Giants yank long-term offer Pierre-Paul wasn’t inclined to accept

Getty Images

With Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul still hospitalized two days after a fireworks accident, the Giants have commenced the process of protecting the franchise from its current franchise player.

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the Giants have removed the pending offer on a long-term deal for Pierre-Paul.

And so the $60 million deal is gone; whether a five-year or four-year package, Pierre-Paul wasn’t going to accept it, not with $14.8 million for 2015 and $17.76 million for 2016 as a starting point. That’s $32.56 million over two years on the franchise tag, and quarterback money or $25.5 million for 2017. Which equates to nearly $60 million in only three years.

The question now becomes whether the Giants will make another run at signing Pierre-Paul to a contract that takes the uncertainty regarding his health into account, or whether he’ll sign the franchise tender and play for $14.8 million this year and, if they tag him again, 20 percent more than that in 2016.

The possibility that the Giants could place Pierre-Paul on NFI and not pay him a single penny for the 2015 season could prompt Pierre-Paul to stay away until he gets a clean bill of health, missing regular-season games not as a leverage play against the Giants but to ensure that, when team doctors examine his fingers, they’ll give him a thumb’s up.

74 responses to “Giants yank long-term offer Pierre-Paul wasn’t inclined to accept

1. Steve deberg played with a bone sticking out of his finger.

Ronnie Lott cut off his finger.

I am pretty sure no one cares about a finger in a defensive player

2. So let me see if your logic is right: Because he could make $14.8 mill on a 1-year franchise tag this year, you’re sure he wouldn’t accept a 4-year, $60 mill offer? Are you mad?

3. A “thumbs up”? Let’s not get hasty, for JPP, it could be a “thumb up”…

4. Nowadays, two days in the hospital is actually pretty lengthy. They usually try to get you out as quickly as possible.

Add in the timing of the pulled offer…..Are we dealing with a situation that is worse than we think?

5. Don’t teams require physicals after a contract is signed? Even if JPP rushed to sign it, Giants would have failed his physical.

6. Good for the Giants. Players do dumb things to themselves and live to regret things like this.

If I was set to make $15 million, I would make sure that I was as safe as possible.

7. I recall Darryl Tapp with a club on his lower arm causing and recovering a fumble when he played for the Seahawks.

8. I’m hearing conflicting reports on JPP’s health. Does anyone know if he will miss playing time? Are the Giants removing their offer because they don’t think he can play or because they are sick of dealing with him.

9. 4greatestvikingever says:
    Jul 6, 2015 2:04 PM
    Ronnie Lott would just cut them off.

——————————-
    So true! Lol. Different era. Different men. And I emphasize men.

10. bigbluplates says:
    Jul 6, 2015 1:47 PM
    Well at least he was explosive for one night.
    _________________________

You win

11. “…to ensure that, when team doctors examine his fingers, they’ll give him a thumb’s up.”

Yuk, yuk, yuk…

Can’t wait to see who lines up to sign him after we see him on TruTV on the latest edition of “World’s Dumbest Partiers.”

12. the hand jokes will follow Pierre Paul for the rest of his career, but it”s a pretty good indicator for the Giants to start planning for without him

13. Yeah, for $1.2 million a month or $41,111 each DAY, I wouldn’t leave my house in the offseason. A pro football career is only a few years anyway. I’d have my wife, daughter and dog around me 24/7. Once my playing days were over, I’d rediscover what sunlight and fresh air were all about.

14. Giants have some inside info they garnered and they did not like it. In this case I believe an employer has the right to know what the employees condition is. HIPPA law is pretty strict. But we all know some orderly will relay info on the sly for some $$$$$$. This, HIPPA is a non factor

15. This is the time of year I always enjoy our new nationalized healthcare the most. Every time some guy decides to look down a metal tube to see why the fireworks haven’t gone off yet, another premium increase gets its wings.

16. How can a team put a player that is not currently on their roster on the non-football injury list ?

I suppose if he signed the franchise tender after the accident they have a valid point but other than that the team should have no ability to stick him on the NFI.

17. To skip workouts for fear of injury and to get injured with fireworks, geez…. I like JPP but he is up-and-down to say the least but it’s always amazing that players have their best year during a contract year, why is that…. I cannot recall one player crying about their contract when they have a subpar season but let them have a good/great season and the here it comes— I want more money.

18. I am really disappointed, I was hoping to see JPP really show out this season. He had a decent season last year and was looking forward to him extending his stats for 2014 into the 2015 season. JPP, I hope your hand heals quickly and we see you back in Giants Blue this year.

