Josh Robinson apologizes for anti-gay comments

Getty Images

Vikings cornerback Josh Robinson had some stupid things to say about the Supreme Court legalizing gay marriage across America. After the inevitable backlash hit, he thought better of it.

Robinson, who tweeted that allowing two gay men or two gay women to marry each other is comparable to allowing a man to marry his own 6-year-old child, has issued an apology. He has also deleted the tweet.

I apologize for any offense my tweets may have caused,” Robison wrote in a text message to the Star-Tribune. “In an attempt to express my beliefs, I created some confusion with my choice of words, and for that I apologize. I do not equate the Supreme Court’s decision on marriage equality with other social issues. There are obvious differences. However, I do believe that God’s laws will always supersede man’s laws. This belief is not from hate for anyone but from a love for my God and all those he created. Again, I’m sorry!”

Robinson is right to apologize. Even if it sounds like the type of apology that someone told him to write, rather than a sincere realization that what he said was wrong.

57 responses to “Josh Robinson apologizes for anti-gay comments

1. “This belief is not from hate for anyone but from a love for my God and all those he created.”

Orwellian doublespeak.

2. Who cares seriously they aren’t asking you to marry a man and no one is asking you to go to the wedding. If marriage didn’t have legal advabtages it would be one thing but if you are going to combine church and state by making marriage have legal benifets then you can’t deny it to two men.

3. And Gods law will be anything that either benifiting him or just doesn’t affect him whatsoever like the case here.

If it did I’m sure he’d fine some reason why God’s law wasn’t so all powerful then.

4. Most folks do not realize it but things like anti-gay stance or incest are something that we humans came up with as part of our moral stance & it is constantly evolving. I don’t think there is a proper right and wrong here. It is all based on how our minds have been wired by society.
    Stuff like incest will obviously mess up things biologically but is it really wrong between consenting adults if we think about it beyond biological and legal ramifications ?

5. jacobslatter says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:03 PM
    No semi-unpopular opinions are allowed in these United States anymore.

———————————-

They are allowed but they are also allowed to be criticized, this is something conservatives don’t seem to get. You can be a jerk all you want and I can call you jerk for it.

6. If you truly believe in God’s word then why are you ignoring “We are all made in God’s image”, “Judge not lest ye be judged” and “Love your neighbor as thyself”. I 100% respect your right to honor your faith Josh, but you seem to be ignoring some very important parts of it.

7. “God’s law” is like a deadbeat father coming in telling his baby mama how to raise the child but is never around.

8. nonetruerthanblue says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:04 PM
    God makes no mistakes, and newsflash Robinson…gay people are born that way. It’s genetics not choice. Chew on that, you moron.
    ————

People are also “born” to be attracted to their siblings, animals, possibly even a parent/child relationship etc…

Do you support legalizing all those as well? Probably because you think it is morally wrong. So you’re okay with other moral laws that we have because they happen to align with your own.

But if someone else draws a moral line that is different, or more conservative than your own… Well surely they must be uneducated biggots. Gotcha…

9. nonetruerthanblue says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:04 PM
    ——————————————————————

Show me these genetics, please.

10. His comments weren’t “anti-gay”.

They were directed at people that kept saying…”love is love..no matter the circumstances”, which is why he gave the pedophilia examples of a 30 yr old man and a 10 yr old girl claiming they love each other, would those same people saying “love is love” be okay with it? His delivery sucked, but some of us understood what he was getting at.

As for the article, an apology was best and I’m glad he actually took the time to write it instead of having the ol agent do it.

11. Jun 27, 2015 12:04 PM

Sooooooooo…You essentially are saying whaaaaaaaat? Then pedophiles and incestuous parents are born that way too? God makes no mistakes, is debatable, but Josh’s comments were on point. When will child loving parents, pedophilia, young marriages become the next acceptable thing in our society?

12. It’s amazing how professional athletes think their opinions matter. No one really cares what you think. But they all chime in on society’s issues and whatnot, mainly to call attention to themselves, not the issue..

13. buckybadger says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:09 PM
    jacobslatter says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:03 PM
    No semi-unpopular opinions are allowed in these United States anymore.

———————————-

—————————-

And there it is……….I love the moronic liberals who can only equate a “Political group to a logical thought process”. Moron….not all conservatives are against “social rights for gays”….and not all “liberals” are FOR them!!

14. buckybadger says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:09 PM
    jacobslatter says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:03 PM
    No semi-unpopular opinions are allowed in these United States anymore.

———————————-

Yes, they are allowed to be criticized. And I can call you a jerk too. Always been that way. The problem is, and its on both sides of the argument, that no one respects anyone else’s right to have an opinion that isn’t the same as theirs anymore. Sad state that this country is in.

15. For the record, Josh, Jesus spent much of his time preaching against the love of money and condemning the religious hypocrites of his day.

When a crowd gathered to throw stones at a women accused of sexual immorality, Jesus got between them and her.

Christians profess to be “like him”, but so few lack the will to actually do it.

16. Many people have fought for equal right regardless of race, creed or color or beliefs. The fact that Josh is of African-American decent, you would think that he–of all people would be a little more sensitive on issues of equal rights. He is playing today because crusaders before him fought for the right for black people to be accepted in the NFL. Civility is not a sign of weakness and sincerity is always subject to proof. Josh should remember that.

17. packerfansarefat says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:21 PM

“I love the moronic liberals who…”

“..stop making everything about political party..”

————–

Slow clap.

18. My problem is not with it being legalized as much as it is the way the mainstream media is forcing this down everyone’s throat. Also, this is America, where all supposedly all are free to express beliefs and opinions, so why is it that anybody who publicly disagrees with the legalization of gay marriage gets bashed and made to look like an insensitive bad guy? Contradictions everywhere..please respect my anti-gay beliefs the way I respect your pro-gay beliefs.

