Brett Favre on Rodgers: “I like Aaron. Aaron and I get along fine”

AP

With not all that much to talk about in this, the slowest month of the NFL calendar, the round of interviews Brett Favre conducted yesterday in advance of his Packer Hall of Fame induction has provided plenty to talk about.

During an interview with ESPN Wisconsin, Favre said that despite the perceptions, there was no problem between him and the current occupant of his old chair.

“Was there animosity toward Aaron Rodgers [in the summer of 2008]? No, there wasn’t,” Favre said. “I like Aaron. Aaron and I get along fine. I knew at some point he had to play. I knew he had tremendous potential. All those things have come true, and I don’t feel like, ‘Well, what about me?’

“Again, my body of work speaks for itself. I’m a different player than he is. He’s a tremendous player and a great leader, and he’s doing exactly what I thought he’d do. When people try to create a wedge either with me and a player or me and the organization, there isn’t one. Life goes on, I understand that, and I’m OK with that. But again, what I did speaks for itself.”

Of course, there was certainly tension, as Favre was on his way out and Rodgers was on his way up. But Rodgers helped smooth things over, which sparked their onstage meeting at the February 2013 NFL Honors.

“As much as on-stage at the NFL Honors I think that was important for fans and the team to publicly see us coming together, I think time is the ultimate catalyst for things coming back together,” Rodgers said earlier this offseason. “Sometimes it just takes some time for people to move on and move past things. I was happy to be a part of that. It was fun for me to see Brett and do that little bit on stage with him.

“But this is a fun time for him, I think. He’s been obviously away from it for a few years now, and I think a lot of that stuff has healed up – I hope it has. And it’d be great to see him get his number retired, go up on the stadium facade – which is an incredible honor – with the other four legends – and obviously his Packers Hall of Fame induction. And then obviously next year, going into Canton will be great. So this is again a fun time for him, and hopefully people can look back and remember all the great memories, the streaks, the Super Bowls, the MVPs, the wins, the drama which always followed those games. It’ll be a fun time.”

Of course, Rodgers won’t be around for the fun in Green Bay later this month, as he’ll be busy playing in a golf tournament when Favre comes back to Lambeau Field for the ceremony.

52 responses to “Brett Favre on Rodgers: “I like Aaron. Aaron and I get along fine”

1. Well let’s face it, no matter what Rodgers would do on that date, some people would be sure to interpret it as “trying to show up” Favre. Both guys have said the right things, and I would hope we can leave it at that.

And I sure hope Rodgers WILL be there on Thanksgiving, although I suppose if he’s with the team in the locker room at halftime he’ll be “snubbing” Brett, and if he comes out on the field before the ceremony is over he’ll be “trying to steal his time.”

2. Someday kids will see Brett Favre and hear Brett Favre and not remember him as the gunslinging rabble rouser this generation remembers.

No, they’ll just say, “who’s that old dude who keeps talking about himself around Aaron Rodgers?”

3. Every article on Rodgers should be required to include that great GIF of him photo-bombing Olivia Munn’s sword practice.

4. Let’s do that thing where we list all the Viking QBs who have started during the Favre/Rodgers era. That’s fun:

Rich Gannon
    Matt Cassell
    Josh Freeman
    Teddy Bridgewater
    ????

5. Jay Cutler will QB for the Vikings eventually
    and probably Aaron Rodgers too, in like 2026

6. There is only one reason Favre is talking to the media so much lately, and we should all know what it is. He is purposefully putting his name out there. He misses the game.

7. Rodgers is better in every way, shape and form. Favre should be buried in his Minnesota Jersey. Sellout piece of garbage.

8. Will Brett shave for the ceremony, using his new fangled razor? Or, show up like a bum in his dirty ball cap? Who cares about Farve?

9. Assuming that the list of Viking QB’s from Carl Gerbschmidt is accurate it has at least 4 who where also at one point connected to the Redskins (Johnson, George, Ferotte and McNabb). This is an amazing accomplishment for both franchises. As I said before Rodgers is to Favre what Young was to Montana; all won Super Bowls and both the older QB’s took there new teams to conference title games. Perfect examples of teams not rebuilding but retooling.

10. Rodgers is a class act. He had every reason to snub Favre for the way the old vet treated him during their time “together”. Rodgers was treated like dirt by Favre from the day he was drafted. It was reported that Favre didn’t even say so much as hello to Rodgers for the first few months and absolutely refused to mentor him the entire time. Even after Favre was traded, he continued to take undeserved potshots at Rodgers and the team. It took a bigger man like Rodgers to heal the rift, yet Rodgers did nothing wrong. It was all on Bret.

11. Of course, what Farve conveniently overlooks is Rodger’s first two seasons in Green Bay as back up. At that time, Farve was famous for giving Rodgers the silent treatment while proclaiming to the public that it wasn’t his job to mentor anyone.

Just think, had he took the time to at least give the appearance of mentoring Rodgers, he could have reaped a big windfall in claiming credit for Rodgers level of play now.

Farve never had that much class to begin with, that’s why his transition over to the Vikings was so seamless.

12. Granada speaks the truth – which is that Favre was irked from the day Rodgers was drafted, and he let the organization, Rodgers and the media know it, through words and actions. That was the day I realized it was all about Brett, not the Packers. Well, I’m all about the Packers. I called my dad the minute the Packers drafted Rodgers and said “mark my words – if the Packers don’t pick another player, you’ll be thrilled with this selection”.

I used to be a Favre fan – but the way he treated Aaron and the organization was pitiful. Aaron may have moved on – he’s a bigger man than I – but Favre continues to be about himself. To this day he couldn’t care less about Green Bay. I have a sense he’d do the same thing all over again if given another chance. This man had a legacy looming large – and he buried himself. I can’t wait for December to roll around when he’s off the stage for good.