19. Even though I am a longtime Cowboys fan, I can’t help but admire the Giants organization not only for this move but many moves in the past. Remember, a LONG time ago they hired Tom Landry and he was great (God rest his soul)

20. Clearing out the gene pool is a scary thing to watch. I read about a 22 year old in Maine that set off a huge fireworks thing on his head. Dead before he hit the ground.

21. There was 0% chance of him getting franchised twice, let alone 3 times. Giants are not stupid, they’re not blowing 17-25 mil on the cap on a solid DE whose star has faded over the last 3 seasons. Obviously he can make more if he got franchised 3 years in a row, but with no long term security, why would he or the Giants use a multiple year franchise tag arrangement as a starting point for negotiations?

22. magnumpimustache says:
    Jul 6, 2015 1:36 PM
    Steve deberg played with a bone sticking out of his finger.

Ronnie Lott cut off his finger.

I am pretty sure no one cares about a finger in a defensive player

———–

those days are long, long over. Those were the days when a football team felt like a family, so coming out of the game felt like abandoning your family. Now each player is its own cash producing entity. but this is the only way it could have become, with the owners being extremely greedy, the players had to look out for themselves. The pennies and lack of health care the older generations got is ridiculous.

23. vicnocal says: “So let me see if your logic is right: Because he could make $14.8 mill on a 1-year franchise tag this year, you’re sure he wouldn’t accept a 4-year, $60 mill offer? Are you mad?”

Your logic is not right. The article argues that JPP would not do a 4-year $60 mill offer because the franchise tag, if reapplied to it’s fullest extent, would get him basically $60 million over 3 years. Why play 4 years for $60 mill if you can play 3 years for $60 mill… at least, that’s how I read it.

24. “Hello! I’m Jason Pierre-Paul and I just finished my rookie contract with above-average stats. I can make big money that will probably put me in financial shape for the rest of my life if managed properly, with a guaranteed $14.8M this coming season if I wait. But because I apparently didn’t feel like using my head or listening to people with sense, I set my hands on fire and came close to blowing them clean off by playing with fireworks. Would you trust my decision-making skills with a long-term big money contract now?”

Giants brass: “No.”

25. According to Chris Mortenson, Tom Brady deflated 9 of Pierre-Paul’s 10 fingers. Don’t bother fact checking, it’s true, just roll with it.

26. Guys, they pulled his long term offer, not his tender. He isn’t going anywhere but the giants because no team is going to dish 2 1st rnd picks for a guy who burned all the skin off his hand.

27. I don’t know how JPP is going to hand-le this but whatever the Giants decide it will be explosive.

28. The Mara’s are not the stand up people they are made out to be. Well except for the o e with the cute butt on house of cards but that’s a different issue. They are collusionist greed mongerers. And that’s all I’m gonna say about that.

29. I hope JPP gets better and is able to play again this year. He wanted to show his kid fireworks and he made a mistake. What happened to him is horrible.

30. dryzzt23 says:
    Jul 6, 2015 1:53 PM

————————

I’d be wrapped in bubble-wrap watching fireworks on TV.

31. Can’t play that hard this year coach, burnt my hand bad playing with firecrackers. (why do I hear Sol Rosenbergs voice in my head right now)?

32. craigkintexas says:
    Jul 6, 2015 2:54 PM

————

The guy made the NFL and has had 5 good years missing only 5 regular season games and winning a Super Bowl. He’s accomplished a ton in his life. Now he made a mistake and he is in the hospital for goodness sake. Give him a break. Not everyone can be perfect.

33. rlpftt says:
    Jul 6, 2015 1:37 PM

I bet the desperate Bears try to scoop him up.

Yeah because going 5-11 and 6-10 is a HUGE difference in desperation. DERP DERP DERP

34. Pierre-Paul wasn’t going to accept it, not with $14.8 million for 2015 and $17.76 million for 2016 as a starting point.
    _____________________________

Perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this site. Let’s say JPP gets injured (which he has frequently) again this year. Maybe a re-injury of the back or possibly an achilles or micro fracture in the knee. He makes $14 million but no chance in hell he’s getting $17 million next year if he may not even touch the field let alone return to his current level. Now rewind and say he signs a $60 million extension with $25 guaranteed today. Those same injuries no longer hurt him in the pockets. Playing the “franchise tag game” only works if you can tell the future, AND the future says you will remain at the top of your game.

35. vicnocal says:
    Jul 6, 2015 1:37 PM

—————————————
    Why would he accept? $14.8 mill guaranteed this season and one big year from Pierre-Paul could have him hovering around JJ Watt/Mario Williams territory.

36. We need him and I hope and pray his injuries will not cause him to miss games. Lots of leverage and position established by hand checking–a DE needs his hands. If he has significant burns he can’t lift or practice–not good.

37. And richiethegreek is still upset that his pathetic Eagles have blown off every meaningful game in their 55 plus year history in the current NFL.