19. And the athletes opinions obviously matter to you if you care enough to reply to them on this article. Also; do you honestly think the athletes care whether you think their opinions matter or not?

20. Now that we have legalized same sex marriage maybe we can also finally make it legal to be black, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic in this country as well! 😂

21. “Wake up America and stop making everything about political party divide and more about common sense conversation!!!”

Can you explain why not one Republican presidential candidate, and there is about 20 of them, came out in support of the Supreme Court’s ruling on marriage equality?

They are all on an arch from Ted Cruz (and many others), who wants to change the constitution and have states not implement federal law, to John Kasich who doesn’t support marriage equality but states it is now federal law and states need to abide by federal law. Most are closer to Cruise on that arch.

In contrast, every democratic presidential candidate came out in support of the Supreme Court’s ruling on marriage equality, even those that had opposed it in the past (mostly for political expedience) and the president congratulated the lead plaintiff in the case to congratulate him publicly.

22. Damn, why do people who follow their religious beliefs think other people should too? I don’t tell anyone, regardless of religion or their beliefs what they should or shouldn’t do. People make me crazy with all this nonsense. If two people you don’t know want to get married who cares? I think it has some legal benefits as far as why some do it but I’m not sure because I don’t care what a bunch of people I don’t know do in their personal lives. Incestuous parents and pedophiles prey on weak and non-compliant victims and not consenting adults. They aren’t acting out of love, it’s a mental sickness where these people don’t equate their victims as people but more as objects. I don’t think being gay is a mental illness, regardless of what some religious people say. So making that connection speaks more to hatred of gays than it does to sanctity of religion. And how hard is it to let people decide for themselves what is best for them?

23. “Show me these genetics, please.”

You might try doing some basic searches not eh web. This is proven fact that science has well documented, not some fairy tale from ancient times that you persist in believing today.

24. another example of freedom of speech being crushed if you say something the gay liberal agenda does not agree with. so sick of them being able to say whatever they want whether it is offensive to anybody else or not but let this guy or anyone else say something they don’t like and they must issue a phony apology and attend a re-education…er sensitivity training to try and get them to change their views.

25. chucklewis13 says:

=======================================

Most black people do not equate a sexual behaivor with their skin color. The black vote put Prop 8 over the top in Cali.

26. No genetics support your claim.

No science proving climate change

Blah blah, quit trying to make it fit your agenda.

Those that yell louder of tolerance are not tolerant at all.

Go preach to those who feel guilt about these things because no one else is listening.

27. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:52 PM

“Show me these genetics, please.”

_______

Web searches are not science. Try doing some real research if you can. If it’s all about genetics, tell me why identical twins are rarely both gay. Most research indicates that the environment has more to do with it than genetics.

28. packerfansarefat……….moronic liberals……..common sense conversation………………

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Something seems out of place here.

29. vikings1976 says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:15 PM
    “I’ll take things that bubble players shouldn’t say for $200 Alex.”
    ———————————————————

Freaking awesome, dude!

30. The overlords who now control free speech got to him, like Chris Culliver, and forced him against his will to change his tune…OR ELSE!!!!

31. And, in the history of the internet, the number of hearts and minds that were changed after participating in a message thread is… ZERO!

32. It’s Sad that if a person speaks out against something that is morally Wrong, he or she is the bad person. I’m sorry but I just can’t applaud folk for being gay. That doesn’t mean I treat them differently as a result. I still subscribe to the theory that, if you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

33. Vikings cornerback Josh Robinson had some stupid things to say about the Supreme Court legalizing gay marriage across America. After the inevitable phone calls from the entire Vikings staff hit, he thought better of it.

Updated for the sake of clarity.

Must’ve been feeling frisky after those Adrian Peterson “led” off-season workouts.

34. “jusanewuhcount says:
    Jun 27, 2015 10:40 PM
    It’s Sad that if a person speaks out against something that is morally Wrong, he or she is the bad person. I’m sorry but I just can’t applaud folk for being gay. That doesn’t mean I treat them differently as a result. I still subscribe to the theory that, if you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.”

Of course you treat them differently. You also support denying them equal protection under the law. The history of gay marriage in Massachusetts is evidence that the hysteria warning of the ill it would cause was just nonsense. Past cultural norms and nonsensical hysteria are not reason enough to deny citizens equal protection under the law.

35. “No semi-unpopular opinions are allowed in these United States anymore.”

This is what you take from this? He was not facing suspension, fine or incarceration. He was not forced to apologize. His opinions were certainly allowed and were quite unpopular. I appreciate the honesty from athletes so I know who is a backwards moron and a reasonable human being.

36. Pretty much just like everything else. A bunch of people who don’t know squat about the topic. Just going by what some headline or celebrity/society wants them to believe. Without doing some credible research on their own.

37. metalhead65 says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:58 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

His freedom of speech was in no way violated. He was not jailed for this. He had no punishment for this. He spoke his mind.

After speaking his mind, people who disagree with him then exercised *THEIR* right to free speech to tell him why they thought he was wrong. This was not organized by a secret underground gay, liberal alliance. This was a result of people doing what they felt was moral in confronting bigotry.

Freedom of speech only protects your right to say things. It does not prevent anyone else from disagreeing with you. I think what you meant to say is, “I’m sick of my opinion no longer being the one shared by a large enough majority of people that I can express it without having any rebuttal.”

38. motleytrap says:
    Jun 27, 2015 12:28 PM

***************************************************

You left out the part where he told her to sin no more.