice, and headquarters are 1 hour + drive away in Santa Clara, not SF.

40. God have mercy!!! God said he made man for women and if man is with man or women with women it is an abomination. Woooo to you you do not have Jesus as the center of your life for eternal life in Heaven. We are in end times and the true Christian will be raptured soon. Then the World with out the Holy Spirit will see what a World controled by the devil is like for a few years before the Lord destroys as we know it. God have mercy!!!

41. Is it gay people that everyone is upset about or gay sex? everyone is accountable for their own actions believe it or not but Jesus said love one another as I have loved you. He didn’t exclude anybody.

42. The Bible says the universe is 6000 years old, supports slavery, slaughtering women and children, stoning rape victims, and Jesus was dead wrong when he said he would return within the generation of the people he was talking to. But yeah, we should totally let the Bible dictate what we will allow others to live their lives.

43. I’m glad I am not a 49ers fan. I’d be embarrassed about being a fan of theirs on this day.

Because you are really proud of your bigotry by saying God told me that not all people are equal? Airhead.

44. The fact that people actually believe in a 6,000 year old earth and that we all came from 2 people is more troubling to me than who gets married. If people were to mind their own business then it never would’ve become an issue in the first place. If you aren’t participating then how or why would God punish you? Worry about your own beliefs in respect to your own life and it’ll all work out.

45. mongo3401 says:
    Jun 26, 2015 5:56 PM

It’s a sad joke how this important document is being used these days.
    ———————-
    I take it by your idiotic comment that you’re opposed to equal rights. You’re still pissed about the confederate flag right?

46. I was a little taken back by all the vitriol towards the Patriots on this site. It’s refreshing to learn how many back woods, bigoted, nut jobs troll here. It makes your opinions laughable in retrospect.

47. Marriage is about family, not just love. Same sex couples can’t naturally procreate. Like it or not, nature has a built in prejudice against that. Don’t shoot the messenger, and don’t get mad when the truth tells you what you don’t want to hear.

48. If the Founding Fathers came back today, I think the first thing they’d ask is “What’s this we hear about women voting?” Or “Who’s that guy living in the White House? Is he one of Jefferson’s kids?” Marriage equality is probably really far down the list.

49. “Five days from now, we’re going to fundamentally transform America”….
    Seven years after he was elected we now see this president has clearly transformed this country in many ways it will never be the same.

50. “Good day for the LGBT community and conservatives. We just got the government smaller by getting the getting the government out of the lives of LGBT people. I’m assuming conservatives are thrilled about this because they’re all about small government.”

When was the government getting INTO the lives of LGBTs? What a moronic statement.

51. raiderrob21 says: Jun 26, 2015 8:03 PM

————————————————————–

And yours soon will be 8 hours south in LA.

52. It’s not that hard to understand WHY it’s a big deal when sports stars or teams make such statements. Millions of people read about them and talk sports all day long. Their messages are powerful and have a long reach. If they keep saying that bigotry and racism are wrong, then maybe those people with some of the more conservative/ religious views will rethink their views of others. It’s not “PC liberal” stuff. It’s about joining the 21st century and accepting equal rights.

53. FYI, the responsibility of the Judicial branch of our governmental system is to interpret law, not uphold it. The Legislative branch creates the laws and the Executive branch is responsible for – you guessed it – executing it. So, no, the Supreme Court is not there to “uphold” the Constitution, or protect outdated standards.

54. solo681 says:
    Jun 26, 2015 7:40 PM

So the saying goes ‘Buyer BEWARE’ – for a reason.
    —————————-
    I guess you never learned about the birds and bees, your parents were the creators.
    Adam and Eve, really? The Bible is the greatest fairy tale ever told, and I hate to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy either. Get a clue.

55. rslibertarian says:
    Jun 26, 2015 4:56 PM
    _____________________________

Your logic is faulty on two points. First, the NFL is exempt from taxes as a non-profit organization. They lobby for special rules pertaining to everything from their broadcasts to their union contracts. Sports are political. Second – how is treating all Americans the same divisive?

56. uwsptke says:
    Jun 26, 2015 10:49 PM
    ____________________________

You aren’t a historian, are you? One of the biggest debates before the country was formed was slavery. I suspect many of the founding fathers would be glad to see who is in the White House and feel like the country righted one of their wrongs.

57. 5to46hawkfan says:
    Jun 26, 2015 7:34 PM
    ____________________________
    You definitely aren’t a scholar. The constitution is based on equality. The country was founded on that principal. All that has happened is equal protection under the law for all Americans with respect to recognizing marriage between consenting adults. (17 is not an adult.) It is fully within the letter and spirit of the constitution. The thing about America is that you can push for what you propose, and you can post “stupid views” and everyone else can post their views. That’s another part of the Constitution you’re enjoying this morning.

58. Easy everybody; can’t we just look at this a local team marketing themselves to the audience they do business in? Of course not as this is the PFT comments section

59. What upsets strict Constitutionalists is that there was never a vote by the people on this issue, not even by Congress.

The Supreme Court is to interpret laws of Congress and the Constitution. It is not the function of the Court to legislate from the bench.

We are supposed to be a nation of the people, for the people, and by the people.

We are NOT to be a nation of what 9 polit bureau members tell you to be.

60. “Sports players and teams should stay out of,political situations that our very controversial. They offend millions of people who are sports fans and don’t care what they have to say. Period!!”

Unlike you, apparently they don’t care if they offend bigots and racists.