A Packers fan…..

13. ariani1985 says:
    Jul 8, 2015 12:46 PM

With my close personal ties with the company we beg to differ! Still mad at the epic loss!

ariani1985 says:
    Jul 8, 2015 12:51 PM

These 2 sure have a lot of playoff losses!

———–
    Didn’t you forget to switch usernames inbetween posts? I know you think it’s an insult to say they have a lot of playoff losses, but it’s really not. Just means we’ve been to the playoffs a bunch. Can’t be unhappy about that. Funny thing is, we have more playoff wins in the last 5 years than your team does appearances in the last 20. LOL.

14. Wow, 28 years (about 35 when its all said and done) of first ballot HOF QBing and only 2 Super Bowls to show for it. If only coaching and/or management weren’t always so enept they would have at least 3x that.

15. I find it funny that there are still so many Packer fans who are indignant towards Favre. Say all you want about him being a traitor, etc, but the Packers would have continued to suck like they had through the 80’s without him.

Both sides let their ego get in the way. Uncle Ted was just as stubborn as Brett. IMO the smartest thing they could have done is said that if you want to come back again that’s fine, but you are only welcome if you rip up your current contract and sign a one year deal. If you still want to play the following season you need to commit to a new deal at the start of the league year every season there after that you wish to continue to play. That would have put the pressure on him to make a commitment to playing, and not allow him to flip flop in his decision every off season.

16. Thanks for sharing that list of Viking quarterbacks, Carl. It’s amazing that the Vikings have had so much success while essentially changing quarterbacks on the fly every couple years. Not many franchises get to enjoy 23 years of starting just two quarterbacks.

I kind of think Packer fans take those two guys for granted. They’ve had years of elite quarterback play and just assume that it’s going to go on forever. We saw what happened in 2013 when Rodgers missed 8 games. A great quarterback covers up a lot of blemishes.

Hopefully, the quarterback carousel has stopped in Minnesota so we can get this rivalry going again.

17. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jul 8, 2015 12:06 PM

Which means WHAT exactly?
    You do KNOW how long the “Favre” era lasted don’t you?
    Nothing better to do than try to compare the Packers and Vikings?
    Geesh…

18. ariani1985 says:
    Jul 8, 2015 12:51 PM
    These 2 sure have a lot of playoff losses!

Yeah, all they have to show for their effort is 2 Super Bowl victories and 5 MVPs. Why bother?

19. 12coltsfan12 says:
    Jul 8, 2015 11:57 AM

Favre = over-rated narcissist

Rodgers = the real deal

————-

Superbowls = 1 each

Farve averaged 9.78 wins over 19 years as a starter

Rodgers averaged 10 wins over 7 years as a starter.

They are pretty close.

Rodgers is a great player but he has to step up soon if he really wants to be seen as the first or second greatest QB in Green Bay history.

Right now it’s Starr then Favre then Rodgers.

20. 2ruefan says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:55 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Jul 8, 2015 12:06 PM

Which means WHAT exactly?
    You do KNOW how long the “Favre” era lasted don’t you?
    Nothing better to do than try to compare the Packers and Vikings?
    Geesh…
    ———————————————————-
    It means the Vikings are completely inept at securing a NFL worthy QB and its also fun looking at that pathetic list. You know what they say if you cant take the heat get out of the…..

By the way have you proposed any more dares?

21. bridgeh2o says:
    Jul 8, 2015 2:38 PM

Translation= “Erin can’t hold my jock!”
    /////////////////

Wow, that’s almost as funny as watching my dog eat peanut butter. You’re probably one in a long list of Vikings fans whose favorite candy bar is the Charleston Chew.

22. Let’s face it, there’s a big element of luck when you draft a franchise quarterback because most of them were not the first pick of the draft. For weeks, San Francisco struggled to decide if they would take Alex Smith or Rodgers with the first pick. They chose Smith. Then every other team drafting ahead of the Packers that year happened to be pretty set at quarterback.

The Vikings had similar luck last year. All season long, people talked about “tanking for Teddy.” Then Teddy had a bad pro day, there was an overhyped Johnny Football focusing everyone’s attention, and the Vikings were able to trade up ahead of Houston to snatch him at 32.

If Teddy can be 80% of what Rodgers has been, there will be a lot of good years ahead.

23. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Jul 8, 2015 3:54 PM

///////////////
    And the sun looks yellow and steak tastes good and dogs are loyal. Why don’t you tell us something we don’t know?

BTW, don’t you think it’s about time you change your name to “In Teddy I Trust”. I’d have to think you’re in a minority here, even including your other Packers-obssessed Vikings friends.

24. angrylionsfan says:

____________________________
    Those aren’t Packer fans… They think they are or they are Viking fans posing as Packer fans.

25. jimnsota says:
    Jul 8, 2015 11:52 AM

Cant wait for Rodgers to be a Viking in a couple of years!!
    ——————————–

Giving up on Bridgewater already? I guess I don’t blame you.

26. Rodgers will always live in favre’s shadow for the simple fact that favre turned around a franchise that did very little for 25 years.

27. Pack will have 30yrs of alleged hof quality qb play. And will have a whopping 2 SB wins to show for it. Big Ben had 2 in his first 5 years.

And unless Rodgers gets another sb win, he won’t even get into the hall, let alone first ballot.

28. Entirely different men and different players with both being among the best and most talented to play the game.

Favre had the most enthusiasm of any modern day QB with a gun for an arm. He could get both the players and fans excited

Rodgers is likely the best QB I’ve ever watched play the game. Greatest precision and fewest turnovers in the league.